Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Why we love fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Because as someone pointed out above, it's a private portable enjoyment. Even if you have a beautiful Raphael painting at home, you can only enjoy it at home. But a good perfume with great longevity and decent sillage you can enjoy all day, even at work. I like to surround myself with some form of beauty - hence the perfume passion.
    +1
    !!:wave:

Molten Gin

I love the people and the things in life that make me happy, and perfume is definitely one of them.

Oh, and because sometimes perfumes also act like "a movie for your nose" as well.
    Last edited by moltening; 10th August 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    I keep trying to fill a deep empty void in my life by becoming temporarily obsessed with some things (usually expensvie stuff) . Has gone from movies, to music, to cars, to clothes, now cologne. All are still major parts of me but most are on the backburner so to speak.
    Man, I can relate to this! I've jumped from one obsession to the next in varying degrees. Fragrances have joined this long obsessive train in my life.

I do gather much pleasure in wearing fragrances as well as sampling and collecting the ones I love or have learned to love. To smell good is certainly an olfactory extention of my personality. It is nice to have something that stands out from the rest as well. It is always nice to recieve compliments, but that is certainly not the primary reason why I love to wear frags.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

I like wearing fragrances! They're fun and brighten my day. It's something enjoyable I can take anywhere - into class, work, etc. No deep psychological reasons. I just love walking over to my frag cabinet and picking out what I want to wear today, sniffing the bottles, looking at the bottles, etc, etc. The other part is that it's a natural extension of caring about what I look like. I'll never leave the house without showering, and I always throw on "proper" clothes before going anywhere, take care of my skin and body, etc. Fragrance is another level on top of all that.
    Last edited by Royal; 10th August 2009 at 08:44 PM.

I've covered this ground elsewhere in this post: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...4&postcount=15

The post I reference from the_good_life pretty much says it all: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...64&postcount=4

I love looking after myself part of which includes perfume. Fragrance helps me live the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    Because as someone pointed out above, it's a private portable enjoyment. Even if you have a beautiful Raphael painting at home, you can only enjoy it at home. But a good perfume with great longevity and decent sillage you can enjoy all day, even at work. I like to surround myself with some form of beauty - hence the perfume passion.

Really well said! Wearing a good fragrance is better than carrying an iPod some days! Portable, reassuring, and enticing all at the same time. I can't think of many other things that bring such satisfaction.