Code of Conduct

Unhappy If Marine/Blue Scents were the trend for the 90's..Then ______ scents=The 2000's

Is it me or is anyone noticing this?

In the 90's you had the huge hits like Cool Water/Miyake/Aqua Di Gio gaining steam and during that period I can name you it seems like over 100 scents that came out in the 90's riding the band wagons of these scents....

All bland.....all wanna-be's....all just blah....and it seemed like all these pioneer scents were copied, copied, copied over and over again and it almost became sickening....if its one thing I hate its imitators and wanna-be's....I mean how about pioneering something new and unique that will be the next trend setter?

Well I am seeing this happening again....and in the same exact fashion....I mean some may think its snobbish...but I can't stand copy-cats, bandwagoneers, and wanna-be's who lack originality in their fragrance design.....

In the 2000's (particularly the past 5 years).....It started with Amen in the early 2000's (although Amen was standing alone for a while)....Then came the new Burberry London (with the brown flannel covering) and Polo Double Black.....and I really have a hard time appreciating fragrances now because after the success of these big daddy's (and a few others that have slipped my mind) it seems like every new non niche frangrance released these days is modeled and jumped on the bandwagon in this genre of scents....In the 90's is was the Freshie Fresh's.....In the 2000's I like to call them the "sweet nothings"

Now it seems like every new fragrance released is a "sweet nothing" lacking any originality....Davidoff Adventure, Gucci PH 2, Polo Explorer, Dunhill (with the Orange box),Gaultier 2, KK Signature, Hypnose, Silver Shadow, YSL.....and on and on and on we go with these fragrances...To me they all smell bland, unoriginal, and very blah....and as I had stated they are all sweet smelling unoriginal fragrances...

Does anyone else notice this? I mean maybe it is because I like fragrances that are unique...but the only fragrance I listed that I would wear and I thought was fairly unique was the new Burberry London....it had a unique something to it that was quite unlike anything else....but the rest to me are just copy cat's and the 2000's have become like the 90's.....No longer super fresh/aqua fragrances...but sweet feminine and uninspiring bandwagon fragrances...

I know this seems like just a rant...I just had to get it off my chest....not sure why my brain groups all these together in one pot and will not allow me to appreciate them individually instead of collectively...

Anyone else notice this? Any thoughts?

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: If Marine/Blue Scents were the trend for the 90's..Then ______ scents=The 2000's

Three possible answers, all of which I've heard, but none of which completely convinces me:

1. Violet leaf scents;
    2. Gourmands;
    3. Oud-based scents.

Any other rumors/ideas?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 8th August 2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: If Marine/Blue Scents were the trend for the 90's..Then ______ scents=The 2000's

It's def not Oudh Based...I love Oudhs for the most part.....You could label it gourmands....but some gourmands I like and appreciate....Animale Animale, Burberry London, Amen....(I appreciate these...although don't wear often)

Violet leaf scents...Im not honestly sure about this....I haven't been able to indentify the note individually yet...

Violet leaf and Iris seem very popular in the newer frags.
    Narciso Rodriguez
    YSL L'Homme
    Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Calvin Klein Man

I like NR, and Dior Homme alot.....so I doubt that's it...in fact Dior homme was one my favorite releases in the past 5 years....

Post Thanks / Like

A*Men and London smell quite different to me, but I suppose you could say that "sweet" is in when it comes to mens fragrances. However, it also seems to me that aquatic never went out, certainly not the way '80s "power frags" did. To me, it seems there's a big contingent of gourmands, aquatics, and light cologne-style fragrances.

There have always been fads, though, especially in fashion, so I don't think it's time to chalk it down to an international conspiracy of perfumers trying to make your Cheerios taste sour in the morning.

Niche perfumery is really no better when it comes to this, as '09 is quickly becoming Year Of The Oud to an almost comical extent.

Post Thanks / Like

It's Oud scents in the niche world, and woody amber Iso E Super scents in mainstream (as well as niche).
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

What about all the incense in everything? It must be mighty cheap to produce.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th August 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gourmands??

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure. It seems the 00's lacked identity. Not just frags, but music too IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    It's Oud scents in the niche world, and woody amber Iso E Super scents in mainstream (as well as niche).
    I 2nd this....the woody ambers have taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I 2nd this....the woody ambers have taken over.
    I think both you guys are right...all those frags that are "Blah" to me are the woody amber type scents....

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO: the return of the niche, up to the point of over-hyping the niche (although I'm neither a snob, nor a particular lover or hater of niche), almost irrespective of style, gender and occasion on
    which to be worn, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Woody Amber = cedarwood = iso e super and incense too, is in charge.

The niche goes mainstream and the mainstream producers go niche.

The ouds are coming but haven't quite arrived in full force.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with woody amber, but I would say that this designer fragrance style originated in the 1990s as well. It can be traced back to fragrances such as Burberry from 1995, Hugo, Boss Bottled, and others. This style grew up in parallel with the aquatics, so it's no surprise that its influence continued into the 2000s.

Let's not forget that the aquatic trend is still going strong in this decade, too.

The first decade of the 2000s has also seen its share of designer fragrances that have diverged from those trends, such as Dior Homme, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, and Encre Noire, to name a few, each substantially different from the others as well as from the rest of the herd. I think there is still diversity to be found this decade's fragrance spectrum if you look around enough.

The aquatics never left, did they?
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

I 4th,5th? the whole woody amber thing. These things are cyclical, it's going to take something to come along, that's different and become sucessful for anything to change.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 9th August 2009 at 12:58 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I would have said:
    1) Woody amber / Iso E Super
    2) Gourmands
    3) Incense
    4) Oud

Post Thanks / Like

What are some aquatics that have been produced in the past 2 or 3 years? Just curious, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by gekko View Post
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    What are some aquatics that have been produced in the past 2 or 3 years? Just curious, thanks...
    Perhaps that's better asked as a new thread?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I think the woody amber makes sense. Another trend of the decade: Isn't this the first decade that we have seen many fragrances that are marketed as "unisex"?
    Last edited by Haunani; 9th August 2009 at 03:15 AM.

The other thing I've noticed is the use of the words noir, noire, and black in the names of SO many recently-issued fragrances. I don't know what this means. Is darkness a cool thing? Sorta like the "style" of wearing black t-shirts and black jeans? Seems like overuse of a concept to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Celebrity scents

Exactly my thoughts Words....I am saying aquatics trend has left for the most past cause how many aquatic mainstreams have came out in the past 3 years that are of the ADG/Coolwater/Miyake genre?

Not many that I can think of...maybe 2 or 3...yet these sweet nothing "woody amber" fragrances seems like every designers that releases a fragrance as of late is in this genre......

If I go sweet I don't want to smell like a feminine male.....I want something sweet yet still has balls...Zino by Davidoff perhaps.....

I hope oudhs don't go mainstream...I always liked wearing ouds and the questions people would ask about them....they were unique and no one wore them...that would really suck if oudhs went mainstream like Aquatics did....next thing you know every fresh boy straight out of Abercrombie is wearing the latest release by them "Fiercoud" *rolls eyes*
    Last edited by Pugsley_f5; 9th August 2009 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley_f5 View Post
    Exactly my thoughts Words....I am saying aquatics trend has left for the most past cause how many aquatic mainstreams have came out in the past 3 years that are of the ADG/Coolwater/Miyake genre?

Not many that I can think of...maybe 2 or 3...yet these sweet nothing "woody amber" fragrances seems like every designers that releases a fragrance as of late is in this genre......

If I go sweet I don't want to smell like a feminine male.....I want something sweet yet still has balls...Zino by Davidoff perhaps.....

I hope oudhs don't go mainstream...I always liked wearing ouds and the questions people would ask about them....they were unique and no one wore them...that would really suck if oudhs went mainstream like Aquatics did....next thing you know every fresh boy straight out of Abercrombie is wearing the latest release by them "Fiercoud" *rolls eyes*
    I agree, Aquatics have certainly slown down. You'll have the Summer Editions that are quite popular nowadays, but over the past few years there has been a major decline in the amount of Aquatic scents.

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Celebrity scents
    I agree, especially when it comes to majority of the mass market, IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid complaining about the "ambery woods" is kinda useless. ... I mean "woods" have been around for decades, it aint exactly a "new trend" or anything like that. ... And I can almost guarantee that "woods" in men's scents will probably never go away ! ... I mean there are very few fragrances that don't use some or other type of wood as a "staple" base structure ! ... It's almost a necessity for a classic fragrance "structure" ! ... (I mean of course there are ways around it, and there are woodless scents !) ... But I really cannot see men's fragrances loosing the "wood" completely anytime soon !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 9th August 2009 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlgari Aqua PH Marine
    Chrome Legend
    Azzaro Aqua
    212 Men Splash
    Aqua Mat Homme
    Boss Pure
    Nautica Oceans
    Cool Water Freeze Me
    Hugo Element
    Izod
    Porsche Design Essence
    Cool Water Cool Summer
    Hugo XY
    Versace PH
    Cool Water Happy Summer
    Gendarme Sky
    Graphite Blue
    Nautica Island Voyage
    Kouros Tattoo Edition
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense
    Puma Aqua Man
    Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude
    Lanvin L'Homme Sport

Although I see where your coming from KMF...I dont really consider alot of those in the Coolwater/ADG/Miyake Genre....alot of those are the bland freshie types...

Post Thanks / Like

I mean the thing that brought the whole ozonic/aquatics trend was the discovery/creation, back then, of Calone. That suddenly made the whole thing possible in the first place.

I think for the next such trend of the same magnitude to happen again. There is going to have to be
    some other, as of yet undiscovered, "something" scent, from some or other lab. ... To start a whole new ball rolling !

Stratospheric scents anyone ??? ... ( Astrospheric ??? ... The scent of the stars ! )

I mean it's gonna have to be something really "out of this world" ... For we have pretty much the technology to do so, and have probably already reproduced pretty much any scent on earth, as is ! ...
    I mean where does one go nowadays to find something actually "new" ???
    We just gonna have to start making them up altogether, so they don't actually smell like reproductions of anything else, but rather of something we don't know. (Totally made up scents ! ... And start composing scents with these) ... (And even that aint exactly novel !)
    I mean at the moment the majority of the scents we produce, are made up of scents of stuff we recognise and mimic ! ("Mother Nature" basically!)... I'm pretty sure it's gonna start moving away from this. (It's the only direction left for inovation really !)

Post Thanks / Like

Although I see where your coming from KMF...I dont really consider alot of those in the Coolwater/ADG/Miyake Genre....alot of those are the bland freshie types...
    Sorry but I don't really see much difference between those two. ... I think we can pretty much lump the "aquatics" with the "ozonics" , no ??? ... They all "bland freshie type" ! (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 9th August 2009 at 06:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bvlgari Aqua PH Marine
    Chrome Legend
    Azzaro Aqua
    212 Men Splash
    Aqua Mat Homme
    Boss Pure
    Nautica Oceans
    Cool Water Freeze Me
    Hugo Element
    Izod
    Porsche Design Essence
    Cool Water Cool Summer
    Hugo XY
    Versace PH
    Cool Water Happy Summer
    Gendarme Sky
    Graphite Blue
    Nautica Island Voyage
    Kouros Tattoo Edition
    L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense
    Puma Aqua Man
    Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude
    Lanvin L'Homme Sport
    Actually, that's a pretty small sample size when you take into consideration how many fragrances are produced each year. I'm sure the list of Orientals could blow that list away.

BTW, Sky and L'Homme Sport are not aquatics of any kind. Havent tried any of the rest.

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, that's a pretty small sample size when you take into consideration how many fragrances are produced each year. I'm sure the list of Orientals could blow that list away.

BTW, Sky and L'Homme Sport are not aquatics of any kind. Havent tried any of the rest.

That was just a quick search, I'm sure there are plenty more if I took the time to find them. Anyway, the point is that plenty of these get churned out every year...

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, they are the same thing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oud-based scents
    Gourmands
    Tom Ford scents
    Bland scents
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

I would say "black" came after "blue."

However, in reality, if you base it on popularity, then IMO aquatics never left. The fresh, clean type is still the most popular. Although I think there may be a shift tworard fresh woody/ambry.

Violet leaf and iris, however, were more pronounced everywhere. Coffee and mocha notes still pop up too. These were present in many "Black" scents. Not that the mainstream customer goes for those scents searching for the notes.

I don't think incense, oud, and saffron count as trends in the main market. It's a different matter when a relatively smaller group of aficionados use them. Most people don't even know what oud is but they know what "blue" and "black" are!

Also, the fact that Versace Homme includes agarwood doesn't make agarwood/oud mainstream. Most people who use that fragrance don't do it because of the oudh. They do it because it's still clean and fresh--and that it's "VERSACE!"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the time frames for trend cycles are speeding up. The 90's didn't have nearly the fragrance frenzy that we have going on now. Maybe the proliferation is caused by the internet and access to so many niche varieties. But the variety of new fragrances are growing each year.

Is it an ovesimplification to think there will be one big overriding trend for the whole decade? In the decade of the 2000's there will probably be 4 or 5 big trends. So possibly the biggest trend of the 2000's is the proliferation of new trends. So far I've seen these as emerging trends in fragrances.

2000/02 - incense/tea
    2002/04 - roses
    2004/06 - woody amber/ iso e super
    2006/08 - gourmand (booze, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, tea)
    2008/10 - oud woods or pine??? I don't think oud has really gotten off the ground yet as a trend.

I think there will be lots of trends happening in the 2000's.

Post Thanks / Like

That was just a quick search, I'm sure there are plenty more if I took the time to find them. Anyway, the point is that plenty of these get churned out every year...
    Well, my point is that the "search" (not sure what your criteria was) was inaccurate, because the only 2 I've tried on that list were not aquatics. And my second point is, which is what we were talking about, there arent near as many nowadays as there were in the 90's.

And those of you saying that Aquatics and Fresh scents are the same thing... you consider Gendarme an aquatic? How ridiculous is that.

Spring Top 10

1) Platinum Egoiste
    2) CK Truth
    3) Light Blue (Women's)
    4) Dolce & Gabbana PH
    5) Image
    6) Gendarme Mojo
    7) Artisan Black
    8) Mat; Male
    9) Live Jazz
    10) Sentiment

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the fresh/ aquatic trend, the gourmand trend, the woody amber trend, the celebrity marketing trend... the one trend no-one has mentioned is the "ran by accountants and marketing departments " trend.

The later trend encompasess things like re released classic names that we "had a trademark over and there might still be some cachet left in it" (think Scandal), "we dumbed it down to make it cheaper to build and there's that many bland scents out there that this would spook away customers anyway" ... yah, that's you YSL, or "make it about topnotes... if it smells good in the first 60 seconds they'll buy it. As long as it doesn't smell bad after that, who cares???".

Doesn't matter anyway. The issue is never yesterdays trend.. the only trend that matters is the next one... get there firstest with the mostest and you can have a fair old whack of the $4 billion on offer for fragrance companies next year. And so I look into my crystal ball and see:
    Celebrity seasonal collections - brace yourself, it's coming.
    Back to the future - there will be a retro/ vintage trend in the next five years.

Middle to longer term:
    Made in China - or elsewhere. Those EU regulations are going to push the niche parfumers out of the developed world. And I for one will back them all the way. When I buy Mitsouko I want it to smell like Mitsouko... and that needs oakmoss. Citrus absolutes etc etc

My $0.02
    Last edited by John.G; 22nd June 2010 at 10:36 PM.

I can´t believe nobody has mentioned the Sport-flankers yet!

I understand the frustration, but I still like some of those sweet nothings.

IMO, the 2000s are all about being inoffensive. No matter if it´s black, sport, intense, summer: you will never offend somebody, because no matter what you´re wearing, others mostly won´t even realise that you´re wearing a fragrance at all.
    Last edited by dannyboy; 22nd June 2010 at 11:07 PM.

I think the 00's took the Aquatic theme and added more woods to it. I mean, would I be too left field to consider something like DKNY Men or A&F Fierce (extra) woody aquatics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Is it an ovesimplification to think there will be one big overriding trend for the whole decade? In the decade of the 2000's there will probably be 4 or 5 big trends. So possibly the biggest trend of the 2000's is the proliferation of new trends. So far I've seen these as emerging trends in fragrances.

2000/02 - incense/tea
    2002/04 - roses
    2004/06 - woody amber/ iso e super
    2006/08 - gourmand (booze, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, tea)
    2008/10 - oud woods or pine??? I don't think oud has really gotten off the ground yet as a trend.

I think there will be lots of trends happening in the 2000's.
    Agreed! Fantastic list
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

so is oud in full swing now 2010?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    I can´t believe nobody has mentioned the Sport-flankers yet!.
    I think Dannyboy's right about sport-flankers, but actually the 2000's were notable for the multiplication of ALL kinds of flankers, particularly "summer" editions with meaningless names like "Fragrance name summer butterflies 2009" . Nowadays even established fragrances like YSL's Paris and Lancôme's Trésor have all these summer editions and limited editions and it's just gotten out of control. When they release that many limited-edition flankers to classic fragrances, just how much time are they spending re-tweaking the notes? And why would anyone want to buy a limited-edition that can't be replaced?