Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pino Silvestre and Lino Vidal

I just bought my first bottle of Pino Silvestre yesterday. This is one excellent pine scent! Cool pine cone shaped bottle too!
    I'm not expecting a lot of responses here but I'll give it a try: I'm interested in the history of PS, considering how long it's been around, but I can find almost nothing on the internet about its creator, Lino Vidal, or any other detailed history about PS or even the whole PS line of scents.

Can any of you point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by shamu1; 10th August 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Default Re: Pino Silvestre and Lino Vidal

Shamu .. I can't help you with any background info , but good to see another admirer of this classic ...
    Still seems to be more haters than lovers of PS at this stage ...
    Pino is amongst the most masculine & rugged colognes available & green it is .
    Many modern frags use the word black ! ahh ,, their friggin *pink * , Pino is black !!

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Well, I'm a big fan of Pino and I have to admit I don't know much about its history.
    I do know it was launched in 1955 and has been a staple of the inexpensive Italian market ever since.
    I am so lucky to access the full range of products, at Italian deli's where I live. I can get the EDT, aftershave, bar soap, foam bath, and shower gel. The foam bath comes in a honkin' big pine cone, it is terrific!
    I do know another Pino fan, I'll contact her and see if she has any info.
    And, I'll also draw your attention to the wonderful "Coneheads" social group here on Basenotes, where Pino and other piney products get full attention.
    Cheers, ody
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Brief mention at
    http://www.mavive.com/
    and
    http://www.perfumediary.com/brands/p/pino-silvestre/

It seems the perfume house is part of a larger entity now.

I have been undecided about PS for about 2 weeks. This thread will most likely "push" me to get it
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Well, I'm a big fan of Pino and I have to admit I don't know much about its history.
    I do know it was launched in 1955 and has been a staple of the inexpensive Italian market ever since.
    I am so lucky to access the full range of products, at Italian deli's where I live. I can get the EDT, aftershave, bar soap, foam bath, and shower gel. The foam bath comes in a honkin' big pine cone, it is terrific!
    I do know another Pino fan, I'll contact her and see if she has any info.
    And, I'll also draw your attention to the wonderful "Coneheads" social group here on Basenotes, where Pino and other piney products get full attention.
    Cheers, ody
    I'll have to check out those shaving and bath products. You buy this stuff at a delicatessen?! "Yeah, give me ham and swiss on rye, and one of those pine cone thingies!"

Pino is the perfect example of how "inexpensive" does not equal "cheap" or poor quality. I think PS is even better than the other pine scent I like, Epicea by Creed. I like the Pino better because it's richer and has much better longevity than the Creed.
    Last edited by shamu1; 11th August 2009 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Shamu .. I can't help you with any background info , but good to see another admirer of this classic ...
    Still seems to be more haters than lovers of PS at this stage ...
    Pino is amongst the most masculine & rugged colognes available & green it is .
    Many modern frags use the word black ! ahh ,, their friggin *pink * , Pino is black !!
    Masculine and rugged, yes. But also rich and elegant.

Are there really a lot of Pino haters on BN? I don't understand why. Just because it's inexpensive? I read in another thread today something about how native-born Italians refer to Pino Silvestre as an "immigrant fragrance". What the hell is that supposed to mean?!

I love Pino Silvestre and I can't add more to the subject than perfaddict. Only the notes (according to scentdirect.com):

Top: Basil oil, Bergamot oil, Juniperberry, Lavender, Lemon,
    Middle: Carnation, Clary Sage oil, Geranium, Pine Needle, Thyme,
    Base: Amber, Cedarwood oil, Musk, Tonka, Treemoss

I'm in a cedarwood phase right now and I remember Pino having a beautiful cedar note in the base. Also, the pine note and green notes are stunning. Great choice!
    ~ Anais ~

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Masculine and rugged, yes. But also rich and elegant.

Are there really a lot of Pino haters on BN? I don't understand why. Just because it's inexpensive? I read in another thread today something about how native-born Italians refer to Pino Silvestre as an "immigrant fragrance". What the hell is that supposed to mean?!
    They mean it's not "Mediterranean" enough for their tastes and that it's popular here in the states and worn by American Italians like myself.

Good green frag for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    They mean it's not "Mediterranean" enough for their tastes and that it's popular here in the states and worn by American Italians like myself.

Interesting. Despite not being Mediterranean enough for some native Italians, do you know if it otherwise sells well in Italy? I read on the box that this is still being made in Venice.

(Looks like I'm hi-jacking my own thread)

AromiErotici

Interesting. Despite not being Mediterranean enough for some native Italians, do you know if it otherwise sells well in Italy? I read on the box that this is still being made in Venice.

(Looks like I'm hi-jacking my own thread)
    I wouldn't know if it's a big seller there, but it stands to reason it's more popular here in the USA. People here prefer more eclectic juice. Members are a testament to that fact. I would think it sells some, but without the overseas market, it would crash and burn.

This is only an opinion however.

When I was in Rome, the leading inexpensive brand line was Victor. But I did see Pino on display in several shops.
    And yes, I really do buy Pino at the Italian deli, there are sizable Italian communities in Edmonton and Calgary and there are great deli's in each city. Also Pro Raso shaving products which are very good quality and Malizia Vetiver line of products.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 11th August 2009 at 04:05 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I decided to get it
    i found that in your sentence
    get some & join the club !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I first met this one a long time ago. I can't even tell you exactly when, but I know it came to California with me when I moved here from New York in 1979. It's a classic, but also very much a product of its time. It's not very often in my rotation, but thanks for bringing it up. I should wear it again soon!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 11th August 2009 at 08:50 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I can get the EDT, aftershave, bar soap, foam bath, and shower gel.
    Odysseusm, about the after shave, does it come in balm form or lotion? I tend to stay away from aftershave lotions because of the big alcohol content, which dries skin.
    Last edited by shamu1; 11th August 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Odysseusm, about the after shave, does it come in balm form or lotion? I tend to stay away from aftershave lotions because of the big alcohol content, which dries skin.
    Hi there. That is a good question, I like balm/lotion myself after shaving. To my knowledge, no, there is only an alcohol-based aftershave. Here as in many cases I just use an unscented balm and then apply the scent later.
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post

Just as an aside, I just got in the mail today my bottle of Fifty by Pino Silvestre (only $12 for 2.6 oz., and free shipping!), and IMO it is definitely a very "Mediterranean" styled fragrance. In a nutshell, it's like an orange patchouli scent, both citrusy and quite spicy. Very good indeed.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    i found that in your sentence
    get some & join the club !
    Yep! just joined the club! bought a bottle.

First impression: Beautiful!

Next impression: Was this scent one of the templates for Halston's I-12?

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Yep! just joined the club! bought a bottle.

First impression: Beautiful!

Next impression: Was this scent one of the templates for Halston's I-12?
    Welcome to the club, perfaddict! It is a beautiful scent. Makes you just want to spray it all over and breathe in deeply.

Gotta love that cool glass pine cone bottle too!

Before yesterday, I had sampled PS by spraying it on my arm and smelling it during the day, and I loved it. Yesterday was the first day I actually "wore" it for the day (sprayed it on all over before leaving the house in the morning). I still think it's a great scent, but I smelled a sulfur-like note in there, almost like a hard-boiled egg, mixed in with the pine. Have any of you noticed this or am I out of my mind?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

...but I smelled a sulfur-like note in there, almost like a hard-boiled egg, mixed in with the pine. Have any of you noticed this or am I out of my mind?
    Your impressions actually make PS more intriguing!

Read the earlier neutral and negative reviews. The reviewers must have picked up the definitely dirty aspect of PS. I cannot wait to get back to my tropical home country where i have found out that scents really come on song due to the balmy heat.

#BBOG!

Great discussion.
    The sulphur note -- I know what you mean, that struck me in my early days of wearing it. I think that is a combination of the various herbal elements. I'm used to it now. At first I found PS a bit challenging. I apply it in a couple of spritzes and it now seems fine to me.
    About PS as a template for Halston's 1-12... a very cautious maybe, IMO. I think any similarity may simply due to the herbal notes and perhaps the galbanum.
    odysseusm

Great discussion.
    The sulphur note -- I know what you mean, that struck me in my early days of wearing it. I think that is a combination of the various herbal elements. I'm used to it now. At first I found PS a bit challenging. I apply it in a couple of spritzes and it now seems fine to me.
    About PS as a template for Halston's 1-12... a very cautious maybe, IMO. I think any similarity may simply due to the herbal notes and perhaps the galbanum.
    For me, the "greenness" of Halston 1-12 moves into in a smoothe orange slightly floral/smoky. There are less edges than in PS in its opening, with the citrus in PS more clearly lemon. There is in the devlopment of 1-12 a move to a more nuanced drydown more quickly, but in PS a fair assertion of pine now as resinous in the drydown, and the "incense" perception is fair. I think PS retains more of its lavander sense also in its development, in a sense more "refreshing?"?

Halston 1-12 for me is a great rediscovery which may or may not qualify me for club membership, and with the pine in the middle, wih its own slightly offputting phase, a brief one, I love its drydown at times seems very "everyday," at others, a more contemp club scent, at others, in some of its restrained smokiness, almost an atheletic slightly spiced sport scent/talc...

Structurally the 2 scents and functionally...I'm with you maybe in the direction of I don't think so...

It's arguable that PS is a more complete scent...whatever your opinion of it.

Great discussion.
    Odysseusm, I don't know how often you wear Pino, but do you think maybe you've developed olfactory fatigue to the boiled egg note? This brings up my next question: have you ever asked if others can smell that sulfur note? The reason I ask is because although I really like PS, I did find that egg note a bit unpleasant and made it smell a bit cheap during the first couple of hours. I'm sure I can get used to it, but I don't know if others will. I've asked my wife about it, and she thinks its not an appropriate scent for summertime (I disagree with her); she thought it smelled a little "cheap" when I asked her yesterday, but didn't say anything about a sulfur note. Although I wear fragrances primarily for my own enjoyment, I do care something about whether or not others are offended by what I'm wearing.

Do you find PS is better in certain types of weather or season?

I don't wear PS all that often, perhaps once a month. I have so many scents old and new to work into the rotation!
    So I don't think I have olfactory fatigue for it. I might as well mention a similar, arguably a bit more complex scent -- Eau de 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane en Provence. It is quite similar, but perhaps a bit more "refined" in presentation. Both are worthy scents. 4 Voleurs is a bit hard to find. It has been discontinued in North America but is still available in the UK.
    odysseusm

I don't wear PS all that often, perhaps once a month. I have so many scents old and new to work into the rotation!
    So I don't think I have olfactory fatigue for it. I might as well mention a similar, arguably a bit more complex scent -- Eau de 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane en Provence. It is quite similar, but perhaps a bit more "refined" in presentation. Both are worthy scents. 4 Voleurs is a bit hard to find. It has been discontinued in North America but is still available in the UK.
    To be frank, I wear Agua Brava. The woman in my office one day exlaimed, "Oh, you've got on Pino Silvestre. I love that stuff."

I like Pino, the pine note is refreshing and invigorating and it offers so much quality for a low price.

In fact, pine is a note that I really enjoy, I have tried many others - Yatagan (magnificent, pine very prominent), Quorum (deifinite pine, but can be lost in myriad of other notes) or even Polo (great memories of this, but tried recently in shop and seemed weaker and lasted far less time).

Is Pino the best representation of pine or what is the definitive pine fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy97 View Post
    I like Pino, the pine note is refreshing and invigorating and it offers so much quality for a low price.

In fact, pine is a note that I really enjoy, I have tried many others - Yatagan (magnificent, pine very prominent), Quorum (deifinite pine, but can be lost in myriad of other notes) or even Polo (great memories of this, but tried recently in shop and seemed weaker and lasted far less time).

Is Pino the best representation of pine or what is the definitive pine fragrance?
    I'm no expert on pine scents, but yes, I think Pino Silvestre is the definitive pine scent. It's the cleanest, freshest pine scent I have yet to come across. A close second IMO would be Epicea by Creed. I agree Polo is a good pine scent, but personally I wear it because I love it's patchouli- prominent drydown, not for its pine needle top notes. Yatagan is one of my favorite scents, but the pine notes don't smell very prominent to my nose, kiind of like it's submerged in the scent. Haven't smelled Quorum in years. I haven't tried Agua Brava or Acqua di Selva yet, which are often cited as excellent pine scents.

"The Ultimate Pine Scent" -- what a concept!
    Since I'm obsessed with pine, I find I have trouble answering that in a single way.
    PS is very good, and yet I'd say that 4 Voleurs has a bit more complexity and refinement in a pine-herbal sort of way.
    Epicea is a great pine scent, but a smoky-campfire sort of scent.
    Zagorsk by CdG has a cool pine/birch vibe.
    Yatagan is really good, but Elogie du Traitre by Etat Libre D'Orange is similar and bit greener and more piney.
    Often, I find that Fou D'Absinthe actually delivers the most amazing warm pine note. To me it is an absolutely delightful pine scent. If pressed, I'd probably say that was the best one I've found so far.
    PS -- Acqua di Selva (for me) is a mossy scent rather than a pine scent.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 13th August 2009 at 05:03 AM.
    odysseusm

I would definitely defer to Odysseusm as the authority on pine scents! I'll have to try the 4 Voleurs from L'Occitane, and I'm sure it's a lot less expensive than the niche frags that are mentioned.

P.S. Still having no luck finding anything on Lino Vidal, Pino's creator
    Last edited by shamu1; 13th August 2009 at 01:22 PM.

If anyone is interested t didn't take too long for me to get used to the sulfur/egg note in Pino Silvestre that I mentioned a few days ago. I wore it last night, longevity was good (about 6 hours), and I no longer could smell that unpleasant note. Neither my wife nor my kids said anything about it either (though my 8 year old son said, "You smell good. Are you wearing peppermint perfume?") As one can see from my new avatar, I am really loving this scent!