Code of Conduct

Default Blackberry & Vanilla Musk #9, a scent by Trish McEvoy

While out on a shopping trip with a friend, I decided to go straight for the Jo Malone section and try Dark Ginger & Lily and the Fig Cassis scent which were both pleasant. After that we were bombarded from an SA and she was trying to sell us this scent from a house called Trish McEvoy which to be honest before that point I had never heard of.

She sprayed onto my friends wrist and let us smell the scent, what came out was a complete surprise. The Blueberrrish top note accord was beautiful and something completely new. Before that I had never tried a blackberry scent but this one was soft and similar to the smell of a blueberry muffin.

Needless to say we ended up trying something like 25-30 scents after that which left my nose needing a rest. I wish I had took a carded sample with me as I think it was something investigating, if the middle and heart notes were half as decent as the blueberry top note I would be buying this scent soon. I wonder if the vanilla comes out in the basenotes.

Has anyone else tried this scent? if so how was your experience with the base notes.

EDIT: I also found that it was OK for men to wear.

sorry if I confuse people by describing it like a blueberry even though the scent is called BLACKBERRY
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 3rd August 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Default Re: Blackberry & Vanilla Musk #9, a scent by Trish McEvoy

Have heard of the house but haven't sampled anything .... until NOW.
    That sounds nizely different.

How does it compare to L'Artisan's Mure et Musc?

Trish McEvoy is better known for her makeup line. The Blackberry & Vanilla Musk scent that you tried also comes in an "intense" version which I believe is called Sexy Nine. I also was surprised at how good some of her scents are. I like her Trish #1 scent, which is a type of fragrance that I usually ignore - a clean, "laundry-ish" musk. What makes the #1 different is that there is an undercurrent of tobacco leaf in it - nice play of contrasts in one scent.

My girlfriend actually wears this and I love it on her. The mix of blackberry and musk create this drydown that is undeniably signature.

this combinations sounds really superb how do you think it will be on a man?

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    How does it compare to L'Artisan's Mure et Musc?
    I'm sorry but I have never tried this scent

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Trish McEvoy is better known for her makeup line. The Blackberry & Vanilla Musk scent that you tried also comes in an "intense" version which I believe is called Sexy Nine. I also was surprised at how good some of her scents are. I like her Trish #1 scent, which is a type of fragrance that I usually ignore - a clean, "laundry-ish" musk. What makes the #1 different is that there is an undercurrent of tobacco leaf in it - nice play of contrasts in one scent.
    mmm what's the difference between the intense version and the normal version if you know?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    this combinations sounds really superb how do you think it will be on a man?
    As far as I could tell (from the short time with it) it smelled a deep but soft blueberry and there wasn't anything about the scent that would deem it too feminine for a man to try.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 3rd August 2009 at 09:30 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I believe I read on MUA that Philosophy's FALLING IN LOVE is a copy of the McEvoy scent. FIL is blackberry/vanilla/musk but I've never compared the two my self.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    I believe I read on MUA that Philosophy's FALLING IN LOVE is a copy of the McEvoy scent. FIL is blackberry/vanilla/musk but I've never compared the two my self.
    I also read the same from the only reviewer available in the directory for this scent from trish McEvoy, and looking at the reviews for Philosophy's Falling in Love it does seem like more people would like it, if the two scents are similar. Perhaps I might pop in the same store and try the scents again with a fuller review... undecided yet.

From what I can gather, Sexy 9 has a more complex formula incorporating amber, patchouli and some floral notes. I've smelled both, and the original is appealing, but does smell simpler - which could be a good thing, after all. The Sexy 9 to me definitely seems more amped up on the musk, but it does not have any stronger of a vanilla or berry note.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 3rd August 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Falling in Love & Trish McEvoy #9 are fairly similar to my nose. I passed on buying #9 because I already had FiL. L'Artisan's Mûre et Musc Extrême (one of my favorites) also strikes a similar note, but is a bit more effervescent & complex, I think. It's also designated as a unisex scent, with the reviews splitting on whether it comes across as more masculine or more feminine. I agree with Jardanel's comment that the Sexy #9 version is a little more amped up, and out of all of these, it's the one I would most love to smell on a man.
    Last edited by tang; 4th August 2009 at 12:26 AM.

The lady speaks so we gotta test. Thanks

Does anyone know where in NYC one can try these scents out?

I can't believe my review is still the only one on this beautiful fragrance on basenotes! There are lots of reviews of it on MUA .

The base of vanilla lingers for many hours on my skin.

I have also tried both Mure et Musc and Mure et Musc extreme and both are worthy scents, less sweet and more musky. Perhaps a little more masculine to my nose. I would wear either of them though and I think #9 would be fine for guys as well. The Sexy #9 version I have sniffed but not fully sampled because it did not seem like a more intense version, but rather a different fragrance altogether. Perhaps I have not given it a fair chance yet.

There are more blackberry scents worth exploring too, such as CSP's Fruits Sauvages (I think this was renamed and perhaps reformulated as well) and Molinard's Mure (or blackberry). I'm not sure how available the CSP one is now. I bought mine several years ago and I think that one may have been discontinued.

Does anyone know where in NYC one can try these scents out?
    BGoodman's has it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    BGoodman's has it.

where in Bgoodman's? Do they have their own counter? I never seen them? any idea where in the basement they are at?

I have sampled TM scents at Nordstrom. They are at the cosmetic counter with the TM line of cosmetics. Another one to try is Precious Oud. It is too expensive for what it is, but pleasant .
    Evenstar

I found her line at Saks. #9 is what drew me to the counter. Very good scent. Don't remember a thing about as this was a couple years ago, but I remember loving it.

My mother wears Blackberry Vanilla Musk layered with the Mandarin scent in the collection. I've tried it myself and the citrus from the Mandarin gives it a nice spike and brightens it so its not so sweet and cloying.

where in Bgoodman's? Do they have their own counter? I never seen them? any idea where in the basement they are at?
    I just checked for it online D.
    As the op indicated, Saks apparently stocks them as well.
    Don't know about Nordstrom tho.