Code of Conduct

Default SotD Wednesday 12 August-09

No sotd thread yet?!! Well,guess I should start one myself then Today is a grey and cloudy day.It was hard getting up,but trying to wake up properly by the sound of The Damned.I'm scentless so far today,but plan to wear Crystal Noir. Enjoy your day all!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 12th August 2009 at 11:21 AM.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Wednesday 12 August-09

PIERRE BOURDON'S the superb FRENCH LOVER

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

Default Re: SotD Wednesday 12 August-09

My SOTD is Halston Man (from a sample). I am really liking this one!

Notes include citruses, artemisia, passionfruit, lavender, mint, cardamom, patchouli, labdanum and musk.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Looking for something sweet today and I found it.

L’Occitane Honey & Lemon (Miel et Citron)

L’Occitane is one of those Houses that I hae really come to appreciate. They do nice quality scents at reasonable prices. A colognoisseur could do much worse than to have a wardrobe stocked with the offerings from L’Occitane. One of my favorites from L’Occitane is the 2007 release Honey & Lemon (Miel et Citron). L’Occitane once again manages to pull off an excellent approximation of a much more expensive scent at a much lower price. Honey & Lemon is a full-on gourmand and while the titular notes are present there is also some other notes which really give a rich feel to this scent. The top is the promised lemon but also there is some other citrus, mostly orange, there so while there is the tartness of lemon it is lightened up by the presence of the orange. Next up is the honey and this is a beautiful sweet honey accord that seems to have a thickness to it that other honey accords have not had, on me, in the past. It is joined by a caramel note which might lead one to think that the addition of another sweet note is gilding the sweetness lily a bit. In this case the caramel does firmly land the heart in cavity-inducing territory but it makes it a rich guilty pleasure instead of the kind of sweetness that gives you stomach cramps or, perhaps in this case, nose cramps? After such a sweet middle phase Honey & Lemon pulls back a bit as vanilla and patchouli finish this scent off, in the base. This allows the vanilla to be sweet but not as sweet as the two notes in the heart and the patchouli brings some needed contrast to nicely round this out. The only drawback to the L’Occitane family of scents is their longevity and Honey & Lemon has the same issue as it makes it through a normal work day for me but not much longer than that. The projection is modest and as stated before the price is low. I wonder if this was presented in a blind sniff with other much higher priced gourmands, how it would fare? My guess is it would hold its own and might even win.

Have a Worthy Wednesday everyone
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Dependent

My SotE is:

Serge Lutens
    Santal Blanc

Notes: White sandalwood, fenugreek, pink pepper, cinnamon, rose, jasmine, orris root, musk, benzoin, copaiba balsam

I'm wearing Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps this morning, and I'm mourning the old full fat formulation.

This pleasant, lite version doesn't hold a candle to the old juice from days gone by. Oh well. No whining allowed in this house!

Have a good day everybody.

p.s. Just saw on the Google banner that the Perseid meteor shower is here. Don't forget to watch if you can, you won't be sorry.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 12th August 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Nu by YSL.
    Perfect.
    But I'm starting to crave "weird" - frags such as Tar or Garage or Odeur 53. Or maybe something from Demeter or CB IHP?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

I'm in the divine APRES L'ONDEE again

Caron Eau de Reglisse here now that it is hot!

Tomorrow we will have a potluck dinner for the residents of the facility where I work -- Assisted Living program -- all staff will bring a dish or two from home, I am going with Rigatoni Canzoni (baked pasta with roasted red peppers, black olives, garlic, parsley and tons of cheese), Carrot salad (my mandoline will take care of that, plus ground coriander) and a big pitcher of iced Peach Tea (might be of help too!).

Annick Goutal's Songes for me this morning. Now I'm off in search of caffeine so I can form more coherent thought other than "niiiiiice".

Cornubia, oriental bubblegum
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Back in Bogart Furyo this AM. This is an animalic of the first magnitude! Whoa...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

smells very similar to rive gauche... to my nose anyway. for some reason, it makes me lazy, I haven't even showered today. =/

Wednesday, 8:31 pm.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Bois de Violette today. Just gorgeous.

Champs Elysees
    13 hours and still going strong. Oh, how I love this one.

Phylosykos The Perfect

Versense de Versace here.
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

Amouage - Lyric

Strip! by Agent Provacateur - just because.

Basenotes Institution

Hello and morning everyone !
    This morning , it's a few dabs of Youth Dew Motor Oil aka extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Azzaro pour Homme

Another from the attic: Borghese Il Bacio.

Il Bacio is noteworthy for two things: It prefigured fruity-florals like Badgley Mischka while paying dues to Balenciaga Rumba, and it appears to have most of its florals in the top. As part of a tradition of sunstruck perfumes of the late 20th century, it contained glints and beams of brilliance before developing a soapy core of melons and peaches. The impression that the florals are set high is incorrect. As the scent develops it appears that both jasmine and honeysuckle are masquerading as fruit. It's very lathery on me in the center, making me wonder about orange blossom. Musk in the base is stronger than sandalwood/amber, although a cool metallic amber is somewhat noticeable.

Although the term wasn't in use when Il Bacio was released, "clean" comes to mind. Because of this, Il Bacio does not smell dated. It is more developed than today's "clean" fragrances, but it isn't out of step with them. The difference is that Il Bacio doesn't require the fruits and florals to appear only as hygienic versions of themselves. For this it is worth trying.
    Last edited by Orion; 12th August 2009 at 02:17 PM.

sotd:
    Puro Lino

Basenotes Institution

Equipage by Hermes (first time from a decant - thanks AromiErotici)

This has everything that I like about subtle French masculine fragrances - a quiet deepness that shows it's true skill and craft in tiny little details: the spicy carnation that lingers in the air, the nutty wood facet, an air of thrift-store elegance and old world charm. Sorry for getting so poetic, but this is charming and plushly romantic juice.

I think I am going to need a full bottle of this one.

Ah, Twolfie...FEED ME, too !
    A terrific, bang-up menu, my friend ;-)

Musse- kisses to you.

Coconut- I twinned you, yesterday...it was glorious.
    SMM- great review yesterday- you smell edible , today !
    Therese- I keep forgetting to wear mine, LOL !

Wore White Aoud to bed last night- and I nearly suffocated myself, LOL.
    Today- AG Musc Nomade, w/ Tocade- much better.

Trying to get out birthday packages [ some will be late, alas !] and such.
    Saw the wonderful Venetian exhibit at the MFA yesterday, w/ J-
    It goes to Paris, next.

love to you all- be well and loved.

Basenotes Plus

Twolfie, those dishes of yours sound scrumptious!

Chaya, how lovely that you and J got to see that exhibit. Give him a smooch for me.
    I was thisclose to partially twinning you in Musc Nomade today but went with Parfums de Nicolai Maharadjah instead. I have you to thank for turning me on to this intoxicating, addictive scent.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Mike, I found Equipage to be excellent also--so classic but not dated, and not ruined by the last reformulation!

Today is my long day--SotD is Profumo's Hindu Kush.

A sunny day in Norway
    I'm in Iris Nobile Edp
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

I am wearing Sandringham today. In my garconne mode today! I never thought this scent would work so well on me. The muguet really stays in my skin!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Fraternal twins with SMM, as I sample L'Occitane Honey & Lemon Shimmering EDT, the 2009 release. I really like this (took me quite a while to come back to honey scents after the horror that is Miel de Bois).

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    p.s. Just saw on the Google banner that the Perseid meteor shower is here. Don't forget to watch if you can, you won't be sorry.
    I caught sight of some meteors in the wee small hours of the morning.

Andrienne Vittadini

Today I am wearing PG Brulure de Rose on my upper reaches, and arms are besplattered with:

Costume National (very nice - reminiscent of 21, but not as cool and anisic - prefer this a lot more)

Costume National Scent Gloss (forgettable fruity floral)

Jean Patou Vacances (mysterious green scent - wonderful!)

Antonia's Flowers Tiempe Passat (the notes of this sound lovely but in reality it doesn't really smell of much)

Daim Blond (not good on me - sweaty shoes type of suede)

PG Cuir Venenum (dark and musty manly - this might be better in winter)

Keiko Mecheri Mihime (the sort of powdery floral that doesn't move me, and I do like them as a rule - there are a few KMs with a strangely discordant note in them, and this is no exception, but don't ask me what it is!)
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Ooooo, Ms. Twolf, you may get a gate-crasher (namely me!) at your potluck... The baked pasta dish sounds glorious, and the Peach Iced Tea! YUM.

Today I'm savoring my sample from a very generous BNer of Richard James EDT. Somehow I never expected fragrances with leather and tobacco notes to work so well in the heat and humidity. Happy to learn I've been mistaken all this time! RJ on me is a mid-weight fragrance, shadow-dappled and spicy. On my skin it doesn't make one fall into the depths of the notes (I'd originally only seen five listed - suede, Indian sandalwood, tobacco absolute, musk, and oak moss.- and thought "elegant simplicity!" Oops.) But it doesn't feel cluttered at all, possibly because I don't get *any* of the floral notes other than lavender, it just smells goooooooood.

Top Notes : Clean Starched Shirt Acccord, Italian Bergamot, Mandarin, Fresh Chinese Ginger, Living Green Tea Leaves, Petigrain Citronnier, Tunisian Rosemary, Egyptian Basil.

Middle Notes: Evening Dew Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Morocan Rose, Guatemalan Cardamom, Coriander Seed Oils, Lavender Absolute.

Base Notes: Soft Suede Accord, Indonesian Patchouli, Tobacco Absolute, Amber, Haitian Vetyver, Darjeeling Tea.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 12th August 2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: discovered several dozen missing notes!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Tom Ford Moss Breches today.

I'm trying Balmain Vent Vert for the first time. This mini I got is the 1980's version, I believe. I'm enjoying it so far!

Mike, your description of Equipage caught my attention. Sounds great!

Running a tad late this morning so I grabbed Orazuli which I love and get compliments on.

Heeley Iris de Nuit -- nice iris, but nothing groundbreaking
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Haven't been keeping up with the SotD thread as much as I would have liked to. I've been a little ill as of late. Nothing serious, just a little fever, sore throat and generally exhausted (been suffering from insomnia).

I spritzed some Nu EdP this morning (courtesy of the loevely Wordbird) making me scent twin with Darwina.

I hope everyone is doing fine. Hugs to those who need them.
    Last edited by potiron; 12th August 2009 at 05:40 PM.

PDN Sacre Bleu this morning.

Darwinia, love the Dune ref. My fav book in high school. Love Frank Herbert.

Watching lots of old movies lately, just got a great pre-code Hollywood collection. Art deco and risque plots!!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    ... (took me quite a while to come back to honey scents after the horror that is Miel de Bois).

'the horror' is right! Some of us will NEVER recover!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

How unlikely is this!!!

First SMM and then Tang and now moi!!.

On me the shimmrey is all about lemon and lightweight honey (think I posted a link to the artisanal site and the exact honey ...http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...prrfnbr=966211 first time I wore this) - and that's it. Aside from being softly pretty scent, MandC makes me think of the hot lemon juice laced with honey that Gran'mama doled out for almost any ailment. A nice memory.

Wolfie...what a loving feast you've prepared for your charges. You such a S T A R!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    [CENTER]How unlikely is this!!!

First SMM and then Tang and now moi!!
    I feel like the proverbial thorn between two roses.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

28 La Pausa, today.

I love it, it smells like summer to me.

SotD: Prada Infusion d'Iris

Works like a charm to help me feel a little more elegant than this combination of humidity & broken a/c would allow for most mortals...

Today I'm testing Narcisse Noir for the first time.

Caron catches all kinds of hekk for reformulating to death and calling it the same thing. If Narcisse Noir and Tabac Blond are anything like Bellodgia, then they smell absolutely nothing like their originals, and to lots of people, the new ones are nowhere as good. So after having tried reform TB and loving it, in its edp concentration no less, and now NN in its dark, soapy, grape-y glory, and preferring new Bellodgia to vintage, I have my own 'unpopular opinion about cologne' (since that thread is now closed). Here goes.
    Reformulated Caron is really tasty.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 12th August 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling :D

Hey SunnyFunny - you're allowed to like the new stuff!
    I love what the Perfume Posse girls say - "perfume is like playing Barbies: there are no rules".

I haven't tried the L'Occitane H&L but now I'm very tempted to give it a sniff.

I had an appointment to see the ear doctor today, meaning a pretty close encounter, so I wore the very simple, short-lived Hei Poa Frangipanier, which does exactly what it says on the tin. It smells like frangipani, but it moves along very quickly and fades down to be a perfectly nice and polite exotic white floral.

After my appointment (got the all-clear after last week's truly dreadful ear infection that took in my whole right side from crown of head to armpit and required antibiotics), I did a little sniffing around town. I tried the new Creed feminine - Fiorentina something? - and was unimpressed. It wasn't dreadful, but it wasn't great. I'm probably being too harsh, but in a blind test I'd say this was a standard celebuscsent or trendything. I am always loking for a feminine Creed that I can love, but I have yet to encounter it. (I'm quote fond of some of the masculines and adore Virgin Island Water.)

Anyway, I also tried Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta (spelling?) and oh baby is that stuff good!!! Elegant, refreshing and suprisingly long-lasting because I can still just about smell the base on my wrist now, 8 hours later.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Good evening all

Potiron, i hope you will be feeling better soon, take care of yourself.

Chaya, i am so happy you and J had a great time, you need more times like that.

Twolfie, i wish i was eating chez-toi, it all sounds so lovely.

Wordie, yay the icky ear situation has left the building. Now let's have some fun...

Today i wore Votre de Charles Jourdan, which is such a glorious scent, a true gem of an era gone.
    Tonight, après bain, i am wearing Guerlinade, but am not enjoying it as much as usual. I do not think lilac scents work well on gray, cloudy, drippy days. Maybe it is just me.

Have a smashing night all, love and hugs

Oh, and we are at the final step before closing on the house,which is next month if all goes well, so within a day or so, hubby and i will be on the road to being new home owners. Being "house-poor" scares me though, but (i guess) it will be worth it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tonight Gucci Nobile. Very nice
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone ! Jicky EDP and Extrait this evening !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing Coney Island today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I am in the midst of PMS. So, I'm craving Trouble, which smells horrid on me, but I crave it during PMS for some strange reason lol. I can't stand it any other time.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I am settling down for the evening in Coty's Wild Musk Oil. Talk about comfort scent!

Brielle: continued congratulations. I have never owned a home myself, and the space and privacy seem so alluring.

Chaya: so good to have a special time with J.

Wordbird: one should always celebrate recovery from illness with perfume, don't you think?

You all smell wonderful, as usual.

Chanel 19 edt and Jasmine White Moss parfum for me.

tommy bahama for men today
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Jasmine White Moss
    Thank you BlackCat!
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I am always loking for a feminine Creed that I can love, but I have yet to encounter it.
    I'm sure you've tried it, but please give a sniff to Irisia, which was my SOTE last night.

The heat really brought something out in this. I've worn it a few times and liked it, but last night I think I started falling in love. After finally trying Infusion d'Iris a little while back and getting a better understanding of iris root vs powdery iris flower, I finally "get" the iris in Irisia (Isn't the learning curve fun?? I hope I never know enough to lose this sense of discovery...)

The top seems to be a mix of indoles, lily (for the wet green note), and something piquant (but not actual pepper), a combination I'm really liking. In a way, this is what I think those lovely-but-too-watered-down JCE peppery florals would smell like if given some room to stretch out and be seen.

The orris root comes in later, lending a bready heft to the proceedings while never overwhelming the green, peppery indoles.

The bottom is that nice vanilla/amber Creed base, which perfectly rounds out Irisia without ever feeling gourmand because of the lasting indoles.

The more I try, the more I realize that the real gems of the Creed line are hidden in their classics, which are quickly being "vaulted" and replaced by fruity florals or yet another ozonic citrus.

So I hope people will try Irisia - It's taken a few tries for it to make me see its magic, so please check it out again if you've already written it off, especially if you're going through a hot spell.

(I feel like a cheering section today... I promise to be back to my regular picky and unsatisfied self soon )
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Kiton Black
    Gary

Comfort scent for me tonight, too...Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe.

Blog Entries

My SOTD Today was my first test of Comme des Garçons Incense: Avignon. Thanks to Arlee for the sample!

According to the notes and reviews, this is a smoky frankincense/myrrh scent with a cedar base. Sadly, I mostly only smelled the cedar, and it's the hamster cage kind. The noted smoke seems to be Iso E Super, which actually does pair well with the cedar. There's an exaggerated creamy sweetness going on, too, which smells to me like the creamy sweet aspects of the Iso E Super, but turned up somehow. I guess this is the myrrh, but it's not like the cooked-vinegar note I've come to associate with myrrh. Anyway, on me it's mostly the cedar, reminding me a bit of Silver Factory, another celebrated incense frag where I can't smell the incense through the hamster cage. Probably not for me, but I did get a huge compliment from a co-worker.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??