Code of Conduct

Default Buying the super rose Amouage Homage Attar from Oman?

I find rose scents to be one of my favourite themes and in search of the so called holy grail, one naturally comes across Amouage Homage. At the moment a bottle of 12ml Pure Parfum will set you back a good 175.

However there may be a light at the end of the tunnel! Cutting out the middle man and aiming for the direct target. I wonder if anyone has tried to contact the headquarters in Oman and ask for a quote of this scent?

I have currently sent an email to one of my friends who lives in Oman, and I asked him for the same piece of information. While I wait for him to reply, I thought I would ask the BN'ers.

"What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Default Re: Buying the super rose Amouage Homage Attar from Oman?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I find rose scents to be one of my favourite themes and in search of the so called holy grail, one naturally comes across Amouage Homage. At the moment a bottle of 12ml Pure Parfum will set you back a good 175.

However there may be a light at the end of the tunnel! Cutting out the middle man and aiming for the direct target. I wonder if anyone has tried to contact the headquarters in Oman and ask for a quote of this scent?

I have currently sent an email to one of my friends who lives in Oman, and I asked him for the same piece of information. While I wait for him to reply, I thought I would ask the BN'ers.

Good luck. Unless you're going to buy it in quantity along with other items from their line, and provide them with a resale tax number, your chances are slim to none. When you buy from a manufacturer owned web-site, Estee Lauder, Serge Luten's, etc., they charge you retail. Just curious as to why you think that all it takes is a phone call?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th August 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Just curious as to why you think that all it takes is a phone call?
    He probably has a ridiculously sexy voice on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    He probably has a ridiculously sexy voice on the phone.
    Just say please!

Maybe I'm a jerk (no, I know I am ), but I hope you can't get it for some super low price since I paid the whole nasty $350 (but I don't regret it... that stuff is something else)
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Hasn't the price already gone down? I though it was over 200 last year when it was exclusive to Selfridges. I think it's still $350 in the US which is over 200 anyway..
    I remember in Selfridges they used to have a single bottle available to test, it was kept in a glass container and you had to ask the SA if you wanted to smell it. Last week they had about 5 flacons of the Homage placed on the counter which you could take and sample. It's now available in Harrods or Fortnum & Mason as well.
    Have you tried it? I tested it 3 times and found it very nice although not groundbreaking. Plus it's gone after 4-5 hours from my skin. I'd suggest try also some of the oud oils with taif/damascus rose made by Arabian Oud (Taj Mahal etc..).
    Last edited by phibess; 12th August 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Sample is the only way to go, if you haven't done a sniff test. I was going to pull the trigger and buy Amouage Gold and Jubilation XXV after reading so many great reviews about them, but decided to go with the samples first. Verdict: I didn't like either one. While Gold and Jubilation smell very good, but I much prefer somewhat of a modern scent like Guerlain Double Vanille or Tom Ford Black Violet. Gold and Jubilation are, to me, in the same class, scent, as Guerlain Derby...too old !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Just curious as to why you think that all it takes is a phone call?
    I would normally expect retail price buying from the actual company but I have a feeling that buying this scent in Oman especially with the currency difference there might be an opportunity. In the same way I believe buying a Montale in some of the Gulf Arab countries is somewhat cheaper than buying them in the west unless I'm sadly mistaken!
    Its worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Hasn't the price already gone down? I though it was over 200 last year when it was exclusive to Selfridges. I think it's still $350 in the US which is over 200 anyway..
    I remember in Selfridges they used to have a single bottle available to test, it was kept in a glass container and you had to ask the SA if you wanted to smell it. Last week they had about 5 flacons of the Homage placed on the counter which you could take and sample. It's now available in Harrods or Fortnum & Mason as well.
    Have you tried it? I tested it 3 times and found it very nice although not groundbreaking. Plus it's gone after 4-5 hours from my skin. I'd suggest try also some of the oud oils with taif/damascus rose made by Arabian Oud (Taj Mahal etc..).
    I really need to get down to London and try this scent, its not available in Manchester (I've tried every main retailer but to no avail). Thanks for the suggestions of Arabian Oud, I just have to find ways of obtaining some samples for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug911 View Post
    Sample is the only way to go, if you haven't done a sniff test. I was going to pull the trigger and buy Amouage Gold and Jubilation XXV after reading so many great reviews about them, but decided to go with the samples first. Verdict: I didn't like either one. While Gold and Jubilation smell very good, but I much prefer somewhat of a modern scent like Guerlain Double Vanille or Tom Ford Black Violet. Gold and Jubilation are, to me, in the same class, scent, as Guerlain Derby...too old !!!!
    I have tried some Amouage scents already and found them very pleasant but I'm willing to buy an Amouage for those prices, if they were bought and kept as formal/special occasion scents only.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 13th August 2009 at 04:37 AM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I really wish I could help out on this, but I'm very curious about how the company is going to handle your request. On one level, it seems the most logical thing in the world to write and ask for a quotation of price. On another, I can see why they might send you one of those polite "look for your local dealer" emails. Can't hurt to ask of course, and it sure is sad the stuff comes in such a small amout (besides the high cost).

Many companies might decide to "lose" your inquiry because it's such a stumper, and you'd get a rejection by hearing nothing back from them. It'll be interesting to see what they say, won't it? If one doesn't ask, one doesn't have stories, after all!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Off-Scenter

Sample is the only way to go, if you haven'td one a sniff test. I was going to pull the trigger and buy Amouage Gold and Jubilation XXV after reading so many great reviews about them, but decided to go with the samples first. Verdict: I didn't like either one. While Gold and Jubilation smell very good, but I much prefer somewhat of a modern scent like Guerlain Double Vanille or Tom Ford Black Violet. Gold and Jubilation are, to me, in the same class, scent, as Guerlain Derby...too old !!!!
    One of the advantages of being an old dog is that you can wear Amouage Gold, Jubilation XXV, and Derby without feeling "too old"!

Then again, one of the advantages of being 23 is that you can wear Amouage Gold, Jubilation XXV, and Derby without feeling "too old."

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    One of the advantages of being an old dog is that you can wear Amouage Gold, Jubilation XXV, and Derby without feeling "too old"!

Then again, one of the advantages of being 23 is that you can wear Amouage Gold, Jubilation XXV, and Derby without feeling "too old."
    You're only as old as you feel, old dog and that is one of the wonderful things about fragrance-I feel alive and as happy as a clam putting on my favorite fragrance every single day (and I have many). But my point is that, no matter how nice and wonderful a certain fragrance is to everyone else, it all comes down to your own personal taste...Well, sort of. It is more complex than just being your own self. But that is another debate

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I really wish I could help out on this, but I'm very curious about how the company is going to handle your request. On one level, it seems the most logical thing in the world to write and ask for a quotation of price. On another, I can see why they might send you one of those polite "look for your local dealer" emails. Can't hurt to ask of course, and it sure is sad the stuff comes in such a small amout (besides the high cost).

Many companies might decide to "lose" your inquiry because it's such a stumper, and you'd get a rejection by hearing nothing back from them. It'll be interesting to see what they say, won't it? If one doesn't ask, one doesn't have stories, after all!
    --Chris
    Precisely Chris, ask not and you shall receive not. I have already emailed them directly and sadly got the answer that you preconceived that I would get - nothing. I hope however that my friend who is from Oman can get a different answer.

btw some interesting pictures from the plant in Muskat, Oman;

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/22d217/
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/236f0b/
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/236f13/
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/236f14/
    http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/236f15/

mores pictures...

http://www.creativematch.co.uk/mycm/.../Amouage_5.jpg
    http://www.creativematch.co.uk/portf...ge/photo/5178/
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 13th August 2009 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post

Preach it!

Off-Scenter

You're only as old as you feel, old dog and that is one of the wonderful things about fragrance-I feel alive and as happy as a clam putting on my favorite fragrance every single day (and I have many). But my point is that, no matter how nice and wonderful a certain fragrance is to everyone else, it all comes down to your own personal taste...Well, sort of. It is more complex than just being your own self. But that is another debate
    Couldn't agree with you more. Woof!

I believe buying a Montale in some of the Gulf Arab countries is somewhat cheaper than buying them in the west unless I'm sadly mistaken!
    Its worth a try!
    The prices that are charged for the non-oud Montales in the US are ridiculous compared to what they sell for in Paris.
    PS: Good luck with your endeavor!

Aha finally some news!!!

I have been searching around looking for an answer and I think I may have dropped in on some hints. Take a look at a reply from a guy I know who has links to loyal Amouage customers.

Aerandir, I am sorry to have disappointed you earlier. Out of curiosity and my obligation to help you, I contacted few people who are loyal Amouage customers. I came to know that they do sell from the perfume factory at Rusayl for a cheaper price than other Amouage outlets. This is however restricted to "season-time". It seems the "season" ended in May.

hmm now I have to find out what exactly is the season period and how much the discounts are.
    It may only be a hint, but that's all I have to run off for now and you never know it prove to be a useful venture not only for me but also for other budding Amouage fans currently hanging on the balance of their pay cheques. I may have upcoming news, watch this space!

Ok I got an email back from a retail mall in Oman that sell Amouage. Its called the Sabco Centre and here are the details for the location...

Sabco Centre

PO Box : 3420,Ruwi,Postal Code 112
    Tel : 566701,Fax: 563539
    e-mail : sabcocen@omantel.net.om

and here's the email...

Hello,

The price list for Homage is as follows:

12ml is RO.75
    30ml is RO.225

If you need anymore information please don't hesitate to call me or I-mail me.

Regards

Nurah Mohamed
    Supervisor Retail
    Cell - 92636327
    Shop Tel. 24560533 / 24564515
    Fax No. - 24560533
    I-Mail - boutique@omantel.net.om

just so everyone knows...

75 RO (Omani Rials) = 117.783 GBP = 194.780 USD (courtesy of XE.com currency exchange)
    225 RO = 353.350 GBP = 584.340 USD

its a strange pricing offer. Usually they reduce the price if you buy more of the fragrance per ml!
    However the 12ml prices look fairly attractive. I have also asked whether they deliver to the UK and USA and should get a reply very soon. Watch this space.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 15th August 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks for the info, 117 sounds much better - although I'm afraid with the high UK import tax/duty + Royal Mail admin fee the final price could be near 150. And if you add P&P you probably won't be saving that much - unless they're willing to ship it as a gift.

Btw, there're 2 new Amouage attars available (so far only) in Selfridges. I did not write down their names. Sampled one of them its name starts with S and it's... beautiful. I found it more complex and slightly more masculine than Homage. Both come in the same flacon as Homage. Unfortunately they're even more expensive

Thanks for the info, 117 sounds much better - although I'm afraid with the high UK import tax/duty + Royal Mail admin fee the final price could be near 150. And if you add P&P you probably won't be saving that much - unless they're willing to ship it as a gift.

Btw, there're 2 new Amouage attars available (so far only) in Selfridges. I did not write down their names. Sampled one of them its name starts with S and it's... beautiful. I found it more complex and slightly more masculine than Homage. Both come in the same flacon as Homage. Unfortunately they're even more expensive
    Do find out more pretty please?!

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Do find out more pretty please?!
    Those 2 new attars? I will need to go back and do more sampling plus write down their names. They're not even listed on Amouage web site. I remember one of them cost 215, the other one just under 200. However, I don't want to hijack this thread which is about Homage so let's leave it at that for now.

Those 2 new attars? I will need to go back and do more sampling plus write down their names. They're not even listed on Amouage web site. I remember one of them cost 215, the other one just under 200. However, I don't want to hijack this thread which is about Homage so let's leave it at that for now.
    will...wait...impatiently...

75 RO (Omani Rials) = 117.783 GBP = 194.780 USD (courtesy of XE.com currency exchange).

That pisses me off. I paid $350 for it from stupid luckyscent. That is a huge price discrepancy. I'll be emailing to let them know how I feel.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    That pisses me off. I paid $350 for it from stupid luckyscent. That is a huge price discrepancy. I'll be emailing to let them know how I feel.
    Yes its hugely unfair and uncalled for there. EDIT but take into consideration what Futami says in the post made a few places down from here.

I am waiting for a reply with the delivery question in mind. It should give an indication of what we can try.
    I'm also following up my earlier post on the cheaper Amouage bottles from the factory in Rusayl (apparently the sales are seasonal). Should this be even more beneficial in price I will inform the BN members asap.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 15th August 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Yes, I am interested as well, although... 12mL x 3 36mL, 75x = 225

however, 30=225...
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    That's not going to help anyone. if anything it may call attention to that loop hole and they may prohibit authorized retailers from shipping to other countries (if they don't already). Or get a retailer in trouble. I paid full retail as well so I can totally understand.

A friend of Moredas had a few bottles for sale that he bought at the factory a while back. I think he was selling them for $250. It was tempting but after I thought about it for a bit I decided to buy it at retail from Bergdorfs. I figured if i had any issues I could return it and also I didn't risk it being tied up at customs.

The part that scares me is now they have two new attars. I've been good and I am really enjoying not buying as much lately so hopefully the new attars aren't as good as Homage.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Yes, I am interested as well, although... 12mL x 3 36mL, 75x = 225

however, 30=225...

I thought the same thing as well! The maths just doesn't add up. I've asked the retail store why this is the case and hopefully I should get an interesting reply any time soon.
    Possibly comes in an extra special bottle !?
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 15th August 2009 at 11:15 PM.

ok I got a post from a guy that lives in Oman, here are the details.

There is no difference between the factory price or any other Amouag outlets in Oman
    the prices are as the below:

1. Homage is 75 OR (Omani Rials) per Tola... 118 - $194
    2. Gold 75 OR... 118 - $194
    3. Epic 68 OR... 107 - $176
    4. Jubilation 70 OR... 110 - $181
    5. Reflection 50 OR... 78 - $129
    6. Lyrics 65 OR... 102 - $168

They were the mens perfume prices above,
    for woman are as the following:

1. Gold 85 OR... 134 - $220
    2. Epic 78 OR... 123 - 202
    3. Jubilation 80 OR... 126 - $207
    4. Reflection 60 OR... 94 - $155
    5. Lyrics 65 OR... 102 - $168

My friend there is no difference as I said the prices in the Factory or the outlets,, except that there times that the factory lower its prices in some itmes not all,, the last time sale was not so attractive in the price issue and as was discussed with perfume lovers in town and not all the times were included.
    But in the Duty free, they do sell it very competitve price. But you know you can't buy any item there unless you are travelling.

In short, Amouage is quite cheaper to buy from Oman but I'm still not sure how much the delivery and customs will cost. However there also seem to be seasonal sales for perfume lovers at the factory in Rusayl where fans of the scents are given very good prices at times but I'm not sure how this works yet. I'll try to keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    ...The part that scares me is now they have two new attars. I've been good and I am really enjoying not buying as much lately so hopefully the new attars aren't as good as Homage.
    Not sure if those two attars I mentioned in the previous post and which I found in Selfridges/London will be distributed world-wide as Homage.. after all they've always used to make oil attars mainly for the Middle-East market.
    Anyways, one of them is called Afrah and reminded me slighly of Ciel Man (aromatic fruity floral) in the beginning while the base was similar to Gold Man - lots of powder and civet. What blew me away was the other one - Shoumoukh, one of the most beautiful scent accords I've smelled in a long time which in its elegance rivals Patou PH imo. Here the rich silver frankincense takes the centre stage and has almost edible quality while the rose is more subdued, at least compared to Homage. I thought the oud in this was nothing like the oud I had smelled before (Montales, Arabian Aoud), it was very smooth without that sharpish medicinal bite. I went to Selfridges last Sunday, Shoumoukh was sold out and the SA didn't know if it'd be available again. Saved me a bit of money. I'd take Shoumoukh over Homage anyday however, 215 for 12ml is a bit mad. Perhaps these attars are a part of the 'Boutique collection' which according to Ch. Chong they plan to launch sometime in 2009.
    Last edited by phibess; 18th August 2009 at 07:36 PM.

I have another Amouage attar that is called Ashjan.
    it reminds me of musc ghazalle and Homage ate the same time.
    But it is not as animalistic as AA MUSC GHAZALLE and not as refind as Homage.
    do get the same orange and roses notes of homage and the same type dark and heavy
    animalic notes of AA Musc Ghazalle.

My bottle is 15ml, i dont know the price. I recieved it from Oman.

Thanks for this info!

Shoumoukh sounds like a must-try. Can you describe what makes it akin to Patou PH?

Not sure if those two attars I mentioned in the previous post and which I found in Selfridges/London will be distributed world-wide as Homage.. after all they've always used to make oil attars mainly for the Middle-East market.
    Anyways, one of them is called Afrah and reminded me slighly of Ciel Man (aromatic fruity floral) in the beginning while the base was similar to Gold Man - lots of powder and civet. What blew me away was the other one - Shoumoukh, one of the most beautiful scent accords I've smelled in a long time which in its elegance rivals Patou PH imo. Here the rich silver frankincense takes the centre stage and has almost edible quality while the rose is more subdued, at least compared to Homage. I thought the oud in this was nothing like the oud I had smelled before (Montales, Arabian Aoud), it was very smooth without that sharpish medicinal bite. I went to Selfridges last Sunday, Shoumoukh was sold out and the SA didn't know if it'd be available again. Saved me a bit of money. I'd take Shoumoukh over Homage anyday however, 215 for 12ml is a bit mad. Perhaps these attars are a part of the 'Boutique collection' which according to Ch. Chong they plan to launch sometime in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Thanks for this info!

Shoumoukh sounds like a must-try. Can you describe what makes it akin to Patou PH?
    Doesn't really smell like it but I found it as elegant and smooth and liked it almost as much as PPH. I only tested it once though, hopefully I'll get a chance to try it again. Or maybe I should forget about it considering its price.

"Is it better to have loved and lost...?"

Doesn't really smell like it but I found it as elegant and smooth and liked it almost as much as PPH. I only tested it once though, hopefully I'll get a chance to try it again. Or maybe I should forget about it considering its price.

. What blew me away was the other one - Shoumoukh, one of the most beautiful scent accords I've smelled in a long time which in its elegance rivals Patou PH imo. Here the rich silver frankincense takes the centre stage and has almost edible quality while the rose is more subdued, at least compared to Homage. I thought the oud in this was nothing like the oud I had smelled before (Montales, Arabian Aoud), it was very smooth without that sharpish medicinal bite.
    Wow, that does sound nice. I hope to never smell it LOL

UPDATE:

I just got an email from Amouage stating that they only keep their uber sales for their fans in Muskat only! That rules out the 50-75% discounts that they provide during these sales for us however should one be in Oman for whatever reason it may be worth enquiring about further at their plant in Rusayl.

Just to Reiterate buying Homage in Oman will cost you 75 RO which is approx 120. Delivery costs 60 per kg to the UK (and probably around Europe). I'm not sure what customs will add on as well.

Basenotes Member

Hi Aerandir

Thanks for this post. I'm looking into buying Amouage in Oman and was having a hard time finding any info.