Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Which is the fragrance house that suits to your taste/preference

in other words; after all these years in basenotes and 10-500+ bottles in your collection...which is the fragrance house that caters/represents your taste...
    Last edited by jenson; 6th August 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Default Re: Which is the fragrance house that suits your taste/preference

Frederic Malle and Montale

I only have 3 Serge Lutens fragrances in my collection, but I truly love the transgressive, goth-ness of Count Serge and his company's trip aboard the Marrakech Express. It reeks of hash and reads like purple prose.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th August 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Default Re: Which is the fragrance house that suits to your taste/preference

Either YSL or Chanel. Even though I only own one of each right now, they offer something for everyone, every situation, and every budget or tastes, both very well-rounded houses IMO.

What a tough one.. I would have to say Creed, though some folks tend to, in my opinion, lower it to a substandard "midstream" house that sells its products at Costco. Creed has produced a few of the most versatile, high quality fragrances that I feel I can't be without:

Bois du Portugal
    Green Irish Tweed
    Selection Verte

But again, such a tough choice.. I have a lot of love for Serge Lutens, Guerlain and Lorenzo Villoresi - of which I have several that are gorgeous.

Czech & Speake.

I seem to"get" their fragrances more and more as time goes by. No matter what the mood or occasion, I can tap into that rich creative seam and find something that just fits.For me, discovering and enjoying this fragrance house has been a revelation.

Blog Entries

Aramis.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Bond 9 for everyday AND Montale for my taste of being unique.

Easy question for me. I don't like fresh and clean fragrances and prefer those that complement my natural woody-spicy-earthy-with-a-touch-of-honey scent. Orientals are my preference and Serge Lutens makes my favorites.

Sur la Plage

I think I am a Yves Saint-Laurent kinda guy.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

L'Artisan

Second place: Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I only have 3 Serge Lutens fragrances in my collection, but I truly love the transgressive, goth-ness of Count Serge and his company's trip aboard the Marrakech Express. It reeks of hash and reads like purple prose.
    +1, also add Comme des Garcons and Tom Ford Private Blend.

Annick Goutal. I like just about every fragrance AG I've sampled (exceptions are the Orientalistes series), and they tend to smell both austere and exotic at the same time, which I thought was not possible. Eau de Monsieur is a long time favorite of mine.

Dependent

At this moment: Serge Lutens

Runner-up: Creed

Creed

Chanel

Parfum e’Empire (would gladly own most of their women’s/unisex fragrances)

Runner up: Chanel Les Exclusifs (don’t care for the gallon sized bottles though)
    Last edited by kess; 7th August 2009 at 12:01 AM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

For me, it would be Hermes. So far, I have:

24, Faubourg EDP
    24, Faubourg EDT
    24, Faubourg Eau Delicate
    Kelly Caleche (several bottles so far)
    Caleche Eau Delicate
    Caleche
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    For me, it would be Hermes.

Hermes would be a very close second for me - Equipage and Bel Ami are both in my top ten list of all time favorites.

Bond No 9 definately!

Lorenzo Villoresi

Runners-up: MPG (sniff, sniff), L'Artisan, Yves Saint-Laurant.

Ultimately Creed: when they're good, they're easy-to-wear, well-made, high-quality fragrances and the variety is unmatched. From Vintage Tabarome to Virgin Island Water there's a scent for every occasion. Villoresi is probaly second and La Via del Profumo is moving up the ladder quickly.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Creed for me as well, with Hermes second.

Amouage
    Montale
    Serge lutens

Guerlain and Penhaligon's.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Creed and Montale

Creed
    Yves Saint-Laurent

L'Artisan, followed by Frederic Malle and The Different Company.
    Hard question, though!

It's hard to pick only one.

Montale, Creed, Guerlain probably tie.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Etat Libre d'Orange, Freddy Malle & Serge for me. Although I wouldn't cry if all I could wear was Chanel.

I. Malle
    2.I'Artisan
    3.Bond 9

Frederic malle.
    MPG (new !!!)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Creed, Trumper, Penhaligon's

Number 1 for me is easily Creed. BdP, Erolfa, Himalaya, Tabarome, GIT, SMW, RSL, REL - variety and something for all seasons and occasions.

Number two is probably L'Artisan - Timbuktu, Dzing!, Mechant Loup, T42 and on and on
    Closely followed by Chanel

Yves Rocher.

Ok, I'm kidding.

Guerlain.

1. MPG
    2. Hermes

YSL. Out of 13 total in collection, 7 are YSL. They are all stronger, distinct, usually sweet, also.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Creed

Chanel
    I agree. Interchangeable as to which would be number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Yves Rocher.

Ok, I'm kidding.

Guerlain.
    I really like Yves Rocher!

taking price into factor
    its probably vintage YSL and Chanel mainly
    out of the niches I would say Bond No. 9 and Creed

I have yet to really try out (maybe one or two of each) surge, MPG, malle etc
    but for some reason, I don't feel like im missing out on much
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

AromiErotici

After much thought, I cannot come up with one I like the best. My big list of favorites come from all different houses.

Each house offers at least one I find terrific.

I want to force myself to pick only one, so I pick Diptyque.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I cannot decide on a single one. It's easier for me to make a list and start striking the ones that obviously do not qualify until I am left with a few that just can't be removed:

Le Labo
    Bond #9
    Chanel
    Hermes
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

For me, it's a close contest between L'Artisan & Serge - the two houses have quite different character, so between the two they cover a lot of territory.

1. Definitely Serge Lutens (only the exclusive Parisian range) - I love my oriental fragrances - do not take to most of the export line
    2. Caron - have all of their offerings for men including Impact
    3. Fragonard - wonderful range of easy to wear fragrances, very French and very enjoyable - have most of the offerings for men as well as for women. Need to expand on their well being and naturals line.

Definitey Montale

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I really like Yves Rocher!
    Me too. I was just being cute.

Creed.

Followed closely by:
    Guerlain
    Chanel
    Czech & Speake
    Caron
    Yves Saint Laurent
    Balenciaga
    Aramis
    Histoire de Parfums
    Santa Maria Novella
    Serge Lutens
    Ungaro
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Guerlain, great variety of classic and new
    Evenstar

1. Guerlain
    2. YSL
    3. Chanel
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

If we go exclusively by overall quality:

Guerlain
    Chanel
    Hermès
    Christian Dior
    Éditons de Parfums (Frédéric Malle)
    Serge Lutens
    Caron classics

Hmmm... but if we go strictly by count:

Guerlain: 45 bottles
    Serge Lutens: 21 bottles
    Creed: 20 bottles
    L'Artisan Parfumeur: 19 bottles
    Chanel: 18 bottles
    Comme des Garçons: 13 bottles
    Hermès: 12 bottles
    Editions de Parfums (Frédéric Malle): 12 bottles
    Cartier: 11 bottles
    Diptyque: 11 bottles
    Givenchy: 11 bottles
    Caron: 10 bottles
    Tom Ford: 9 bottles
    YSL: 9 bottles
    Montale: 9 bottles
    Christian Dior: 8 bottles
    Acqua di Parma: 7 bottles
    Maître Parfumeur & Gantier: 6 bottles
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Creed.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th August 2009 at 07:23 AM.

Creed because the sheer range + quality suits my preference for things that are refined and practical.

Malle because it's the antithesis of 'safe and expected' and suits my taste in original cutting edge avant garde creativity.

Wanna hear about my other personalities? Thought not - let's leave it at two for now.

Chanel, Guerlain, Armani, Versace and YSL

Niche:
    ADP, Penhaligon's and Creed

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    which is the fragrance house that caters/represents your taste...
    Knize (traditional)
    Comme des Garcons (avant-garde)
    Black Phoenix Alchemical Laboratory (goth/punk)

Sure, there are more prestigious, critically-acclaimed, or accessible houses - but that wasn't the question.

wow! Creed still remains the favorite with 18 votes followed by Chanel (13 votes), Serge Lutens (12 votes) Guerlain (10 votes), Montale (8 votes), L'Artisan (7 votes) and Malle (8 votes), Hermes (5 votes)...

picking one is simply impossible..but, if it had to be a tie it'd be between Mazzolari & Serge Lutens for me.

close runner ups - The Different Company, Creed, L'Artisan Parfumer, Amouage, Diptyque, Guerlain, Montale, Parfumerie Generale & Ungaro.
    Last edited by jenson; 7th August 2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added Parfumerie Generale

Chalk up another for Hermes here. Or maybe Caron...

Lutens is quickly becoming a favorite of mine as well. I would happily purchase a number of bottles if my budget allowed.

At the moment, considering I would gladly own FB of three quarters of their collection, I would have to go with PG (Parfumerie Generale). ... Somehow they just really resonate with me !

There's always at least 2 or 3 frags from just about every "House" that I really luv ! ... (Well Ok, from Guerlain there is actually way, waaaay more than just 3 ~Probably holds an equal place in my estimation really ! ... Whilst Serge Lutens is not exactly lagging far behind, for that matter !) ... But with PG I was actually surprised that there were quite so many frags, from just the one house, that I thought FBW !

(And whilst I don't exactly like every Tom Ford, the ones I do like, I'm totally mad for ! ) ...

And, and, and, ... this is just an impossible question really ! ... As I'm already startin to regret all the other houses I've not yet mentioned !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 8th August 2009 at 12:28 AM.

If I have to choose one: Chanel.

Guerlain, Parfum de Nicolai and Tauer Perfumes are nor far behind...

1. Frederic Malle
    2. Serge Lutens