Code of Conduct

Default Blue Jeans vs. Baby Blue Jeans

Hey guys:

it's been a bit of an absence for me for a bit (from reading and purchasing), but have some "extra" money to spend (or so I've convinced myself).

Came back to the game with a luckyscent order of Frank No. 2 and some samples, and now am finally gonna buy Himalaya (been on my list for 4 years now).

Anyway, I think I'll add on an inexpensive blind Versace purchase to my order, and I was looking for suggestions to the following dilemma: Blue Jeans vs. Baby Blue Jeans. I'm one for one w/ blind buys (Tauer's L'air Morocain), and shooting for 2 for 2; with your help that will be possible!

Thanks in advance (got some reading to do to catch back up after a layoff from Basenotes!)

Cheers,

ICS

Dependent

Default Re: Blue Jeans vs. Baby Blue Jeans

Both are fantastic. Both are herbal citrus. BBJ is much more lemony and sharp, while BJ is a concoction of sweet, sour, herbal. They both have this "dated" herbal note that smells similar to the older citrus classics like Eau Sauvage, but I can't make out what it is.
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th August 2009 at 02:29 AM.

OMG... I was just about to make the same thread.

"great minds think alike"
    I work 60% of the time...

everytime

The problem with Baby Blue Jeans is that it smells pretty good, but it has nothing particularly masculine about it. I gave my bottle to a woman who happily enjoyed wearing it.

Blue Jeans is a very masculine ambery fougere scent that I always think of as good, but which I never find compelling enough to wear much.
    Renato

Baby blue jeans for me, as a citrus scent that's easy to wear during the day. It's plain lovely, clean and powdery enough that a kid could wear it; I've actually bought it for my 12 yo son (and baby pink jeans for my daughter).

Keep in mind it really isn't your formal oriental or masculine fougere (as Renato mentioned above.)
    Last edited by jathanas; 4th August 2009 at 06:05 AM.

So is baby blue jeans too "young" for a mid-twenties soon-to-be-doctor? Wouldn't mind an additional "easy to wear during the day" brainless choice in my wardrobe...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by IMCS View Post
    So is baby blue jeans too "young" for a mid-twenties soon-to-be-doctor?
    IMHO, no, I think it is perfect for someone in his mid 20s, doctor or nurse

Edit: I do however agree that Blue jeans has a more masculine complex to it, while Baby Blue jeans is much brighter
    Last edited by MFJ; 4th August 2009 at 06:47 AM.

Out of these two, I'll choose Blue Jeans.

So is baby blue jeans too "young" for a mid-twenties soon-to-be-doctor? Wouldn't mind an additional "easy to wear during the day" brainless choice in my wardrobe...
    Depending on who you read here many years ago, it was meant for literally babies (in nappies) or for kids (like the depiction on the bottle).

Perfume World's description of it is,

Baby Blue Jeans (Baby/Children) : Picture 1995 Versace Profumi(I.C.R.) Italy

Olfactive family:Citrus

Olfactive description:Green Citrus Lemon Orange Ambery Woody

Remarks:Fragrance for Babies

Fellow perfume:Eau de Rochas

I suppose some would say it's handy for Kouros wearers.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 4th August 2009 at 07:22 AM.

So which one are you leaning towards, Sex Panter?

I like both.....have to go with Blue Jeans.....works best for me.
    Gary

Sur la Plage

I personally would not buy either of them. The only Versace Jeans fragrance I think worth owning is Black Jeans.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

So which one are you leaning towards, Sex Panter?
    I was actually looking at frags for my little brothers...

So I was leaning towards Baby Blue Jeans.

Although I have never smelled either... many reviews say that it smells like baby powder, and one of the top notes I know by heart is Lime.

Sounds like a youthful, fresh, fragrance that anyone could pull off.

How could you not? Haven't we all been programed since birth to LOVE the smell of baby powder and associate the smell with cleanliness?
    I work 60% of the time...

everytime

For a few bucks more (perhaps) get a high-quality frag like Lalique for men (lion).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For a few bucks more (perhaps) get a high-quality frag like Lalique for men (lion).
    A few more bucks ? I thought it was only within you to encourage less spending... on cheapies.

Like I said, it may not cost more. You can get it at parfum1, and when they have their 25% off sales, it's a great deal, especially if you want the EdP formulation. There is a huge difference in quality, IMO, so I would not bother with the cheap stuff. The "cheapos" I like are very high quality, such as Everlast Original 1910. Also, I just realized that Mustang by Dorall is a great frag for the money, similar to Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris. I'm not talking about a frag along the lines of Ulysse by Vicky Tiel (now that is the essence of "cheap"). Frags that have been cheap for many years are usually the ones to avoid ("drugstore" frags), whereas others are just being "discounted," and once they are gone you won't see them again, except perhaps on ebay at inflated prices).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th August 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panter View Post
    I was actually looking at frags for my little brothers...

So I was leaning towards Baby Blue Jeans.

Although I have never smelled either... many reviews say that it smells like baby powder, and one of the top notes I know by heart is Lime.
    If it helps, Blue Jeans was going really cheap here (A$10), so I bought each of my nephews a bottle - they're aged 10 and 16.
    They both have extensive fragrance collections (courtesy of you know who), but they were really excited by the smell of Blue Jeans.
    The elder one wears it loudly all the time. The younger one said it was his "favouritist one ever".

I don't think I'd have gotten that reaction from them from Baby Blue Jeans.

Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 6th August 2009 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I personally would not buy either of them. The only Versace Jeans fragrance I think worth owning is Black Jeans.
    I agree with you on Black Jeans, it's my favourite too - shame it's not put out by a niche house.

Have you tried wearing Green Jeans? I thought it was awful every single time I tested it, but bought a bottle really cheap anyway, and was quite surprised at how well it developed during the day.

I also have a bottle of the men's Metal Jeans which I thought was pretty average - till it became obvious that woman liked it a hell of a lot more than I did.
    Renato

First of all apologies for hijacking the post.
    I need an opinion: Is Blue Jeans similar to Body Kouros? I have BJ and like it very much. I also liked BK on a card and was thinking to add it to my small collection. Do you think they smell alike and it would be not worthwhile to add BK?

Thanks,
    Alex

i dont think BK smells similar to Blue jeans.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I need an opinion: Is Blue Jeans similar to Body Kouros? I have BJ and like it very much. I also liked BK on a card and was thinking to add it to my small collection. Do you think they smell alike and it would be not worthwhile to add BK?

Thanks,
    Alex
    Blue Jeans is an ambery fougere, while Body Kouros is a sweet, rich oriental.
    I didn't warm to Body Kouros initially (I thought it sickly sweet), but I have two bottles now - definitely worth getting.
    Renato

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Thanks,
    Alex
    Blue Jeans and Body Kouros are worlds apart. I like Blue Jeans a lot too, but did not like Body Kouros one bit...

I just bought a mini of both for a bit over $15 including shipping from one of the big online fragrence stores. Lots of sales right now and I love them both for different reasons. Definately end of summer perfection for a mid twenties man that has great appeal. BBJ for the weekday and BJ for the weeknight pub (not the club though). And the beauty of it is you really don't need a lot. SO unless you're living in the warmth of Florida enjoy both bottles and work the frag store with coupons and freeshipping.
    Last edited by mrdt; 19th August 2009 at 06:08 AM.

I'd just like to stop by and add some love for Blue Jeans. It's been one of my go-to fragrances this summer. Very apt name, in my estimation. Easy and comfortable, just like slipping into your favorite pair of jeans. Just amazing stuff, and can be found cheap... price is no indicator of quality here though. As a blind buy? Probably quite safe, I would say - hard to imagine anyone strongly disliking this stuff.

I worked for Bulgari when the Baby Jeans (Baby Blue and Baby Rose) scents were launched in Canada (sigh- always later than the US...) they were aimed at the children of the men and women that wore Blue and Red Jeans.

The Baby versions of the jeans scents were made to be soft, with citrus and vanilla although plenty of "grown ups" love them too. One of my daughters had both and she smelled delightful in them

I think either of them would be a good choice for a thoughtless, easy-to-wear fragrance; however, I would go with Black Jeans if I wanted something more interesting and inspiring. I think it's floral front keeps it suitable for office work, though its dry, leathery finish might be inappropriate for a hospital setting. In fact, come to think of it, I think Baby Blue Jeans would be the best for a hospital. Its got a nice, subtle vanilla and musk kind of dry down. Quite pleasant, but not especially masculine in the typical sense. They all have different niches.

I have Blue Jeans in my wardrobe. Very nice oriental woody scent. Sure not like A*Men, Allure ph, but in summer nights it works good.
    In winter I prefer other.
    About Baby Blue Jeans I have a very distant memory. I remember it wasn't bad, maybe clean, fresh,inoffensive, very neutral.
    I think I'll buy a BBJ bottle, maybe only to collect.

Baby blue jeans is more dry citrus, while blue jeans is way too sweet.
    Blue Jeans is more youth, IN MY OPINION.
    Smell like soft drink, maybe coke.
    I prefer Blue Jeans

I prefer blue jeans out of the two.

I just picked up Baby Blue Jeans today for $10 at Marshalls. Not bad at all. It's like a child's version of Habit Rouge-- though I wouldn't feel weird at all wearing it either. Blue Jeans is interesting, but smells very dated in a '90's kind of way-- I rarely wear it. I could wear Baby Blue Jeans casually, maybe with a light blue or white dress shirt, untucked.

The weird thing is that it used to say "Versace" on the Baby Blue Jeans bottle, but now it says "Versus Baby Jeans". Weird.

^^^ you sure it's not a clone?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

So is baby blue jeans too "young" for a mid-twenties soon-to-be-doctor?
    Depends up on the type of doctor you are but for an MD I would say yes- it is "too young" Put yourself in the place of the patient- scared, nervous, depressed, etc. If I was a patient I would want my doc to smell a bit more sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    ^^^ you sure it's not a clone?
    Yeah, I think it's a "brand tier" classification thing going on with Versace-- Kind of like Dolce & Gabbana has the "D&G" brand and if memory serves nowhere on my Le Bateleur bottle and box do the words "Dolce" or "Gabbana" appear. Versus is one of the lower tiers of the Versace brand. I'm looking at my Blue Jeans bottle and cannister-- though it says "Versace" on it and the Baby Blue Jeans says "Versus", they both say they're made by "Euroitalia" on the bottom.

Now that I've checked my Blue Jeans, I couldn't resist a spritz. WOW. Why do I never wear this? It's one of those scents that is LOUD in a good way. Even if you wore the minimum application of Blue Jeans, it would still feel loud due to its personality. I think I was scared of it because I once bought a bottle and actually returned it because I hated it so much. It turned out to be a bad bottle-- later I tried it again, and it was night and day-- much more refreshing than the stale old bottle I originally bought. I'm wearing Blue Jeans tomorrow.

On some days, I go and sniff Blue Jeans and say to myself, why do I even bother with all my other perfumes! I freakin love the stuff Extremely comforting in an obnoxious, teenage, nostalgic way!

I bought baby blue jeans. Its one of my faves now. Not so in your face as blue jeans, lemony baby powder accord which settles into something beautiful but simple........I have to use lots of sprays as it doesnt seeem to last on my skin...also it only comes in 50mls bottles which annoys me

I just bought Versace Blue Jeans and Baby Blue Jeans in the last week. Blue Jeans cost 12.99 and BBJ was around 7 quid.

Blue Jeans I would say is very good value for money. Of course, it does not come close to the big boys in my wardrobe (Fahrenheit, London, Le Male etc) but it's good for what it is. I like how clean it smells, it projects well, it lasts and I don't know anyone who wears it, so it's a very decent addition to my wardrobe.

BBJ was a blind buy, I'd never smelled it before and going by reviews on here I expected lemons and baby powder mixed together, I also read it smelled like lemonade. When I first sprayed it, I got the lemonade smell straight away. It smells exactly how people described it; like lemons and baby powder, quite synthetic as well. Not a bad thing to me but not a particularly smooth fragrance. As far as longevity goes, I don't know as I've only sprayed it once on my hand and not worn it properly yet. This is also a decent addition to my wardrobe as it's not commonly used and it is another very good value for money scent. I also don't have many aquatic/fresh scents as I don't like to blind buy these because most have little to no longevity (apart from my L'Eau D'Issey ).

I have a problem with the caps on the bottles though, if you pick the bottle up by the cap it falls of and the bottle drops. They are not very good at all.

I think both are very pleasant spelling scents, I really like them both. They are so cheap too. I would be a bit sad if Blue Jeans were to be discontinued but I don't think I'd miss BBJ too much. For that reason Blue Jeans is my favourite out of the two, plus I prefer the bigger bottle as like other people have said, BBJ only comes in 50ml bottles.

Blue Jeans was one of my favorites before I started collecting. I got it for $20 at Ross like 3 years ago (back before it fell under the Versus name) and it was my first blind buy. At first I thought it smelled too feminine but after wearing it a few times I fell in love. It smells so clean and fresh and powdery. It projects well and lasts a good while. The bottle looks neat and the metal tin is very vintage and cool. I still have half of my 2.5 oz bottle due to my large collection but when I do wear it, I think "Why don't I wear this more often???"

Baby Blue Jeans (Versus) was also a blind buy and I got it for $12 at Ross this year. It smells nothing like the original. It has a lemon and baby powder smell just like all the reviews say. It's pleasant smelling, but doesn't have the magic that Blue Jeans has.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Unfortunately didn't care much for either

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I just picked up Baby Blue Jeans today for $10 at Marshalls. Not bad at all. It's like a child's version of Habit Rouge
    Yes, I'd agreed with this. It has the same sweet lemon top, and the powdery vanilla base. But none of the musty/mothballs of HR, just way more powderyness (from a heavy dose of Iris).

Sadly, I dont like Iris so I gave my bottle to my wife who loves it.