Code of Conduct

Question French guy looking for a nice perfume/cologne in the US

Hello everybody!
    I'm a french guy going on a holiday trip to NY, and since I'm a newcomer to the wonderful world of scents and perfumes, I would like to get some advice from american guys regarding a choice of perfume...

Well, you may be asking yourself, "why is he asking us? Isn't France supposed to be the country of perfumers"?? You're right... But I'm looking for something different, not the average "mainstream" YSL, Dior, Chanel, Givenchy, Diesel or Armani stuff, since I consider a cologne a part of someone's identity, and I certainly don't want to smell like every man I meet.. It may sound "snobish", but still i'm pretty sure a lot of you understand my point.. So I'm going for a change and I would try a real nice US branded cologne

So since I'm going to stay in NY for 4 days only, I can describe myself, to give you an idea of what can suit me best:
    - I'm 25 years old, sporty, artist (music and painting)
    - I love partying and clubbing, I'm communicative especially when it comes to girls)
    - I have a "strong" body odor ( not is a "smelly way" but my ex-girlfriend told I have a strong body odor...)

So I dont know if I'd rather go for a more "musky" or "citrus" smell... What Do you think?

So if you have any suggestions (maybe 2 or 3 fragrances), let me know, you'll make my trip to the USA even better

(Excuse my english... Hope my stay in NY will help )

Default Re: French guy looking for a nice perfume/cologne in the US

Tom Ford Private Blend and welcome to the U.S.
    Last edited by Pug911; 11th August 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How much would you like to spend, ideally?

Post Thanks / Like

CB I Hate Perfume, S-Perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think it's great that you want to try out what we have here while you're here. I would suggest that you try out the original Tommy Bahama fragrance and some Caswell-Massey colognes, but the truth is that the US really has no great perfumers. (Ready for stuff to be thrown at me here.) I suggest you just enjoy being a 25-year-old "strong body odored" Frenchman. I suspect that will serve you well over here with anyone you'd find interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're going to be in NYC, how about an NYC-branded fragrance? Maybe Bond No.9 has something you'd like.

I'm planning to visit their boutique this weekend, in fact.
    Last edited by andylama; 11th August 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather
    Bond no. 9 - Riverside Drive
    DS and Durga - $

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on all the above, and adding Le Labo to the to-visit list.

Check out Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts, the perfect summertime frag

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rockerfeller! Great name, and your English is perfect! Beaucoups meilleur que mon Francais, je crains...

You didn't say whether you want to buy the fragrance before or after you arrive. Either way, I second the suggestion that you visit Le Labo. It's in a trendy area near NYU that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Also stop by Aedes de Venustas. Between those two shops, I'm sure you'll find something that is both suited to you and quite non-mainstream.

I also like the suggestion for Tuscan Leather, or any others in the Tom Ford line. They're available at Bergdorf Goodman near Central Park.

Have a nice trip!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille and Black Orchid if you don't mind heavy hitters.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

Go visit the Le Labo store! Its great stuff.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm dont think that most of the above-mentioned fragrances are made in the United States, except for Caswell-Massey, CB I Hate Perfume, and maybe Tommy Bahama (although there is no specific manufacturing origin noted on the bottle or box). Are Bond fragrances made in the United States? I would be surprised if they were.

The fragrances that I know of that are made in the United States are those from Calvin Klein, Geoffrey Beene, Kenneth Cole, Nautica, and maybe Liz Claiborne, but they are all mainstream fragrances that you probably already know.

One American fragrance that I really like is Carlos Santana, which is made in the United States by a company in New Jersey. I just love that!

There is a company called The Goth Rosary in Seattle that makes fragrances, but I doubt that you'd find them in New York.

Gotta love US-made fragrances!

Post Thanks / Like

Aramis is a an American brand isn't it? They're rereleasing Havana, New West. Tuscany and a few others aren't they? Those would be good choices

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone mention Le Labo ?

Seriously, it's great. Try the Vetiver 46 and Rose 31

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    I'm dont think that most of the above-mentioned fragrances are made in the United States, except for Caswell-Massey, CB I Hate Perfume, and maybe Tommy Bahama (although there is no specific manufacturing origin noted on the bottle or box). Are Bond fragrances made in the United States? I would be surprised if they were.

The fragrances that I know of that are made in the United States are those from Calvin Klein, Geoffrey Beene, Kenneth Cole, Nautica, and maybe Liz Claiborne, but they are all mainstream fragrances that you probably already know.

One American fragrance that I really like is Carlos Santana, which is made in the United States by a company in New Jersey. I just love that!

There is a company called The Goth Rosary in Seattle that makes fragrances, but I doubt that you'd find them in New York.

Gotta love US-made fragrances!
    U.S. brands is what he's asking, not if they're made in the U.S. But I do see your point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pug911 View Post
    U.S. brands is what he's asking, not if they're made in the U.S. But I do see your point.
    Glad you see my point. What's the point of a US brand if it's not made in the United States? If it's a US brand, then it should truly be a US brand!

I realize that it's difficult to find US-brand products that are actually made in the United States these days, but I keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Aramis is a an American brand isn't it? They're rereleasing Havana, New West. Tuscany and a few others aren't they? Those would be good choices
    Actually, I think Aramis frags are pretty easily accessible and popular in France. Aramis have great frags but I don't know if a 25 year old would like them.

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille is definitely worth checking out as is the Oud & Leather. Again I think TF gets good distribution in France.

Strange so many mentions of Le Labo (whom I find overrated and their faux French attitude irritating). Hate to break it to you, but Collete carries their juice in Paris.

Can't really recommend any US-based fragrances.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    How much would you like to spend, ideally?
    Oh, thanx, I forgot about that one... Ideally, something between 50 and 100 dollars, for fair quality and quite long lasting sent

By the way, thanks for your suggestions so far, you guys are so nice

If you have some more, let me know (idealy a list of the "3 best" US perfumes according to you)

And still, what about the type of scent I should go for, regarding "my strong odered" personality? A "citrus-oriented" one or a rather "musky" one?
    Last edited by Rockerfeller; 13th August 2009 at 05:37 PM.

You keep mentioning strong body odor, so it must be a pretty big problem for you and with your modest budget, I suggest you use something like Dial's Magnetic Attraction Enhancing Body Wash, and then splash Brut all over your body (very American and very original). This should clean up your body odor and gives you a clean feeling instead of just covering it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerfeller View Post

And still, what about the type of scent I should go for, regarding "my strong odered" personality? A "citrus-oriented" one or a rather "musky" one?
    I would suggest to you Kiehl's Original Musk. The oil is the best but the EdT is not bad either! I really love this fragrance on a man (and it smells nice on a woman too!). I think it is an American fragrance - and it's been compared quite well to Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan. I'm not sure where to buy it in NYC, but I think there is one place called Bigelow Pharmacy that might carry it.

Edit: Actually I completely forgot that Kiehl's has a store right in city center:
    109 Third Avenue
    Between 13th & 14th Streets
    Last edited by MashaL; 13th August 2009 at 06:53 PM.

Heeeeelp!!
    I can't find the Tommy Bahama Perfume nowhere in New York... Almost everybody seem to like and approve it, and l've seen it getting positive feedback ... Does anybody have an adress?

Definitely Bond No 9 if you are in New York! You should visit their store on Bond St. They are always really helpful and even will create custom blends for you. My favorites are Bleecker St, Coney Island, and Wall St... check it out and enjoy your stay in New York!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm I'm really trying to think of unique American fragrances that are within the $50-100 price range...and there aren't many.

Le Labo, Bond no. 9, and Tom Ford are good suggestions, but pricey in most cases.

Keihls Musk is a good idea, but I'm not sure if it will appeal to a newcomer. It is rather stinky.

This is a pretty difficult question, actually.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

American designer Donna Karan has some nice fragrances: http://www.donnakaranbeauty.com/temp...=CATEGORY20862
    DK Essence in Labdamun, Wenge, Lavender are stunning on men and can be layered to personalize your fragrance even more. You can try them at Neiman Marcus.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Tiffany for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerfeller View Post
    Heeeeelp!!
    I can't find the Tommy Bahama Perfume nowhere in New York... Almost everybody seem to like and approve it, and l've seen it getting positive feedback ... Does anybody have an adress?
    Macy's carries Tommy Bahama products. You should be able to find the entire fragrance range at one the larger stores.

TB also finds its way into TJMaxx and Marshalls quite often.

paco rabanne black xs is a really nice frag that might be what your looking for. easy enough to find in stores but mainstream doesnt really know about it

IF you want something truly American and unique that I guarantee nobody in France will be wearing, check out DS and Durga, I believe they're based in NYC and have at least 8 stores that carry their fragrances there. http://dsanddurga.com/

Although they may not be the best simple good smelling 25 year old type.

In which Case I make my case for Bond No9 I'd recommend Wall Street, one of my all time favorites, a very nice aquatic fresh aromatic good smelling scent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballplayer7373 View Post
    IF you want something truly American and unique that I guarantee nobody in France will be wearing, check out DS and Durga, I believe they're based in NYC and have at least 8 stores that carry their fragrances there. http://dsanddurga.com/
    You said EXACTLY what I was thinking. It's a cool brand only available in New York and only found in hip boutiques. They're a little weird, but very cool and different. Check out Coriander for a sweet, spicy wood scent. I got mine at a little store called In God We Trust, which is a only a block or two away from Le Labo.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like

The Tommy Bahama scent is sold at Sephora on 5th ave. Bonne chance et passez de bonnes vacances!
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source