Code of Conduct

Red face Cuir Mauresque: OMG, they copied...

... the extra-stinky scent of my college's bathrooms!

I finally decided to open up my sample of Cuir Mauresque that I ordered from The Perfumed Court based on the notes, as I'm headed off to Paris in 3 days. (After all, it is an exclusive.)

Turns out I was in for a big surprise... I thought that Kouros, Giorgio for Men, and the like were animalic, and in a good way. But this is way too animalic. And in a bad way. Cinnamon+leather+civet=the scent of the bathrooms at my college, complete with lousy air freshener, urine that didn't hit the Kohler bowl, and other assorted items. Even Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur, which some Basenoters love calling a carnal, animalic fragrance, was very tame (and pleasurable) compared to this extra-stinky beast.

To be honest, I love Ambre Sultan, Cedre, and Gris Clair, among other other Serge Lutens creations. But this one caught me completely off guard. And I'll still make a visit to Parfums Serge Lutens when I'm in Paris. But I know one scent that I will NOT be buying.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: Cuir Mauresque: OMG, they copied...

Might be you got a bad sample or something!?

I've owned a bottle of this and had several samples and none of them had a "stinky" note or any animalism to them at all. Cuir Mauresque is a warm fruited leather fragrance that doesn't have much, if any of the animalism that I find in other leather fragrances such as Aoud Cuir d' Arabie for example. You should try another sample because it doesn't smell as you describe it, imo. It's a quite nice leather if just a bit old fashioned feeling from the warm fruited opening notes. But I could not find any animal qualities to it in my bottle.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    ...But this is way too animalic. And in a bad way. Cinnamon+leather+civet=the scent of the bathrooms at my college, complete with lousy air freshener, urine that didn't hit the Kohler bowl, and other assorted items. Even Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur, which some Basenoters love calling a carnal, animalic fragrance, was very tame (and pleasurable) compared to this extra-stinky beast.....
    Unfortunately i havent smelt CM yet, but this is the kind of "endorsement" i like. This skankafficionado cant wait to buy, even blind
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hmm, I don't remember CM being all that skanky? Like Buzzlepuff said, could it be that you got a bad sample?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & RÍve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I just recently sampled it and it seemed very restrained -- floral/fruity/soapy leather. No 'bathroom' smell at all.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I just recently sampled it too, and got nothing animalic at all. What I DID get was more assurance of my growing hatred of birch tar. I just can't stand it at all.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Sorry, that can't be, because SMN's Peau D'Espagne is exactly the smell you describe, and Cuir Mauresque smells nothing like it.

Seriously, though, I don't find Cuir Mauresque very animalic. Have you smelled Knize Ten and Royal English Leather? I find CM to be a similar kind of leather to those two.

You need to try Montale Cuir d'Arabie.
    -

Interesting observations.. I know that some leather fragrances can have a bit of the sharp "urinal puck" note. Add musk, civet or ambergris to that and you might have something that reminds you of the washroom..

I've not tried CM yet.. but I'm pretty satisfied with my Prada No. 3 - Cuir Ambre lately, which does a great leather with a very satisfying amber.

Anybody familiar with both of these scents and care to make a comparison?

I have a decant of CM and it starts out very harsh. Tanners yard, then settles into a smooth soapy leather.
    I also own the PdE in extract, I just love that medical note, wish it stayed longer on the skin.
    DONNA

CM smells like Knize Ten and Gomma Etro (more or less). I find CM slightly more floral and a bit watery compared to KT.

I sent the OP a pm so as to not point fingers, but screw it...I blame TPC for this one...anyone else think it might be MKK mislabeled? I read too many mentions of people not understanding their SL samples when ordering from TPC, and I for one received a vial of Tubereuse Criminelle labeled as MKK from them.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I sent the OP a pm so as to not point fingers, but screw it...I blame TPC for this one...anyone else think it might be MKK mislabeled? I read too many mentions of people not understanding their SL samples when ordering from TPC, and I for one received a vial of Tubereuse Criminelle labeled as MKK from them.
    Yeah... that probably is the case. I also looked on the Parfums Serge Lutens website, and the juice TPC sent me was more the color of MKK than the color of Cuir Mauresque. And as the scent dried down, there was a lot of amber and musk... but no leather. So I think I might have gotten MKK, barnyard top notes and all.

Note to self: When in Paris, I might have to retest the two.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Yeah... that probably is the case. I also looked on the Parfums Serge Lutens website, and the juice TPC sent me was more the color of MKK than the color of Cuir Mauresque. And as the scent dried down, there was a lot of amber and musk... but no leather. So I think I might have gotten MKK, barnyard top notes and all.

Note to self: When in Paris, I might have to retest the two.
    That's annoying for you...but at least you're now familiar with the notorious MKK!

Definitely test CM when you're in Paris (and every other bottle they have there)...you're bound to find a few that you love.

Has anyone contaced TPC on this?

I'm mean are we sure it was a mistaken vial yet ??? Can we blame TPC quite that quickly ??? .... Or is this "miss-labelleling" something that happens frequently by TPC, by any chance ??? .... Who else has had miss labelled stuff from there ? (Go on, lets see those raised hands ??)

C.Mauresque was an orangy/golden/caramel color ? (Was it not ???) ... And was not MKK a kind of pinkish color ??? (That is what I remember at least.).

Does this make sense as to the color of jus you have now ? ... What color is it exactly ???

Or are you perhaps by any chance hyper-skank-sensitive ??? ... (I mean I don't even think Muscs Ravageur skanky or animalic at all really. So I lean to the other side, the non-skank-sensitive . I mean even MKK is not actually that skanky to me )(LOL)
    But I certainly do agree with everyone else here ... that CM is possibly one of the least skanky/animalic leathers I have come across. Fruity for sure !

And where were these notes for you ? ... Right from the get-go, as you opened the vial. Or more towards the heart, or drydown ???
    For if it was just like the very first 5 or 10 minutes only, then it started dying away. Then i suppose MKK it might be, after all. ... (How TPC mistook one for the other though is beyond me. I mean they don't even sound remotely similar ???)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 9th August 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    Does this make sense as to the color of jus you have now ? ... What color is it exactly ???
    The OP said:

I also looked on the Parfums Serge Lutens website, and the juice TPC sent me was more the color of MKK than the color of Cuir Mauresque.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    How TPC mistook one for the other though is beyond me. I mean they don't even sound remotely similar ???)
    Both are from Serge Lutens, right? So, I think the bottles would be placed closely which may cause such mistake. It'll be best to clarify it with them.

Service from TPC is excellent, so I'm sure if it was indeed mislabeled, they'd gladly replace it right away.

LOL, now I wonder how many misguided reviews are due to TPC..

I knew there was something wrong when I got a l'Artisan decant which lasted more than 8 hours with monster sillage ..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    LOL, now I wonder how many misguided reviews are due to TPC..

I knew there was something wrong when I got a l'Artisan decant which lasted more than 8 hours with monster sillage ..
    lulz...what did it end up being?