Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff - Summer Fun - August

I'll hint a little more in that, if you're a saint, you might be rewarded with the sensorial pleasures to be experienced at a vacation spot like this:
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Tee-hee, must paddle Asha toward the right isle with melody and drink.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Tee-hee, must paddle Asha toward the right isle with melody and drink.
    Absolutely.

It isn't a Tommy Bahama scent but...

... along those lines...

... there might be another house...

A is CALYPSO MIMOSA - Calypso St Barth - Christiane Celle

The exotic destination as described on her website: “soft fragrance that reminds the perfumed breeze of the French Riviera when the hills are covered with yellow Mimosas.”

A team effort with Haunani guessing the answer. Thanks to Somerville Metro Man for playing along at home.

I hope you all enjoyed the trip.

Next up B

Oh, geez, I was even thinking of Bobby McFarrin Still, I never heard of this house, so I am sure I'd still be shooting in the dark with my guesses!

Well done Hanauni!
    Last edited by Asha; 16th August 2009 at 01:14 AM.

I hadn't heard of it either. It was a blind buy based on the description. I like it! This was her first fragrance she has others some of which I may have to buy or at least sample.

Nothing like hosting a 3x3 to give one excuses to buy smellies.

My initial impressions on Sample B...

Notes:
    Bergamot
    conifer such as pine, cypress or juniper
    cumin
    cardamom
    sandalwood
    agarwood
    frankincense
    vetiver
    amber/labdanum/cistus
    vanilla
    benzoin
    patchouli
    Unisex or masculine oriental
    EDP
    Niche house
    Contemporary release
    Golden colored juice

I am doing the Homer Simpson donut drool....mmmmmmm

Quarry, I totally agree! The packages were so adorable! I'm loving your analogy!

Wow nice work Haunani!! I would never have guessed that. Should look out for it, I'm loving Sample A!!

Just spritzing Sample B now. Impressions in just a second....

The Calypso Mimosa was lovely - what a good blind buy, whisperingleaves! I enjoyed it very much, and absolutely would consider buying it. And as I told Asha and Jillsy in a PM, they did a superior job of picking out notes, which greatly helped with the solving!

On to B, which I'm sniffing at as we speak...

The honey-colored Sample B started out powerful on the back of my hand. I think I agree with Asha that it is an EDP. I get exotic spices (cardamom for sure, and probably pepper), a mellow citrus like mandarin or orange (or Asha's bergamot). There is wood; I would hazard cedar/cypress and perhaps sandalwood. There is also a toasted or burnt smell to it. And yes to a base that contains amber and vetiver.

For me, this smells like Aomassai meets Theorema! I wasn't sure at first, but now I like it quite a bit. It's gourmand-y.

I agree with Asha that it is likely a men's or unisex fragrance, and that it's probably niche and contemporary.

The summer connection? I don't know. It kind of reminds me of certain smells one might encounter at a fair or a beach boardwalk in an interesting locale. Or something yummy cooking over a campfire? Hmmm...

Whoa! Hefty dose of incense. I smell a bit of myrrh but the majority of the incense is from what I think is frankincense. It's very sweet too with lots of vanilla and maybe benzoin? I think I detect a fair bit of sandalwood, maybe cedar too. Something floral? Rosy maybe.

This one is much harder for me to identify notes! Feels more complex. It was slightly more viscous than A so I'm guessing it's an EdP - also from the yellow colour of the juice. I'm guessing it's niche, rarely ever smell frankincense and myrrh in anything mainstream.

Edit: wow I smell the Aomassai association. The incense is starting to settle down and it's becoming more gourmand.
    Last edited by jillsy; 16th August 2009 at 02:32 AM.

Since there is agreement on it, I will confirm niche and edp.

I'll hold off on commenting on notes for a bit.

I disagree that this fragrance is gourmand--I think classic oriental, a form in which vanilla is quite comfortable

It reminds me of a cross between Habit Rouge EDP and Organza Indecence.

I'll also say, this does NOT seem like Serge Lutens or L'Artisan.

Yes, I don't think it's SL or L'A either. I'm getting a bit of a caramelly gourmand note here. But my skin tends to turn everything sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I'll also say, this does NOT seem like Serge Lutens or L'Artisan.
    I agree with this. Also think we could rule out Goutal and Jo Malone. I still get gourmand, but perhaps it's because I haven't yet had dinner!

I just got a waft of some other spices - possibly a touch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg. So far, I don't get cumin. There may be an exotic wood in this?

Oh, lol, jillsy I am so opposite--my skin dries things out! But I have 2 papers and my skin going here--in various stages of development. This fragrance is beautiful and complex. Classic sensibility, but with what seems like modern ingredients.

Hanauni, yes, it could have some cinnamon, I agree. Cumin was perhaps hasty on my part, but this frag does have a "sweaty" smell in the top notes.

Oooh, I think I'm getting cardamom now too. Some other spices too but can't place them. Maybe it's cumin. And a very light touch of nutmeg?

I'm stumped.
    Last edited by jillsy; 16th August 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Admit there was something in the top notes that put me off a bit, too. Kinda like something meaty under the spices? So is that maybe cumin? I thought I liked cumin. Hmmm...

I think I'm between the two of you on the sweetening-drying spectrum. I smell the *idea* of burnt sugar, perhaps, but it's not sweet on me.

Asha, what does the paper test tell you that is different from skin? I haven't tried that!
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th August 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Oooh, I think I'm getting cardamom now too. Some other spices too but can't place them. Maybe it's cumin. And a very light touch of nutmeg?

I'm stumped.
    I'm almost sure of cardamom, jillsy. One of my favorite spices in perfumes. I'm having trouble with the other spices, though. Do you think there's pepper?

Oh, lol, jillsy I am so opposite--my skin dries things out! But I have 2 papers and my skin going here--in various stages of development. This fragrance is beautiful and complex. Classic sensibility, but with what seems like modern ingredients.
    Hehehe even extremely sweet fruity florals? I'm curious how they smell on your skin!

This is beautiful. Strikes me as quite austere despite it's sweetness. It could be a CdG Incense for all I know. Tis rather heavy incense, I can't imagine wearing this in summer.
    Last edited by jillsy; 16th August 2009 at 03:02 AM.

My skin really likes this frag, and the scent on paper is pretty close to what I smell on my arm. This did not really happen with Sample A, though...so I think it depends on the composition.

Earlier today, I sprayed Sample B on a tissue and left it in the bathroom. When I came back hours later, I smelled a beautiful woody, incense smell.

Yup. I'm starting to get an appreciation for cardamom in perfume too.

Pepper! That's what I was missing. I'm still thinking along the lines of nutmeg/cinnamon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I'm almost sure of cardamom, jillsy. One of my favorite spices in perfumes. I'm having trouble with the other spices, though. Do you think there's pepper?
    Cardamom, to me, is kind of like a composite of pepper, cinnamon, clove (or allspice) and nutmeg...

edit, and something more "off" such as cumin, but only in a small dose.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th August 2009 at 03:05 AM.

Just sprayed it on a tissue and it's much drier! I'm suddenly getting a new green facet, maybe galbanum? Vetiver?

Asha, you are right that cardamom is rather complex. Interesting observation!

Jillsy, I think there's vetiver in there, too.

P.S. Being called to dinner, which includes aioli. I hope the garlic doesn't knock my sniffer out! I will check back 30-60 minutes!
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th August 2009 at 03:17 AM.

I wonder if that weird note I smelled at the start could be imortelle? It is sweet and weird, but didn't smell like maple syrup or curry, as I expect imortelle to smell...

Sounds delicious, you're making me hungry!!

On the tissue I'm starting to smell lavender and clove also. Anyone else get these?

Well, I do smell something that is bracing and herbal in the top notes. I was thinking it was pine or some other conifer, but lavender or rosemary could also have a similar effect.

Regarding spices...yes, there is a clove-like note. The active ingredient of clove is in alot of things, so it could also be some other spices. Allspice, for example, is like a combo of cinnamon clove and nutmeg, and is also a little peppery. Allspice is also called pimento berry.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th August 2009 at 03:30 AM.

Hmm there could be immortelle. The caramelly note that I was smelling before could have been it. B does have a bit of resemblance to L de Lolita (features immortelle) but with amplified spices and a large dose of incense. Interesting....

I wonder if that weird note I smelled at the start could be imortelle? It is sweet and weird, but didn't smell like maple syrup or curry, as I expect imortelle to smell...
    ...On the tissue I'm starting to smell lavender and clove also. Anyone else get these?
    Well, I do smell something that is bracing and herbal in the top notes. I was thinking it was pine or some other conifer, but lavender or rosemary could also have a similar effect.

Regarding spices...yes, there is a clove-like note. The active ingredient of clove is in alot of things, so it could also be some other spices. Allspice, for example, is like a combo of cinnamon clove and nutmeg, and is also a little peppery. Allspice is also called pimento berry.
    Hmm there could be immortelle. The caramelly note that I was smelling before could have been it. B does have a bit of resemblance to L de Lolita (features immortelle) but with amplified spices and a large dose of incense. Interesting....
    Hi! There was an exotic food note at the beginning. Who knows, it could be immortelle. I've never gotten maple from immortelle, but curry I could maybe buy. I also can see the rosemary possibility. This is one strange fragrance...

I think I get garlic, too. Oh wait -- that's my breath!

Lol--at least I am not detecting a nice boozy bourbon note tonight

Well, I am fading, so I"ll call it a night. G'night all!

Well, I am fading, so I"ll call it a night. G'night all!
    Me too. Just had a little glass of Grand Marnier to combat the aioli breath. Fading fast; brain tired. One more thought to sleep on... does anyone get some dried fruit of some sort in B, especially at the beginning?

Also pondering the summer connection. This sure seems like a cold weather fragrance!

'Night!
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th August 2009 at 05:20 AM.

One more thought to sleep on... does anyone get some dried fruit of some sort in B, especially at the beginning?

Also pondering the summer connection. This sure seems like a cold weather fragrance!
    Hmmm now that you mention it, there could be some kind of dried fruit. But only on my skin, not on paper.

I can't figure out the summer connection either.

Goodnight!

A few more clues

Notes I will confirm at this point:
    Vanilla
    Vetiver
    Patchouli

There are a few others listed, but not nearly as many as you are finding. (that in itself may be a clue )

The summer connection? I don't know. It kind of reminds me of certain smells one might encounter at a fair or a beach boardwalk in an interesting locale. Or something yummy cooking over a campfire? Hmmm...
    Haunani, you are on the right track. this one is also supposed to evoke a specific place. But perhaps a more of a sultry summer evening than springtime morning.

No incense???

None listed in any pyramid I've found.

jillsy, vetiver can be very smoky, or there could also be other notes which get smoky. Also, if whisperingleaves is being very tricky, perhaps the pyramid does not have "incense" but has some resin which is used for incense, such as opoponax, myrrh, franincense, etc.

Incidentally, I do not think Sample B is:
    Montale Blue Amber (too dark in color, sweeter)
    Farmacia SS Ambra Nera (much sweeter, no herbal notes)
    Biehl al02 (much thinner smelling, juice is more pinkish)

No myrrh, frankincense or opopanax or anything else I would recognize as incense in the pyramid.

But it is an wonderfully complex scent with very few listed notes / components.

I can also confirm "green" top notes - perhaps some the incense you are smelling is somewhere in the green stuff
    Last edited by whisperingleaves; 16th August 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added a bit more information

Oh, I have been sending my guesses, and was not thinking of the summer theme...gah!

Sultry summer night...thinking...

and don't forget

location, location, location

I am still "pre-shower" this morning, and sprayed "B" a couple hours ago. The vetiver is very prominent today, and is a constant thread in the development.

On yesterday's blotter paper, I smell musk, also, but very faint. Knowing "B" probably has a truncated list of notes, musk could be present, but simply not listed. It is very ubiquitous, at any rate!

Also, longevity wise, sample "B" did not last through the night for me, but in general seems to have rather good longevity.
    Last edited by Asha; 16th August 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Good morning! (Jillsy, I hope you're having sweet dreams, as it appears to be wee hours there.)

Unlike Asha's experience, a modest application made it through the night on me. The vetiver lingered longest, as vetiver is wont to do. I did have some interesting dreams, by the way.

With our strong hint about location, location, location, and the suggestion that the fragrance is more complex than the official notes listing would indicate, I am going to submit a guess. If I'm right, the location being pointed to is a certain city that a foodie like myself would love to visit. One that I hear is pretty sultry-hot in the summer.

If not, we move on...
    Last edited by Haunani; 16th August 2009 at 04:18 PM.

musk is among the listed notes. sorry I didn't confirm that earlier. I was trying to hit the ones there was the most consensus on.

...and Haunani did it again :bounce::bounce:

an_oud_girl has also guessed B. :bounce:

We'll move on to C soon. so if you have guesses for B this is the time to pass them along.

one additional note to help narrow things down: magnolia

Asha has guessed B as well :bounce:

B is Magazine Street by Strange Invisible Perfumes

From the SIP website:
    Opulent magnolia holds court under exotic arches of vanilla and patchouli, delighted by the brazen intimations of vetiver and botanical musk.

Inspiration: this bold, sultry perfume celebrates the mezmerizing facades of new orleans. Its lush gardens wild with history and balconies of black iron lace.

The perfumer, Alexandra Ballahoutis uses all natural ingredients. Everything of hers that I own or have sampled is more complex than the listed ingredients suggest. This was not a blind buy. But the 3x3 was a wonderful excuse to buy a bottle of a scent that has been on my wish list for a while.

I was hoping New Orleans would be an intriguing vacation destination. Definitely warm and sultry. (Perhaps sometimes hot and humid. ) But somehow in ' Nawlins, the heat and humidity seems less oppressive And there is a wonderful wealth of smells, tastes and music to enjoy.

Thanks to sunnyface and an_oud_girl to playing along with us.

And we are onto C….

Just spritzed on Mystery Scent C, but my mind is on B. Magazine Street is a fascinating fragrance. As whisperingleaves said, there seems to be a lot more to it than the listed notes suggest. I never did pick up florals, and I'm sure there were culinary spices in there! The opening was stranger than strange, to my nose. Wish I had the skill to figure that out! Thank you, WS, for sharing this special selection with us!

And I just found via PM--I am such a dork, as I had been dismissing Magazine Street repeatedly, even though it came up on the top of all my searches

My first guess was Amouge, and I was relieved to find out I was wrong, because it is so expensive. But well, Strange Invisible Perfumes is also, gah! I adore this fragrance--thanks whisperingleaves!

Just spritzed on Mystery Scent C, but my mind is on B. Magazine Street is a fascinating fragrance. As whisperingleaves said, there seems to be a lot more to it than the listed notes suggest. I never did pick up florals, and I'm sure there were culinary spices in there! The opening was stranger than strange, to my nose. Wish I had the skill to figure that out! Thank you, WS, for sharing this special selection with us!
    Haunani, I am sure there are more ingredients than those listed in the pyramid--I remember Profumo gave us one with three notes in the list, but then he confessed later it was far more complex. No reason to feel that you are not smelling the right things!

Initial thoughts on Sample C...

Notes:
    Lemon
    Aldehydes (soapy)
    Aquatic notes
    Heliotrope (cherry)
    Almond
    White musk (soapy)
    Vanilla

EDT
    Feminine Floral-aquatic
    Niche or limited release designer

The deep drydown actually reminds me of a contemporary Estee Lauder such as Pure White Linen, but "C" is more refined overall.

My initial observations/impressions of Sample C:

Clear in color
    Light-bodied, EDT or cologne
    A citrusy floral
    Lemon and/or Bergamot?
    Lily of the Valley/Muguet?
    White Ginger/Ginger Lily?
    Jasmine?
    Possible light tropical fruit of some sort?
    Light musk?
    No woods, no patchouli, no incense

This one smells somewhat familiar. I don't think I've sniffed it before, but it's similar to something I've tested. I think it could be specialty store (Bath & Body, Crabtree & Evelyn, or the like), or possibly niche.

Reading Asha's...I don't get aquatic (but need to think about that) or heliotrope or almond.
    Last edited by Haunani; 17th August 2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Added a possible note,

Sorry, I forgot something.

Sample "C" has a salty, peanut or popcorn smell, also. It reminds me of Mitsouko, in some ways--the salty peanut note is from Vetiver, to my best assessment.

"C" also seems contemporary to me.
    Last edited by Asha; 17th August 2009 at 01:57 AM.

OK, the more I smell this the more sure I am that this fragrance has the following notes:

Lemon
    Bergamot
    Muguet/Lily of the Valley

The base is probably a very light musk, to my nose.

I think I'm now also getting that refreshing aquatic impression that Asha mentions.

A pretty, uncomplicated, refreshing summer fragrance!

In the deep drydown (on my arm), I am getting that "face cream" note again. Perhaps there is an artificial rose which lingers into the drydown and combines with vanilla and a touch of amber. It is actually reminiscent of Chanel Coco's drydown, but much more subdued.

In the deep drydown (on my arm), I am getting that "face cream" note again. Perhaps there is an artificial rose which lingers into the drydown and combines with vanilla and a touch of amber. It is actually reminiscent of Chanel Coco's drydown, but much more subdued.
    There COULD be rose! I'm proving myself to be a complete idiot at picking out that note when it's buried in the middle!

I am wondering if EDT is the right designation...whatever the case, "C" has been lingering far longer than I would expect from an EDT. However, it doesn't pack the punch of an EDP...so, difficult to call it.

Never would have guessed Sample B either. Man this is tough, I'm so glad I'm alongside Haunani and Asha!

I think Sample C is another case of my skin sweetening everything. Admittedly all my skin smelled faintly of perfume before this (once again hanging out at a perfume shop for a few hours) but the stuff on the tissue is almost as sweet.

I'm getting a sweet fruity floral, something with a watery note (calone?) and tropical fruits - pineapple and mango maybe? All on a layer of musk and vanilla - clean kind of musk (white?), not skanky. Maybe some orange and light sandalwood. I'm guessing designer EdT - I'm getting something along the lines of Ralph Rocks/something Escada, maybe Sunset Heat/Gucci Flora.

Actually it's now starting to mellow and I'm getting something that reminds me of Anais Anais in it, so I'm guessing there's LotV/Muguet in this. Maybe rose too?

Then again, I sprayed Anais Anais and Ralph Rocks earlier today.
    Last edited by jillsy; 17th August 2009 at 10:06 AM.

Again the pyramid I have is truncated but they admit to:

Citrus
    A fruit and a berry but not ones mentioned yet.
    Sandalwood
    They also list flowers that might be the aquatic note you are getting.

It is an edt.