Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Do you wear your personality?

Ok, so any of you that have read my recent posts in other threads know I've recently broke down and bought AdG after a long time of putting it off. I wore it for the second full day today, and was struck by the thought this morning that this scent totally fits me.

I would describe myself as average, but very kind, and I try not to offend anyone. I am liked by most everyone I come in contact with. I'm also an introvert and usually very quiet. Not at all a colorful, loud, or in-your-face person. So much so that I could not see myself wearing any of the "powerhouse", huge-sillage fragrances many talk about on here.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Bulgari Aqua quite a bit more than AdG. But Aqua also fits the other side of my personality. Some days I'm a bit bolder, darker, and/or moodier.

So my question for you is, do you wear your personality in the fragrances you wear most often? I suspect that for most, the answer is "yes". If so, what fragrance(s) is/are "you"? Not necessarily your "favorite" frag, but the one that is you.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Do you wear your personality?

I can say yes to this question. I am an extrovert and am partial to bold / strong masculine scents. That's not to say that I don't wear lighter frags at times.

It's difficult to pick one frag that sums up your personality however. I have too many moods and too many frags to accommodate them.

No and yes - the fragrances I wear are often a direct contradiction of who I am on the outside, but they have to resonate on some level as being "me" for me to wear them often. I like big, bold orientals and florals for the most part, but I'm actually on the shy, somewhat reserved side until you get to know me. I tend be a very emotionally driven person, however, so that may explain it - I need something that MOVES me, not olfactory clothing.

That being said, I feel I have a curious kinship with rose fragrances that I can't quite explain. Rose fragrances are good anytime and fit me always, despite the fact that there are other notes - myrrh; tuberose; violet; just for example - that I like more.

I'm not sure...an intriguing question.

I'm trying to picture my thought process when I pick a scent. For me, it isn't so much a question of which scent I wear as it is a question of how much. I feel comfortable wearing just about anything, no matter how unique or strong it is, if I just apply a little. I might apply a little more of a reserved scent because I feel more comfortable with it.

I suppose this reflects my personality. I strive to be unique but not ostentatiously so, and I try not to be too assertive or too shy most of the time. I appreciate life as it comes, but don't feel the need to let everyone else know about it constantly. I am mindful of others, and try to avoid unnecessary conflict (including offending others with my scent), but that doesn't mean I'll stop wearing risky fragrances altogether. Again, I just apply less. Sooo...analyze that!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My choice of fragrance doesn't directly feed off my personality

I believe that the best fragrances for a person are those that exude an air that is similar to his or her general character. As for myself, I guess I do often wear scents that match my personality, but it's not intentional. Many people describe me as quiet, reserved and confident, and some of my favorite fragrances could be described as that - Equipage, Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, etc.. On the other hand, I'm not an extroverted person yet I also wear a lot of strong, powerful scents often, such as Kouros, Mazzolari Lui, Yatagan and Bel Ami, all of which could be deemed extroverted scents.
    Last edited by shamu1; 13th August 2009 at 04:51 AM.

I don't because i just follow my nose and buy a scent that appeals to me. I'm quite the opposite from Live Jazz because no matter whether the frag is a strong one or a light one i still apply the same amount of sprays. But i do choose the frag to match the environment, occasion and weather. But this thread has got me thinking, should I actually make an effort to match a scent to my personality...
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Interesting thread, I like it.
    Paco Rabanne PH is a real favourite of mine, and I do feel it fits my personality very well, and my friends feel the same. It could be that i've worn it for a while so people associate it with me, but I don't really think this is the case.
    That said, I wear Old Spice (which I think is light-hearted and easy-going. Playful, almost) and Aramis (which I think is quite sophisticated... almost luxurious) quite a lot, too and neither of those really sum me up.

However, nearly all my frags can be seen to point to something "old fashioned" and relatively confident, which according to my partner, fits me. I really have no idea whether i'm an extrovert or not, but I suspect I lean towards introversy which is probably why I don't wear a lot of screamers or wildly unique stuff - getting attention doesn't freak me out or upset me, but I wouldn't actively go seeking it.

Generally, I wear things purely because I like them, but why i'm attracted to them is something i've never thought too much about.

So... yes and no, just to be contrary .

Dependent

Good question. I'm not entirely sure if I do, but i certainly wear what suits my mood more. Does my personality play an operative role in my decisions to buy certain scents? Maybe. I am a little quiet in person but I do like to wear certain heavier powerhouses. Not sure if it is a personality thing, but my scents are pretty varied.

ps. AGD is a great scent IMO.
    Last edited by MFJ; 13th August 2009 at 12:00 PM.

Like you, I am a fairly shy, quiet, introverted person, and I certainly think that is reflected to a degree in my fragrance preferences. Of course, what makes people interesting is that we are so multifaceted - it is impossible, I think, to describe anyone's entire personality in a sentence. So, I can tell you that I am generally a quiet, reserved person and that would certainly be true, but is it the whole story? Of course not. Around friends, for example, I open up significantly, my sense of humor comes out, I enjoy talking more - and I like to have fragrances available for those occasions as well.

I also find it interesting that even if we don't always consciously choose to wear fragrances which reflect our personalities, we do tend to focus on certain traits in a fragrance which agree with our general personalities. For example, it's very interesting to me to read reviews of a certain fragrance I enjoy and see someone mentioning that they think it's a great scent for going out, clubbing, etc., while for me, it may be much more of a private, stay at home type of scent. Fragrances, like us, have multiple personalities as well, which is part of what makes them so fascinating.

Nah, not really.
    I come across as quiet, reserved, melancholic even. It's partly accurate and partly just how I come across - so I tend to view fragrance as a way to exaggerate/highlight certain traits that aren't immediately obvious. I love wearing warm orientals and unconventional oddities, neither of which would directly correlate with a withdrawn personality.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I can say yes to this question. I am an extrovert and am partial to bold / strong masculine scents. That's not to say that I don't wear lighter frags at times.

It's difficult to pick one frag that sums up your personality however. I have too many moods and too many frags to accommodate them.
    What The Don said!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Yes, I do. My different perfumes say I'm versatile and love beauty in all its forms. I have soft scents all the way from Infusion d'Iris, can do feminines like EL's Beyond Paradise for women; all the way to your louder aromatic fougeres like Bulgari Pour Homme, and I'm not afraid to be noticed, as I even wear bold Oriental scents like Shalimar or Coco.

Though my favorites are obviously Gourmand scents, because I love dessert and pastries over main meals. Hence my BN name here. :P
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Not always. I tend to deviate too much, too often

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    No and yes - the fragrances I wear are often a direct contradiction of who I am on the outside, but they have to resonate on some level as being "me" for me to wear them often. I like big, bold orientals and florals for the most part, but I'm actually on the shy, somewhat reserved side until you get to know me. I tend be a very emotionally driven person, however, so that may explain it - I need something that MOVES me, not olfactory clothing.

I'm quite the same actually. I like strong and deep fragrances, usually orientals, leather, and incense ones. Even if I have a very strong personality I'm usually quiet, sometimes extremely shy at a first approach. I'm someone very independent, who likes to be alone, I don't like crowds and I tend to avoid people.

Maybe it's the need of a balance that makes us wear this type of fragrances.

Tailored to the personality ? YES I do but I also tailor the scent to my mood or to create one for myself.

May sound silly but it works.

I like to think I have multiple personalities....(uh ohhh.....he's crazy) But seriously, I dont feel the same day to day. Just like in Perfume: Story of a Murder, you need to have a fragrance to match what you are trying to project. One for going under the radar, for love, for assertiveness and so on. In this sense I am usually able to match the fragrance to my personality, or rather my sporadic personality can usually find a fragrance for that day/occasion.

Not at all , in real life Im fairly quiet with a bit of a naughty side . I like my frags loud and boisterous

I try to most of the time.

I do; I am fairly conservative and reserved. I like my fragrances to be woody, incense, and close to the skin.
    Last edited by The Duke; 14th August 2009 at 02:12 PM.

Fragrance is less noticeable when it blends with my personality. But it can also add quite a bit to my persona as well.

I don't always wear my own personality. I like to think of fragrance as an addition to my personality. I have found that ultimately I wear a fragrance for how it makes ME feel and it affects how I feel when I am wearing it. I respect what other people say and that definitely affects how I feel about a fragrance, but ultimately the fragrance is for making me feel a certain way.

Sometimes the fragrance blends with my personality and sometimes it adds to me a bit. If I want to feel more formal or more dressy than I am I will select something that helps me feel this way. If I need a bit of boldness or aggressiveness for the day I might pick something that adds this aspect. I feel that way about fragrances that add romance, clean freshness, aggressiveness, a proper attitude, spiritual transcendence, out of the box thinking etc, etc. Fragrance is sort of a toolbox of elements to add to myself to enhance my overall statement in the world.

I do tend to favour formal fragrances, which does suit my personality pretty well. Fragrances such as Castile, Edition, Floris No.89, Black Tie work well with me.

This is an intriguing question. Do you wear your personality OR do you wear what you want your personality to be? I've never really given it any thought, but if you wouldn't mind my rambling perhaps I can dissect my fragrance choices. I would describe my personality as "predictably chaotic". I suffer from quite severe cases of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and ADD, along with a potent cocktail of I'm sure a half dozen other genetic psychological conditions. I'm a creature of habit, and I try to avoid abrupt and uncontrollable change at all time. I have mood swings, am easily amused, and I would say I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I get bored easily yet am quite content doing nothing but sitting on the computer all day long. (This is beginning to sound like a pretty poorly designed personal ad ) I'm introverted among crowds and about as extroverted as you can get among friends. I'm essentially a walking contradiction, erratic, stubborn, inquisitive, intelligent, and opinionated, yet oddly serene and calm most of the time. As you can see, I'm a fun person to spend time with . Now after that little soliloquy, the question may be what the hell does that have to do with fragrance! To be honest, I'm not quite sure, but I think for myself I wear fragrance as an escape from the life I normally live. My mind is so constantly moving, never do I have control over it, that I choose fragrance that is casual, uncomplicated, comfortable. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is NO, I do not wear a scent to match my personality, after all what the hell scent would that be!? I wear it to sort of be the yin to my yang, almost to counteract my personality.

Whew! Now, I'll take a step down off my soapbox.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th August 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

No way - if I wore my personality, I would smell very quiet, conservative and ultimately very boring.

Blog Entries

I'm not really an extrovert, but I like to be noticed. A lot of my favorites are darker orientals that project and last. That said, there are three 'fumes that are 'me' in totally different ways, and none of them are oriental. One's an incense, one's a tobacco/leather, and one's a gourmand.
    Cool thread, thgolfer! I've actually been thinking a little about this lately.

Personality and Occasion all the way

I thought about this lately too, after I saw luckyscent's astrological guide to fragrance ( http://www.luckyscent.com/category/luckystars.asp ). Apparently, as an Aquarian I am supposed to like fragrances that are "soothing, natural, aquatic, and airy." Soothing and natural are accurate enough, but I still haven't found an aquatic to love.

I think I wear whatever suits my mood or compliments it, but my fragrance choice is not based on my personality. Although I can get bored fast and I want interesting fragrances most of all and a lot of variety.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by InconcievableZen View Post
    Personality and Occasion all the way
    Cos

My three workhouse scents are Aramis, Old Spice and Gilette Cool Wave (an amazing after shave that lasts).

I feel no need to wear my personality, just be who I am.

I will admit upon occasion wearing some Agua Brava when I'm in a particular mood...to just be a jerk. Actually, I think it's a good fragrance when applied sparingly...and may make it part of my rotation. And of course there are a few other scents...