Code of Conduct

Default Why we love fragrances

This question is so basic, but is one we take for granted because we're enthusiasts: why do we love perfume? What is it that makes this for you more than just a casual or passing interest?

For me, it's twofold. First, wearing a good fragrance is something that I can enjoy and savor all day long, uninterrupted, and privately (assuming I don't douse myself). I have other interests as well, such as music, cars and food, but I can't enjoy those things while I'm at work, or doing more responsible things. On the other hand, I can enjoy a good scent continuously, any time I want to, so it's hard to not be an enthusiast. Secondly, because I have a very stressful job, wearing a cologne that I love keeps me relatively calm all day and puts my mind at ease. I hate the term "aromatherapy", but a good scent accomplishes the purposes of aromatherapy for me during the day. It just makes me feel great, plain and simple.

Recently the scent that's been meeting all my fragrance needs and makes me feel great is Giorgio For Men. It's scents like this that keep me an enthusiast.

What about you?

Default Re: Why we love fragrances

Its like a told a fume friend last week , you can look like crap , feel like crap , but smell great

I think that I personally love perfume especially due to a certain style they bestow upon me, since, whenever I wear a perfume, I also take up a an attitude, a certain mood, an inspiration and countless thoughts and ideas.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 9th August 2009 at 06:05 PM.

I never cared much, it just happened! I can't explain it. All of a sudden this nice scents, bottles. I don't know, makes me feel good, regal, boosts my mojo and ego...no words to describe it.

1. I like to smell good things, and perfumes are one thing that smell good by design
    2. Vain reasons like image, style, sex appeal, and collecting frags
    3. Trying and studying frags is a learning process
    4. Communicating with basenoters and sharing the joy of scent with others in my life
    5. Keeps my shopping focused so I don't buy things I won't use. I will use the frags or someone will
    6. Maybe my smelling so good will brighten someone else's day- ya never know!
    7. I want to find out what my classmates are wearing so I can smell different and feel special (also vain)
    8. Sometimes the best frags make me high
    9. i like being so passionate about something even if most people I know don't get it
    10. By now you could say I'm addicted!!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

I keep trying to fill a deep empty void in my life by becoming temporarily obsessed with some things (usually expensvie stuff) . Has gone from movies, to music, to cars, to clothes, now cologne. All are still major parts of me but most are on the backburner so to speak.

Why do I love fragrances....because its like picking sweets from a big candy shop but for grown ups
    and of course because you smell great and unique and this is the most important fact.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 10th August 2009 at 01:23 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Because as someone pointed out above, it's a private portable enjoyment. Even if you have a beautiful Raphael painting at home, you can only enjoy it at home. But a good perfume with great longevity and decent sillage you can enjoy all day, even at work. I like to surround myself with some form of beauty - hence the perfume passion.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I keep trying to fill a deep empty void in my life by becoming temporarily obsessed with some things (usually expensvie stuff) . Has gone from movies, to music, to cars, to clothes, now cologne. All are still major parts of me but most are on the backburner so to speak.
    Wow, my life is eerily similar.

Sur la Plage

They make ME feel happy - and that is all that matters.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 10th August 2009 at 03:01 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I love them for the way they smell (at least the ones in my wardrobe), and I love the way they make me feel when I wear them...

I just really enjoy pleasant smells. Always have. As a kid I was obsessed with Lip Smackers/other flavored lip balms- not for the moisturizing benefits, not for the taste (was never one of those kids that ate lip gloss ), but for the smell- then scratch n' sniff stickers, then scented pencils and markers, and air fresheners/oils...and on and on. Once I caught on to perfume- good smells that you can actually apply to your person, and enjoy everywhere you went, all day? I was hooked.

I love the way they smell on me and so does my wife

AromiErotici

It is aromatherapy for me. If I'm having a bad day or just worn out from a tough day, I shower and apply a different scent. It's like starting a new page and changes my outlook.

Being scented-up helps me sleep as well. Nothing quite like smelling really good.

Me too!

I also like to think of it in this way and I've yet to hear someone else say this:

You have 5 senses. Touch, Sight, Taste, Hearing, and Smell.

Each of these senses has, over time, had many works of art that are made specifically to please that particular sense. For example with touch, there are ergonomics, furniture, massages, and so on (this is the weakest example). With sight we have filled thousands of museums with artwork to please our vision. For taste, we have developed distinct cuisine and created wonderful restaurants. With hearing we have created music of every sort. With smell, we have created fragrance, or perhaps captured fragrance.

It is as simple as that. In keeping with my general hedonism for life, I indulge a brilliant fragrance with a similar devotion, and excitement that I would when hearing a brilliant new album or buying a visually stunning piece of art or tasting a wonderful meal.

Indulge your senses.

Dependent

I feel good wearing a scent that I find desirable, I'm not too analytical about it.

Edit: There is a scent or 2 which I have bonded with purely for sentimental reasons.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th August 2009 at 05:04 AM.

Very candid. I think this applies to a lot of people.

+1

They evoke all sorts of emotions and energies from me. I love when a fragrance somehow triggers a bright, cheerful nostalgia in me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I think that I personally love perfume especially due to a certain style they bestow upon me, since, whenever I wear a perfume, I also take up a an attitude, a certain mood, an inspiration and countless thoughts and ideas.

It is a reflection of the inner self.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

John Keats said it best: because

" 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,' — that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th August 2009 at 06:03 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I really don't know why. My love for scents is a feeling I can't explain.

Too many reasons all summed up in, fragrances really wake me up to something and make me balance the moment, the past, the ideal, and the real through some use of the brain.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Its the continuing quest for that supreme scent that hopefully will enshroud me in ecstasy and transcend the mundane world around me by enveloping me in a new dimension of bliss that I love so much....not to sound too much like Star Trek...BUT....it's ' my continuing mission, to explore strange new scents, seek out new fragrances, new perfumes, to boldly smell what no one has smelled before’…;-D not too dramatic...am I?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Its the continuing quest for that supreme scent that hopefully will enshroud me in ecstasy and transcend the mundane world around me by enveloping me in a new dimension of bliss that I love so much....not to sound too much like Star Trek...BUT....it's ' my continuing mission, to explore strange new scents, seek out new fragrances, new perfumes, to boldly smell what no one has smelled before’…;-D not too dramatic...am I?
    Basically looking for the holy grail?

Thumbs up Re: Why we love fragrances

Because we are Artists ( perfume for me is an art, like painting or music or any other kind of art ), we are sensitive persons, we are very good persons and we like to smell good !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

3 Reasons:

1. It feels good when I smell great, esp. with my favorite frag.
    2. It is fulfilling when others around me feels invigorated or enlightened with my scent
    3. To make my wife cuddle with me more. Not that she doesn't, but she knows how to appreciate the fragrance i am wearing

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It is aromatherapy for me. ...Nothing quite like smelling really good.
    End of story!

Fragrances delight my soul!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

What Chris and Roberto said. My own language for it would have to do with helping me to stay focused, alive to my senses. Helps control anxiety, actually, and helps me feel awake and happy. I'm really grateful for frags, and it's nice to feel that they don't have to be expensive or particular to do me a lot of good.

Fragrances make my life a little less mundane and boring.

Fragrances help keep the smell of B.O at bay

Fragrances attract the attention of other people around me.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Because as someone pointed out above, it's a private portable enjoyment. Even if you have a beautiful Raphael painting at home, you can only enjoy it at home. But a good perfume with great longevity and decent sillage you can enjoy all day, even at work. I like to surround myself with some form of beauty - hence the perfume passion.
    +1
    !!:wave:

I love the people and the things in life that make me happy, and perfume is definitely one of them.

Oh, and because sometimes perfumes also act like "a movie for your nose" as well.
    Last edited by moltening; 10th August 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Man, I can relate to this! I've jumped from one obsession to the next in varying degrees. Fragrances have joined this long obsessive train in my life.

I do gather much pleasure in wearing fragrances as well as sampling and collecting the ones I love or have learned to love. To smell good is certainly an olfactory extention of my personality. It is nice to have something that stands out from the rest as well. It is always nice to recieve compliments, but that is certainly not the primary reason why I love to wear frags.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I like wearing fragrances! They're fun and brighten my day. It's something enjoyable I can take anywhere - into class, work, etc. No deep psychological reasons. I just love walking over to my frag cabinet and picking out what I want to wear today, sniffing the bottles, looking at the bottles, etc, etc. The other part is that it's a natural extension of caring about what I look like. I'll never leave the house without showering, and I always throw on "proper" clothes before going anywhere, take care of my skin and body, etc. Fragrance is another level on top of all that.
    Last edited by Royal; 10th August 2009 at 08:44 PM.

I've covered this ground elsewhere in this post: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...4&postcount=15

The post I reference from the_good_life pretty much says it all: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...64&postcount=4

I love looking after myself part of which includes perfume. Fragrance helps me live the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post

Really well said! Wearing a good fragrance is better than carrying an iPod some days! Portable, reassuring, and enticing all at the same time. I can't think of many other things that bring such satisfaction.