Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme Cologne vs. Dior Homme Sport

So, I'm wearing a sample of Dior Homme Cologne right now for the very first time, and while it's good (I'll get to that in a second), I can't help but wonder what the purpose of Dior Homme Sport is. I understand Dior Homme Sport was most likely released purely for it's profitability, but why wasn't the formula for Dior Homme Cologne used for Dior Homme Sport. I'm sorry I just don't understand the need for both. I've only briefly sampled DHS, but I remembered it bearing very little similarities with DH. Now Dior Homme Cologne, to me at least, would make complete sense if it was called Dior Homme Sport instead. It's a lighter, fresher, brighter version of the original. DHC isn't even that widely available (at least in the US). I guess I'm just ranting at this point but it seems to me as too many unnecessary flankers when DHC would have worked perfectly as the "sport" version as opposed to the current DHS.

PS. I like the Dior Homme Cologne 10x more than the regular Dior Homme. It's not sickly sweet or powdery anymore and I find it so much more wearable.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 8th August 2009 at 11:22 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Dior Homme Cologne vs. Dior Homme Sport

You are right. Sometimes these flankers just look like a pathetic profit generating excuse. When its done properly its tolerable and even good. But most of the time its just another excuse to make some money out of us consumers.

I own DHS and i only wore it a few times. Its very suitable for Malaysian weather but the ginger note in it is too dominant. I don't know why but it can get really cloying sometimes. Longevity is quite disappointing too.

Maybe DHC didn't do as well as expected so they churned out DHS. But i do suspect they were trying to compete with Chanel's Allure line. I only tried DHC once so i can't judge if its better than Dior Homme.

Because of this thread, I gave Dior Homme Sport a sampling at Sephora today. Its okay, not nearly as startling as Dior Homme ( which was startling in a good way). The ginger note, as Jonny4 mentions, is quite dominant in DHS. I could live with wearing it on hot days, but its not a cheap fragrance and for something I am so apathetic towards I should get a full bottle.

I have not tried Dior Homme Cologne, but my local fragrance shop does sell this one. I cannot test it, but it seems interesting. The only issue I have with this is that because it is a "Cologne", and me being a longevity sell-out that I am, I would not be satisfied with a bottle of it.

By the way, I find Kenzo Power to be a nice alternative to Dior Homme.

I find Dior Homme very much to my tastes, one of the few floral-leather frags I can handle. I'd like to try the Cologne if it is consistent with the original.

Dior Homme Sport was underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Because of this thread, I gave Dior Homme Sport a sampling at Sephora today. Its okay, not nearly as startling as Dior Homme ( which was startling in a good way). The ginger note, as Jonny4 mentions, is quite dominant in DHS. I could live with wearing it on hot days, but its not a cheap fragrance and for something I am so apathetic towards I should get a full bottle.

I have not tried Dior Homme Cologne, but my local fragrance shop does sell this one. I cannot test it, but it seems interesting. The only issue I have with this is that because it is a "Cologne", and me being a longevity sell-out that I am, I would not be satisfied with a bottle of it.

By the way, I find Kenzo Power to be a nice alternative to Dior Homme.
    Surfacing, do try DHC. I find it longevity AND sillage both above average. I'm really loving it right now, IMO sooooo much better than DH. It's the same DH made fresher with added citrus. Just very beautiful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Sur la Plage

I really like Dior Homme Cologne. It's a very nice fresher take on the original. I have no problems with sillage or longevity. I personally don't think it is better then Dior Homme, just different. It kind of reminds me of Fleur du Male and La Cologne Fleur du Male.

Dior Homme Sport I found rather bland, boring and generic - so I am sure it will be a big seller.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have all 3 and believe all 3 have their subtle differences

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Surfacing, do try DHC. I find it longevity AND sillage both above average. I'm really loving it right now, IMO sooooo much better than DH. It's the same DH made fresher with added citrus. Just very beautiful.
    Be careful, you're gonna make me want to buy this blind . I was concerned about longevity, so problem solved. My boss at work has Dior Homme as his signature fragrance, so I would have to be careful where to wear DHC .

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Dior Homme Sport I found rather bland, boring and generic - so I am sure it will be a big seller.
    Yes, but DHS will get you more attention from women

Oh Surfacing, just to add to that temptation, I just found out of from a friend and fellow BNer that DHC, confusingly enough, is NOT an EDC but an EDT.

The purpose of Dior Homme Sport is to "cater to the masses/$$$" and "phone it in" (on the perfumers part).
    -

Oh Surfacing, just to add to that temptation, I just found out of from a friend and fellow BNer that DHC, confusingly enough, is NOT an EDC but an EDT.
    I think they meant "Cologne" in the formula sense, rather than the concentration. I happen to prefer the Cologne version too...I wish the iris was more prominent, but overall I find it more wearable than the original.

The Sport version...well...I've yet to find any bottle with the word "sport" on it that captured me.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    The purpose of Dior Homme Sport is to "cater to the masses/$$$" and "phone it in" (on the perfumers part).
    No, I understand the purpose, but IMO DHC would work just fine if they had slapped the word Sport on the end of it and released it for the same purpose. It certainly has more to do with the original then DHS does.

5-star for Dior Homme, but hated, absolutely hated DHS. It's the damn ginger.

Haven't tried DHC, but it might be a version that's good for like a languid summer afternoon?
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post

Yes, but DHS will get you more attention from women
    Now if it will get me more attention from men, I may be able to suffer through wearing it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

smeller

Have not tried DHC, but DHS is something you may skip without any regrets.

All of you guys that haven't tried DHC please do if you get the chance. The more I smell it the more I find it simply brilliant. How they've managed to retain but tone down the iris and leather and juxtapose it with this incredibly bright citrus, it's amazing. Completely wearable and it straddles a few genres beautifully so it's appropriate for many situations.

All of you guys that haven't tried DHC please do if you get the chance. The more I smell it the more I find it simply brilliant. How they've managed to retain but tone down the iris and leather and juxtapose it with this incredibly bright citrus, it's amazing. Completely wearable and it straddles a few genres beautifully so it's appropriate for many situations.
    I agree. I have both the Cologne and the original Dior Homme, and far prefer the Cologne. It's a bit toned down with some of the gourmand and powdery aspects and amped up in bergamot, neroli and orange blossom. It's also worth pointing out (because people see the word "citrus" and might assume that Cologne has gone all Acqua di Gio, which it hasn't) that the citrus used in this is not your over the top, calone reinforced chemical mess-- it's actually kind of a soft, floral "old world" citrus that weaves itself into the lavender and iris, giving the scent a crisper, slightly more masculine feeling over all.

The first time I sprayed Dior Homme Cologne I thought it was too close to the original, but then I was amazed at how the subtle differences made it worlds better. The original Dior Homme was great but flawed-- just enough of a fussy snaggletooth in some ways that it never made the rotation. The Cologne on the other hand is something I can wear anytime.

mtgprox05, I'll heed your suggestion and try DHC this weekend. Your praise for DHC has made me very curios about DHC and I think it warrants another testing, this time on skin.

I like all three versions of Dior Homme . They complement each other nicely.