Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default L'Anarchiste packing/bottle - an exquisite corpse

Just bought a new bottle of L'Anarchiste from Parfum1 for really cheap. I've worn it before, and it's a nice scent that will work well in the Fall but the packaging is amazing. The box has a slid-out coffin with some Dada writings from Antonin Artaud in French. I've been into Artaud for many years as well as Baudelaire and had comtemplated learning French just to read them in their original language so that's a pleasant surprise. Can't remember the last time I was impressed with just the box. The bottle is striking and unique too. Think it's supposed to be a copper gas tank, perfect for throwing Molotov cocktails at the next riot. Isn't it odd that Caron didn't use their standard bottle shape for it? I just wish the juice impressed me as much as the packing does. Something feels missing in it. Or maybe I want it to be more intense and strange. The cloves and musk could be stronger for my taste but alas.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: L'Anarchiste packing/bottle - an exquisite corpse

L'Anarchiste isn't as strange as its reputation, but I find it quite pleasant. I adore the packaging too - it's one of my all-time favorite bottles.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 13th August 2009 at 04:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Manicboy, it'll grow on you. One day it'll suddenly fit. The orange pith and metal quality with whatever herb in the smell, it'll strike your bell.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I just wish the juice impressed me as much as the packing does. Something feels missing in it.
    I also ordered my bottle, blind, after reading some glorifying reviews about L'anarchiste. Coincidentally my bottle arrived today as well...The carton colour and the pillow packaging that slides out is very similar to that of Nassomatto Duro....I agree the bottle looks quite unique too...For a moment I thought I had got a splash bottle since the cap is so small and short on the bottle, it looked like a screw on lid...thankfully it was a spray....

The juice didn't move me one bit....its 'meh'.....For oranges I think I'd stick with Bigarade Concentree...I'd give L'anarchiste another chance before I decide to get rid of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I also ordered my bottle, blind, after reading some glorifying reviews about L'anarchiste. Coincidentally my bottle arrived today as well...The carton colour and the pillow packaging that slides out is very similar to that of Nassomatto Duro....I agree the bottle looks quite unique too...For a moment I thought I had got a splash bottle since the cap is so small and short on the bottle, it looked like a screw on lid...thankfully it was a spray....

The juice didn't move me one bit....its 'meh'.....For oranges I think I'd stick with Bigarade Concentree...I'd give L'anarchiste another chance before I decide to get rid of it...
    Ouch! Foiled again in the L'Anarchy propaganda movement. Rats.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Ouch! Foiled again in the L'Anarchy propaganda movement. Rats.
    not completely foiled man...they made me buy it!....though they couldn't make me love it but who knows.....the 'rats' got me in into 'Dior Homme' as well and I complained on the first sniff from my bottle but later...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the juice is fantastic, one of my top 5. I hard find to understand why some of you feel the fragrance itself is nothing special. I get a lot of compliments and when I wear it clearly separates me from the pack. The bottle and packaging are also very good.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if I got an 'off' sample spray but whatever was in the (vial) vile Dimitrios sent me smells nothing like any reviews on basenotes. It was an instant headache; cloves and cigarette ash were all I could smell. I want to try it again from a bottle, if only I could find one in a store...
    Last edited by Anthony87; 13th August 2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I dont know if I got an 'off' sample spray but whatever was in the (vial) vile Dimitrios sent me smells nothing like any reviews on basenotes. It was an instant headache; cloves and cigarette ash were all I could smell. I want to try it again from a bottle, if only I could find one in a store...
    Nope, that's the correct one. "Cloves and cigarette ash" is quite an accurate general description, and is pretty much what I got from it too. (with a slight "metallic" edge too).
    I'm afraid the cloves are just far too much for me. Anything that is too "clovey", just always reminds me of "toothache remedy" (which is 80% cloves, so no surprises there). ... So that just smelling the cloves, and my teeth almost start to ache . ...
    I don't mind some clove in a more "balanced" blend. But here, I just find that it rises above everything. Sticks out in a constant, steady, unflinching manner . Which ultimately,and unfortunately, I just find grating.
    I just wished the scent had more going on. On me it just seems to "sit there", with very little development. ... If it was actually anything like the extraordinary reviews here, I would enjoy it much more. But in comparison, I just find it rather more "boring" and "ordinary".
    (I'd imagine that those that luv "Terre d'Hermes" would also most probably enjoy L'Anarchist). They seem to have a very similar "vibe" to me. (They don't smell the same, but they could be "siblings".)

Though, after saying that. I would probably still like to own a "bottle". But this, ... only and purely for the "flask" itself. For I think the bottle is perfect, especially when it starts to "verdigris" over from the oxizidation. Just stunning !!! One of my all time fave "bottles" !!!
    If only the jus was as edgy as the bottle .....

Post Thanks / Like

Parfum1 is ridiculous for prices. I've picked way more than I should because of their 25% of coupons. On my next splurge I'm going to pick up L'anarchiste and Yatagan

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love cloves. But I don't like how they smell in L' Anarchiste. Alas, the bottle is cool as sh*t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Posted twice on accident.. sorry
    Last edited by CanwllCorfe; 13th August 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah I had high hopes for this one but it definitely didn't strike me as being all that weird or out there. I just get a heavy handed dose of spice with a splash of orange.. and some amber later on. I do enjoy it but I'm still on the lookout for more "out there"/unusual or dark scents

I think L'Anarchiste has been reformulated. I smelled the contents of a fresh bottle at a Paris Sephora recently, and it was lacking in its original "clove cigarette stubbed into an orange" accord.
    I think the bottle is strikingly original, if not a bit juvenille. More worthy of a Diesel fragrance. Now there's an idea: a Diesel fragrance in a diesel can!
    I always took it for a headstone, as the design makes it seem to be planted in the ground. I do understand that it's supposedly a gas can, but it would have been more effective and clearer if the design was of a free-standing gas can, rather than one planted on a base of what looks like gravel. At least that's the way I see it.
    I think the fragrance could find its true audience if it was put into one of Caron's standardized men's fragrance bottles.
    Also, the bottles floating around on the internet's discount websites are usually older, and therefore more likely to be the original formula.
    I love the stuff. Whomever at Caron came up with its top-to-bottom concept was really taking a chance. One that failed in the US for sure, I'm surprised that Homeland Security hasn't banned it for making people think bad thoughts, I certainly would have loved to share a bottle of it with Karl Rove!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th August 2009 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am a big fan of L' Anarchiste. The packaging and bottle are different and, IMO, quite elegant. Like Ruggles, I thought the bottle was a tomb stone but, whatever it is, I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    Parfum1 is ridiculous for prices. I've picked way more than I should because of their 25% of coupons. On my next splurge I'm going to pick up L'anarchiste and Yatagan
    Yeah ! I'm often so f@*%&n jealous of you guys in that part of the globe ! ... You guys can usually pick up frags for the most ridiculously cheap prices. It just aint fair

Post Thanks / Like

I am another of the big fans of this scent, the packaging, the mystique.