Code of Conduct

Default Terre D'Hermes Parfum -My Review

I've posted my review of the new Terre D'Hermes Parfum at the link below:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Terr...-ciel-946.html

As I say in the review I find Ellena's take on this to be an attempt at an accessible parfum strength product for men.
    I am really hopeful that this sees the succeess I think it deserves and opens the door for more parfum strength versions of some masculine classics.
    Can you imagine what a parfum strength L'Egoiste could be?
    Chanel are you listening?
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: Terre D'Hermes Parfum -My Review

Thanks SMM - great review! I'm looking forward to trying it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Do you know how much it's going to be?
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thank you so much. I was waiting for a review on it. I got a gut feeling TdH parfum will reach Malaysian shores only next year.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Do you know how much it's going to be?
    According to the Boston Hermes boutique - $120 for 75ml, $225 for 200ml.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

I would like to see this succeed, but I have a hard time envisoning Joe Ordinary walking into Nordstrom/Saks and buying a bottle of this - even if they already like/use the EDT. But hopefully they will......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If a regular punter tries the EDT and the Parfum at the same time, they'll definitely go for the EDT because it's lower priced. They smell almost identical after all.

Will TdH Parfum be a limited edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    If a regular punter tries the EDT and the Parfum at the same time, they'll definitely go for the EDT because it's lower priced. They smell almost identical after all.
    Actually I think the parfum projects much less than the EDT and for some guys who might be nervous about wearing something that has too much sillage this would appeal.
    The price point argument potentially makes sense only time will tell.
    Based on everything Hermes has said this is not planned to be a limited edition and will be available in all the same places Hermes products are sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Actually I think the parfum projects much less than the EDT and for some guys who might be nervous about wearing something that has too much sillage this would appeal.
    The price point argument potentially makes sense only time will tell.
    Based on everything Hermes has said this is not planned to be a limited edition and will be available in all the same places Hermes products are sold.
    That's a good point regarding the sillage. It's a little less "scary" for some men than the EDT!

As you say, it's definitely not a limited edition. I've already seen it in Debenhams(a non-swanky department store) and also a local store in my small hometown here in Ireland, so it seems to be sold everywhere that sells Hermes stuff.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds delicious. I like the fact that it sounds not quite as 'formal' as one would have thought.

One question SMM: in the EdT of TdH I get a very leaf heavy, prominent dirty herb smell slightly reminiscent of dried marijuana leaves. Do you smell this in TdH and if so, is it apparent in the parfum as well? I must admit that this particular feature of TdH has always made me hesitant to wear TdH in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sounds delicious. I like the fact that it sounds not quite as 'formal' as one would have thought.

One question SMM: in the EdT of TdH I get a very leaf heavy, prominent dirty herb smell slightly reminiscent of dried marijuana leaves. Do you smell this in TdH and if so, is it apparent in the parfum as well? I must admit that this particular feature of TdH has always made me hesitant to wear TdH in certain situations.
    I don't necessarily get that but I do get hint of patchouli in the style I would describe as herbal in the heart of the EDT. If that is the note you're referring to it seems to be completely gone in the Parfum version. I had each arm liberally marinated in both versions on Saturday and could not find that patchouli note anywhere in the parfum version.
    You're going to have to give it a try and see whether that is the note and whether you notice it on your skin or not. I think there is a chance it isn't there and you might like this version more than the EDT for that reason.

Thanks SMM,

I'm a fan of TdH and JCE and I look forward to testing the extrait.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

One question SMM: in the EdT of TdH I get a very leaf heavy, prominent dirty herb smell slightly reminiscent of dried marijuana leaves.
    Mike, I hope you didn't inhale

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

SMM,

Great review on the Fragrantica site. Thanks for the link. I look forward to testing this soon!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Dependent

Thanks for sharing SMM, appreciate it

Blog Entries

Nice long-form review - thanks!

I'm a little put off the original TdH by the heavy cumin and Iso E Super combo. Is this still there?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Nice long-form review - thanks!

I'm a little put off the original TdH by the heavy cumin and Iso E Super combo. Is this still there?
    You are the example of how two different people can smell the same scent and have it be very different on both people. I want to be in the same place with you some time to see how different our skin chemistries are.

In the original EDT the only real spice I get is pepper and nothing which reminds me of cumin. I do get an herbal patchouli as mentioned above in response to mikeperez's query.
    Iso E Super is still a significant component of the parfum strength composition but it is toned down from the original a bit.
    The pepper is still present but as I mentioned in the review it sort of comes in to the parfum version slowly building until you realize it is front and center.

I'm not sure this is helpful for you because we experience scents so differently but those are my impressions. It will be interesting to hear yours when you get a chance to try a spritz.

Fantastic Review.....Great info.....This is one that I want to test when it comes my way.....Thanks again.
    Gary

Blog Entries

Wonderful review, Mark! I can almost smell it now!

You're so right about the need for more masculine perfumes - even EDPs - to say nothing of parfums. I enjoy my L'Instant PH Extreme so much - but it's not even in stock at the Guerlain boutiques here in the US. I think Hermès is simply leap-frogging over the whole "extreme flanker" trend by doing this. I thought it was so interesting that Ellena was unmotivated to do just another extreme flanker. I love his statement - choosing olfactory expression over "performance" (which is a dirty word to me as well, since I personally care not a whiff about longevity or sillage as compared to the scent itself). The fact that this is a new creation - a new expression - makes all the difference to me. Bring on the sauna rocks!!!

Great review - thanks again!

Thumbs up Re: Terre D'Hermes Parfum -My Review

Once again thanks very very much for your wonderful review !!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Great review! thanks! Looking forward to try this edp (and Guerlains Homme and the new Narcico Rodriguez...)

Where was it that I read that eau de toilette ,in the early times, was supposed to be sprayed allover ones clothes and therefore was a lighter concentration and projected more, but lasted less. Only perfume was meant to be directly aplied to ones skin. I believe it was a Guerlain website or interview, I´m not sure.
    Last edited by eric; 11th August 2009 at 10:19 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Great review, SMM.

I bought TdH at the Harrods launch in 2006 but was not able to get past a quarter of the bottle. The ISO E Super (didnt know what it was then) and the pepper where too off-putting for me. I hope the parfum rejig will solve this problem.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

A great review by the way......it was definitely the smokey, peppery woods that got me! Simply stunning!!!

I do get the herbal thing at the very start.......in fact last night I gave myself a couple of good sprays before going to work, but threw a shirt on before the top notes had time to dry off.....come morning my shirt smelled like the love child of Rochas Lui and Villoresi Uomo.....so a definite mental note to self......let dry before putting on shirt!!!!
    I really do think Terre D'Hermes Parfum is absolutely stunning.........and to be honest, the EDT never did anything for me!!
    Hope that helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post

Mike, I hope you didn't inhale
    I hope he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You're so right about the need for more masculine perfumes - even EDPs - to say nothing of parfums. I enjoy my L'Instant PH Extreme so much
    Dittos on that. It took me a while to really appreciate my L'Instant PH EDP for what it is and how it wears. I'm not a person who likes "big sillage"; I like my fragrances to wear close to my body, but to get noticed at close range. A fragrance like L'Instant PH EDP (1-2 sprays under my shirt and/or maybe a slight dab on the neck or arms) seems to percolate on the warmth of skin and come wafting up, full of sensous depth and complexity. It's very satisfying and yet, when worn discretely, it doesn't take over the room. Yes, it's a strong fragrance-- I was wearing a pair of pants the other day that I'd previously left a small vial of the EDP in a pocket-- and I merely put my hand in my pocket and when I removed it, my hand smelled wonderful.

That's the thing about some of the perfume strength editions. They're more intense, yet not necessarily sillage beasts-- thus making the act of wearing them even more personal and satisfying. I don't want to fill up a room, but I do want to snap a neck or two at close range.

I can't wait to try the Terre D'Hermes Parfum.

Haven't smelled it yet but it sounds like Ellena didn't deviate from the EdT much. Was hoping for a more animalic version i.e. dirtier amber/patchouli accord.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Thos is great news. I received my TdH EDT yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with it. I can't wait to try the parfum version.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

ike others said: thanks for this great article. i also can't wait to try this perfume version. wow! edp is so rare in men's world and here we are talking about perfume version!

Tried it yesterday in Debenhams parfum @ £65 which I think is amazing value for money . OK I have never been a huge fan of TDH its OK but all I get is grapefruit bitterness and earthy muddy notes , 2 sprays from the tester lasted a good 14 hours , i could still smell it on my arm when I woke up this morning . Not monster sillage but its hardly a shrinking violet either . If you love TDH you need to own it

I tried this for the second time yesterday and once again I was surprised at how quickly it vanished on my arm. About 3-4 hours max. The EDT version seemed to last much longer on me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Dittos on that. It took me a while to really appreciate my L'Instant PH EDP for what it is and how it wears. I'm not a person who likes "big sillage"; I like my fragrances to wear close to my body, but to get noticed at close range. A fragrance like L'Instant PH EDP (1-2 sprays under my shirt and/or maybe a slight dab on the neck or arms) seems to percolate on the warmth of skin and come wafting up, full of sensous depth and complexity. It's very satisfying and yet, when worn discretely, it doesn't take over the room. Yes, it's a strong fragrance-- I was wearing a pair of pants the other day that I'd previously left a small vial of the EDP in a pocket-- and I merely put my hand in my pocket and when I removed it, my hand smelled wonderful.

That's the thing about some of the perfume strength editions. They're more intense, yet not necessarily sillage beasts-- thus making the act of wearing them even more personal and satisfying. I don't want to fill up a room, but I do want to snap a neck or two at close range.

I can't wait to try the Terre D'Hermes Parfum.
    Yes, Indie - this is EXACTLY why the stronger concentrations are so appealing to me, too. I wasn't able to really express the thing that I love about L'Instant PH EDP correctly, but you have. I'm rarely in the mood for big sillage, but more often than not, I want some real scent in my immediate vicinity. Something with depth - not just the tail end of a fleeting scent. Something that still has some kick left in it. And you're right - it can actually be MORE personal than a light but freely sillaging EDT.

There are times that I want those dry whiffs of LIPH EDT cascading about the room, but when I want to enjoy those juicy gourmand notes, like a piece of cake I'm not sharing, except maybe with the wife sitting at the table with me - then the EDP is king.

I hope TdH Parfum does the same thing on me. If it's as close-wearing as it was for SMM, I'll be a happy camper. And if the industry can keep to the "stronger but closer" model, I think they may be able to do nicely in the American men's market with higher concentrations. We don't need loud powerhouse. We need quiet kick-ass.

I finally got myself a bottle after forcing the SA to get them out of their loading dock downstairs. LOL!

I think the sillage is about the same, the only difference is that the EdT SEEMS more noticeable because it captures the brighter aspects of TdH. The parfum smells defintely more compact and dense.

I used to describe the EdT as oranges sitting in a cedar bowl in the desert. The parfum means business. After a short introduction of citrus notes, it deepens quickly to smoky cedar, a bit of lavender, amber, and patchouli. It definitely doesn't smell as complex as the EdT, which has impeccable nuances of JCE's artistry using its transparency to show off its natural complexity. I think other Noses are envious of his style! The parfum might be a letdown for many because it doesn't smell as complex. Not as practical as the EdT, but is no doubt sophisticated and modern. I would definitely call this a smoky woody-leather scent.

This convention of "parfum" is not the same as the classic sense. It's not all about concentration and longevity. Same goes for their Parfum de Merveilles. You spray like an EdP and dabbing wouldn't do you any good with this one. I think JCE is trying to interpret a certain focus of the fragrance, in this case the woodsy depths of the fragrance, and christening it as Parfum. I wouldn't be surprised if another flanker will be created focusing on the more citrus aspects of it, or goes oriental with it by adding vanilla or gourmand notes.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 14th August 2009 at 08:29 PM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I agree with the 'more dense' comments. It is definitely thicker and less "transparent".

Got two samples of this yesterday. Sprayed it heavily on my arms and chest and it was practically non-existent after 3 hours. Surely a "parfum" should last longer?

Try easing back a bit on the sprays, because I sprayed two full sprays on my wrist the evening I bought it at around 7 pm and the scent lingered right up to the next morning--and I showered too right before going to bed.

I sprayed once on my wrist this morning, and it is still going strong after 3 hours now.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Terre D'Hermes Parfum -My Review

Well done, well said. Viva Jean-Calude Ellena the fragrance genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I've posted my review of the new Terre D'Hermes Parfum at the link below:

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Terr...-ciel-946.html

As I say in the review I find Ellena's take on this to be an attempt at an accessible parfum strength product for men.
    I am really hopeful that this sees the succeess I think it deserves and opens the door for more parfum strength versions of some masculine classics.
    Can you imagine what a parfum strength L'Egoiste could be?
    Chanel are you listening?

It´s on the Hermes websites, but only the 200ml version.That´s way too much for me.

I just got a bottle of this and have to admit that I really like it. The sillage is not as good as the EDT but it's dense in a heavenly way. On my first wear I could smell it for 5-6 hours then it was gone. But then, after 10 hours or so I started smelling it again. The scent stuck on my shirt too. The laundry woman would love it If I could get a 200ml bottle I would, since the sillage is not good I don't think it would disturb anyone.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Fantastic review! I just read that Osmoz classifies this one as a woody-chypre.

top notes - Orange, Shiso, Grapefruit
    heart note - Flint, Mineral Notes
    base note - Woody Notes, Oak Moss, Benzoin

I tried it a few months ago and found it too similar at the time to warrant a bottle. (Or perhaps Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver stole the spotlight.) I will have to give this one another sniff.