Code of Conduct

Default Find my first ever post on Basenotes?

I want to see what I posted about when I first came here in Dec 2007 but I can't seem to find my posts before April 2008 using the advanced search by older dates.

When I use the search for "all posts by this user" I can only go back 500 posts.

Any suggestions on how to search?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Find my first ever post on Basenotes?

There is an internet archive service that has most of previous Basenotes threads available. I used it some time ago as someone posted the internet address on Basenotes but...I didn't keep it and it too doesn't seem to be available here. Someone will read this thread who has it I am sure and will post it for you.

Found it! Happy hunting SirSlarty.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/basenotes.net

for specific forums such as community use http://community.basenotes.net/

This one is for 'Community' but just copy the header for any of the Basenotes Forums and use the Wayback 'Enter Web Address" at the top of the page. I suspect specific dates could be entered there in the same manor as the header that appears on Basenotes for a particular day of, say, the Male Fragrance Forum also if you knew exactly what day you wanted.

If this appears:

Not in Archive.

No archived versions of the page you requested are available. If the page is still available on the Internet, we will begin archiving it during our next crawl.

You may want to:

Search for all pages on the site community.basenotes.net/
    Try a different page address, at top

See the FAQs for more info and help, or contact us.

click "Search for all pages"
    Last edited by kbe; 4th August 2009 at 05:08 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

The Wayback didn't help too much but I had entirely forgotten about that tool. I did find some very interesting stuff in 2006 and 2007. Baenotes was a different beast back then!

I found this: http://community.basenotes.net/archive

And while this isn't my first post, it's the oldest one I could find. From January 28, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I feel that sometimes the SA's are guard duty for hit and runners: you know those people, the ones who dose themselves and leave. I think the SA here just misinterpreted your intentions. THere's a miscommunication on both parts.

I've had the same experience as you, silverscreen. Usually I feel guilty about it.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

OK SirSlarty...you might be able to do it the hard way. I guessed what the 12/23/2007 posts would be numbered based on a current thread number and honed in in about 5 guesses. Then I searched a few late December 2007 threads/posts in the following manor but didn't see any by you:

The below link is to a thread from December 23, 2007. Note the numbers at the end. By pasting this in your http// area and clicking you will show that December 23, 2007 thread. Then, by changing the numbers right in the http//area up or down in both sets (and making them exactly the same if two sets appear) and then re-clicking Enter (posts are more or less consecutively numbered higher as time/date increases) you might be able to find your first post as different thread pages, consecutive mostly, appear each time you do so.
    You may be able to traverse thread pages listed on the page you are viewing by clicking the 1, 2, 3 etc. at the bottom of the viewed page. Sometimes it worked for me..sometimes not. And it pays to keep track of what number page you are viewing just in case you get knocked off line or the site..

Time consuming...but it seems all threads/posts at least in that date area are available and it depends just how badly you want to see your first posts(s) I guess. Good Luck!

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...18#post1120018
    Last edited by kbe; 5th August 2009 at 04:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I managed to see posts as far back as January 8th by selecting under Find Posts From: "A Year Ago" "and Older."

The results began like so:

I guess it might not be your very first post, but it's the best I could manage.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

kbe, change the "p" in ?p=###### to "t" it'll display the thread instead of the specific post.

an_oud_girl, aha I see what I did wrong, I've been selecting "Show Results as Thread" instead of as posts AND show in ascending order. (also I'm not using a magical Mac! hehe)

I believe that the Aedes sample post was my first Looks like I'm not good with words because that post is kinda confusing. Also, I remember that Bulgari pour Homme comment... I was very hesitant to post my opinion,
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 5th August 2009 at 05:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Also, I remember that Bulgari pour Homme comment... I was very hesitant to post my opinion.
    I LOL'd at "holy peppery cow." I think you got off to a great start!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I think you're out of luck SirSlarty.

I tried writing a custom search URL using the paramaters posted here, but it seems any searchdate greater than 365 is processed as 365 regardless.

Docman, using an_oud_girl's suggestion I was able to find this April 2007 post of yours so the advanced search does let you find posts from more than 365 days ago. Manually entering the codes seems to be buggered up?

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...32#post1017832

So I assume by example my post about Aedes' samples is my first post?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Docman, using an_oud_girl's suggestion I was able to find this April 2007 post of yours so the advanced search does let you find posts from more than 365 days ago. Manually entering the codes seems to be buggered up?

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...32#post1017832

So I assume by example my post about Aedes' samples is my first post?
    This search is apparently limited to the last 500 posts regardless of date. If the post you are looking for is 501 or further back you apparently cannot access it by this method.

SirSlarty: Have you tried the method I showed? This thread I found by using the method. You do not have a post on either page accessible from this link of December 22, 2007 but you can use the up/down number method to go to other posts of this date or later.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...00#post1119500

Have you found any posts in December 2007 yet? You mention the Aedes Sample post. What date was that?
    Last edited by kbe; 6th August 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Yeah, what KBE said.

You can find my first post because I have less than 500. However, for someone like yourself with thousands, it seems vBulletin can only look back a maximum of 500 posts over 365 days old. This is where I tried changing the search to 730 days but the system wouldn't go further than 365.

It looks like Grant is the only one who can help. He should be able to run a custom SQL query from with vBulletin's interface, or directly on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    This search is apparently limited to the last 500 posts regardless of date. If the post you are looking for is 501 or further back you apparently cannot access it by this method.

SirSlarty: Have you tried the method I showed? This thread I found by using the method. You do not have a post on either page accessible from this link of December 22, 2007 but you can use the up/down number method to go to other posts of this date or later.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...00#post1119500

Have you found any posts in December 2007 yet? You mention the Aedes Sample post. What date was that?
    The date was January 2008.

I don't think I posted anything in December at all.
    Last edited by SirSlarty; 7th August 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I don't think so, kbe. I just ran a search for your early posts and the first one I retrieved was from 11th November 2006, 06:00 PM, and reads in part:

OK....Newbie here...I wish I had found this site prior to eBay bidding on

"Green Irish Tweed".

The eBay seller, bisys00 with a 97.9% Positive eBay rating and 369 transactions, had the auction listing as:

"Green Irish Tweed 4oz Brand New but not sealed in box, not a tester"

It goes on, but I edited for length. The direct link is here. My point is you've got 7400 quality posts to your credit, kbe, so I'm pretty sure I found one more than 500 posts ago.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

vBulletin is hard coded to limit search results to a maximum of 500.

If you're finding posts more than 500 ago, then you must be changing the custom date search ("Find Posts From") to look for posts older than a certain date.

Given enough posts (500+ over 365 days old), you will hit a wall where you can't search further back in time.

My first post (back when BN was on Yahoo):

Thu Oct 4, 2001 8:50 am

"I bought Iceberg Fluid and never wear it because it smells too
    similar to Comme des Garcons 2, except not as nice. I bought it in a
    rush at the Duty Free store before I was catching a plane and didn't
    notice the similarities between the two after the top notes wore off
    a bit. Even the bottles are similar with mirror finishes.

So if you like Fluid, I would take a whiff of 2 and see what you
    think before you purchase."

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...s/message/9351

ps - I don't even remember owning anything by Iceberg...shame.

edit - oops, that was my 2nd post.
    Last edited by Dane; 7th August 2009 at 07:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Given enough posts (500+ over 365 days old), you will hit a wall where you can't search further back in time.
    You can go back to the "beginning of time" (your first post), but there will be gaps in the history if one is a proliferative poster.

I just practiced with SirSlarty. I retrieved his first post from Jan 8th thru his 500th on May 30th. Then from "a year ago and newer," I retrieved 500 posts from Aug 7th thru Oct 20th. "Six months ago and newer" yielded 500 posts from Feb 9th thru June 11th. And of course his most recent 500 would be easy to pull up. But there's probably no way to retrieve those posts from May 30-Aug 7, and from Oct 20-Feb 9, that fall between the cracks (so to speak).

edit: I bet I could close the gaps further by restricting the forums searched-- from MFD only, from JSO only, etc. Most of SS's posting is probably in the MFD so there'd likely still be some gaps there, but one could retrieve almost all if not all of them, I think.

edit again: Actually, I closed the gap by switching from ascending to descending order. However, I did limit the search to MFD as well. In any case, I retrieved all MFD posts from Oct 21-Feb 3. Yeah, I'm like a dog with a bone sometimes!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 7th August 2009 at 08:00 PM.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post

ps - I don't even remember owning anything by Iceberg...shame.

edit - oops, that was my 2nd post.
    Looks like your 1st post was Oct 3rd 2001. I've changed your join date to be more accurate

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I don't think so, kbe. I just ran a search for your early posts and the first one I retrieved was from 11th November 2006, 06:00 PM, and reads in part:

OK....Newbie here...I wish I had found this site prior to eBay bidding on

"Green Irish Tweed".

The eBay seller, bisys00 with a 97.9% Positive eBay rating and 369 transactions, had the auction listing as:

"Green Irish Tweed 4oz Brand New but not sealed in box, not a tester"

It goes on, but I edited for length. The direct link is here. My point is you've got 7400 quality posts to your credit, kbe, so I'm pretty sure I found one more than 500 posts ago.

This is most excellent an_oud_girl!! I am impressed and in awe of your skill.

Thank you for proving me incorrect and explaining why. I love surfing in old posts, mine and other's so this is a wonderful gift. Spaseba!.

his seems to be the oldest posting date I can access: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...980#post687980

Anyone able to retrieve an older post?
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd August 2009 at 08:09 PM.