Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caron Masculines - Interest before Luca Turin's "The Guide"

Before Luca Turin's "The Guide" came out, I can't recall much discussion here about Caron beyond the odd mention of Yatagan. It seems like Turin put Caron on the map and for good reason.Caron masculines are quite strange but yet so good especially Yatagan & 3rd Man. I can't remember anybody pre-Turin raving about them. I know Caron has zero presence (and distribution) in the US, but I would've thought Euro Bnoters would've been raving about it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention back then...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Caron Masculines - Interest before Luca Turin's "The Guide"

I dont think Caron should be cutting any checks to LT or anything.

It is true that all of the men's and women's scents are nicely varied and of high quality.

I haven't tried the Third Man, but from what I read, I would either dislike it or think it was rather bland. Yatagan does get attention here, as you noted. The other two I find to be strange and unpleasant, and my guess is that this is why Caron doesn't do much in the USA. Yatagan doesn't appeal to the masses either, and Third Man would probably be viewed as "old man juice" by the guys (or gals) buying the most masculine frags here. So Caron probably knows what they are doing by keeping a low profile in the USA. They can sell some bottles, but there's no need to invest in much advertising, placement, etc. My question for them is, why not create a new masculine that would appeal to the US demographic that buys the most men's frags (probably women buying it for their BFs/husbands anyway)? If they did, then they could give samples of the others.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th August 2009 at 05:21 AM.

I think Caron probably sells more bottles in the US than in Europe. I hate to generalize, but I think the demographic of Europeans that are into discovering fragrances are not inclined to buy "old and traditional' brands, but rather new designer offerings. On my numerous trips to Paris, Milan, London, Dusseldorf I rarely see Caron fragrances on the shelves of any stores. The Italian, French and German women I know seem to always be wearing the latest Estee Lauder fragrance. The Euro guys I know tend to wear more niche things like Malle and Tom Ford.
    I certainly wore Yatagan before Luca Turin started writing about fragrances. I actually think Caron has less threads on Basenotes than many other houses.
    Sorry to be so contrary.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2009 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have L Anarchiste, Yatagan , Third Man and Pour Homme and I really like them all but Pour homme which is too much lavender. Overall, in my opinion, Caron is best value for the money you pay. In my book L Anarchiste is a very unique and great juice, among my top five.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I have L Anarchiste, Yatagan , Third Man and Pour Homme and I really like them all but Pour homme which is too much lavender. Overall, in my opinion, Caron is best value for the money you pay. In my book L Anarchiste is a very unique and great juice, among my top five.
    I didn't even know Caron existed until I joined basenotes in 2007, very low profile in Australia

Hey basteri, I've been interested in testing L'Anarchiste for a while. What sort of longevity do you get, and is it an OK all year fragrance in your opinion?

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Caron masculines are very fine indeed, and I discovered many of them over the years at Nordstrom, a pretty mainstream outlet, though they don't carry many now. I knew Yatagan before any of the rest, in the late 1970s.

Caron has had some very striking feminines as well, but recent complaints about reformulation have cost them a kind of downgrading in some quarters, I fear. I can't complain about any of the ones I have, including Bellodgia, Farnesiana, Narcisse Noir, Nuit de Noël, Parfum Sacré, and Tabac Blond. All or some of these may have been greater in the past, but I have no quarrel with the versions I have. The last four I mention in particular seem very fine to my nose, pace Luca Turin on Tabac Blond.

A lot of the discussion on reformulations seems to me to be a dig at the industry's commitment to quality, but looking a little deeper it appears to me that this accusation misses the mark. The evidence seems to point at the EEU's regulations restricting many perfume ingredients as allergens or pathogens as the motive force behind many reformulations. The perfume companies in Europe have no choice but to comply. I must sympathize with them; it must be very difficult indeed to try to adjust old formulas without many of the old ingredients and still be expected to achieve the same results.

There are those who complain that the movement behind all this strict regulation of perfume materials comes from the synthetics labs and their lobby in Brussels. Of that, I don't have enough direct knowledge to make an informed judgment.

Anyway, Caron is a pretty damned good outfit given the times we're living in. I hope they don't get so discouraged as to give up trying to maintain the highest quality.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

I had Caron puh, Yatagan and Third Man before Turin. They seemed obvious choices to me from what I had read on BN, even as a beginner and proved easly available through the market place. I traded Yatagan at some point (for Caraceni) as I never wore it, while 3rd Man has become a favorite.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't tried the Third Man, but from what I read, I would either dislike it or think it was rather bland.
    Hey Bigsly, you really need to check it out. I don't think anyone could accuse Third Man of being bland. It is truly a beautiful fragrance that has stood the test of time remarkably well. I've had a bottle in my wardrobe since it first came out (late eighties, when Turin was still sniffing his granny's 4711, and probably enjoying it).

It's the lavender from Pour un Homme but don't let that put you off; I'm no fan of Pour un Homme because the lavender is far too in-your-face, but it's toned down with a magnificent soft musk and delicate florals on a superb amber/tonka/vanilla base. I don't think it's dated at all. Just pure class.
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 7th August 2009 at 07:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you give Turin too much credit. Caron's masculines were absolutely discussed and highly praised prior to publication of The Guide. They were some of my first purchases when I was starting this hobby, thanks largely to everyone here at Basenotes.

Post Thanks / Like

The men's Caron scents were heavily discussed here in the early 2000s. Discussion somewhat died out as many here went on to wearing and discussing niche scents, womens scents and niche women's scents.

Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Pour un Homme is one of the best fragrance classics ever made, so it will continue to spark well-deserved attention and interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    I dont think Caron should be cutting any checks to LT or anything.

I'd seriously doubt Caron was paying off Turin, considering how he trashed so many of the other Caron frags (eg, Tabac Blond, etc.), often referring to how Richard Fraysse has tampered with so many of their offerings, resulting in "disastrous reformulations".

I can't really speak to whether the reformulations are disastrous, but I can say that I own Pour Un Homme, Yatagan and Troisieme Homme, and all three of them are outstanding! And yes, PMH is truly a lavender bomb, and that's why I love it!
    Last edited by shamu1; 7th August 2009 at 11:46 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

The Caron men's fragrances (Pour un Homme, L'Anarchiste, The Third Man, Yatagan) were in my wardrobe before "the book" was published - and they will always remain in my wardrobe.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have to agree with DocmanCC. One of the earliest discoveries were what I call the Caron "holy trinity" of Caron pour Un Homme, Le 3me Homme, and Yatagan. L'Anarchiste came later sort of like D'Artagnan as the Fourth Musketeer.
    I think if you look at the recommendation threads you'll see multiple mentions of all of the Caron masculines. I know that was what brought them to my attention. When I was lurking on Basenotes as a guest I'd read a thread asking for a recommndation and one of the trinity , if not all three, would eventually be named and by different posters. That indicated to me that there was something there if many different members were liking these scents.
    I've since come to explore much of the Caron line and really think it is one of those overlooked house more because of availablity in the US more than anything. although there are many online sources you just don't get the same chance to sample as you do with most scents in the price range of the Carons.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I remember around the time of my joining L'Anarchiste and Yatagan were talked about and recommended often. From my at the time newbie perspective they both registered to me as 'must try' frags. Well, I tried both, and own both!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Caron Masculines - Interest before Luca Turin's "The Guide"

My both grand fathers ( who were brothers ), my uncles, my father, their friends, all of them used to wear CARON POUR UN HOMME, ( amonsgt other CARONS, etc ) which bottle is very familiar to me , it is a bottle i used to see always in their shelf, and when i was a child , later as a student and now i have to own and wear PUH.
    Later,it was YATAGAN and after LE TROISIEME HOMME ( anothers must have in my wardrobe ), and "the book" was not was published yet.
    I do not give Mr. Turin any credit
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

Pour un Homme, Yatagan and 3rd Man were in my wardrobe before Turin's 'Perfumes' - all regretted blind buys, as it turned out. Never wear them, but perhaps good to have for reference sake, and as a reminder that in the end personal taste should be the deciding factor. Not to say that I've stopped buying blind...

I think the Turin conspiracy stuff as as it applies to Caron and even Estee Lauder is a bit of a stretch...one could then say, "Well he puts down other Caron scents, even Estee Lauder just to throw us off track..."

I do think previous refs to European present tastes is accurate...even going back to the 90's...

BTW, this is NOT to put down any Caron offerings, some of which are fine...

Post Thanks / Like

I too remember Caron Masculines mentioned quite a bit. In fact when I first joined and asked for a recomendation of a Lavender based scent, Pour un Homme was one of the first replies; and l'Anarchist always had a reputation of being a "bloddy" scent. It would be recomended at least once everytime someone asked for something dark and sinister.
    Last edited by The Duke; 7th August 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard or seen Caron prior to joining BN. They aren't sold in major malls and shops here.... But I've in more recent times seen Pour Un Homme and 3rd Man scarcely stocked in lesser known stores during my fragrance hunts.

I regularly see Third Man and L'Anarchiste (and others) in stores (Sephora?). I recall many discussions here about Caron in the early part of this decade (when did I start here? 2004?) prior to Turin's guide.

A few years ago, Caron moved its Madison Ave NYC boutique to Lexington Ave (in the same building as Phyto Universe: http://www.nstperfume.com/2007/10/14...e-in-new-york/

Though not nearly as charming a shop, they still sell the entire line (and display those bodacious crystal urns).

And all of Caron's fragrances for men are available online at just about any site that sells scent.

I knew of Caron before Turin as well and I don't credit his book to my knowledge of the house. I have yet to sample L'Anarchiste which I am so curious about.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    The men's Caron scents were heavily discussed here in the early 2000s. Discussion somewhat died out as many here went on to wearing and discussing niche scents, womens scents and niche women's scents.

Renato
    I agree

Post Thanks / Like

I was recommended L'Anarchiste and Yatagan either on my first post or around then, and that's two years ago now.

Post Thanks / Like

When I joined BN there was occasional talk of Pour un homme and Yatagan. I guess Caron as a house got more talk after the Guide stated how the once great house was being ruined by an incompetent nose. I credit Turin for calling out Richard Fraysse - why are Caron paying him the big bucks again ?
    Last edited by zztopp; 7th August 2009 at 06:04 PM.
    -

Off-Scenter

I have to line up behind DocmanCC, Renato, and SMM. There's quite a history of Caron masculine reviews and discussions on Basenotes, dating to waaaaay back before Turin and Sanchez published The Guide. Pour un Homme has been widely acknowledged here as one of the classic lavenders, The 3rd Man is extremely popular, and both Yatagan and L'Anarchiste have been igniting passionate controversy here for years. (Just go back and look through the reviews!)

I keep bottles of Yatagan and L'Anarchiste in my wardrobe as both are among the most distinctive masculine scents on the market - not to mention stupendous bargains. The other two are much more conventional and would be redundant in my collection, but they are still outstanding scents and very much worth sampling for anyone with an interest in masculine perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I have to line up behind DocmanCC, Renato, and SMM. There's quite a history of Caron masculine reviews and discussions on Basenotes, dating to waaaaay back before Turin and Sanchez published The Guide. Pour un Homme has been widely acknowledged here as one of the classic lavenders, The 3rd Man is extremely popular, and both Yatagan and L'Anarchiste have been igniting passionate controversy here for years. (Just go back and look through the reviews!)

I keep bottles of Yatagan and L'Anarchiste in my wardrobe as both are among the most distinctive masculine scents on the market - not to mention stupendous bargains. The other two are much more conventional and would be redundant in my collection, but they are still outstanding scents and very much worth sampling for anyone with an interest in masculine perfumery.
    As much as I love The 3rd Man (and who doesn't love a third man), I can tire of it quickly if I am overexposed. I think Chanel made a much better version with Egoiste, of which I never tire.

L'Anarchist is my favourite Caron
    Each wearing is a different experience, so unique versatile

Aussie BN - it can be bought for cheap at some places online
    Perfumery.com.au

Has anyone tried Caron's Alpona extrait ?

It's great to see Caron obtain so much publicity here - Caron has been around for a long time and as purely a perfume house, it is very much on par with Guerlain as far as status goes. A much respected house, it was one for people in the know and one of my most respectable perfume makers. I bought Yatagan in a cofret set along with the after shave in 1985 and has grown so attached to this unusual scent - could not find it for a while and then found it again some 5 years ago. Le Troisieme Homme I have in the original bottle with the glass stopper as well as the spray bottle. Also have a bottle of Pour Homme for so long but was never taken with it until I smelt Impact and had to have a bottle of it - now I fully appreciate Pour Homme after all this time. L'Anarchiste was love at first sight and smell - the bitter orange opening to the 7 different musks basenotes - I actually got a lady friend hooked on it and had to buy a bottle for her.
    All in all Luca Turin was not around then and I don't really read any of his reviews for me to know what I like and there is a reason why the classic fragrances have been around for as long as they have. I've always been interested in Caron's fragrances since the 80s and will continue to do so I do pine for a new offering from them though .......

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Caron would come out with another men's fragrance already. I have the four and wish there were more. Wish there were a vetiver, for example.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I never read "The Guide". Only his blog and the NZZ-Folio-texts.

I got to know the house of Caron via "Scent of a Woman". In the last scene Al Pacino mentions "Fleurs de rocaille - flowers from a brook".

One week ago I received a sample of Yatagan that nearly made me cry madly because of its beauty. I will order that as soon as possible (end of month?). I feel this could be the start of a wonderful friendship.

I'm a huge fan of Caron. I own Yatagan, 3rd Man, and L'Anarchiste. The first two are among my favorite frags. L'Anarchiste I've grown to like more after being initially a bit underwhelmed. All are outstanding values. I really need to try Caron puh, since I love lavender. Given the price of Carons, it'll probably end up being a blind buy one of these days!

smeller

Caron is the most traditional house besides Guerlain, period.

Kudos for Luca Turin for recognizing their value, but basenoters know it well way before he wrote that book.

And don't forget that Caron Pour Un Homme, a timeless beauty, was one of the first frags really marketed for men, perhaps the very first (before it, I can only think of Knize Ten and Jicky/Mouchoir de Monsieur, and these are debatable).

Carons were always discussed here. I've known Carons since I was a child and particularly PuH, which would be considered my "desert island" scent too. When I was growing up, men around me wore it. I owned all four masculines before LT.
    Caron is one of the only true classic houses left around today. Yes, it's sad that they've had to reformulate many of their gems too. I doubt that they sell better in the U.S. than Europe as suggested above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I wish Caron would come out with another men's fragrance already. I have the four and wish there were more. Wish there were a vetiver, for example.

Ohh I'm with you, I'd love to try Caron's take on a vetiver.

I remember a lot of Caron discussion and Third Man and L' Anarchiste were often mentioned and recommended as a classy scent that was different but very affordable.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I have & wear all the Caron Masculines about 6-8 years.
    And I got it in US web-stores for humble 15-20 USD plus shipping!
    So I believe that Caron is available there.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    As far as you mentioned your wish for something new, there is two new Oud Based Caron perfumes.
    But they are available in Paris, rue Montaigne only, for rich Arabian clients, I suppose.

oh, Vetiver de Caron would be nice too...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've sampled their Pour in Homme and Yatagan. I didn't like the PuH but I thought Yatagan was interesting. I'm yet to acquire a bottle, though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

The Caron's are truly a bargin as well as being some of the most wonderful scents available.

Post Thanks / Like

Turin deserves no credit for interest in Caron masculines. I'm not a fan of Caron PH, and have mixed feelings about 3rd Man, but Yatagan and L'Anarchiste are amazing original fragrances and among the absolute best available for men.