Code of Conduct

Default Going to France - what to bring back?

So a friend of mine is going to France (actually "home" to France) and he asked if there was anything he could bring back for me. Being a relative newbie, I was wondering if there's anything that's worth buying over there that you can't get over here? My mind of course thinks right away of Chanel, Dior, and the other biggies, but perhaps there are some niche frags that would be worth getting? I don't think perfume shopping is his cup of tea, so I don't want to send him running around trying to find obscure scents - it would have to be something relatively easy to find in a well-known store or even at the airport/duty free. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

Default Re: Going to France - what to bring back?

You have the Serge Lutens perfumes, Annick Goutal, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Montale, some Chanel (Les Exclusifs), some Guerlain, L'Occitane also (it is cheaper in France than here) that you'll find easier in France than here.
    I know that beauty products like the Clarins ones are extremely good and far less cheaper than here... (I bought some Clarins cream at 30 or 40 euros instead of 60 or 70 here)

and don't forget that 1 euro = 1.40 dollars

Only one suggestion from me: Fragonard. Both perfume and skincare. Unbelievable stuff I almost worship.

One name: Caron. An urn scent decanted right there in the Paris boutique!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Another one namer here: Lilamand

http://www.lilamand.com/

Sorry, OT.

Darwinia, you snatched the word out of my mouth - yes Fragonard. I was going to suggest Serge Lutens but if you have not smelt any of them before - it is going to be very difficult to decide which
    one(s) to go for - same for Caron although N'Aimez Que Moi is ever so beautiful. Highly recommend Fragonard in the extrait concentrate which is rather affordable for eg a 200 ml bottle of eau de toilette is the same price for 30 ml of parfum concentrate which comes in very light aluminium containers - with the new regulation of 1 liter of liquid per person carry on in the plane, you could easily manage at least 4 or five of these containers in the plastic bag allowed. The parfum concentrate also come in 15 mls or 60 mls (120 mls is available but over the allowance to carry in the plane). I have most of the fragrances for men and women (in parfum concentrate) and would recommend these based on your wardrobe:
    Emilie - very romantic - rose, jasmine, violet, sandalwood, amber
    Baroque - sumptious heady floral with big notes of roses, woods, vanilla and musk
    Eau Fantasque - bright cheerful grapefruit, blacurrant buds, hyacinth, freesia, amber
    Fragonard - lovely floral with jasmine, lily, honeysuckle, amber
    Arielle - if you love tuberose, this is the one together with lily of the valley, jasmine, sandalwood and amber
    Murmure - captivating oriental with rose, cinnamon, jasmine, iris, vanilla, patchouli, pepper
    Grain de Soleil - again a wonderful oriental with plenty of cinnamon, rose, jasmine, iris, incense, amber, vanilla
    There are others which I also find to be as charming and of great quality - while everyone is trying to outdo one another with expensive Guerlains, Carons and Malles, Fragonard gets overlook for the timeless quality and lovely exquisite French fragrances - do consider them. Oh, they also have solid perfumes - only selected fragrances in these but worth checking out - they usually retail in a set of six (3 gms container) for approx 25 Euros. Fragonard has a boutique near the Opera house in Paris

If it were me, I'd order samples of every non-export Serge Lutens that I could from the Perfumed Court, go on a sampling frenzy, and ask him to bring me back my favorites. But is there enough time for that?

Also, I'd consider every Chanel extrait that isn't easily available in the US. For me, Chanel No. 19. (Though I remember a recent post with a US source...)

Crayfish

Dependent

Guerlain Exclusives!!