Code of Conduct

Default Juliette Has A Gun-Midnight Oud, has anyone tried this one?

Hi having tired Lady Vengeance and really liked it as well as the other scents from the line I saw this one posted in the directory but without a single review. Having looked around I found a list of the notes that its composed from... they seem right down Montale alley.

has anyone tried this one? If so what are first impressions of this oud concoction? Is it similar to any other scent and is it appropriate for a man to try bearing in mind that I didn't mind the slightest using LV.

Perfumer: Romano Ricci
    Perfume notes: saffron, Bulgarian rose, patchouli, musk, amber, sandalwood, oud
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Default Re: Juliette Has A Gun-Midnight Oud, has anyone tried this one?

no one?
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Lightbulb Re: Juliette Has A Gun-Midnight Oud, has anyone tried this one?

Bump.

Smelled it today.

Juliette Has A Gun are female fragrances (hence the lack of replies) all with strong rose heart notes. There are four scents released so far with a planned total of five. Midnight Oud is the most recent.

Midnight Oud smells mostly of rose with a soft aloeswood (agarwood or oud) backdrop. I am left with the impression that Givuadan's Black Agar is the synthetic aloeswood used, rather than Firmenich's superior Oud Blend.

All in all I feel it is a fine feminine fragrance, but nothing spectacular.

My reaction is very different -

First of all, Midnight Oud is totally unisex and hardly feminine (and much, much less feminine then Lady Vengence!). I find it analogous to Black Aoud with respect to the oud/rose balance but without the level of punch of oud and a sweeter rose drydown. There's so many ouds coming out these days it's hard to say this is particularly distinctive, but it's an excellent, well done fragrance with great sillage and longevity. It's more wearable and versatile then Black Aoud. It's a limited edition - I think it's just a few hundred bottles per retailer that carries the line. Although I have Micallef Rose Aoud I'm still thinking about picking up a bottle or large decant.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    Bump.

Smelled it today.

Juliette Has A Gun are female fragrances (hence the lack of replies) all with strong rose heart notes.
    For some reason I thought they gave up on that (using rose in all their fragrances).. I had assumed this new one lacked rose, at least that was what I had been told. Who knows. :P

I'm anxiously hoping Luckyscent or TPC list some samples of this stuff soon - it's the first JHAG that's looked seriously tempting to me!

I posted a thread a short while back about it ! ... You might like to have a look at it ?!

(It's pretty much the exact question ! )

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=235111

I was under the impression that all the Juliette scents were interpretations of rose notes. I naturally thought..oud AND rose.

I have Citizen Queen (in the bullet roll-on, which looks like a 50 cal. round...LOL!) and I adore it. I might spring for the EDT some day as I like this.

I understand Ricci has hired Francis Kurkdjian to do these scents!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I was under the impression that all the Juliette scents were interpretations of rose notes. I naturally thought..oud AND rose.

I have Citizen Queen (in the bullet roll-on, which looks like a 50 cal. round...LOL!) and I adore it. I might spring for the EDT some day as I like this.

I understand Ricci has hired Francis Kurkdjian to do these scents!

Well yes, they are all rose scents, and yes obviously it was expected to be a rose and oud combo . ... But I was hoping for perhaps a little more, something perhaps a little different, so as to differentiate a little from all the countless others. Perhaps use a different type of rose note (like a yellow one, or (?) !), or a slightly different type of oud (there are many to choose from!), or add some more other interesting notes not found in the other rose/oud compositions so far, so as to give the composition something different. ... But no such luck ! It really does just smell pretty much like all the other rose/oud combos I've tried lately. If I were blindfolded, I would not have been able to tell them apart ... I mean that similar !
    ("Heynow" is spot on with his description, it is pretty much like a softer, less intense Black Aoud. With half the "punch" and half the longevity. And yes, I suppose it is therefore a little more "wearable", and not so "in your face". Which would be a welcome feature for some. ... But I would definitely say. if you already have Black Aoud (or similar), you would not need this one too !)

Basically what I'm saying is, if you already have one of the better fave rose/oud combo's in your 'drobe. This one will not be needed as a second one. There is nothing setting it apart to warrant having this one as well ! ....
    If it's your first though, then it's nice enough as an example of the "genre". Though I still think there are better ones already.

It actually does not seem or feel like a Kurkdjian scent either actually. ... I certainly wouldn't have guessed this was one of his compositions, had you not mentioned it ! ... (I had actually been wondering who composed it ! )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 10th October 2009 at 01:08 AM.

I'm really liking this one but I don't want someone to come up to me and tell me i'm wearing woman's perfume!
    Anyone here thinks this is a female perfume???

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I'm really liking this one but I don't want someone to come up to me and tell me i'm wearing woman's perfume!
    a. I do not think this is a women's perfume - not even a little bit.
    b. No one is going to come up to you and tell you that you're wearing women's perfume if you're wearing Midnight Oud (and probably not if you're wearing any women's fragrance, for that matter).
    c. Even if (b) were not true (which it is), who cares?

The lady friend who turned me on to fragrance always said that gender is not relevant if you like the fragrance, and while it takes a little while to get your head around this concept, once you do it almost seems silly to think otherwise. I get far more compliments from women when I wear feminines then I ever do wearing masculines. Don't let artificially-imposed labels keep you from enjoying any fragrance you enjoy - if you dig Midnight Oud then go for it. Seems that the overwhelming majority of guys on this site are of the same mindset about wearing feminines, which is good to see... it's part of what helps me trust that the advice and opinions I receive on this board are from well-versed, knowledgeable fragrance enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Is the oud scent marketed to women? The other three scents are marketed to women, complete with the option of frragrant roll ons in 50 cal. bullet-shaped flacons. I think Citizen Queen is a very unisex scent...

Again, wear what YOU like and the heck with labels. If someone has the nerve (esp. a stranger) to tell you that you are wearing a women's scent, ask them to tell you why...and then, again, the heck with them, regardless of what they tell you...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

thanks guys... good points... me likes it me is wearing it

Kurkjian label in Midnight Oud is MUSK - the big musk in sillage of MO is the difference with Black Oud by Montale.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I have to agree with moon_fish the musk in Midnight Oud is what separates it from Black Aoud. I will definitely get a bottle of this because I think it is a well-done oud that does offer me more than the rose/oud combo.
    Nobody else has mentioned it but I also got a healthy dose of saffron in this which also made this feel different than black Aoud, too.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I get more oud from this than from black oud that's for sure!

Totally agree with what the others say...I'd even say it's more a manly frag than a womans...it has this incredibly sexy-woodsy-oudish-smokey vibe...I actually think oud is thought to be unisex, so, hey, no problem! It's not sweet, it's not flowery..would work great on men!
    It's a pitty they didn't make bullets with this one too..because as an oil I think it could work even better. Definitely the best thing Romano Ricci brought out (and,btw, the nose behind this one and Citizen Queen is Romano himself! Francis only did the first two. At least, that's what JHAG says..)

Ooohhhh!!! You're creating necessities here!!!! I'm an oud-virgin and I don't know whether I can get my hands on a sample here in Belgium... But anycase, from your description it sounds right down my alley...

Me and my wallet "thank" you... lol

Just posted my review of Midnight Oud at the link below:

http://bit.ly/1ewA7t

I think this might be as good an oud starter scent as M7. If you like this one, a sample of Black Aoud should be next on your list.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I have tried it today.

extreemley simmilar to montale's GOLDEN OUD.
    golden oud is dustier and dryer in the base while midnight is fruitier at the base.
    Montale's is far more concentrated then midnight oud.

Thanks SMM... Gonna read it right now, although I have already ordered a sample...

thought I would get more views on this one as it seems to have gone under radar on BN's

AromiErotici

I have been test wearing this fragrance. I find it ( so far ) an excellent saffron-oud-musk with some likeness to C&S Dark Rose. I'm not done sample wearing it, but I like it quite a bit and it smells legit to me.

It also comes off as a shared fragrance.

According to Mr. Ricci, he only does scents for women. However, some of them can be used by men. I sampled Midnight Oud and got Calamity J. as gift, both are masculine fragrances of contemporary styles.

As per Midnight Oud, I have to make a statement of the obvious: IMHO, it is a prominent-oud scent (yes, I know, "dahh"). For many, it has remarkable rose notes, one BN who became a friend of mine mentioned its similarity to C&S famous rose scent I cannot recall its name. She loves it.

Might be your cup of tea if you like scents on the vein of YSL's M7 and the rest.

The SA at Henri Bendel coaxed me into to trying it today. It was a very pleasant smell.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The SA at Henri Bendel coaxed me into to trying it today.
    Like with a biscuit or piece of candy?

I really liked this one.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted