Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opium Pour Homme

I just sampled Opium PH EDT for the first time yesterday, and I like it, but it reminds me a bit too much of other fragrances I've owned before (e.g., Arpege PH) to justify a purchase. On the other hand, I've read the reviews of the EDP concentration of this one, and it seems almost unanimous that the EDP is better. My question is this: is the EDP a completely different fragrance than the EDT, or is it merely a more intense version of the EDT? What are the differences? Chanel has been known to market different fragrances as merely different concentrations (e.g. Chanel No. 5), and I'm wondering if YSL is doing the same with this.

I know I can go out to sample the EDP at a store, but work is going to prevent me from doing this for a while, and I'm curious as to what you all think of the differences b/w the two.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Opium Pour Homme

'Funny how frags are so different for each of us. I find absolutely no resemblance between Arpege and Opium.

Matter of fact, Arpege is one of the most vile frags I have ever worn and is assuredly in my top 3 worst scents of all time. Opium is one of the best frags I own.

I wear the EDP version of Opium and it is excellent. There are past threads stating the similarities between the EDT & EDP. Both are good to go. If you are ho-hum about the EDT version, chances are the EDP will impress you a tad more, but probably not enough to warrant a purchase.

I already love the EDT, its one of the most potent, long-lasting and sexy frags in my wardrobe, so for me, the EDP does not warrant a purchase. Havent tried it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    'Funny how frags are so different for each of us. I find absolutely no resemblance between Arpege and Opium.
    Agreed 100 %

Post Thanks / Like

Matter of fact, Arpege is one of the most vile frags I have ever worn and is assuredly in my top 3 worst scents of all time. Opium is one of the best frags I own.

I wear the EDP version of Opium and it is excellent. There are past threads stating the similarities between the EDT & EDP. Both are good to go. If you are ho-hum about the EDT version, chances are the EDP will impress you a tad more, but probably not enough to warrant a purchase.
    I've found over time that I'm not the best at classifying specific notes in fragrances, but both Arpege and Opium have a prominent note that smells, to me at least, like anise or black licorice (other people have told me that it's iris I'm smelling). To my nose, this note is very prominent in both frags, and I like it a lot, but it makes the Opium a bit too similar to the Arpege to justify buying it, although I've seen it at TJ Maxx for like $20. I do agree that all of this is a bit subjective. I've also heard Opium PH referred to as a fougere, which I don't understand - it smells like a woody oriental to me.

I think I'll sample the Opium again when I get the chance. I confess that I sampled it on a smelling strip, not on my skin.
    Last edited by shamu1; 3rd August 2009 at 03:01 PM.

For me the EDP is similar to the EDT, but stronger

It was my first ever BN recommendation and I love it , especially in cooler weather

This is a long-lasting and "safe" scent...my husband's choice for wearing on "date" when we dress up and go out.

This is not a statement-making scent, however...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't much get the Arpege comparison. Opium is great though and I've been meaning to track down the EDP for awhile now...

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the edt and edp is similar. But the Edp is richer and more "creamy" The edt is fresher in the opening notes. The sillage and longevity is the same. (on my skin). Both are great!
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 3rd August 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Another to consider is Rouge Royal for men. It seems like an attempt to "modernize" the Opium for men type of frag.

OUCH Arpege is pretty decent to me

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Another to consider is Rouge Royal for men. It seems like an attempt to "modernize" the Opium for men type of frag.
    hhhmm...I find Rouge Royal for men to be very much about cinnamon and florals.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    OUCH Arpege is pretty decent to me
    Sorry Bogart. I simply cannot stand it, but scent is subjective for sure. There are frags I love that others who are knowledgeable dislike intensely.

Other than some lavender (not much) what other floral is in Rouge Royal? I detect vanilla (possibly heliotrope), anise, pepper, iris/orris, and a melon-like top note. There may be some other spices, but I don't detect any one clearly. On me, the anise is a bit too strong, but on some days it seems to stay just on the "right" side of bearable. So, are you referring to the powdery iris/orris quality as "floral?" Just as lavender is usually not considered a "floral" element in men's frags, I generally don't consider the powdery effect of iris/orris as "floral," so I'll be curious to hear your response.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 4th August 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

the EdP is very classy and sophisticated I feel
    I have to be wearing at least a dress shirt to splash it on
    one of my favs!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Post Thanks / Like

You asked if the EDP was a different frag or a more intense version. Good question. It isn't that simple in this case. It's something in between. I could easily take a blind sniff test and distinguish between the two time and time again, therefore, I'd say they are different frags. While they are clearly distinguishable, they are also very much the same frag. For me, the biggest difference is that the EDP is sweeter- not sickly sweet, mind you, just sweeter than the EDT. The EDT has a sharper, more alcohol-like opening. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the EDP is creamier throughout with a spiced vanilla drydown. the EDT has the same accord but the spice in front of the vanilla and has less depth as a result.

This is all my experience. Yours could differ and probably would as I see very little similarity to Arpege PH. Though I can see where you could get that.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Arpege is one of the most vile frags I have ever worn and is assuredly in my top 3 worst scents of all time...
    AromiErotici, I agree completely! I thought I was the only one who detested Arpege. Out of curiosity, what are the other two of your worst scents of all time... just to see how they tally up with mine.

I own both and happy that I do but I think the EDT gives you a better display of all the notes. The EDP is very dense and is more concentrated on the ambery base. Anyway, a masterpiece.
    I'm not sure if Arpege is similar enough to consider this a duplication in a wardrobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I'm not sure if Arpege is similar enough to consider this a duplication in a wardrobe.
    That's a concise way to say it...I concur.
    Last edited by argogos; 4th August 2009 at 06:55 AM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was able to find a few minutes to drop by my local Marshalls tonight on my way home from work, and I picked up a bottle of the EDT for $19.99. At that price, I don't care if it's similar to Arpege. On my smelling it again right now, I have to say that it doesn't seem as similar to Arpege as I thought a few days ago when I sampled OPH for the first time. The anise-like note is still there on both frags and is prominent, but the Opium is just so much more spicy and exotic than the Arpege. In fact, OPH may be the most exotic smelling fragrance I've ever smelled. I'm glad I succumbed to the temptation and bought a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell why they share the same name in the opening. After that they go on totally seperate voyages.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I own both and happy that I do but I think the EDT gives you a better display of all the notes. The EDP is very dense and is more concentrated on the ambery base. Anyway, a masterpiece.
    Precisely! And the black-currant is more recognizable in the EDT. Especially in the opening notes.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 5th August 2009 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have order the After-shave-balm of Opium ph. Has enyone tried it??