Code of Conduct

Default The Oldest Cologne In The World

They say that 4711 Eau de Cologne is the oldest cologne in the world bottled in 1792. They say it was given to Fredich Muelhens by a monk.

Is this true?

What is the oldest Fragrance you have in your collection, how far can you go back.?

Are there Fragrance formulas that have been found from Roman times for example and has anyone produced them.?

I just find it interesting as there may be a unique fragrance "gem" that has been lost or overlooked because of time.

Default Re: The Oldest Cologne In The World

I don't know how accurate the recreations are, but the guy behind this company is apparently the "Indiana Jones of perfume". Anyone tried any?

http://www.scentsoftime.co.uk/

Fiori de Capri by Carthusia dates back to 1390. It could be the oldest.

One of the oldest Eau de Cologne brands still in production today is the Eau de Cologne by Farina Gegenuber (1709).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th August 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks for the information guys, Kanasta that website looks very interesting. I like the look of that ancient Egyptian Ankh Fragrance.

Elsha's 1776 Cologne was probably first made then .
    A superb leather fragrance it is , but I don't understand why many/most here call it "Russian Leather" ? as it only has 1776 Cologne written on the bottle & box .

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Elsha's 1776 Cologne was probably first made then .
    A superb leather fragrance it is , but I don't understand why many/most here call it "Russian Leather" ? as it only has 1776 Cologne written on the bottle & box .
    I know this is definitely "off the thread" but, I've wondered that myself. Why the "Russian Leather" sub title for Elsha 1776 when it doesn't appear anywhere on the bottle or box? Is this from an older version of the bottle or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I know this is definitely "off the thread" but, I've wondered that myself. Why the "Russian Leather" sub title for Elsha 1776 when it doesn't appear anywhere on the bottle or box? Is this from an older version of the bottle or something?
    As I think on my own history of seeing this fragrance mentioned here on basenotes, and describing it myself, it seems it was always referred to as Elsha 1776 Rusian Leather. But it could be that at some point in the past, someone qualified their description of Elsha 1776 as a "Russian leather" scent to further describe the type of fragrance it is. From this descriptive term it just got picked up by habit from copying the text and repeated until people just started calling it Russian Leather as part of the title. I know I have called it Russian Leather because of repeating how I had seen it titled in threads on Basenotes, but I was very surprised to see that when I got my bottle the words Russian Leather were not to be found on the box or bottle!? I had heard that the distributor of this scent had purchased the rights to continue producing the fragrance a few years ago and it could be that the revised packaging which is a very simplified box left this sub head off the printed information on the box - but that is pure speculation on my part.

Does anyone know more about this?
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 8th August 2009 at 03:04 PM.

thanks Buzzle !
    I suspect your correct ...
    you saved me a lot of typing

I been meaning to ask this since i got my bottle

Carthusia fragrances are modern perfumes that have nothing to do with alleged historical precedents.
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...istory-ii.html

4711 was a plagiarized Farina
    http://www.basenotes.net/interviews/20090617.html

As far as I know Elsha was a Russian brand brought to the United States and then patriotically rechristened 1776. Leather notes did not exist in 1776, perfumes for scenting leather were an entirely different affair.
    elsha tells this story: http://www.elsha.com/

I haven't tried it myself, but at the price it's probably highly synthetic with a formula dating from the 20th century.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks for the input The good life, I read your blog. Most enlightening.