Code of Conduct

Question Sarah Jessica Parker "Lovely" and longevity/sillage

I am interested specifically in longevity and sillage experiences with Lovely. (My sister happened upon a sale item at Marshall's.)

The archives had very little on either. When I wear a scent, I want to enjoy it for a long time and make sure others can sense it when they are near me.

Please help with your observations.

Thank you. --Primrose
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Sarah Jessica Parker "Lovely" and longevity/sillage

Primrose - I tried SJP's Lovely and I am sorry to say it had neither sillage nor longevity to me. In fact it smelt of not too much on me. I have weird skin chemistry though.
    Chandler Burr of Scent Notes seems to like it . www.chandlerburr.com/articles/sarah.html
    You can also check reviews of it on www.makeupalley.com
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th August 2009 at 05:26 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

my first reaction to Lovely was "where'd it go?" Could barely smell a thing and I wrote it off. A few months later I smelled it on some one and it had quite a lot of sillage. I tried it again and it seemed like a totally different scent. I could only wonder if my first summer sniffing of this was influenced by shipping and storage of the bottles as it was really very long lasting later.

I find it very lasting and with decent sillage (i.e. not so much that people in the lift with you start choking, not so little that you have to press your arm to your nose to get a tiny smell of it).
    I also find it a good all-rounder - it's one I pack for trips where I need flexibility. And it's not as sweet as I expected, which I like a lot. I think that slightly sharp topnote is very smart and feels intelligent.

Got to hand it to SJP, the gal has impeccable taste.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I really like 'Lovely' and find the staying power to be pretty good, while it's not the most long lasting fragrance I've tried I do get a few hours out of it. Sillage is subtle but still noticeable, I catch a faint waft of it every so often. It's a great perfume for the price
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Lovely is the only celebrity scent I own. It's gorgeous, great for traveling, and has perfect sillage and longevity. In other words, when traveling, I spritz it on in the morning, it's a skin scent by the time I get on the plane at noon, and I can use something else for the evening, or more Lovely!

I own Lovely and find it a very pretty floral musk, up there with the three most similar to it - NR for Her, Sensuous and DSQUARED She Wood. Well, maybe NR would be my fave of the four.

Longevity is fine, sillage I don't know because I don't seem to give off any, however I seem to spray, so I will guess average.

It is the only perfume my partner has ever said was "nice", though he quickly qualified this remark by saying he couldn't really smell it. I also have the lotion, which is very pleasant.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

I know I have weird skin chemistry now ! I smelt alcohol , a little floral woods and that's it !

Thank you, mysticknot, for the answer.

Thank you all for the kind responses!

My personal experience with Lovely was: very pretty scent, but NO longevity or sillage at all.

The batch? The storage? Anyhow...I adore the scent but don't like spraying on the hour.

OTOH, the knock-off (one of those scents sold at drugstores/chemists as "smells like") I have has better sillage and longevity! LOL! I have a bottle of Lovely now and it looks like I will just have to deal with the short joy of the scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Hi Primrose- glad to help . Yes, spraying every hour is too much hard work and expensive in the end ! It's much easier to choose a perfume with some substance on your skin.

Lovely has medium longevity and stays close to the skin and is often compared to a similar perfume (Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT). The NRfH is a radiant beauty with tremendous sillage, and I feel it is clearly the superior of the two...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I work with a young woman who wears this frequently. Her shift starts at 4PM and one day I commented on her fragrance and she told me it was Lovely that she sprayed on when she got dressed that morning. I got a nice dose of sillage in the late afternoon from something she applied whatever time in the AM. I thought that was pretty good!

Thank you for the masculine input, GourmandHomme and evogel!

I am trying, now, to come up with why the differing opinions from so wide a range of people. Is it actually *that* different on each person?

Post Re: Sarah Jessica Parker "Lovely" and longevity/sillage

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you for the masculine input, GourmandHomme and evogel!

I am trying, now, to come up with why the differing opinions from so wide a range of people. Is it actually *that* different on each person?
    I think that's exactly what it is. I've observed the same thing myself, frags I can smell on others just aren't detectable on me. NRFH, is a prime example, I can't even smell it on myself ! A number of the members on nowsmellthis.com say the same is true for them as well, particularly with this fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by LeNez View Post
    I think that's exactly what it is. I've observed the same thing myself, frags I can smell on others just aren't detectable on me. NRFH, is a prime example, I can't even smell it on myself ! A number of the members on nowsmellthis.com say the same is true for them as well, particularly with this fragrance.
    If you can't smell much of Lovely or NRfH, that most likely means you're anosmic* to its primary musk compounds (a considerable percentage of people can't smell musk)

*: Fancy scientific term for "can't smell"
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I'll go with the anosmic explanation too.

Lovely (and NR for Her) are both scents that project well and last a long time. I don't know if they're more prone to olfactory fatigue than some scents, but at the least, I think it's often the musk that's the problem when someone can't smell it as opposed to the skin chemistry or under applying.

Lovely is a scent that I enjoy encountering on others, it is present without being overpowering or loud and disruptive. You might run into some people who don't really smell it.