Code of Conduct

Red face Ladies' expertise needed please...

Hello everyone!
    I have a friend who's having trouble finding what she's looking for. Here's the info on her:
    -She's just starting to experience and understand fragrances as an important part of her wardrobe. Always wore them but didn't think of them the way she does now--until I spoke to her about Basenotes and my hobby...
    -Still, doesn't want to run around town testing a lot of things. She thinks it's my duty to ask around on Basenotes for recommendations.
    -The scent is preferably designer; to be found at Nordstroms, Macy's, or Sephora.
    -She is looking for a fresh, young scent with WHITE MUSK that "doesn't smell like hairspray" and "doesn't smell cheap." She associates a lot of white musk scents with "cheap" scents (as in low quality not price).
    -She can take LIGHT fruit or florals in this scent. Doesn't want citrus, dominant green, nor heavy fruit, nor aquatics, nor powdery--but wants decent projection and longevity. All concentrations O.K.
    -Although the following aren't white musk scents necessarily, here's a snapshot of her recent experiences:
    Likes Viva La Juicy and would like something along those lines BUT less sweet for the warm season.
    Thought she liked Burberry Brit Sheer but turned to "hairspray" on her skin with no projection. Didn't satisfy.
    Thought she might like Versace Crystal and it's lighter flanker but that didn't go well either.
    Thought she might like Varvatos but it turned too powdery on her skin.
    Does what she want exist in your experience? CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    RM

Default Re: Ladies' expertise needed please...

A few come to consider:

Burberry Weekend
    Burberry The Beat
    Eclat D'Arpege by Lanvin
    Chance or Chance Eau Fraiche by Chanel
    CK Obsession or Obsession Night
    Ralph by Ralph Lauren
    Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker
    or anything by Bulgari

Most of those have some musky note, are not very powdery, and/or not heavily fruity. IMHO

By the way, I am not an expert. At all.
    Just thought I would chime in and try to help out.
    Good luck
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Thank you! I shall pass these names along.
    She is, however, interested specifically in white musk for this scent.
    Please keep them coming...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll put in a mention for Stella by Tocca. A beautiful floral musk that doesn't smell a bit skanky or cheap. It can often be found at Sephora and Anthropologie stores.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her edp is rose, peony, and light, clean musk. The edt is too heavy on the sweet musk for my taste.

If you can persuade your friend to try niche, I also think Ava Luxe Cashmere Musk is a winner.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Narciso Rodriguez. Also, Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely is very similar and could be a good comparison.

By the way, MANY fragrances contain musk in the base. Just because they are not classified as musks does not mean that she won't get a nice hit of it

Post Thanks / Like

Two white musk scents that I love lately:

Dolce & Gabbana Feminine
    Donna Karan Cashmere Mist (oops, adding: this one is a bit powdery)

Both are soft and easy to wear. But individuals vary, of course, so best to test first.

Also, Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen might be a possibility, but might be too powdery. I just bought a bottle of it and I love it - crisp, slightly fruity (meaning no gummy bears), floral, with a white (i.e., soft) musk & woody drydown.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 4th August 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Kiehl's Original Musk edt is a lovely musk- easy to find and gets lots of compliments.

For a little extra $ Montale White Musk is gorgeous, as is Il Profumo Musc Bleu- probably 2 of the most gorgeous clean musk scents.

My personal favourite musk is actually Abdul Kareem Egyptian Musk Oil (was also Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy's signature scent- random factoid) which is available online for around $15.

The new Narciso Rodriguez Essence is a squeaky clean floral musk, and I really enjoy the clean musk in Thierry Mugler Cologne.

Another pretty musk-y scent is Bill Blass Nude. I even get soft musks from Quelques Fleurs.

Is the current version of Body Shop White Musk any good? The early 1990s version was lovely, and those pure fragrance oils always had such a nice sillage and HUGE longevity. (pours out a bit of non-animal-tested body wash on the ground in honor of the late, lamented Body Shop scent bar)

It may be a little powdery, but I'd still recommend she at least sample Mitsouko. It is such a classic, and meets many of her criterea, but not all.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dolce & Gabbana Lt Blue comes first to my mind. Light white musk & green apples. I like it but it has become somewhat ubiquitous. Still a good scent though.
    Paul Smith Extreme has musk in the base; a nice light, sheer, modern fragrance.
    'O' de Lancome often under the counter at Lancome. Beautiful for summer. Subtle galbanum & light musk. A classic. Can't go wrong here. (Don't get a flanker like Oui, though, NOT as good!)

Paul Smith Extreme info :
    Introduced in 2003 as a pair to the male perfume Paul Smith Extreme Man, this fragrance brings joy of floral notes, designed by Antoine Maisondieu. A breeze of sage and freesia greets you at the top, while the heart introduces a floral bouquet of violet and heliotrope along with spicy warm notes of apricot. The base caresses with warm sandalwood, amber, cedar and sensual musk.
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th August 2009 at 05:10 PM.

I second D&G Light Blue.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I'll be the lone dissenter as I would love to rid the world of Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue forever. Migraine inducing and takes over the room with its screechy linear synthetic glare.

If she likes soft musky florals this one might kill her. At least get her a sample first.

Post Thanks / Like

Echoing misscasey, with a Bvlgari suggestion:

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc
    Top Notes: Artemisia Leaves
    Middle Notes: White Tea, Ablemosk, White Pepper
    Base Notes: Ambergris, Musk

I like the other Bvlgari tea scents, too, but White Tea seems to fit the best with your descriptions. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 on the NR for Her edp & - oddly enough - TFord White Patchouli for her to try.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Narciso Rodriguez for Her edp is rose, peony, and light, clean musk. The edt is too heavy on the sweet musk for my taste..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    + 1 on the NR for Her edp & - oddly enough - TFord White Patchouli for her to try.
    I considered recommending White Patchouli and decided to drop it as it's not particularly floral, imo. I really like it though-- peppery, spicy patchouli and creamy musk in the drydown. L'Artisan Patchouli Patch also does a nice patchouli/white musk combination, but I think it's a little milder than WP and sits close. I need to do a side-by-side of these someday.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Talking Re: Ladies' expertise needed please...

Wow! Ladies, thank you so very much!
    There's a lot of potential here among all the recommendations.
    I'll take these to her and see what we come up with.
    I'll be sure to report back--hopefully with a success story...
    RM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    'O' de Lancome often under the counter at Lancome. Beautiful for summer. Subtle galbanum & light musk. A classic. Can't go wrong here.
    I get some reasonable similarities between this and Mugler Cologne (also mentioned above), but I don't get musk in either one. It must be one that I'm anosmic to.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Cartier Declaration and Marc Jacobs Blush ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: Ladies' expertise needed please...

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I get some reasonable similarities between this and Mugler Cologne (also mentioned above), but I don't get musk in either one. It must be one that I'm anosmic to.
    Here's a blurb from Fragrantica:
    O de Lancome is appropriate for summer and summer mood during whole year. It is full of sunbeams and refreshing notes. The dynamic citrusy aromas of lemon, tangerine, bergamot and petit grain blends with fresh flowers, such as honeysuckle, lily of the valley and jasmine. The heart is bitter and aromatic, composed of rosemary and basil. The sharp base note consists of moss, vetiver, ambergris and musk. It was launched in 1969. The nose behind this fragrance is Robert Gonnon.

I thought I was getting light musk, It's the only kind I can wear. MKK type (animalic musk) doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th August 2009 at 03:11 PM.