Code of Conduct

Default Vanilla showdown: Guerlain Spiriteuese Double Vanilla vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I am going to buy one of the two. They are both high quality and worthy, but if I can hanve only one, which one should i choose? Sillage and longevity are relevant.

Default Re: Vanilla showdown: Guerlain Spiriteuese Double Vanilla vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanill

Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille trumps Guerlain SDV both in sillage & longevity, hands down.

It was hard to to pick one of these two beautiful scents therefore I gave in & bought both.

Default Re: Vanilla showdown: Guerlain Spiriteuese Double Vanilla vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanill

I started the exact same SDV vs. TV thread last year: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=216956

Back then, I preferred SDV, but a year later I find myself leaning towards TV and use it more often as I think it fits me more. I think of TV as elegant and suitable for nights out while SDV is more of a personal scent for me to enjoy. Both have excellent sillage and longevity and are great scents, so in the end it's up to your taste

Tobacco Vanille

It's a tie for me, too. Just get both

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    It's a tie for me, too. Just get both

See dreamchaser, this thread won't make things easier...

I don't want to step on any toes here ( ) but I can't understand why anyone would prefer TV to SDV. Admittedly, I am somewhat of a Guerlainhead but I find TV much too loud to be pleasant and I think it smells synthetic compared to SDV. In addition, I feel TV is very unbalanced in that some notes (mainly the sweet vanilla component) completely dominate the rest of the frag with any reasonable application. SDV is much more complex and allows for a good unfolding of all the main accords.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I don't want to step on any toes here ( ) but I can't understand why anyone would prefer TV to SDV. Admittedly, I am somewhat of a Guerlainhead but I find TV much too loud to be pleasant and I think it smells synthetic compared to SDV. In addition, I feel TV is very unbalanced in that some notes (mainly the sweet vanilla component) completely dominate the rest of the frag with any reasonable application. SDV is much more complex and allows for a good unfolding of all the main accords.
    How interesting Merlino. This appears to be yet another demonstration in skin chemistry differences, preferences and perhaps the manner in which preferences may very well evolve over time.

I very much prefer TV. To me, it is a beautiful juxtaposition of tobacco and vanilla from top to bottom. On my skin, a pyramid really does not really develop at all. This does not concern me in the least as I love TV from application to bottom. TV synthetic and loud? No, not to me.

On the other hand, SDV, obviously a beautifully constructed vanilla dominated fragrance, is really all about vanilla and unfortunately wears on my skin a tad too sweet for my preference.

So for me, it is Tobacco Vanille!

I have a feeling that this is going to be a rather opinionated thread as these two fragrances are both quite beloved on Basenotes.

Yes. Both.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    How interesting Merlino. This appears to be yet another demonstration in skin chemistry differences, preferences and perhaps the manner in which preferences may very well evolve over time.

I very much prefer TV. To me, it is a beautiful juxtaposition of tobacco and vanilla from top to bottom. On my skin, a pyramid really does not really develop at all. This does not concern me in the least as I love TV from application to bottom. TV synthetic and loud? No, not to me.

On the other hand, SDV, obviously a beautifully constructed vanilla dominated fragrance, is really all about vanilla and unfortunately wears on my skin a tad too sweet for my preference.
    That's interesting, indeed! I never really believed skin chemistry to have a very big influence but your experiences re: loudness/syntheticness seem to be the polar opposites of mine... We do however agree that TV is linear. If you love the smell of TV that's great, to me it's an extra negative.

Don't get me wrong, I tried TV several times in my quest to find a good alternative to SDV and I really wanted to like it, but it's just not for me.
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Sur la Plage

Tobacco Vanille

But I don't consider the comparison to be a "vanilla showdown" - Tobacco Vanille is much more then just a vanilla scent.

IMO, Micallef Note Vanillee is a much better vanilla fragrance then SDV.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th August 2009 at 09:28 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't find Tobacco Vanille synthetic smelling at all, but my nose agrees with you in that the Guerlain is infact the better engineered fragrance of the two.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

..... In addition, I feel TV is very unbalanced in that some notes (mainly the sweet vanilla component) completely dominate the rest of the frag with any reasonable application....
    The mystery of skin chemistry. On my skin i get more of the tobacco, with vanilla playing a good counter-point.

To OP's question, i prefer TV.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    The mystery of skin chemistry. On my skin i get more of the tobacco, with vanilla playing a good counter-point.

To OP's question, i prefer TV.
    I barely get tobacco out of TV. It's more a honey-vanilla ambery note plus some tobacco on the background.

You can find a similar honey-vanilla ambery note in Hermès Ambre Narguilé and in L'Artisans Tea for Two.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I agree just get both as they are both great frags in their own right , SDV is alot sweeter to my nose

SDV. I think TV wears thin. It smells good on the surface but lacks real depth.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

As a pure vanilla SDV wins hands down for me. This is purely personal preference but in this type of fragrance I like to have the vanilla front and center. Tobacco Vanille is definitely a beautiful fragrance but I get more tobacco than vanilla, and that's why it's not for me. This seems to me to be more of a decision for you based in personal preference rather than which is better. Do you want a tobacco-vanilla experience? Or do you want your vanilla less tampered with?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

When I was sampling various Bond no. 9 fragrances at Holt's ( which I am stepping back from until the arrival of Bleecker St.), I came across the Tom Ford private collection. I sampled the Tobacco Vanille. It seemed pleasante enough, for sure, but I couldnt' get the image of pipe tobacco out of my mind. My girlfriend thought it smelled like clove cigarettes. Although I did find a certain attraction to it in an exotic way, I'm not sure i would want others to think i smell of a tobacco product. Any similar associations iwth the SDV?>

You've said it perfectly. I might add that one person's observation he shared with me was that Tobacco Vanille was a "dirty" vanilla. SDV is boozy with a bit of woods and Vanitas has a bit of floral.. I think comparing SDV & Vanitas is a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    As a pure vanilla SDV wins hands down for me. This is purely personal preference but in this type of fragrance I like to have the vanilla front and center. Tobacco Vanille is definitely a beautiful fragrance but I get more tobacco than vanilla, and that's why it's not for me. This seems to me to be more of a decision for you based in personal preference rather than which is better. Do you want a tobacco-vanilla experience? Or do you want your vanilla less tampered with?

SDV doesn't remind me of pipe tobacco whatsoever, especially putting it next to TV. SDV is much lighter, brighter and even "cleaner".

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    When I was sampling various Bond no. 9 fragrances at Holt's ( which I am stepping back from until the arrival of Bleecker St.), I came across the Tom Ford private collection. I sampled the Tobacco Vanille. It seemed pleasante enough, for sure, but I couldnt' get the image of pipe tobacco out of my mind. My girlfriend thought it smelled like clove cigarettes. Although I did find a certain attraction to it in an exotic way, I'm not sure i would want others to think i smell of a tobacco product. Any similar associations iwth the SDV?>

I gave in and got both just got my bottle of SDV yesterday..and yes last night i over did it went with 10 sprays...way too much

and today I tried a test and layered it with L'instant De Guerlain PH Extreme and it is fabulous
    Last edited by denec; 7th August 2009 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I gave in and got both just got my bottle of SDV yesterday..and yes last night i over did it went with 10 sprays...way too much

and today I tried a test and layered it with L'instant De Guerlain PH Extreme and it is fabulous
    The vanilla should indeed soften the very bitter cacao beans of the L'Instant EdP a bit.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

TV - the tobacco dimension is what makes it interesting.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I just realized how do you pronounce Spiriteuese

Someone asked me last night what I was wearing it smelled good and had no idea how to pronounce it I just said Spiritual

I figured they never heard of it either way

TV all the way. Of course, if you layered them, you might end up with STVD... so use caution, lol.
    The Bark Bites Back.

To my nose there is no wrong choice here. TV or SDV. You can't go wrong. The only thing I will mention is that for TV so 'feel' right for me the temperature must be at least in the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I just realized how do you pronounce Spiriteuese

Someone asked me last night what I was wearing it smelled good and had no idea how to pronounce it I just said Spiritual

I figured they never heard of it either way
    Spiritueuse

It's a little tricky explaining (especially since neither French nor English are my mother tongue), but the i's are pronounced somewhat like the ie in eerie. tu is pronounced as tw like in twins and the eu roughly like in Europe.

So something like spierietweuse. Incidentally, it refers to the boozy nature of the frag (liquor is also referred to as spirits).
    Chant d'Aromes extrait

Selling/swapping:
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    To my nose there is no wrong choice here. TV or SDV. You can't go wrong. The only thing I will mention is that for TV so 'feel' right for me the temperature must be at least in the 60's.
    Futami - are you saying you think TV smells better in temperatures cooler than 70º like in the 60º's or lower, OR temperatures at least as warm as in the 60's or higher? In other words do you like TV in cooler temps or warmer temperatures?

I am curious because I was holding of splurging for a bottle of TV until temps cool down a bit for me. I had perceived this one as a cold weather scent. But, I have noticed that some other tobacco scents I have actually don't smell as accurate in really cold weather. So does this do well in the heat or cold better?

I have both and if I had to choose one it would be TV.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Vanilla showdown: Guerlain Spiriteuese Double Vanilla vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    I am going to buy one of the two. They are both high quality and worthy, but if I can hanve only one, which one should i choose? Sillage and longevity are relevant.
    Love both but with SDV you will get 2.5 oz for $260 and TF 1.7 for $210
    That would be the only thing that would sway me other wise having both would be my choice because they each are FB worthy

Default Re: Vanilla showdown: Guerlain Spiriteuese Double Vanilla vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Alia24 View Post
    That would be the only thing that would sway me other wise having both would be my choice because they each are FB worthy
    Why do you keep bumping dead threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alia24 View Post
    He probably paid somewhat less in 2009!

Seriously, 'though - it's better to try to join in the current threads here as the old ones are pretty much out of date now and not often worth reviving.

Sorry was just looking at one thread that was current and the bottom showed some other threads that peeked my interest
    Didn't even pay attention to the dates

No worries, Alia24