Code of Conduct
    smeller

Default Another Dior Homme thread

My problem with DH edt is that, no matter how much I have learned that perfume have no gender or age, to me it smells like it's best suited to a twenty-something, probably metrosexual.

As a 30-something white-pale guy, slightly out of shape (gonna solve that part, I hope), hairy chested, with a formal job, and not metrosexual at all, I feel much more at home with more traditional/average male scents (just to remain with the Dior line, I could mention Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit).

It smells ok, just don't seem to match to me.

So, do anybody share the same feeling on this specific frag? Should I see it on another perspective?

Default Re: Another Dior Homme thread

Oh i'm in the same boat. I've been on the fence for a long time on this one. Some aspects of the frag I love, such as the overall "coolness". Perceived temperature of a frag is a big deal to me, and this one hits a sweet spot that no other has. On the other hand, it's a smidge too gourmand with the chocolate note and becomes cloying sometimes. It just isn't "me", yet.

Having purchased a 50ml bottle from a fellow member recently i've had a chance to spend more time with Dior Homme. My conclusion so far? It doesn't work in the heat. I'm reserving my final judgment for cooler weather.

Dior Homme won't be the only cologne that wouldn't "seem right" for the guy you described. He could have similar problems with A*Men or Opium pour Homme. So, no big deal. Not every scent "suits" everyone. Therefore the great variety! If you can't ban the "metrosexual" association from your minds - just don't wear it. (Although I think a certain "clash" between the way one looks and the way one smells could be something exciting. I for myself are the complete opposite of that M7-man, however a then-close-female-friend gave me intense compliments.)

(I get a nice drydown from Dior Homme which isn't in the veins I'd call "metrosexual". I get a sensual and profound accord involving leather. It's masculine in a modern way.)

At least you didn't accuse DH of being feminine. Or did you?
    After a very brief internal struggle regarding whether I was the right social fit for DH, I just said "to hell with it, this smells GREAT!" So here I am, a 50-something professional, non-metrosexual (never had sex in a metro?), but a huge DH fan. I just go light on the spritzer when I wear it to work and slather it on at home.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 9th August 2009 at 11:24 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

smeller

DocmanCC: here it's winter, I did a small spray in my arm today, and it's not helping either...

DesGrieux: Yes, I react the same way to A Men and Opium PH, and can't stand Le Male.

Dior Homme seemed to be a classical of bigger stature, so at first I got disappointed because I felt I couldn't wear it properly, like the "I'm getting old" feeling...

I also see your point with M7, I was also complimented with it, to my surprise. And I still have a few exotic gourmands in the back of my wardrobe, like Body Kouros, just in case I happen to need it in an odd event. Only that Dior Homme may be too tamed for the same "bad" purposes.

smeller

Well Snafoo, to be honest, I'm a bit divided about it being more on the feminine side also, although I can imagine a man wearing it very well if he's brave and self-assured enough.

The longevity and strange sweetness put me off here, I believe it stems from my own dislike of smelling like chocolate, with the heavy cocoa note in DH. I do love iris though, Prada Infusion d'Homme is gorgeous.

I have had scents that I love but just aren't me, but usually after wearing them a while they become me and I can enjoy them. Rose de Nuit has so much personality it almost demanded that I be some larger than life character, which I'm very much not, but after wearing it a while I realize that it's just a soup of aromachemicals after all, and I enjoyed it for what it fundamentally was - a nice smell.

As for Dior Homme, it just bored me. It's as stylish and metro as Velveeta.

I like it, but I find it too sweet and femenine. I like its powdery as well as the leather notes, but it is too cloying. Besides, its longevity ends up being an issue.

After trying Dior Homme Cologne, I thought it would be better suited for me. I researched old threats about this version and many agree it is better than the EdT. This is something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    Well Snafoo, to be honest, I'm a bit divided about it being more on the feminine side also, although I can imagine a man wearing it very well if he's brave and self-assured enough.
    You can get 50 replies telling you you're crazy, but ultimately you are the one wearing it. Fragrance is no different than anything else you might wear in the sense that you have to have confidence wearing it. If you are wearing a funky shirt or a wild pair of shoes that you are unsure of, then it reflects on your demeanor when you are in public... Fragrance is no different. You might be "wrong" on the masculine / feminine thing, but you are perfectly within your rights (and probably better off) to go with something that will leave you with a better frame of mind...

Quite simply, if you enjoy it, it's for you.

I don't subscribe to the notion that certain kinds of fragrances are only for people with certain characteristics. It's like saying you should never eat lobster or quiche because you look like the kind of person who would be eating a bowl of chili in the stained booth of a greasy spoon diner. Nonsense.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Dependent

Like most have said, you know what you enjoy and don't, which is a very good thing! It is true that feminine scents should not be exclusive to ladies, but they are also NOT meant to worn by men who do not enjoy them. So you are definitely not off track. Btw, I get bored with Dior Homme as well.

As someone pointed out above, the question is whether you have the confidence to pull off whatever scent it is you're wearing? To test the limits of what I can wear, I have worn EL's Beyond Paradise (for women) - a tropical white-flower floral that no way in hell anyone in BN would mistake that as being "marketed as masculine." But I wore it confidently anyway, so it works for me.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post

So, do anybody share the same feeling on this specific frag? Should I see it on another perspective?
    You don't have to try too hard to look at Dior Homme from another perspective. It doesn't matter if the whole world says that you should be able to wear it. If you are not comfortable wearing it, leave it and move on.

I know the feeling particularly if a fragrance is a very popular one on the board and when it doesn't work for you. You keep pushing hard to be able to see what others are seeing and that you think, that you are unable to...No point doing it...Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesn't....No pressure....

I known lots of non-metrosexual guys and way beyond the average age of the generic
    Dior Homme-consumer, which started to discover and even enjoy this fragrance lately.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    You don't have to try too hard to look at Dior Homme from another perspective. It doesn't matter if the whole world says that you should be able to wear it. If you are not comfortable wearing it, leave it and move on.

I know the feeling particularly if a fragrance is a very popular one on the board and when it doesn't work for you. You keep pushing hard to be able to see what others are seeing and that you think, that you are unable to...No point doing it...Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesn't....No pressure....
    Like Gupts say... if you follow things because it gets a lot of love on BN, that means you're committing a cardinal perfumista of following the crowd instead of following yournose!

I liked DH because my nose loved it, not because a lot of BNers do. I found the DH before I found BN. Creed and Serge Lutens get a lot of love in BN, but even the most popular Creeds still leaves me unimpressed. I've tried to like the Annick Goutals or Acqua di Parmas, but doesn't work.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

smeller ..
    Its not resonating with you , so don't persevere with it ..
    I tried it & found ...... too sweet & lady like ... (( its as stylish as a snoby poodle ))
    Get some ruggedness onto you , try Kouros - Versace L'Homme - Pinauds Special Reserve - Montana Red or any of the 100's of other hard edged frags ...try try try

smeller

Great to see that many comments are sympathetic with my view, although I highly respect those who suggest the opposite.

I believe that Dior Homme, as an work of art, is remarkable, and is one of the best recent releases marketed for men. But to each is own, I don't fear being called homophobic just because I think strong flower scents (Dior Homme probably doesn't go that far) are best suitable for women. Yes, it's a cultural issue... like wearing earrings (many men wear it, good for them, but most wouldn't).

Let your attitude and personality define the range of your frags, not whatever marketing or rep the scent has. If a 20-something year old can wear old spice without people calling him old-man, its because he doesnt act in such a way or project the image, same goes with an older man wearing something like Versace Eau Fraiche or Ed Hardy.

If you dont feel right wearing it, its not going to work.

Dior Homme is quite the crowd pleaser for me. Unlike the ginger dominated Dior Homme Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    So here I am, a 50-something professional, non-metrosexual (never had sex in a metro?), but a huge DH fan.
    How about with a metro?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.