Code of Conduct

Default Prada Infusion D'Homme... some praise

These days my tastes haven't changed so much, but my habits have. Up until last year, I would never wear the same fragrance two days in a row-- and rarely even twice in one week or one month. This began to change last year-- I developed an unexpected affinity for John Varvatos Vintage and I would go sometimes for three weeks wearing nothing else. Ever since then, I would go back through my drobe, find something that grabbed me and wear it until I got captivated by something else.

In the last two months, I've gone completely mad for Prada Infusion D'Homme. The stuff is like catnip to my nose and it's become my everyday fragrance. There's something common to both Prada Amber Homme and this Infusion D'Homme-- same perfumer, and I was wondering if perhaps Daniela Andrier developed both concurrently while working toward the original brief. I read in Dimitri's review of Prada Amber Homme what he describes as a "white-hot coolness" and I think that sums up the novel sensation of the Prada aesthetic. I've always thought that these two Prada scents make me think of candy cigarettes I had when I was a kid-- Amber Homme is like bubblegum cigarettes, where Infusion D'Homme is like the chalky thin little white cigarette candies that you eat.

I didn't immediately discern all the notes in Infusion D'Homme, but after wearing it every day for weeks, I can see every stitch on the fastball and what I smell is a well built, uncluttered construction of materials that works from top to bottom. The iris notes are obvious, but its the benzoin and frankincense that give Infusion D'Homme that warm masculine twist. They are such a contrast to the floral bright soapy topnotes that they never quite meld together, but remain contrasting textures with each sniff. I was burning some frankincense resin last week, and after that, I could really pick up on the frankincense in Infusion D'Homme. I love Incense scents of course, and I see Infusion D'Homme almost as a new category of incense fragrances--soapy clean incense. The benzoin is what gives it that "Dr. Pepper" smell.

The vetiver in this is well-played also-- it reminds me of the way vetiver is used in YSL L' Homme-- it's so subtle, yet its presence is vital. A slight saltiness that reminds me of Masaki Matsushima's M;Men. I'm not big on galbanum--it's a tricky note to execute well, and it especially seems strange to see it in a scent like this, but it is extremely well executed here.

I bought this one thinking it was a pale shadow of Amber Homme, but strangely I like this one better. It's kind of minimalist, but it satisfies me to the point that I can wear it for weeks on end. Sometimes, I guess I'm surprised when I wake up in a steady relationship with a fragrance I thought was so mild-mannered!

Default Re: Prada Infusion D'Homme... some praise

Fantastic post/review, Indie! This is the kind of post other MFD posts should aspire to.

I rmust respectfully decline in joining you in celebration of IdH, despite the fact that I also own it. I'm trying to appreciate it as you have done, but I still prefer its sibling Infusion d'Iris. I'll try it again tomorrow as my SOTD,using your post as a roadmap to appreciation.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th August 2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Indie, nice to read such an enthusiastic review - one more happy human on earth.
    Alas, I found it boring, almost unpleasant - but it's just me

Excellent review.
    I''m a fan of this one too.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Also i found it very formal and worn it recently but its longevity is the worst ever seen,no thanks.

It still reminds me of my High School locker room from the '70s and sometimes Vitalis hair tonic. Not entirely a bad thing. It is warm and soapy with a vinatge feel. I find it very potent and long lasting. It gets a thumbs up from me.

Basenotes Institution

I've been showering with the Infusion D'Homme shower gel for the last couple weeks, that I picked up here on the sale boards. I liked this fragrance okay, when I first wore it, but I thought it was too light on the iris after getting Iris Silver Mist in my wardrobe. Now, wearing it on my skin fresh from a shower, the iris note is very persistent (maybe it's because I'm showering with it, so the scent is all over my body, not just on my chest, arms, etc). I smell it for a couple hours, mixing with my SOTD many times.

And now I totally want to find some candy cigarettes to eat - I forgot what those tasted like.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th August 2009 at 08:30 PM.

I tried it once and was surprised that I liked it, after reading reviews. I haven't tried the "regular" version, but I don't think I should, because I might prefer it. When you have a bottle of something you like, you may not want to get a sample of something similar but a bit better, because then you'll be tempted ! LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th August 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Post Re: Prada Infusion D'Homme... some praise

Your dead on with this one. It's a fragrance that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's light, easy to wear, and you don't have to search for the Iris.It is blended with a supporting cast that compliments the Iris, and works with it in such a way, that it doesn't detract from the theme of the fragrance. Prada, did a good job with this one! Can it run with some of the heavy weight's in the Iris world? Who knows, and who cares. It can stand on It's own.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I still prefer the amber version, but this one has grown on me with a couple of wearings.

This is my daily. And that's saying a lot for me.

Thanks for sharing your appreciation of Infusion d'Homme. Great review!

IdH is OK, but I feel it's only a paler derivative of the Prada IdI (which I have 3 bottles of and much prefer)

Still, if they ever discontinue the IdI, I will switch to the IdH just for nostalgia.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I just got hold of some IdH and can only offer my own noobish take of the scent after wearing it for a day.

First impression: CHEAP SOAP. But if you can somehow get past the soapy accords, you may well notice something quite refined and understated about IdH. This is a scent that will no doubt polarize reviewers and for that I applaud Prada for the risky yet bold move. I can't quite find the association with cigarette candies (I miss them too btw). For me, the scent evokes memories of my childhood. I was 5 or 6 then and my mom was doing the laundry, scrubbing away at a washboard with a bar of *heh* "Infusion d'Homme".

Nostalgia is a good thing in my books; for a scent to evoke them, I must say 'well done'.

Cheap soap? I think IdH smells like expensive, classy soap. One of my favourites for sure.

Praise is seconded! Thanks for the great review; I'm a fan too.

Sharp and green with a sheer, chalky, incensey sweetness in the background. It's like they made it for me.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Cheap soap? I think IdH smells like expensive, classy soap. One of my favourites for sure.
    They do offer an Infusion d'Homme soap, after all...

Anyway, this was my SotD yesterday. I'm feeling a newfound appreciation for Infusion d'Homme... this might be my fall scent of choice, much like Mugler Cologne was my summer scent of choice.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

My second wearing today. I must say this one grows on you! Now it reminds of that Imperial Leather, still a soap but a more expensive one... Smelling it on me just makes me feel fresh!

Infusion D'Homme, where have you been all my life? The king of clean and soapiness...the ultimate office/work scent period.