Code of Conduct

Default How much in a bottle of Rive Gauche?

I remember reading in a previous Rive Gauche thread that someone had devised a method for measuring how much juice there is inside the bottle. I've done a search and have been unable to find it. I scored a bottle on eBay and wanted to make sure I got an unused bottle before I leave feedback.

Default Re: How much in a bottle of Rive Gauche?

You can score a bottle at Wal-Mart for 19 bucks. I wouldn't worry about it.

They come in 2.5 oz and 4.2 oz IIRC. I have a 2.5 oz bottle and a 2.0 oz of Rive Gauche Intense, and the Intense is roughly twice the size! Still baffles me. It's basically physically impossible for the regular to have more juice. Anyone else experience this?

I've only ever seen the 125ml cans, so maybe you can just weigh it.

I have a brand new can at home right now, actually, maybe 3 spays out of it. I can weigh it when I get home and tell you?
    Last edited by alacious; 7th August 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Put it in the fridge for a few minutes, then take it out and look for a condensation line on the outside of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Put it in the fridge for a few minutes, then take it out and look for a condensation line on the outside of the can.
    Brilliant!
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Just out of curiousity I'd like to try this

I store perfume bottles in freezer/fridge, and occasionally I take a bottle out for an extended period of time, so I see a lot of condensation happening. Plus, I happen to have a can of Rive Gauche - already stored in the fridge.
    =================
    Condensation happens when the warmer moisture on the air outside the bottle/can interacts with the cold surface of the perfume bottle. While in the fridge, all my perfume bottles are condensation-free. The condensation forms when I take them out into the warm room, and when I do, every one of my bottles will form condensation all over the glass, even if the bottle itself is almost empty. Sometimes there's even condensation on the plastic lid.

Some of you probably think condensation is liquid "leaking" from the inside going to the outside. Assuming the bottle is moisture proof, which the can of Rive Gauche seems to be, then the moisture is all from the warm air when I take it outside.

Since if you store a can of Rive Gauche in the fridge the whole metal can from top to bottom will end up the same temperature, condensation will form all along the bottle even if you put in an empty bottle of RG in the fridge.

Now I understand that I think a misunderstanding of how condensation works is probably the reason why some of you are against storing perfumes in fridges.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Some of you probably think condensation is liquid "leaking" from the inside going to the outside.

I am not sure how many people actually believe that...

I wasn't too sure either how the condensation would differ on the surface that is filled with perfume than on the surface where the Rive Gauche bottle is empty...I was wondering that maybe the condensation would slightly differ on the 2 surfaces (i.e. where perfume is in contact with the bottle and where the perfume is not in contact with the bottle) and that would perhaps give a clue on the level of juice remaining....I thought maybe the original poster who suggested to store the bottle in the fridge to see the level of fluid remaining, had actually tried it....

Thanks for clarifying this mate...

Experiment:

I took my fridge-bound bottle of RG PH.

Put it in the bathroom (the most moisture-filled room in the flat)

Check in 5 minutes later:

Condensation has formed all over the bottle, including the top of the lid where we are sure there is no perfume in the lid.....
    - Pierre Bourdon

Basenotes Plus

It seems that Rive Gauche, as well as most Montale frags, is not nearly filled to the top. Is it because of some scientific reason regarding the metal can or is it a more sinister reason such as trying to deceive the public because the contents are not visible?

You can also try these if the condensation method doesn't work. I think perhaps the conditions need to be ideal...or at least you need to keep an eye on the bottle while the condensation forms before the whole bottle gets covered.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=274

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    It seems that Rive Gauche, as well as most Montale frags, is not nearly filled to the top. Is it because of some scientific reason regarding the metal can or is it a more sinister reason such as trying to deceive the public because the contents are not visible?
    Really wild guess, could it be because of the contraction issues with metal cans?

No there is no issue with not filling it to the top. A lot of perfume bottles are a lot bigger than the contents require after all.
    - Pierre Bourdon

When I bought mine it wasn't nearly full, but I assume it was the amount they were claiming was in it.

Since the liquid has more thermal mass than the rest of the bottle, if you don't see the condensation line at the beginning, wipe down the bottle and check it again. This certainly happens when I have a partially full glass of cold water--only the portion where the water is will get condensation. If I wipe it off, it forms again in the same place.

Nice idea Sofresh!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    They come in 2.5 oz and 4.2 oz IIRC.
    Is there anyone around owing a 1.6 oz /50 ml bottle?
    I got mine sealed from ebay,it looks and smells as it should and by the way I like it better, compared to the one I had sampled some years ago from a department store.
    And yes,my bottle too ,sounded underfilled from the begining...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256