Code of Conduct

Thread: Love and Hate

Blog Entries

Default Love and Hate

I was just curious if there are any frags that you both love and hate. For instance, are there any that you love the top notes, but hate it as it dries down? Or, are there some that you suffer through a top you hate to get to a drydown you love?

Default Re: Love and Hate

I hate opium PH EDT top notes but the dry down is great

Private Collection ( the original one ) - the top notes are my favorite green fragrance; the base notes are a sickly avalanche of powder. This is such a disappointing fragrance for me.

Velvet Gardenia - a very true gardenia note married to an even truer cheese note. Time for a divorce.

I hate aldehydes, so their presence in many otherwise great fragrances is irksome. Many Chanels suffer from this.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: Ferragamo Incense Suede, Trumper Eucris, O'driu Eva Kant.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

I hate how Kouros smells out of the bottle but like the drydown.

I also hate how all niche fragrances kill my savings but generally like them!

Dependent

I really enjoy Contradiction for men, but the final parts of the dry-down turns disappointingly sour and slightly pungent to my nose. A pity...

I love the opening of Rose 31 much more than its dry-down.. same goes with Cartier Roadster and quite a few others. The latter has a dry-down that I couldn't stand and turned me off that fragrance altogether.

Cerutti Si
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I was just curious if there are any frags that you both love and hate. For instance, are there any that you love the top notes, but hate it as it dries down? Or, are there some that you suffer through a top you hate to get to a drydown you love?
    It seems to me that it would be worth it to suffer through the briefer top notes you don't like to get to base notes that would linger longer.

On the other hand, it seems less wise to spray on something with great top notes if you hate the base notes you'll have to live with for a much longer time (unless you wash it off as soon as the top notes go away!).
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Kouros. The opening is too sharp, but I really enjoy the drydown.

Banned

I hate Habit Rouge for sometimes smelling like heaven and sometimes smelling bad.

Sur la Plage

No. I would not buy it if either case existed.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I hate aldehydes, so their presence in many otherwise great fragrances is irksome. Many Chanels suffer from this.
    Maybe you hate the particular set of aldehydes that Chanel uses? Certainly, not all aldehydes smell (about) the same. They're used very often!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Montale Red Aoud

Polo DB smelled impeccable from a tester then a bought a giftset and it was straight pepper. Was dissapointed.

Rive gauche smelled great at first, now it seems to be turning bad. Same with RG Intense.

Polo Black is great on a card, less so on my skin.

Lonestar Memories.
    I love it for what it is, unique, strong, strange, masculine, cold, hot .. but I cant wear it because I end up smelling like an outdoor fire used to make a barbecue and the fire extinguished with water... wet charcoal and animal fat.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

I LOVE Angeliques sous la Pluie but HATE it's sillage/longevity.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I love the opening of Rose 31 much more than its dry-down.. same goes with Cartier Roadster and quite a few others. The latter has a dry-down that I couldn't stand and turned me off that fragrance altogether.

oud27 is the opposite....it smells like feet cheese and stale wine when you put it on....then an hour later smells great!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is fantastic in its top and heart, but gets much to dirty in its base. It turns to a completely different fragrance on me and looses all of the tobacco and vanilla that drew me in.
    Last edited by The Duke; 11th August 2009 at 02:59 PM.

I am wearing Avignon today.
    Love the incense's association with church etc. Hate its association with church, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I LOVE Angeliques sous la Pluie but HATE it's sillage/longevity.
    Im with you on that!!!

Yikes.. I feel life is too short to struggle through difficult top notes to get to a nice dry-down. Not to mention the # of times I spray my SOTD and immediately walk out the door into an elevator, etc... how many more people need to be exposed to that raw opening before the pleasant dry-down?

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    oud27 is the opposite....it smells like feet cheese and stale wine when you put it on....then an hour later smells great!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I still need to wrap my mind around this issue. Why buy or continue to sample a frag that causes any kind of grief at all?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Femme by Rochas. The opening notes are sharp, brutal, astringent and just plain annoying, but the drydown is awesomely rich, warm, leathery and woody.

Well I would say that as a fragrance develops you might have a somewhat "average" or even mundane opening that (quickly) develops into a masterpiece. But if any of the stages are revolting I would absolutely agree with you. I just don't have the patience, and there are far too many fragrances out there that are wonderful from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I still need to wrap my mind around this issue. Why buy or continue to sample a frag that causes any kind of grief at all?

Blog Entries

It's been interesting reading the responses. I started the thread after telling someone about my experience with Nautica Oceans, where I really liked the top, but it turned unpleasant in the middle. I think that one just didn't work on my skin, so that's a little different.

Anyway, I guess my current one that fits the criteria of my original question would be Polo. It's always been my wife's favorite, and I used to wear it all the time. But I got a new bottle and I still like the top a lot. The middle is okay. But the finish is just a lot more sour than I remember it (like decaying leaves on my skin).

I'm guessing it has been reformulated since I wore it in HS and college.

" I still need to wrap my mind around this issue. Why buy or continue to sample a frag that causes any kind of grief at all?"

Because these are often the best frags in the world! Case in point, Michael for Men. At times I begin to think that this juice is going to make me vomit, But then I get accustomed to it and I find it to be very enjoyable. Then a while later I find myself thinking that this might make me ill, but that wears off quickly and I find myself enjoying it again. This may be the definition of a fragrance "masterpiece," that is, it takes you to the "edge" of what is enjoyable but never does become nauseating. It is a "boundary pusher." I don't know if "newbies" can understand this, but I do know that as a newbie, I could not understand this. This does not mean everyone should like MfM, but it may mean that if you want to be a frag aficionado you need to consider coming outside your comfort zone once in a while.

I definitely agree with Bigsly - and I would have missed some of my all-time favorites if I hadn't revisited some initially-hated samples!

Hate is a too strong word, but: Burberry Brit is heaven at the beginning, but the drydown is dull and empty.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    ...This does not mean everyone should like MfM, but it may mean that if you want to be a frag aficionado you need to consider coming outside your comfort zone once in a while.
    After 33 years of wearing all sorts of frags, from most of the drugstore, designer and niche houses, i STILL need to wrap my mind around this issue

We love frags for different reasons. Some love scents primarily for the joy they give us when we wear them. Some love frags as an end in themselves. Some fall into both categories. I belong to the first category and personally do not see a need to want to leave my comfort zone when, within that zone, there are still hundreds of beautiful scents yet to be experienced enjoyed. I am a newbie to BaseNotes, but not to scents. One thing BaseNotes has taught me is the way appreciation of fragrances brings out the differences in individuals - the differences that we should understand, celebrate and respect, not challenge or question. Case in point: MfM, for me is a wonderful scent experience from top-notes to drydown.

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Perf, I agree to an extent with you. However, in the case of my example, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, it is one of the most beautiful scents I have ever smelled, it is a scent that I could easily see being a signature scent of mine, it just seems so "me" in every way. It's just SO DAMN WEAK!!! Because of this I will continue to sample and wear it, hoping something changes.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Perf, I agree to an extent with you. However, in the case of my example, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, it is one of the most beautiful scents I have ever smelled, it is a scent that I could easily see being a signature scent of mine, it just seems so "me" in every way. It's just SO DAMN WEAK!!! Because of this I will continue to sample and wear it, hoping something changes.
    Thanks, mtgprox05. Now, THAT is a feeling i understand!!! Last October, i was so frustrated after waiting 3 months to get to London from Nigeria to smell L'Artisan's Mure et Musc. It was a glorious scent, but it disappeared in 15 minutes Thank goodness there was the Extreme edition, which was sent to me (blind) a few very sad days after. Maybe if we apply the word "hate" in a very broad manner, then your gentle counter-point is spot-on. It still will be a challenge to tolerate an off-putting frag for longer than i need to, though

Thanks.

#BBOG!