Code of Conduct

Default Boadicea the Victorious Reviewed (Complex, Noble, Intense, Exotic, Explorer)

I recently bought the Boadicea the Victorious sample pack from Luckyscent and have been testing them rigorously. Here are my thoughts.

First and foremost, I'd like to say that the line as a whole has amazing longevity, so those looking for long-lasting scents would be pleased. 12 hours in and they are still going strong. Even the lighter scents that revolve around citrus last. However, the overall impression I am getting from Boadicea is that they are not blended masterfully enough for the price they are asking for and end up feeling muddied. The creations bring to mind the offerings from amateurish indie houses, especially American lines. Boadicea the (Un)Victorious comes off as quite disappointing and are definitely not bottle-worthy for the price LS is asking for them. Why spend so much when there are better options out there?

As a side note, I must admit that I am not that good in writing reviews, but I 'tried' not to use too much colorful language and hope these will be useful, informative, and as enjoyable to read as I have writing them:

===================================

Complex - heavy and sharp animalic violets and leather

Complex starts out sharply with animalic (in your face civet) and tarry violets accented by some bitter-sour labdanum. At this point, I get both the basil and sage together all at once.... and it pretty much stays the same with the ingredients in this chaotic blend fighting for your attention, but at the end, the violet, civet/musk, and birch tar wins. Here, the birch tar and labdanum together help create a smoky-leathery effect. It's not as sensual and enveloping as MKK, it's not a 'second-skin' scent like L'ombre Fauve, and in no way is it nuanced or multi-faceted. It's pretty surprising how it remains sharp from top to base the whole time as well. The overall impression is that the creation is rather confused, unstructured, and just chooses to go with brute force rather than intelligence. However, at this time, I can't think of another full-on animalic violet scent, so if it's your thing -- then go for it, but keep in mind that at $265, you could get yourself both MKK and a little bit of Musk Ghazelle / Musc Ravaguer.

List of notes: Violet, labdanum, leather, musk, civet, basil, sage

Noble - patchouli and rose, but for little girls (and first ladies)

Throughout its progression, Noble is predominantly rose and patchouli with a backdrop of what smells like vanillin and ethylmaltol like you may have encountered before in L'artisan's Vanilia and Profumum's Vanitas. The bergamot is very present at the top and lasts longer than most other scents, but eventually fades away. Sniffed far away, the sillage is very liquor-like and inebriating in a good way. Not too dark like other scents in this category, and more feminine than other patchouli-rose combinations.

It's okay but there is a synthetic plasticky note that annoys me. Still, at $450 for 100ml, you could instead purchase Noir de Noir, Black Aoud, and Voleur de Roses and still have lots of spare change. Someone should send Obama a sample of Black Aoud though. We'd have her swooning.

List of notes: Bergamot, rose, vanilla, patchouli

Intense - honeyed fruity floral

Remember how too much of honey could make frags like Miel de Bois suddenly conjure up images and memories of the men's bathroom? (or in a better case -- noble rot in Ginestet's Botrytis) Well, it's back this time in Boadicea's fruity floral, and it's pissed off. Intense is a very sweet concoction of roses, jasmine, and lily with patchouli and vanilla at the base with honey (unlisted) poured all over it. The phenolic honey note is very persistent and remains present until the drydown. Not too loud, excellent longevity -- perfect one for Winnie the Pooh's wife.

List of notes: Citrus, rose, lily, jasmine, patchouli, vanilla

Exotic - aromatic blackcurrant over a conventional base

Exotic starts off promisingly with sharp and mentholated blackcurrant (aka 'a bunch of synthetic fruity aromachemicals') that slowly calms down to a fairly traditional creamy but airy melange of patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, and just a pinch of vetiver with some dirty musk. A bit chocolate-y in texture, but comes off as synthetic and only a little bit above designer releases. Exotic lacks depth and isn't lush at all as the name might suggest. I'd suggest avoiding it despite actually having a thing for it.

Sills well, great longevity.

List of notes: Musk, black truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, blackcurrant, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla tears, sandalwood

Explorer - grim citrus

Explorer is a dark, medicinal, camphoraceous, and leathery twist on the cologne genre, but ends up feeling extremely muddied and grim. It starts off with a lasting bitter citrus and is predominant with cypress and violets. (yet again) Initially similar in feel to Complex, but goes a totally different direction with an emphasis on leather accented by tobacco.

The press release said this was an "acidic enervating citrus." I thought it was just bad writing, but now I'd have to agree -- all the life and vitality of the citrus has been sucked out of Explorer, which may be a good thing for many people as fresh and bracing citruses are commonplace. Good sillage and longevity.

List of notes: Sicilian lemon, citron, cypress, orris, violet, tobacco, Tuscan leather, oud

So, anyone else tried these or other offerings from the line and have any thoughts? Would love to hear if they worked for you.
    Last edited by moltening; 8th August 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Default Re: Boadicea the Victorious: 5 Full Reviews (Complex, Noble, Intense, Exotic, Explore

Very well written reviews here, thanks for these

I must say that the House of Boadicea upsets me. So-so scents at extravant prices. WTF's up with fragrance pricing these days anyway

Complex sounds like my "type" of a scent but at that price, you're right, I'd better get MKK instead. Would make more sense that way, whichever way I'd look at it Noble is $450 for 100ml, what, huh? Gee that's amazing -- one MORE Rose-Patch combo, and at those prices, still lackluster as you've noted in your review

The others sound just as forgettable. WTF

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: Boadicea the Victorious: 5 Full Reviews (Complex, Noble, Intense, Exotic, Explore

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Very well written reviews here, thanks for these

I must say that the House of Boadicea upsets me. So-so scents at extravant prices. WTF's up with fragrance pricing these days anyway

Complex sounds like my "type" of a scent but at that price, you're right, I'd better get MKK instead. Would make more sense that way, whichever way I'd look at it Noble is $450 for 100ml, what, huh? Gee that's amazing -- one MORE Rose-Patch combo, and at those prices, still lackluster as you've noted in your review

The others sound just as forgettable. WTF
    Marketing, marketing! If you put a high price tag on what you sell...people will *think* your product is worth the cash you give up.

Marketing psychology is vile...it gets you to buy based on insecurities. Just look at the gorgeous packaging of the scents, too.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.