Code of Conduct

Default newbie perspective

this newbie has been enjoying your site for the last 3 mos. made some sample purchases and bought some bottles. i thought maybe i should contribute a little.

from a newbe perspective:

Wore Bulgari Aqua from my bottle for the 3rd time. each time i like it better. it seems more complex than i originally thought.-- a winner

Tried my sample of Guerlain Vetiver for the 3rd time. i dont get. but i wanted to.I dont understand where its going.

Tried my mini of Givenchey Pi again, and shared it with friends (who are not heavy into fragrance). We enjoyed the distinct note progression, but couldn't agree if we liked it better on a man or woman. sweet,woody,musky,tapioca. lots of fun.

Waiting delivery of Knize Ten, Gucci Pour Homme, Uomo by Fendi, and YSL Jazz.

Am I on the right track? I'll try to get better with reviews.
    Last edited by slimbob714; 3rd August 2009 at 08:03 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: newbie perspective

Hello!

Why, I don't see how you can be on the wrong "track"! Your journey is yours to make and whatever choices you make are to be respected. That being said, I am a huge fan of Bulgari Aqua too, lovely one isn't it? Don't worry about Guerlain Vetiver, it just may not be your thing, or maybe just not yet. I would certainly love to hear your thoughts on knize ten as I plan to give it a sniff sometime soon. Uomo, Gucci PH and Jazz are all great frags as well and I'm sure you will enjoy those! You will have fun on the boards.

Oh and Welcome!

Another Bulgari Aqua fan here. matthewfoo nailed it in his previous post.

I'll like to add that you should not be forcing yourself to like a frag even though everyone else is raving about it. I made that mistake before and wasted a lot of money. Some frags may take a few wearings in order to appreciate it. Others no matter how many wearings just won't work on you.

Everyone skin chemistry is different....keep buying sample and see what you like.....use the reviews as a reference...sometimes it takes a while for you to really love a scent

Welcome to Basenotes! Seems like you're trying lots of different stuff. Hard to get much farther apart than Bulgari Aqua and Knize Ten! I think this is a really good way to learn about and enjoy perfumes. But as the others have said the main thing is to be true to your nose. And of course this takes some work: to notice what you smell accurately, without letting to much language or expectation get in the way.
    We'll look forward to many more comments from you and I wish you oodles of pleasure in your meanderings.

If you want to approach vetiver more slowly, you could try one of the less bitter versions. My first thoughts are Creed Original Vetiver (sweet and bright) and Hermessence Vetiver Tonka (less sweet, but more pleasantly tangy than bitter).

Vetiver Tonka was the fragrance that finally made me say, "Oh, _that's_ vetiver!" I was having trouble teasing out the specific note before - in Guerlain Vetiver, it was so bitter that even though it was right in my face, I had trouble actually figuring out what it smelled like. And in Creed Original Vetiver it's so seamlessly blended with other things that it was hard to distinguish.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 4th August 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Welcome! We'll love to hear your reviews- you can always edit them later if you change your mind.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Institution

Hi Slimbob- welcome to Basenotes- you're onto an awesome start . Also maybe Guerlain's Vetiver will grow on you.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

to all thanks for the encouragement. bob

Good luck...Vetyver will grow on you! Maybe try some other Vetyers or colognes that have a drydown of vetyver!

If you can get your hands on Vetiver by Puig (discontinued) check it out. Or the fleeting yet excellent Roger et Gallet offering...

the best to you...

BTW, I am a big fan of newbie reviews and consider them among some of the most fresh offerings...

To experience the "beginner's mind" of a BN giant: check out Sir Slanty. He embodies "trusting your own nose" more than anyone I've read.
    Last edited by ortho123; 7th August 2009 at 12:49 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome to BaseNotes, Slimbob.

Vetiver can be challenging at first, and Guerlain's Vetiver especially. The recs of the previous posters are spot-on. If you still want a readilly available and relatively inexpensive vetiver-forward scent, you could try Givenchy Vetyver. I prefer it to the rather stark Guerlain. It is more sensual and has a nutty accord that adds to its allure.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Welcome to BaseNotes, Slimbob.

Vetiver can be challenging at first, and Guerlain's Vetiver especially. The recs of the previous posters are spot-on. If you still want a readilly available and relatively inexpensive vetiver-forward scent, you could try Givenchy Vetyver. I prefer it to the rather stark Guerlain. It is more sensual and has a nutty accord that adds to its allure.
    Just to add to the Guerlain talk: the issue with knowing "where it's going" is also an issue for Guerlain...as in reformulation...which Guerlain...

Good luck!

Your fragrance choices are, IMHO, excellent. Thus, I second my fellow Basenoter's eagerness to read the reviews, especially for the scents you mentioned.

Very nice collection you have there and I think Pi is not that bad but i don't like it too, I think you should try Nina Ricci Perfumes and you will be in the right track for sure. Good Luck!

What great experiments and tales from them. I hope Slimbob sticks around.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.