Code of Conduct

Thread: Borneo 1834

Default Borneo 1834

A new thread to ask for opinions.
    I've become interested in SL's Borneo and was wondering if anyone had already made
    comparisons with other similar fragrances from different houses.

All info is welcome.

Default Re: Borneo 1834

SoGent, there were recent threads, in fact. Try searching for threads with Patchouli and/or Borneo in the title.

I recall at least one thread a few months ago that compared Coromandel and Borneo 1834. Having sampled them both together, I would say that Borneo is the more masculine and up-front of the two, but I'd put my money on the counter for Coromandel. It's an elegant, rich fragrance in the classic Chanel style. Also, I don't care for chocolate notes, and that killed Borneo for me.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Too much chocolate in Borneo 1834. For a better rendition of a chocolate that does not say "chocolate absolut", try Tom Ford Black Orchid.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I found it compared with A*Men from Thierry Mugler. But, as Asha said, the search function will help.

Yep .... tried that but looks like another shot is in order

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    SoGent, there were recent threads, in fact. Try searching for threads with Patchouli and/or Borneo in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    A new thread to ask for opinions.
    I've become interested in SL's Borneo and was wondering if anyone had already made
    comparisons with other similar fragrances from different houses.

All info is welcome.
    Yes, SoGent a small book could be filled with all the discussion of patchouli fragrances and even more specifically gourmand/patchouli fragrances like Borneo 1834. It is a great fragrance and there are many other fragrances that have been created with a similar theme: patchouli + sweet gourmand scent.

I am not really sure that Borneo 1834 has been improved upon yet but these are a few others to try.

Straight to Heaven, Killian - sweet rum and patchouli
    Coromandel, Chanel - chocolate, leather, musk and patchouli
    Pure Coffee, Thierry Mugler - a mocha machiatto latte with patchouli
    1740 Marquis de Sade, Historie de Parfums - a fruit floral then chocolate + apricot with a leather and patchouli drydown.

I would agree with the comparisons of Coromandel, A*Men, and Straight to Heaven, but would disagree with the sentiment that it has too much chocolate. I've tested all three, and would love to own StH and Coromandel, but out of all of them I choose Borneo. I love patchouli, but at times it can get tiring and very strong, the chocolate in Borneo really does work wonderfully with it to keep it grounded. There's also a lovely camphorous background that is utterly unique and captivating. I agree with Snafoo as well, I said it before in other threads, Coromandel IS unisex, but it is incredibly lush and I can totally see how it leans to the feminine side whereas Borneo is definitely masculine.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Borneo 1834 is nonpareil. However, I have heard that Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon serves as a nice afforable alternative.

I thiught that Patchouli Antique by Les Néréides was sort of like Borneo without the chocolate or menthol.

I absolutely agree that its a less naughty A*Men , a little more refined and well behaved

I've done a side by side comparison of Borneo with Patchouli Leaves (Montale). The two are very similar. They could be fraternal twins. Take the chocolate from Borneo and replace it with suffocatingly heavy amber and you have Patchouli Leaves. I think they are both good compositions, but could never wear either. Borneo is too much of a gourmand, while Patchouli Leaves is oppressively ambery.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    I found it compared with A*Men from Thierry Mugler.
    I've not tried A*Men, but I got Angel (Thierry Mugler) vibe from Borneo.

I'd take Coromondel over Borneo, as others said.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I have heard that Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon serves as a nice afforable alternative.
    Wow, no way! Cocoon is straight up vanilla, no similarity to Borneo (at least to my nose).
    Last edited by kess; 5th August 2009 at 06:52 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    Wow, no way! Cocoon is straight up vanilla, no similarity to Borneo (at least to my nose).
    Funny how that works... Cocoon is all cocoa & patchouli to me, with the vanilla a distant third. Coromandel & Cocoon definitely share a kinship, in my opinion. (I own both.)

I think I have a sample of Borneo lying around... must track it down.
    Last edited by tang; 5th August 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I've not tried A*Men, but I got Angel (Thierry Mugler) vibe from Borneo.
    (Reviews suggest Angel and A*Men are similar. Time to try Angel!)

For me, Borneo is unique, not like A*Men at all, except of course that both have chocolate. Just get a sample and decide for yourself. If you know what patchouli smells like, however, just think of some dark chocolate powder mixed with it; not much more to it. It's a bit "perfumey," but other than that it's rather simple, though nice once in a while (unless you hate patch or choc in a frag, obviously).

I like Borneo for its unabashed presentation of patchouli and dark chocolate but I have to admit that A*Men has a more complex composition and Coromandel works better in heat.
    -

Thank you fresh .... I spent all the time I could afford in front of the computer this morning but had to actually go work for a living. I appreciate the time it took for you to do that.

I'm not a HUGE fan of patchouli but Borneo is very well done I think.
    Gonna throw Coro-whatever into the mix just to bounce it off of even if some do consider it more feminine.

Hmmmm .... well we are in the mid / high 90's all week so may be a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I like Borneo for its unabashed presentation of patchouli and dark chocolate but I have to admit that A*Men has a more complex composition and Coromandel works better in heat.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Agree on B & C - haven't tried A*Men - will make an effort!

SoGent: It's probably mentioned somewhere in the threads you'll be exploring that Borneo and Coromandel are both composed by C. Sheldrake. Borneo, working with S. Lutens and then later Coromandel with Mr. Polge at Chanel (correct me if I'm wrong). As mentioned Coromandel is a more luxe take on Patchouli and for me it works day and very much evening - I wear it a lot.

I have samples of Borneo but haven't bought it (yet anyway) because I ODed a bit on Patchouli in the 70s. Having said that I would like to check out Mazzolari Lui - if I'm not mistaken that's involves Patch in an interesting way . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

SoGent: It's probably mentioned somewhere in the threads you'll be exploring that Borneo and Coromandel are both composed by C. Sheldrake. Borneo, working with S. Lutens and then later Coromandel with Mr. Polge at Chanel (correct me if I'm wrong). As mentioned Coromandel is a more luxe take on Patchouli and for me it works day and very much evening - I wear it a lot.

I have samples of Borneo but haven't bought it (yet anyway) because I ODed a bit on Patchouli in the 70s. Having said that I would like to check out Mazzolari Lui - if I'm not mistaken that's involves Patch in an interesting way . . .
    Yep . . . . noticed the Sheldrake connection. Those are interesting to see the same persons 'opinion' when they're working with different houses.

I have the Mazzolari and love it. Borneo just came outta the blue & hooked me.