Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How much before olfactory fatigue??

How much can a nose take before it gets olfactory fatigue?

Default Re: How much before olfactory fatigue??

Depends on the nose, really. If you're thinking something along the lines of "x amount of decibels will make your ears ring" I am not aware of a similar standard for the nose.

I blow away the top notes as much as possible and have found that this technique really helps. Also, I became chemically sensitized and my sense of smell became much greater for a couple of months, which was terrible, because many notes made me nauseous, especially lavender and anise/licorice.

I get olfactory fatigue pretty much at the same time as I ran out of skin to spray -- so I guess around 6-8 scents.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Quote Originally Posted by kess View Post
    I get olfactory fatigue pretty much at the same time as I ran out of skin to spray -- so I guess around 6-8 scents.
    6-8 scents.... hmmm.

Thanks!

I knwo it depends on the nose -_- but I'm just curious what the average is.

Talking Re: How much before olfactory fatigue??

In addition to olfactory fatigue, you could also make yourself ill.
    I recently went "sniffing" for the first time, after months of basenoting and blind buying. I overdid it. My nose started to burn and I got a headache. I may or may not have become nauseous- I can't remember. LOL. The sales agent can let you sniff coffee beans in between frags. (I smelled 20some which was too many!)

Usually 2 sprays and up will make me almost completely anosmic (from olfactory fatigue) to a fragrance. One spray spread out on wrists and neck will make me get occasional whiffs throughout the day, and if I only dab a fragrance on my wrists, I can smell it constantly all day (thus it's the best way to sample stuff).

It's ironic how the people who say they spray like 10 times a day are the ones who say fragrances don't last on them... not to say that some people's skin doesn't actually suck up everything within an hour...
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 21st June 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Dependent

I personally feel that increased app. leads more to better sillage than longevity

back on olfactory

for me it depends on the type of the scent and the environment I'm in, which again is highly subjective and giving any type of tangible average would be inaccurate anyways...

It depends on so many factors. For one, the chemicals involved. Too much iris - especially the real high quality orris butter - quickly leads to anosmia for me, although I've not had that problem so much with iris based scents.

Also, your nose will get "stronger" the more you use it, if you are sniffing and thinking and critically analyzing what you are smelling. That's like the equivalent of weightlifting for your nose, and its "muscles" will grow. After spending a lot of time critically analyzing natural essential oils and absolutes, I find that I can evaluate many more scents in a row at a store or when testing at home than I used to be able to. It's kind of like learning a language, in some sense.. when you barely know a language it is overwhelming to sit and try and decipher a news cast in the language or whatever - but once you know the language well you could read Shakespeare translated into it without being phased.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Even 20, but only if I'm in my favorite perfumery in the whole wide world, a firm which carries mainly niche, because, without wanting to sound snobbish, I seem to never get tired of niche.

Some people think fatigue is becoming nauseous. It's not.
    Fatigue is when you can't differenciate the different smells or are even aware of them, like your own body odour - are you aware of that now?

I have Ferrari red and it irritates my nose but in a good way. I could smell it for quite a long time. Polo black because to me it smells like talcy vomit makes me want to do just that, that's not fatigue but nausia.

Avon have some real fatigue inducers, they seem to firework out all kinds of strange notes, they are difficult to pin down. I think soft and round perfumes are the least likely to induce fatigue. Acqua di parma Colonia! I want to eat it! I want to bathe in a bathfull of it. Ice cream soda anyone?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by joekingbn View Post
    Some people think fatigue is becoming nauseous. It's not.
    Fatigue is when you can't differenciate the different smells or are even aware of them, like your own body odour - are you aware of that now?
    I think most know that its desensitizing or numbness. Nauseating situations are usually quite immediate whiffs i reckon and usually happen when someone is just unable to take in a scent without feeling a tad sick. I agree somehow about the natural body scent being only obvious to an intimate partner and vice versa, and we just dont notice it on ourselves.
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th July 2009 at 08:57 AM.

Default Olfactory Fatigue

I've noticed for a while that, with only a few exceptions (Kouros, Polo and Arpege PH), if I wear a fragrance for more than two days consecutively, I cannot smell it on myself for more than an hour after application. It's frustrating. Do any of you out there experience this too? My wife can go on and wear a perfume for like 30 or 40 days in a row and still be able to smell it on herself all day (or so she tells me!).

Right now, one way I've been dealing with this problem is by wearing a fragrance every other day, so that I'm not smelling it for days and days consecutively. It works pretty good, but not great. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Olfactory Fatigue

Well, I can't remember the last time I wore the same frag two days in a row, so that should speak volumes. When I first tried Michael for Men, I remember liking it for half an hour or so, but then not being able to smell it. Now I can smell it for more than 8 hours, and that's just with one spray. Perhaps this is a "stage" you have to go through. What I did figure out is that I need to blow on the area sprayed and try not to breathe in the top notes, or at least that's how I broke out of this problem. I don't know if that's still the case now, but I fear that if I try to breathe in the top notes that I may not be able to appreciate the subtleties of the frag, so I won't deviate from my technique. If you find you can't smell it, after spraying it on your chest, try waving your hand to waft the frag up to your nose every once in a while. That seems to help with the weaker frags.

It happens. I only wore AdG daily for almost a year and a half before BN. I always assumed that even though i couldn't really smell it other people can.

Nowadays i try not to wear the same fragrance more than once a week. So far it works for me.

Some BNers were suggesting to spray further from the neck to prevent olfactory fatigue. I spray chest and neck but i never experienced OF so far.

Dependent

Based on other threads, I recall a handful who've had the same experience as you do... Personally I've worn a certain fragrance for a week straight and did not experience anything different in the way I picked up the scent.

I only spray fragrances on the chest, because my nose is very prone to fatigue. If I spray anywhere nearer to the nose, I can't smell the perfume anymore.

Maybe if you sprayed only on the chest you would still smell the perfume after repeated wearings.....

If your nose is being bombarded by the same chemicals constantly, its logical that the receptors for those chemicals would be down regulated since the chemicals are in abundance. This is the fatigue one experiences. Take those chemicals away, the receptors will up regulate thus becoming sensitive once again.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    If your nose is being bombarded by the same chemicals constantly, its logical that the receptors for those chemicals would be down regulated since the chemicals are in abundance. This is the fatigue one experiences. Take those chemicals away, the receptors will up regulate thus becoming sensitive once again.
    Makes perfect sense

I don't have this problem. But I guess I don't wear the same fragrance every day either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    So do u mean not wearing the same frag daily or wearing the frag further away from the nose?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    I don't have this problem. But I guess I don't wear the same fragrance every day either.
    Likewise

Default Olfactory Fatigue - At First I Was Somewhat Skeptical

...until I went on a 3 week hiatus from my beloved Rose 31. Today I gave it my standard 4 sprays and went out for a bit. I was overwhelmed by the strength and sillage. I rapidly pulled at my shirt to try and get it to dry out a bit. I've put on as many as 8 spritzes in the past, completely unaware that I was probably sickening anyone in a 15 foot radius. I was oblivious!
    Last edited by adonis; 11th May 2010 at 08:51 AM.

Default Re: Olfactory Fatigue - At First I Was Somewhat Skeptical

Olfactory fatigue is very real. I was using Vol de Nuit parfum for several days in a row, and on the third or fourth day I simply tuned it out.

Hmm.. Intresting. Some days ago, I sprayed on some Acier Aluminium. I wonder if I had sprayed on enough, because I couldn`t hardly smell it myselves. When I had been on my work-place couple of hours, a women came in the door and immediately said: "Mmmmm.. What IS that lovely smell" The shop is about 30 square metre big... I guess I had olfactory fatigue!

Happened to me with ... Kouros. Five sprays.

Someone commented from 8 foot away from me when I went past them in the gym. The sweat could have intensified the smell, but 8 foot away, and all they could have got was a whiff of the scent for a second...

Olfactory fatigue is so real. I make sure that I properly learn how to calibrate each scent as I purchase, and apply only those number of sprays.

Dependent

Count me in as one of those who learnt about how real and extensive Olfactory Fatigue is, a little late.

Nothing fatigues like Black Aoud
    a good friend of mine couldn't smell it anymore, so he used more sprays
    you know the rest
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Bottom line: in terms of polite, civilized behavior, I find overspraying A MUCH bigger problem than being too discreet.

I speak as someone who loves fragrances, but also respects people.

One thing you can do is to walk in a big circle (assuming there is no wind), so that when you come around again you can tell if the sillage is strong. I discovered this at a supermarket, when I had to go back and get something I forgot.

Basenotes Institution

I smelled Rose 31 on my husband a week ago, when he wore it. You are right...that stuff has such potent sillage and he only applied 2-3 sprays from one of those thin, glass atomizers that Le Labo sells. Lovers of this fragrance should apply this one carefully.

Similar thing happened at my doctors appointment a few weeks ago. I apply Gendarme heavily because of the subtle nature of the fragrance. The second the doctor walked in he commented on the smell. Good thing that scent is relatively polite - yet again I didn't realize others could smell it and I couldn't.
    Last edited by adonis; 11th May 2010 at 09:37 PM.

I have thought about this too. I think a few times here and there I do overapply. I guess I better make sure what I wear smells good I was wearing Arpege pour Homme the other day and was thinking the scent had lackluster projection. However, someone told me a created a "wave" of fragrance as I moved around them

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    One thing you can do is to walk in a big circle (assuming there is no wind), so that when you come around again you can tell if the sillage is strong. I discovered this at a supermarket, when I had to go back and get something I forgot.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

i thought olfactory fatigue was common knowledge? the more you smell stuff, the less you notice it

Nice to see someone has some sense around here! I feel like many BNers brush off olfactory fatigue as though it was an old wives' tale.

The cologne guy exists, and you could be him!!

I'll even admit it, the summer of 2007 I was the cologne guy - I used to wear 2 huge sprays of Black XS to each side of my neck and sadly no one ever had the guts to tell me I put too much on. I started getting hints though, when people would sit next to me on the bus, then get up and change seats cause I had too much on. Later when I asked people "do I wear too much cologne" they reluctantly said "yes."
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 12th May 2010 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Nothing fatigues like Black Aoud
    a good friend of mine couldn't smell it anymore, so he used more sprays
    you know the rest
    SO TRUE. Its scary, really, I cannot tell if I'm suffocating people or if they just have a cold because I can't smell it-- but we know now...
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    The cologne guy exists, and you could be him!!
    Nope, not a chance.

Except for when I went on a Bois du Portugal binge one time -- really, nothing too heavy, just maybe two or three sprays -- and one of my co-workers said, "So I asked the receptionist, did he just walk through here? Because I could smell your cologne."

Ok, nuff said. I toned that one down a little.

Now it's rarely more than two or three sprays. Two if it's something atomic, like Acier Aluminum.

Still, regarding calibration, it's hard to get it right. I applied one spray - ONE - of Roger Gallet Open, and when I went to visit a buddy he said, "Yeah, I could smell it when you walked in the door." Yikes. That strong, really? Is there some amount between zero and one spray that I'm missing?

I think atmospheric conditions, and individual sensitivities, play into this heavily. There are times when even I have regretted that third spray of Acier Aluminum, and when I ask my friends if they can smell it on me, they say "What? No, not really. Lemme smell." I offer my wrist. "Oh yeah, nice, I like it."

Other times I've shown up with just one spray of Rive Gauche, and the girls in my office all went nuts. "WHAT is THAT?!? WOW!"

Fans behind the velvet rope, please.

Are there really ANY easy answers to the sillage question? I think not. Just spray lightly, and sin no more. And really dive into it now and then when you must. The Golden Rule - Everything In Moderation - including the Golden Rule itself. Now and then you have to binge. Damn the torpedoes.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 12th May 2010 at 12:41 AM.

I almost never wear a fragrance 2 days in a row 'cause I noticed that when I did, I really didn't have the same experience the 2nd day. In my opinion, olfactory sense is maybe the most tricky of the five ones we have. When I like a fragrance and try it the first times, I'm always disappointed by the strength, it seems sooooo weak, like if the olfactory fatigue went after 20-30min. Then, when I wear it more often, it seems to last longer each time, until I'm able to see what's the "real" longevity on me (and generally a lot of hours).
    When I bought Bulgari pour Homme, first time I sprayed like 5-6 times as I heard it was very subtle and kinda weak. 30min later I almost didn't smell it on me at all. 3-4h later I went at a friend and when I walked in the room he said "wow, you guy smell too much cologne". Since he doesn't like fragrances at all, I don't know if he was just referring to the fact he could smell it or if it was overpowering, but it really surprised me 'cause I was sure it completely faded away of my skin. I guess it was the day I truly understood the "power" of olfactory fatigue, even if I was aware of that before.
    Now when I wear BPH, 2-3 sprays are enough for all day long, and I rarely spray more with any fragrance, anyway.

Bottom line: in terms of polite, civilized behavior, I find overspraying A MUCH bigger problem than being too discreet.
    Totally. I almost prefer people can't smell my fragrance at all instead of choking them with it.

Yeah its tricky sometimes, each fragrances is different and the climate play a huge role. sometimes less is better.

It seems impossible but Im completely fatigued by A Men , been wearing it for years and still love it dearly but alas I cannot smell it on myself any longer while everyone else around me has watering eyes and respirators on

Very few scents actually benefit from anything over 3 sprays, and most work best with 2 or only 1 spray.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Yes this is very real.....This is why I take a break from my scents.....When I bring them out again I have a new respect and Love.....Gary

Olfactory fatigue happens a lot when I use Gendarme and the EDP version frequently. Many times I can't smell it after 5 minutes of application yet people say I smell clean and fresh 6-8 hrs after I've sprayed it...

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    Happened to me with ... Kouros. Five sprays.

Someone commented from 8 foot away from me when I went past them in the gym. The sweat could have intensified the smell, but 8 foot away, and all they could have got was a whiff of the scent for a second...

Olfactory fatigue is so real. I make sure that I properly learn how to calibrate each scent as I purchase, and apply only those number of sprays.
    #$$@% (sound of me hiding under a table)

A few days ago I sprayed my beloved Tauer L'air (2 sprays) on a pillow in a bedroom. I closed the door and walked in an hour later and was shocked how strong the scent had permeated the entire room. I'll only wear one spray to work from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    A few days ago I sprayed my beloved Tauer L'air (2 sprays) on a pillow in a bedroom. I closed the door and walked in an hour later and was shocked how strong the scent had permeated the entire room. I'll only wear one spray to work from now on.
    That stuff is incredible!! Moves around a room unlike anything I have ever smelled before.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentational View Post
    I almost never wear a fragrance 2 days in a row 'cause I noticed that when I did, I really didn't have the same experience the 2nd day. In my opinion, olfactory sense is maybe the most tricky of the five ones we have. When I like a fragrance and try it the first times, I'm always disappointed by the strength, it seems sooooo weak, like if the olfactory fatigue went after 20-30min. Then, when I wear it more often, it seems to last longer each time, until I'm able to see what's the "real" longevity on me (and generally a lot of hours).
    When I bought Bulgari pour Homme, first time I sprayed like 5-6 times as I heard it was very subtle and kinda weak. 30min later I almost didn't smell it on me at all. 3-4h later I went at a friend and when I walked in the room he said "wow, you guy smell too much cologne". Since he doesn't like fragrances at all, I don't know if he was just referring to the fact he could smell it or if it was overpowering, but it really surprised me 'cause I was sure it completely faded away of my skin. I guess it was the day I truly understood the "power" of olfactory fatigue, even if I was aware of that before.
    Now when I wear BPH, 2-3 sprays are enough for all day long, and I rarely spray more with any fragrance, anyway.

Totally. I almost prefer people can't smell my fragrance at all instead of choking them with it.

I find that Bulgari Pour Homme and anything from the Gendarme line produce more olfactory fatigue than any other fragrances I own. I always thought both faded completely after 5 minutes until people would ask me what I was wearing several hours later. These colognes always make me scratch my head, but I have learned that they do indeed last a long time.

I rotate my fave scents regularly (a fave scent probably only gets one wearing a week); and just today, a female coworker have remarked that I've been less shy about the 'fumes compared to last year. I mean she liked what I had on today, but I think that is a reminder that olfactory fatigue is real and that I should be less eager on the trigger.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I find that Bulgari Pour Homme and anything from the Gendarme line produce more olfactory fatigue than any other fragrances I own. I always thought both faded completely after 5 minutes until people would ask me what I was wearing several hours later. These colognes always make me scratch my head, but I have learned that they do indeed last a long time.
    Indeed. You can apply the stuff with a fire hose and not be able to smell it 5 minutes later. Every once in a while a strong reminder will waft up, however.

Default Olfactory fatigue and my experiences.

Lately I've been having a problem with olfactory fatigue. It's to the point where I can't spray a fragrance on the front of my neck. If I do this within 2 min or less I can't smell hardly anything and this last many, many hours. At first this was happening with stronger fragrances, but even a fragrance such a Thierry Mugler's cologne overloads my sensory nerves. It's gotten so bad that this can last days where I can't smell accurately but my gustatory sensors are fine. I've had to resort to the back of the neck and lower on the chest/mid torso. Any other members have similar problems? This happens with any fragrance I wear now so it's not something in the juice.

Default Re: Olfactory fatigue and my experiences.

I would say that's a fairly common occurrence. That's why I never spray on the neck, or anywhere near my nose.

Maybe give it a rest for a few days.

I used to, and while I think there is a large role played by breathing in the top notes, I'd also guess that the brain needs to get "wired up" to detect the notes. As a newbie, some notes just didn't seem to register, whereas now the frag is way too strong to wear with just one spray (that was Jacomo Rouge). I suggest just keep sampling frags and trying to figure out what the notes are. Eventually, you can smell it clearly and there is never olfactory fatigue. It just takes time.

Take a break from scents for a while.

I used to get this with certain fragrances. I also stopped spraying to my neck as I was knocking people out with the sillage when I got close. I noticed with certain fragrances the more you spray the quicker the smell vanishes off your radar so I never spray more than two times.

I experience the same with stronger fragrances .Lately I use to spray my fragrances on my chest (as other members recommend), so they keep warm under my clothes and they last there more time than in the neck .

I never spray my neck and sometimes not my chest because of this. Best you avoid the front of the neck at least.

Just got an olfactory fatigue from my signature scent -- New Haarlem. http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com

How long does it usually take to get my normal sense of smell back?

I stopped spraying the front of my neck because of this.

Play around with some of the ideas above, including taking a few days off or spraying no higher than your sternum.

Alternatively, consider spraying your shirt/undershirt, laying it out on a bed or an ironing board for a bit, and then putting it on.

Hope you find something that works for you.