Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to deal with "I-am-panicking!-My-favorite-scent-will-be-discontinued" syndrome

Besides checking the manufacturer, you might want to check this site: this wholesale distributor might give you an idea if you favorite designer scent is being distributed in the USA:

http://www.cosmopolitanusa.com

BTW: Moulineux's Captain figures in the catalogue
    Last edited by Pollux; 13th August 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Addition

smeller

Default Re: How to deal with "I-am-panicking!-My-favorite-scent-will-be-discontinued" syndrom

Nice thread.

I believe the default basenoter reaction would be to hunt some backup bottles, perhaps in the most unsuspected fragrance shops, perhaps at the early morning, perhaps with a desperate look in your eyes.

On the other hand, the most healthy reaction probably would be just "let it go" and ponder a bit on how ephemeral things are.

Or get to the conclusion that this frag was not that good.

Bashing the whole fragrance industry (and his profit-oriented managers) in basenotes threads and elect another favorite frag is also an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to deal with "I-am-panicking!-My-favorite-scent-will-be-discontinued" syndrom

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    ...., the most healthy reaction probably would be just "let it go" and ponder a bit on how ephemeral things are.
    Yes, nothing in this world lasts forever. Nothing.

Off-Scenter

Simple: buy more!

Post Thanks / Like

Besides looking for a hint of hope (such as the website posted), I keep repeating to myself, almost like a mantra... "it is just a fragrance, let go. Besides, one can't stop things from changing."

Post Thanks / Like

I use to have this fear too but it takes quite some time to finish a bottle even with my normal 5 sprays. If u are really worried then start getting back ups.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's one of the wonders of life, that nothing lasts forever. At least you were once able to experience those discontinued scents. When one door closes another one opens. I am sure there are more hidden gems waiting for you to uncover

Usually it goes something like this:

A: I like X.

B: Did you know X is being discontinued?

A: How could this happen? X is my all time favorite, my signature scent, my Holy Grail!

B: Did you hear X is being re-released?

A: They have changed the formula, it's not the X that I loved.

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th August 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Usually it goes something like this:

A: I like X.

B: Did you know X is being discontinued?

A: How could this happen? X is my all time favorite, my signature scent, my Holy Grail!

B: Did you hear X is being re-released?

A: They have changed the formula, it's not the X that I loved.

I've gone through a pretty tough learning curve in exactly this manner. I set my limit on back-ups to two bottles, max.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Simple: buy more!
    What he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    I've gone through a pretty tough learning curve in exactly this manner. I set my limit on back-ups to two bottles, max.
    Wise move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    . When one door closes another one opens. I am sure there are more hidden gems waiting for you to uncover
    I concur here!

However you usually have some time to buy more bottles (ebay, last few bottles in a store, etc...) when people start to hear that a scent is being discontinued. If you get in quick it should be ok to buy a few extra bottles. After this they become rare and expensive and you would want to avoid letting it linger till this stage.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I doubt what I'm wearing now will be the same scents I'll be wearing 10, 20...years from now. My taste in almost everything changes/evolves over time. I'll probably discover something new, possibly better.

When I retire, I'll probably wear Brut exclusively.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to read Who Moved My Cheese, one of the worst self-help/bussiness book ever.
    then I substitute the word cheese with "perfume" wherever I find it in the book...
    Last edited by irish; 13th August 2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I get like that whenever I see a frag I like on clearance. I immediately think it's being discontinued and buy it on sight. Then it ends up being no where near discontinuation, the store was just trying to make room for new frags...
    Last edited by gekko; 14th August 2009 at 06:48 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Post Thanks / Like

Take some valium. But try not to get addicted to it as some of us have with fragrances!

Post Thanks / Like

Valium is being discontinued.. .
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Oh my god, I love Valium! I only have a 2 year supply left. Does anybody know where I can get a back-up bottle?

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Oh my god, I love Valium! I only have a 2 year supply left. Does anybody know where I can get a back-up bottle?
    Just get the Canadian generic APO-DIAZEPAM from Apotex

LOL You guys are goofs.

I don't know what to tell you. I had a couple discontinued from underneath me before my stash and taste grew...favorites form high school, and by the time I neared graduation two of my favorites had been discontinued. Now, I do tend to feel panicky when I get word a fave is going to go out of production, or even when it harder to find. I'm finding it hard to restrain myself to no more than 3 backup bottles.

Yet, I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn either of those discontinued frags since I procured some. :/

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda off topic but does anyone know if A*Men Pure Coffee is discontinued? Say if I happened upon several bottles, would I make a pretty penny pawning them off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Punisher View Post
    Kinda off topic but does anyone know if A*Men Pure Coffee is discontinued? Say if I happened upon several bottles, would I make a pretty penny pawning them off?
    It's not discontinued completely, but it's not to be found in stores. It is for sale on the Thierry Mugler site (or at least it was recently). There's no telling how long it will be available there. But in any case, I think that those bottles will increase in value - particularly if they disappear from the TM site completely, and maybe even anyway, since so many people don't like to pay full manufacturer price.

Personally, I think it's a great scent. I've got my bottle, but I may want another someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Just reformulated - and I hear there will be a 'Sport' version.