Code of Conduct

Default Mark Buxton's Line now at LuckyScent

I've been interested in these for a while. I know they've been out for a while any opinions on them?

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/categ...rk_Buxton.html
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Mark Buxton's Line now at LuckyScent

If they do a sample pack, I'd like to give it a go.

They sound so interesting. I really like the colour concept and how they integrated that idea into scents.

They all sound like masculines, except for Sound & Visions which intrigues me. Not loving the bottles. Thinking this line is aimed at men. Or minimalists

Sounds interesting, have anyone tried this line?

Yea, I read that he was trying to incorporate the whole connection between color and smell. It's a really interesting concept and one I personally believe in (look at my sig ).
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

i am ordering some samples as i type this....i will give a small review of these frangrances....

Wood & Absinth sounds very good to me.
    ~ Anais ~

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post
    Wood & Absinth sounds very good to me.
    yes it does....it is going to one of many many samples...

I can only highly recommend this line, its high quality niche stuff which i'm lucky to have access to in my favourite perfume shop in berlin (thedifferentscent).
    I have been repeatedly sampling the lot and find myself most intrigued by Hot Leather and Around Midnight but that might be due to my current preferences.

I am not familiar with Mark Buxton. What nationality is he, and can anyone who is familiar with his line or has purchased his scents tell me where they are made or hail from?

He made one of my all-time favorites, the original CdG EdP, but I tried some of his stuff for bhiel and was underwhelmed

Most of the reviews said the house's releases are a crappy afterthought. Wouldn't stop me from sampling though!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I am not familiar with Mark Buxton. What nationality is he, and can anyone who is familiar with his line or has purchased his scents tell me where they are made or hail from?
    Marc Buxton is an extremely talented "nez". He is a German-Briton who lives in Paris, and is known mostly for the scents that he has composed for "Comme des Garcons", "Givenchy" and "biehl parfumkunstwerke" amongst others. He has more than 30 perfumes out ...

So I am expecting his own line of scents to be just outstanding !

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I can only highly recommend this line, its high quality niche stuff which i'm lucky to have access to in my favourite perfume shop in berlin (thedifferentscent).
    I have been repeatedly sampling the lot and find myself most intrigued by Hot Leather and Around Midnight but that might be due to my current preferences.
    I do agree with you. Hot Leather is a masterpiece, while Around Midnight seems to be quite similar to Buxtons Biehl's MB03. Nice anyway.

I tried these a couple of weeks ago here in Copenhagen.

The idea is that youre supposed to choose a colour that appeals to you, and the fragrance is supposedly going to suit your taste as well.
    I chose the green - Wood &Absinth, and adored it. Unfortunately I found them very overpriced.
    The downside is that several of these scents are copies of others! Hot Leather is the twin of Cuir Amethyste! (Don't say I didnt warn you kids!)
    Black Angel was also strongly reminiscent of something else I couldn't pinpoint at the time. Shame Mark, shame!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 12th August 2009 at 09:02 PM.

Unlike the previous poster, I think the bottles are incredible.

Would love to sample some of these...a sample kit would be awesome.

Regarding the price, they seem to be the going rate for niche frags--cheaper than some, more expensive than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Unlike the previous poster, I think the bottles are incredible.

Would love to sample some of these...a sample kit would be awesome.

Regarding the price, they seem to be the going rate for niche frags--cheaper than some, more expensive than others.
    Not sure which part of my previous post mentions I didn't like the bottles (?), but then again, I haven't had my first cup of coffee of the day yet. Perhaps Im missing something.

As to price, here in Denmark they retail for 1180 DKK (or $225 USD). For what they are: rather pricey, to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I chose the green - Wood &Absinth, and adored it.!
    Any further thoughts on this one, Dimitri (or anyone)? I'm a fan of Fou d'Absinthe and this one jumped out as potentially my kind of thing.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 13th August 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Count me in as a fan of Marc Buxtons work and this line looks great.

The ones that are in my drobe from him are Vetiver46 (Le Labo) which I love, and Jil Sander 79 Man, which is not as good as Vetiver 46, but still a nice rework of the original one,(if not an improvement).

I emailed them a while ago and they offered to send a batch of samples to my house free of charge as soon as they get their new subsidiary of orders. Try to contact them through the main site and you may get lucky.

http://www.markbuxton.com/
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 13th August 2009 at 12:37 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I've tried most of this line except for English Breakfast and Sounds and Visions. The ones that stood out for me were Hot Leather, Wood and Absinth, and Around Midnight. I agree with Dimitri that Hot Leather (a misleading name I think) is a dead ringer for Cuir Amethyste, enough for Luca Turin to pan it in the last newsletter. Wood and Absinth reminded me a little of Armand Basi Homme but with a floral note thrown in and lighter. Around Midnight reminded me of Buxton's other work MB03 and worth trying if you are an incense fan. I bought a full bottle of Hot Leather when FIF sent me my birthday voucher. Now that Luckscent is selling them cheaper I will take another look at Wood and Absinth and those I never got around to trying before LS probably puts the price up. Here are some older threads where they were discussed:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=217540

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=220565

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Not sure which part of my previous post mentions I didn't like the bottles (?), but then again, I haven't had my first cup of coffee of the day yet. Perhaps Im missing something.

As to price, here in Denmark they retail for 1180 DKK (or $225 USD). For what they are: rather pricey, to my mind.
    Dimi, that's really expensive. Even the notoriously overpriced Luckyscent has it for cheaper. At LS they are going for $140 USD/ 729 DKK.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th August 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Sorry,my mistake, Dimitri, I was referring to another poster.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Dimi, that's really expensive. Even the notoriously overpriced Luckyscent has it for cheaper. At LS they are going for $140 USD/ 729 DKK.
    Jeez! The mark up here is staggering then! At that price I would possibly consider a Wood & Absinthe purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Sorry,my mistake, Dimitri, I was referring to another poster.
    No worries, Butthead

The Guide newsletter slammed this line hard, but I may order a sample set just out of curiosity.
    -