Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3x3 Blind Sniff - Summer Fun - August

mimosa is often a bit watery
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Strawberry or raspberry maybe?

Yes the mimosa in Sample A was more watery than I tend to think of mimosa (a la Champs Elysees). Could be that or maybe lilac again? Hmmm.

Usually it's easier to find note pyramids for designer fragrances isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Water-related floral could be Water Lily. I'll have to spray it again later, but yesterday I thought the fruit was cherry-like, on the sweet side. Then again, it could have been the other notes sweetening it up. Some watery fruits are lychee or melon.

Water-related floral could also be lotus, honeysuckle, or maybe white ginger. Like jillsy, I thought of the possibility of pineapple or mango.

I had an idea, but now it looks like I'm wrong. Back to the drawing board...

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not get much in the way of specific florals--there is such a strong ozone/aquatic quality that is very chemical to my nose. I am probably going to have a hard time discerning what this one is :-/

I agree with jillsy that there is a tiny amount of "skank" that could be orange flower, or maybe some other fruit-tree flower.

Another watery fruit is pear, and that is an idea that fits with this composition.
    Last edited by Asha; 17th August 2009 at 02:36 PM.

Another watery fruit is melon. I suppose there could be some honeydew?

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did anyone else get a "cheap" vibe at any time during Magazine Street's development? That's just something I've noticed in the few times I've sampled it--like there's just one note that's cheap smelling. Oh, well.

I'll say one thing about "C," and that is when I first read about, I'd never have guessed it would be an aquatic, which is how it smells to me. That's hardly a hint, really. Nor is this statement, unless you're my husband who's heard me say it and understands my reference: I'd like to vacation at the place this fragrance is connected to, because it would be a relaxing environment, free from all the wearying foolishness that people demonstrate.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

water lily and lotus are listed notes

Post Thanks / Like

After wearing it most of the day today, I think I'd like to reassess the maker. "C" seems much more like a designer frag than niche, at least for what my expectations are. I still am getting a floral of indistinct flower type (along with fresh and aquatic notes), and still mostly female in marketing orientation.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Usually it's easier to find note pyramids for designer fragrances isn't it?
    That's using your noggin. Not a conventional product in the industry sense.

And yes to the female designation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quarry or whisperingleaves...can we assume that the notes and other things we mentioned are NOT pertinent to "C" if you did not confirm them?

So, NO musk, NO Pear, NO melon, etc.?

No listed musk, pear or melon. But I suspect the list of notes I could find is truncated and may be the marketing department's version of the real list.

There are to two yet unmentioned fruits in addition to the notes I've confirmed so far. One fairly common the other more unusual.

Designer would be possibly be the best fit in that the house is primarily know for offerings other than fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Ruling out houses...

Jo Malone -- all frags are EDC, and this is an EDT
    Demeter -- no lotus-bearing frags
    Pacifica -- no lotus-bearing frags

Quote Originally Posted by whisperingleaves View Post
    ...Designer would be possibly be the best fit in that the house is primarily know for offerings other than fragrance.
    Is this "house" primarily known for offerings of the entertainment variety???

The "house" is primarily know for jewelry but there is an entertainment connection to both the house and the inspiration for the scent

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man, if this is what I THINK it is, it is a ROFL moment!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Oh, man, if this is what I THINK it is, it is a ROFL moment!
    Well, I think I've been on the wrong track, but I hope you have a good idea!

Asha has guessed it!

For additional clues please sniff 1 and 2. These 3 were released together.

Hanauni has guessed it as well.

I figured after a hot day at the beach on the Rivera followed by wandering through Nawlins Garden District and French Quarter a movie was just the thing for summer fun.

Besides C ‘s marketing material has the best line for perfumistas prone to lemmings and blind buys.

Because having is not always so pleasing a thing as wanting.

C is Pon Farr by Genki Wear

Perfume for women is a refreshing fragrance that is both invigorating and dramatic with light, clean top notes of citrus, blackcurrant, lotus blossom and water lily.
    And with base notes from sandalwood, peach and mulberry, Pon Farr is perfect for those bright sunny days and warm summer nights spent together at the beach, around the fire or simply watching your favorite affaire d’honneur.

1 is Red Shirt

Put Yourself in the Line of Fire.

RED SHIRT Cologne is made for the young, modern man of the Galaxy who doesn’t hesitate, who revels in being alive today.
    RED SHIRT Cologne instills confidence, showing the universe your strength, your valor, your devotion to living each day as though it could be your last.
    Bright, clean and direct with top notes of green mandarin, bergamot and a hint of lavender, RED SHIRT finishes strong with base notes of leather and grey musk.
    It's a daring men's fragrance for those brave enough to place no trust in tomorrow.
    Because Tomorrow May Never Come.

2 is Tiberius

TIBERIUS Cologne for men embodies bravery and spirit, blending chemistry and emotion for a crisp, clean men's fragrance. TIBERIUS is a casual yet commanding fragrance spiked with raised notes of freshness and sensuality. Sweet citron zest, black pepper, and cedar create refreshingly clear top notes, layered over a wooded and spicy scent thanks to its warm vanilla, white musk, and sandalwood base notes.

Difficult to define, impossible to refuse. In any universe. Take TIBERIUS on your next mission and be transported to new worlds of sensual discovery.
    Boldly Go.
    Last edited by whisperingleaves; 18th August 2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: added more information

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, WL this was so tricky! Here I was looking for "serious" fragrances like Carolina Herrerra and Liz Claiborne. (Well, perhaps those are not so serious, either, but that is another discussion).

For the readers, after WL posted the last hint, I almost blurted the answer, because I was pretty sure it COULDN'T be a gimmic fragrance, right? I checked NST quickly, saw the notes lined up, and the rest is history.

Tiberius and Red Shirt are interesting too, Tiberius being the must surprisingly soft, traditional EDC type fragrance. Cap'n Kirk apparently has his sensitive side

Oh, and Quarry, lol at your comment about wanting to go to "C" on vacation...
    Last edited by Asha; 18th August 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Big round of applause to whisperingleaves and Quarry for a fun, relaxing Summer Fun 3x3! Hugs all around

Oh, WL this was so tricky! Here I was looking for "serious" fragrances like Carolina Herrerra and Liz Claiborne. (Well, perhaps those are not so serious, either, but that is another discussion).

For the readers, after WL posted the last hint, I almost blurted the answer, because I was pretty sure it COULDN'T be a gimmic fragrance, right? I checked NST quickly, saw the notes lined up, and the rest is history.

Tiberius and Red Shirt are interesting too, Tiberius being the must surprisingly soft, traditional EDC type fragrance. Cap'n Kirk apparently has his sensitive side

Oh, and Quarry, lol at your comment about wanting to go to "C" on vacation...
    Wasn't this fun?! I, on the other hand, was stuck in the Disney mode, sure that our hostess from Orlando had included one of the character scents. Princess Belle was my top contender (I had dismissed Minnie Mouse last night). But I was struggling to get enough info for confirmation, and they just didn't quite fit!

After Asha solved it and WL said that it was a trio of fragrances, the answer emerged. What a fantastic choice! BTW, I'm really liking the Red Shirt fragrance.

Big round of applause to whisperingleaves and Quarry for a fun, relaxing Summer Fun 3x3! Hugs all around
    YES to that. A fantastic job and fascinating fragrance choices! I had a blast, and learned a lot too!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies!!
    This was so much fun. I would have never guessed any of these perfumes.

I am going to have to try those Star Trek perfumes.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I didn't even know these scents existed! What a great round, I had so much fun! Thanks Whisperingleaves for making it all happen, Haunani, Asha, Quarry and everyone else for playing along!

Asha, jillsy, Haunani, Quarry and everyone - Thanks again for joining in the summer fun.

I had a great time as well and I am so glad you enjoyed it.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Catching up with all the posts and PMs. I'm startled you guessed it so quickly, Asha. And, yes, I have told DH repeatedly, Vulcan would be the ideal vacation planet (with A/C added) since one could just relax and be logical and not put up with normal human behavior (I'm a curmudgeon away from BN).

I really liked #1, Red Shirt, and will insist my man wear it. I was really surprised that gimmick fragrances were of at least good mainstream quality, and that Pon Farr turned out to be an aquatic.

I enjoyed it all (starting with Minnie's cookies ). Thank you for all the time I know you had to devote to pulling this event together, Whisper.