Code of Conduct

Default Goutal's Eau du Sud: Wow. How have I missed this?

So while trying out some of the other new releases at the local Bloomies (Roadster: hideous toothpaste hell, Varvatos Rock: bottle weighs 1000 pounds, juice is a lightweight version of the original), I decided to try a spray of Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud, which has obviously been around for a while but i've never tried before. Now, i'm a big fresh / green / citrus guy. My favorite mainstream frags tend to be stuff like Mugler Cologne, Paul Smith Story, V&R Antidote, etc. So when the SA wen't "oh, this is a salty, dry lemon scent, you might like it", I went "hmmm". But the conversation between me and Eau du Sud went something like

me: *spritz*
    EdS: Why, hello there, what took you so long?
    me: What do you mean, Eau du Sud?
    EdS: I've been waiting since the 1990s.
    me: For.... me?
    EdS: Of course, silly. I'm your favorite fragrance you never knew about. Love me.
    me: You are quite nice. Lemon, but *not* Lemon Pledge, or Lemon dish detergent. Very dry, and salty, just like the SA said. Man, you are crazy nice. What is your drydown going to be like, anyway?
    EdS: Shhh...shhh... let's not talk specifics. You'll see my basenotes soon enough.
    me: Did the lights just go down a touch in here?

Of course, they didn't have any bottles at the male frag counter, so the SA had to run over to the women's store (which is actually an entirely separate store at the other end to the shopping center) and bring a bottle back. So I didn't get the somewhat plain looking "male" Annick Goutal bottle, instead I have the ribbed female bottle. But who cares, the juice inside is the same!

So, needless to say, I am currently in heavy infatuation with Eau du Sud. May this hot weather we've been having keep on keeping on!

AromiErotici

Default Re: Goutal's Eau du Sud: Wow. How have I missed this?

I wear Eau de Sud and like it as well. Surprising longevity for a citrus scent and the Lemon is pretty darn good.
    Last edited by AromiErotici; 8th August 2009 at 05:17 AM.

I'm another admirer of this rich scent.

I love it too. I just picked up an extra bottle on Ebay for about $30!!! Yep, I know I got a really good deal. It follows the traditional citrus cologne route but with a twist. I highly recommend it.

Sur la Plage

Count me as a big fan also. It's good stuff!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Three cheers for EdS! And s/he's got relatives to try too: Eau d'Hadrien, Eau d'Hadrien Assolu, Les Nuits d'Hadrien, and Eau de Monsieur.

Another member of the Eau de Sud fan club, as well. I think it is one of Annick Goutal's undersold scents especially to men who like citrus scents.
    The SA actually did a nice job to get you to try it.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 8th August 2009 at 12:58 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Eau de Sud is awesome, even better as a feminine, IMO. My wife turned me on to it about 12 years ago. I haven't worn it in years, but I still love it. It has an exotic Mediterranean feel to it that I particularly love. Glad to see this gem get some attention on these boards.

Great summer scent.

I'm with you - I just recently picked up a bottle after sampling a while back. It's hard to find good lemon/citrus scents for me... most seem adulterated, too sweet, or have the weird grapefruit/locker room thing.

Definitely try Les Nuits de Hadrien too - it's a little more sultry, with a creamy base that makes your mouth water.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thumbs up Re: Goutal's Eau du Sud: Wow. How have I missed this?

Eau du Sud is wonderful...a masterpiece, one of the best summer scent and it is a must have for all perfume lovers.
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 11th August 2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

My favorite goutal hands down and indeed one of the finest citrus scents around. It reminds me alot of Detaille's Aeroplane, which is an early 20th century perfume. Very trad.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I prefer Eau du Sud to the much-vaunted Eau d'Hadrien. I love that basil note with verbena, grapefruit, and lime; and the sandalwood-vanilla base is exquisite and perfectly matched.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

— Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

A truly marvellous scent - while it is great as a summer scent, I actually prefer to use this in winter. I once spent a month in winter and this was the only scent I used for the whole month, the scent was just so crisp and invigorating with an exceptionally comfortable woody note, very long lasting but never too overpowering. Somehow the crisp citrus herbal scent complements the cold winter air and ambience - Just perfect for all occasions and I am happy to use this at night as well.

Yeah, It definitely works in hot weather, but I like your line of thinking aaz. I could see wearing it on one of those strangely still days after a big snowstorm has come through, blanketing everything in white.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I prefer Eau du Sud to the much-vaunted Eau d'Hadrien. I love that basil note with verbena, grapefruit, and lime; and the sandalwood-vanilla base is exquisite and perfectly matched.
    I have only worn it once and I too prefered it to Eau d'Hadrien.

Well I'm a fan of Eau d'Hadrien but I do know that I need to try Eau de Sud. I've only spritzed it in shops. I need to give it serious consideration. It sounds good.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the grapefruit note. Eau de Sud is all about a soft grapefruit to me. It smells great on my husband. I don't get much out of it. I prefer the exaggerated sweat note from Guerlain's AA Pamplelune but you won't get that here. This is soft & gentle.

Also, Check out Eau de Hadrien in EDP! It is far superior to the men's bottle which for some weird reason is the vastly inferior EDT. Try it, you may really like it. the cypress woods and the sharp lemon are quite good.
    Last edited by kumquat; 10th August 2009 at 01:06 AM.

So it's citrus, salty and herbal, according to you guys. Gotta say I'm tempted, such a sucker for a good citrus. I have (and enjoy) Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère, Escale à Portofino, so do you think will Eau du Sud fill a gap in my collection?

I love it because it really nails the salty/dry/lemon. Most of my other citrus scents go 'green' (lime notes, grapefruit notes) or go 'orange' (tangerine, neroli, etc), but most of the other citruses I know that go for Lemon end up smelling like lemon pledge or lemon dishwasher detergent (l'eau par kenzo, for example).

Eau du Sud doesn't smell like pledge or detergent. And wearing it again today, it lasts much longer than most other citrus scents i've tried. I don't think it has massive sillage, but it has massive staying power.

I wore it today to the beach and loved it. Luckily, I don't get the grapefruit note kumquat mentioned (grapefruit rich scents make me think stinky locker room for some reason). I was a bit sad when it came time for sunscreen and I had to cover it up (I'm often guilty of bringing a sprayer with me to the beach to douse all day, but not today)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Basenotes Institution

I have never smelled this one.

Is the basil prominent in this? Is that primarily what differentiates it from Eau de Hadrien (which I liked from a sample)?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have never smelled this one.

Is the basil prominent in this? Is that primarily what differentiates it from Eau de Hadrien (which I liked from a sample)?
    I found Eau de Hadrien much drier than Eau du Sud - Eau de Hadrien has a woody base, where as Eau du Sud is a top-heavy chypre. I found both to have a rather harsh lemon note, but EdH was drier and less vibrant, where as EdS enters with a fresh burst of neroli and the lemon comes on stronger and rounder. I found Eau du Sud to be the better fragrance by far, but the lemon is just too much for me in the heart, despite a very nice, soft, mossy base. I really don't smell basil in Eau du Sud, but I've only worn it a couple times.