Code of Conduct

Default How long does your bottle of SDV last?

I am trying to decide if I should buy it or not..actually I am trying to talk myself out of it LOL

I already own Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and trying to decide if I need another Vanilla scent, though I know they are two different kinds of vanilla

I sampled it again today and just smells so good I am afraid i would go crazy and spray too many times. Funny thing is first time I tried this way back when i was underwhelmed by it and i think because I only sprayed it once and had too many scents on me, so barely able to smell it. Now I did a 180 turn around.

How many sprays do you use? for one wearing?
    Last edited by denec; 6th August 2009 at 03:51 AM.

Default Re: How long does your bottle of SDV last?

I typically use 3 or 4 sprays. Even though it's a strong fragrance, using several sprays never seems like overkill. It just smells even better the more you apply.

With that in mind, I knew my decant wouldn't last long, so I recently splurged for a full bottle. If you really love the fragrance, you shouldn't regret getting a bottle yourself.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

It is pretty strong, potent stuff...you could easily get by with 2-3 sprays, no problem. It should last you a good while as long as you have a good rotation.

Whoa, slow down.....

There is another thread out there "ultimate masculine vanillas" or something like that, that reveals a host of vanillas. I also recently tried SDV, and I do get the love. However, there are a few other, smoother vanillas that I have fallen for. I find that the opening of SDV is really strong, and has an almost cherry like accord.

While I also like Tom Ford TV, I also just released that from my wish list. My current short list includes Profumum Vanitas, Farmacia's Vanilla de Madagascar and La Maison de Vanille (Madagascar).

Truth is these and probably some others maintain many similarities, so I myself am trying to figure out how to really differentiate.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I am trying to decide if I should buy it or not..actually I am trying to talk myself out of it LOL

I already own Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and trying to decide if I need another Vanilla scent, though I know they are two different kinds of vanilla

I sampled it again today and just smells so good I am afraid i would go crazy and spray too many times. Funny thing is first time I tried this way back when i was underwhelmed by it and i think because I only sprayed it once and had too many scents on me, so barely able to smell it. Now I did a 180 turn around.

How many sprays do you use? for one wearing?
    I too bought it after I tested it from a tiny vial...at that time I already owned Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille yet SDV was so compelling I couldn't resist not buying it...However I think SDV is not as loud as TV and longevity is not as good either...I definitely recommend overspraying SDV to make it bloom which of course means you'd use a lot of SDV....I'd say get a bottle because it's a limited edition anyways and it can possibly disappear from the shelves forever...It definitely can co-exist with TV...

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    ...I find that the opening of SDV is really strong, and has an almost cherry like accord.
    That would be the cherry pipe tobacco note, which is my favorite part of the fragrance. I actually find that the tobacco note dominates everything, even the vanilla, and often refer to the fragrance as Spiritueuse Double Pipe Tobacco. It's magnificent.

There are other great vanilla perfumes, to be sure, but SDV is special.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

It's easy to go through quite a bit of it because it's sublime and beats just about any vanilla out there, IMO. I haven't had an issue with longevity or sillage. Sillage is adequately restrained on this beauty, and rightfully so.

Whoa, slow down.....

There is another thread out there "ultimate masculine vanillas" or something like that, that reveals a host of vanillas. I also recently tried SDV, and I do get the love. However, there are a few other, smoother vanillas that I have fallen for. I find that the opening of SDV is really strong, and has an almost cherry like accord.

While I also like Tom Ford TV, I also just released that from my wish list. My current short list includes Profumum Vanitas, Farmacia's Vanilla de Madagascar and La Maison de Vanille (Madagascar).

Truth is these and probably some others maintain many similarities, so I myself am trying to figure out how to really differentiate.
    I was on that thread you speak of...and tried Profumum Vanitas, it just does not compare, it is way too sweet, i want a vanilla that is not too sweet, and is more mature the other two i have not tried yet but form the reviews I read it just does not sound like it compares to SDV but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    That would be the cherry pipe tobacco note, which is my favorite part of the fragrance. I actually find that the tobacco note dominates everything, even the vanilla, and often refer to the fragrance as Spiritueuse Double Pipe Tobacco. It's magnificent.

There are other great vanilla perfumes, to be sure, but SDV is special.

which is odd i do not smell any tobacco notes, nothing compared to tom ford tobacco TV

that to me smells like pipe tobacco but still very good

I think at least 3 sprays would be sufficient. Personally, I wouldn't use less than 6 sprays but that's just me.

How long the bottle will last would depend on so many variables. Based on this point, denec, I think you've already got a rough idea but just need further confirmation. I'd advise you to buy one bottle and take it from there. I did the same and, eventually, obtained a back-up a few months later. This was completely unplanned but itís a decision I can easily live with...

As for Vanitas, this is very different to SDV and I can understand your reservations about it. However, that's exactly what I was looking for - a straight-forward vanilla taken to the extreme (in a very good way). Itís very sweet, it wonderfully creamy and it verges a little towards the feminine side but I absolutely love it!
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th August 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I think at least 3 sprays would be sufficient. Personally, I wouldn't use less than 6 sprays but that's just me.

How long the bottle will last would depend on so many variables. Based on this point, denec, I think you've already got a rough idea but just need further confirmation. I'd advise you to buy one bottle and take it from there. I did the same and, eventually, obtained a back-up a few months later. This was completely unplanned but it’s a decision I can easily live with...

As for Vanitas, this is very different to SDV and I can understand your reservations about it. However, that's exactly what I was looking for - a straight-forward vanilla taken to the extreme (in a very good way). It’s very sweet, it wonderfully creamy and it verges a little towards the feminine side but I absolutely love it!
    I think Vanitas is a high quality scent but just not for me, too sweet, a bit too feminine for my tastes. I do like the creamier side of it. I definitely got the attention when I wore Vanitas, when I went to the store people smell it, but not sure if I got the right attention. They said it was too sweet.

I do like Un Bois Vanille a bit better then Vanitas to be honest, but I think in the end SDV wins it for me.

I am always afraid of vanilla coming across as feminine, I know most times when you smell linear vanilla it usually on a woman.
    Last edited by denec; 6th August 2009 at 12:25 PM.

denec, I'm sure you're not the only one who will think this about Vanitas but that's cool. It really does test the extremities of unisex.

SDV is my king of kings , usually use 3 or 4 sprays which is pretty heavy as its strong stuff . I got my bottle just before last Christmas and Im about one third down and thats using it every 2 maybe 3 days

I know I should probably know this by now, but can't tell from this thread.

What does SDV stand for?

Ya know, if Basenotes was really serious about us looking beyond gender marketing, they wouldn't even list the little blue or pink arrows by each frag. Interestingly enough, SDV is listed as feminine, while Vanitas is listed as uni.

Having said that, I totally get where you are coming from Denec. I do love the Vanitas and other vanillas, and am just now developing the confidence to wear in public without a care in the world.

denec, I'm sure you're not the only one who will think this about Vanitas but that's cool. It really does test the extremities of unisex.

Spiriteuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I know I should probably know this by now, but can't tell from this thread.

What does SDV stand for?

Probably a lifetime for me since I dab it. With spectacular results, I might add.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Spiriteuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    Thanks! I was trying to think of a Tom Ford scent with SDV and couldn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Probably a lifetime for me since I dab it. With spectacular results, I might add.

how do you dab? i guess you spray into an atomizer first then open the atomizer and dab?

Interestingly enough, SDV is listed as feminine, while Vanitas is listed as uni.
    Based solely on how they smell, its should really be the other way round...

How much does the SDV go for again?

how do you dab? i guess you spray into an atomizer first then open the atomizer and dab?
    That's precisely how I do it.

And at times when i'm not in the mood to open up the small atomizer and dab, I simply aim the atomizer nozzle very close to the skin and spray lightly, and then dab it. Very little juice gets used either way, without compromising on the desired olfactory experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    How much does the SDV go for again?
    I think it's $220 for a 75ml bottle.

I think it's $220 for a 75ml bottle.
    Jeez, Have a heart Guerlain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    Jeez, Have a heart Guerlain...
    Per ml, that's actually cheaper than the 50 ml version of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thť Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

It is worth every single penny ... I even consider getting a back up bottle

Yeah, if it's still around next year, I may even get a second back-up bottle just to be safe.

I find it immensly powerful and with a strong sillage which brings very quick fatigue. When I put one shot under my shirt it is enough for many hours and I get feedback that it is smellable from across the room.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I find it immensly powerful and with a strong sillage which brings very quick fatigue. When I put one shot under my shirt it is enough for many hours and I get feedback that it is smellable from across the room.

Wow I always thought sillage was not that great but I guess I underestimated it

I always knew longevity was great it would last at least 24 hours +
    Last edited by denec; 6th August 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Wow I always thought sillage was not that great but I guess I underestimated it

I always knew longevity was great it would last at least 24 hours +
    Well it does vary a bit depending on heat/humidity but I do think that O.F. comes quickly with this.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Can't wait to receive your sample. Have been looking for a good vanilla scent, and am wondering whether it can replace Tobacco Vanille for me.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thť Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Well it does vary a bit depending on heat/humidity but I do think that O.F. comes quickly with this.
    And also what your nose is normally used to...

And also what your nose is normally used to...
    True, I am usually a lighter fragrances type.

reviews

I just sampled it a couple of days ago thanks to a very generous BNer and it is everything everyone says it is. Simply sublime. Unfortunately, on first test with only one small spray and an array of others on my arms it was sort of drowned out, but it lasted forever. I'm going to test it out again tonight, and it may just end up jumping way up on my wishlist.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Still haven't tried this, my friend I'm actually writing it down this time!!!

Does anybody use SDV as a base layer with another fragrance? It's not that SDV is linear - don't get me wrong.. I think it's fantastic on its own, but I've been wanting to try layering it once with something. Pretty lavish sounding, but alas - I would imagine if it were to be layered with another lovely Guerlain fragrance the results could be out of this world.

Noob question - where do you get this stuff, aside from a Guerlain boutique?

Edit: A half-full 75ml is going for over $100 on ebay. Apparently I'm not the only one who can't find it.
    Last edited by monsieur_sparkle; 6th August 2009 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Does anybody use SDV as a base layer with another fragrance? It's not that SDV is linear - don't get me wrong.. I think it's fantastic on its own, but I've been wanting to try layering it once with something. Pretty lavish sounding, but alas - I would imagine if it were to be layered with another lovely Guerlain fragrance the results could be out of this world.

Also got me curious what else could it be use to layer with?

Bergdorf Goodman in NYC had it at one point, but otherwise I've not heard of anywhere else aside from a Guerlain boutique. I saw the eBay listing too - pretty outrageous considering it's over $100 with 5 days left!

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Noob question - where do you get this stuff, aside from a Guerlain boutique?

Edit: A half-full 75ml is going for over $100 on ebay. Apparently I'm not the only one who can't find it.

I wonder if L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme would be a contender.. or another wood/rich gourmand. With many of the Guerlain fragrances it might be overkill to add the SDV unless you wish to really amp up the vanilla.

*cough* *cough*. I must be the only one in the minority here on this one. When I tried it, I got vanilla. REALLY REALLY SWEET vanilla. Maybe a bit of cherry, but certainly no pipe tobacco accord... and that's what made me want to try it. I thought it was overly, sugary sweet, though it was tempered a bit by a boozy accord. I eventually passed on it feeling it was too feminine.

BUT... it took me a couple of years to like Tobacco Vanille, thinking it was a bit feminine at first, too... And it took over 5 years for me to appreciate M7. So there's hope .
    The Bark Bites Back.

denec: Dont fight it. resitance is futile. lol

No but seriously buy it and if/when u get over it sell it on here. I'm sure it wouldn't last long in the market place.

Monsiour Sparkle:

As far as I know it is only for sale at the Guerlain boutiques. $225 for 75 ml if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Futami; 6th August 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Yep I am now on my way home from saks with a brand new bottle

With nyc tax came to $239.

I could not resist.

Btw anyone know is it normal for the the boxes to not be sealed with plastic? It no biggie looks to be a full bottle just me being ocd after paying so much

Also while I was there I sprayed bois darmenie really nice with vanilla as well but smells familiar just not sure what at the moment

Congrats

My box was not sealed with plastic, directly from Guerlain.

I could not resist.

Btw anyone know is it normal for the the boxes to not be sealed with plastic? It no biggie looks to be a full bottle just me being ocd after paying so much

Also while I was there I sprayed bois darmenie really nice with vanilla as well but smells familiar just not sure what at the moment

I'm trying it w/ oak - patchouli & cedar

Mine - from Neimans - had no cellophane wrapping either.

Congratulations BTW

I could not resist.

Denec - when you started this thread yesterday - you SO knew you would own a bottle before the weekend! Congrats man, enjoy it!!

I could not resist.