Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 64
  1. #31

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Your post, with all due respect, comes off as quite cynical and negative. Perhaps people don't care to acknowledge AIDS as much anymore because of the current and very dangerous ideas out there that AIDS is not a problem anymore, and that HIV is "curable" rather than merely treatable. It is still a problem, and I'm so glad we've evolved to understand that HIV/AIDS is not a "gay disease".
    Please don't think I'm trying to minimize your painful memories and associations, Ruggles. I hope that at some point you can disassociate yourself from these things... and that's not to say you should attempt to go back to Antaeus or Equipage just for that reason.
    Wow, that's certainly a bunch of of patronizing and judgmental sentences. Thanks for taking my experiences and projecting them through your point of view. Like I said before, I'm only speaking for myself and not for others. My only wish is that others could do the same. This place is giving me the creeps tonight, I'm signing off for the evening before I get another lecture.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th August 2009 at 05:58 AM.

  2. #32

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    I don't connect the 80's with AIDS anymore than I connect the 50's with polio. I don`t want this thread to be maudlin.

    And calling people ``brain dead`out of some misplaced hatred is worse than any `patronizing and judgmental sentences`.

    I suggest we talk about the 80`s fragrances before feelings are hurt any worse and this thread is closed.
    Last edited by weylin; 14th August 2009 at 06:05 AM.

  3. #33

    AnthonyDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    I guess I might not see how they are patronizing or judgmental statements because I might just be so stuck in my "point of view", which is a perspective you're quite unaware of. In spite of the fact I articulated and revealed my relation and empathy, you overlooked that in favor of going directly after the criticism. The cynical and negative tone of your provocative post is something I felt was worth remarking on, so I did.

    Also, I'm glad you bring up projection - as it appears this was/is the common denominator both in your contributions to this thread and your response to mine. No hard feelings. We can take this to a private discussion as to not detract from the integrity of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wow, that's certainly a bunch of of patronizing and judgmental sentences. Thanks for taking my experiences and projecting them through your point of view. Like I said before, I'm only speaking for myself and not for others. My only wish is that others could do the same. This place is giving me the creeps tonight, I'm signing off for the evening before I get another lecture.

  4. #34
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,226

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    My interest in fragrances started in the early 1990s. Although I'm easily old enough to have remembered the 1980s, I was indifferent back then about what scents people wore, so I don't have any specific memory of women drowning in Poison or guys bathing in Kouros. You're all aware of the references to "rivers of syrup" and all the other negative associations so many people have when it comes to the "powerscents" of the 80s. But I have to wonder if people are starting to reassess the qualities of those scents from that period now - many members of Basenotes certainly appreciate many of these scents, but I'm wondering if the rest of the world that enjoys perfume is starting to rethink the value of these scents.

    In a nutshell, I'm interested in your thoughts on a few facets of this issue:

    1. Why do you think so many people have such a negative view of powerscents (e.g., Antaeus, Poison, Opium, Giorgio, Kouros, Fendi Per Uomo, etc.), either feminine or masculine. Is it simply because those scents are loud, or is there more to it?:

    2. Do you think that there's a resurgence in interest in these scents, or is it really limited to enthusiasts like us? If you were to judge from the interest among BN members, one could say there is.

    What piqued my interest was a recent mention in the "unpopular opinions" thread by a member who described the 80s powerscent as an "anomaly" in perfume history. My thought is that with the 1990s, the era of "light" and "aquatic" scents, behind us, and the diversity of niche fragrances now, there's an opportunity now for us to step back and take another look at these powerscents and look at them as more than just loud, obnoxious "syrups". I'm not a particular fan of this genre, but there are some I really like, and a few like Antaeus and Kouros that I think are legitamite classics.

    Love to hear your views on these issues.

    For me, the nostalgic/sentimental associations I have with certain older powerhouses makes me appreciate them. While I am a fan of quite a number of modern fresh aquatics, older powerhouses seem to offer me a different experience altogether. People dislike certain types of scents for personal reasons that I certainly respect, it is the same for all fragrances. Being involved in Basenotes has exposed me to a whole lot of 80s or older powerhouses, some of which I have gone on to acquire because I truly enjoy them without any sentimental ties, and I am very appreciative of all who have contributed to that. I guess I am not an exclusive fan of any genre, be it niche, designer, older powerhouses etc. I am pretty easy to please I reckon

  5. #35

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    1. Why do you think so many people have such a negative view of powerscents (e.g., Antaeus, Poison, Opium, Giorgio, Kouros, Fendi Per Uomo, etc.), either feminine or masculine.
    I sort of agree and disagree with you there. "People"? Does that mean average Joe on the street? Because yes they have a negative view of powerscents because it's not what is being marketed to them anymore. They don't like the strong, mossy, smoky, musky (cats piss) notes because they currently believe that a man is meant to smell like "acqua" and "sweets" This is what the magazines tell them. This is what TV tells them. This is what 18 year old girls in a magazine say they want guys to smell like etc etc.

    However all the scents you mentioned are held in high regard by a lot of Basenoters. Maybe it's nostalgia or maybe it's just that being obsessive as we basenoters are, we can appreciate the make up of these scents. Maybe the "average" basenoter is old enough to remember them when they first came out.............. I could go on.

    I agree with all the talk of coke and cigarette smoke, these were the days of money and power etc and most people seem to distance themselves from the "arrogance" of that period in the 80's. You know that "screw anyone over to get to the top" attitude. Think American Psycho.

    I do not believe these scents are making any more of a come back than any other scent but they have never really gone away. You'll always smell someone wearing Poison, Anteus, Opium etc wherever you go and whenever you go there.

    I don't think the "powerhouse" idea will ever really become big business again because the general mass market taste has changed. For example look at the amount of people who love YSL M7 (what I'd call a modern powerhouse) on BN but the general public "Average Joe" did not like this scent, hence why It's never massively on display in dept stores. In saying that though Thierry Mugler's Angel and A*Men tick all the boxes of a "powerhouse" fragrance IMO and continue to outsell everything else all over the world. In 2008 Angel was the best selling fragrance in Paris.

    I still believe it comes down to one thing, do you like how it smells?
    Last edited by Andyjreid; 14th August 2009 at 09:44 AM.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

  6. #36

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Power scents smell as wrong today as the large shoulder pads that were worn along with them look today. I believe in evolution and I think our sense of smell has evolved since then.
    I tend to view history as cyclical or, more precisely, a spiral. A part from sheer technical progress I don't see much evidence of human evolution. There is no greater beauty than in the cave paintings of Lascaux etc. Has any perfume improved on Jicky or Shalimar? Fashions come, go, return. In twenty years nouveau-power scent wearers (with shoulderpads ) may be bitching about the dark ages of the aquatic era.
    anyhow, I think the debate is framed wrong.
    1. there are great and awful powerscents, just as there are great and awful transparent ones. We can debate which are which, of course. I won't accept that a strong perfume in the typical 80s construction is inherently inferior
    2. you can't blame the perfume for the 80s habitus of over-application. The perfume may even be better than the intentions of its producers, if you know what I mean.
    3. The past is constantly rewritten from the perspective of the present. I do think the style will ultimately return, in some new incarnation and that will lead to a renewed appreciation of these perfumes, whatever one thinks of that.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  7. #37

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    You must have been the person I was talking about who made mention of powerscents being an "anomaly" in the now closed "Unpopular Opinions" thread. If 80s power scents are an anomaly, can't you say that about ANY new development in perfumery? If that's true, then aquatic scents are an anomaly (personally I have a hard time seeing people wearing most aquatics 25 years from now), just as are oud fragrances put out by niche firms these days.
    You might be suprised by this but I agree with you that many of the aquatics will be gone with the wind in 25 years or even less...for the simple reason that so many are quite similar. What supports this is that there is some measured return to retro scents already. I'm speaking here of true aquatics...there have always been "fresh scents" of course a very broad category...

    Powerhouse and 80's scents truly don't begin exactly in the 1980's.... in the same way that the "Great Schism" between Eastern and Western Christianity didn't begin in 1054...maybe starting in the late 700;s 800's with Charlemagne...and so you are correct to look back at the seeds of powerhouse...throughout history...and I think it goes without saying that we are looking here at scents for men...and let's face we're talking colognes here...things happened faster with production and advertsing.

    Again, not simply the quality of scents but an approach to scents, with certain notes/combos considered masculine winners, and yes, as in the Bionic man..."We have the technology..."

    I think stepping back slowly into the 70's. 60's, 50's...40's 30's...and all the way through esp. barbershop and drugstore and eau de cologne....

    It would also be good to look at Polo Green as a scent that made sillage and projection "acceptable"...and why...

    In some ways fans of powerhouse scents (of which I am one of them, in a specific way) want it both ways: on one hand they can admit that something like Polo made it more acceptable for the average guy to wear a strong projecting scent...(and not simply based on overapplication of Aramis or Brut)...and here's the simple part: that before that, it was not considered that "acceptable," and not just for a few years...



    BTW, I think Polo is exceptional, a monument...a living one...and hardly needs even my opinion.

    I think the "style" has never quite left us,,,thanks to Axe sprays (of which I am fond, some of them) and overapplication of aquatics and fresh scents....and powerhouse scents such as Platinum Egoiste...(some will disagrree as in any discussion with this interp of that scent).

    And to agree with the_good_life...the notion that powerhouse scents are "intrinsically inferior" is absurd as is the notion that "fresh scents" or "aquatics" are intriniscally "superior." In some ways, "aquatics" are like (follows the reasoning) of the host of "moss guarantees success" mentality of many of the 70-'s and 80's scents...but the proliferation of the aquatics makes this less obvious...and the notes here are different.. in a way, so many are the Smaltas and Krizia Uomos of their day..with even individual companies using built-in obsolescence and need for alleged variety as a basis for more of the same...
    Last edited by ortho123; 14th August 2009 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #38
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    I am part of your imagination
    Posts
    1,967

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    My favorite fragrances are all powerhouses from the 70 and 80. I think CK screwed everything up coming up with perhaps the first mass marketed Unisex fragrances. I like masculine fragrances and the 70 and 80 brought the best of it.
    The only easy day was yesterday


  9. #39

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    If 80s power scents are an anomaly, can't you say that about ANY new development in perfumery? If that's true, then aquatic scents are an anomaly (personally I have a hard time seeing people wearing most aquatics 25 years from now), just as are oud fragrances put out by niche firms these days.
    Oud is not something new in fragrance, unless you limit perfumery as something of "Western-style fragrance."

  10. #40

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    If you wore or like Halston's fragrances you were most certainly affected by the devastation of the plague called AIDS.
    Or you just......like the scent.

  11. #41
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Oud is not something new in fragrance, unless you limit perfumery as something of "Western-style fragrance."
    I know oud isn't new, especially in the Mideast, where I hear it's been around for centuries. What I meant was that it seems just about every niche house these days has an oud scent. Kind of like acquatics in the designer realm.

  12. #42

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    [WOW, what a good thread.

    From a newbie perspective;

    yes, I first went to the aquatics, I found some I liked and then I went to the power fragrances. I think i went there next because

    1) discussed often in BN,

    2) normally the price was reasonable and easy to obtain,

    3) I thought they would be easier for me to understand, my untrained nose could recognize leather, tobacco, vice lavender, anise, etc.

    While I know I'll have to come back to power scents again when I have more experience, I am now trying to move toward more subtle but also complex Fragrances. I need to learn to recognize the other scents (lavender, anise, etc).

    Thank you for this very helpful thread

  13. #43
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    As an aside, I have to say that I think the term "powerscent" is pretty hilarious, like Popeye eating spinach. Ka-POW!!

  14. #44
    jbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan, The Great Lakes State
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    You know, it's funny, I post on a few different forums and message boards, and some of them make me feel really old when I realize I may be talking to someone who is barely in their teens. Basenotes, I think, is the only forum that consistently makes me feel young! There are many members here in their 40's, 50's, 60's... and I think that's a great thing, it keeps the quality of discussion high with less nonsense than some other forums. But anyway, my point is, I feel fortunate in a way to have been only three years old at the close of the 80's. Since I don't really have any memories, good or bad, of that decade, I have a certain freedom to judge scents from that era without the burden of potentially negative associations interfering with my appreciation of the scent. I will admit though, that my experience with this type of scent is still very limited, so I look forward to trying some of these very loved/hated/controversial scents!

  15. #45
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbr View Post
    You know, it's funny, I post on a few different forums and message boards, and some of them make me feel really old when I realize I may be talking to someone who is barely in their teens. Basenotes, I think, is the only forum that consistently makes me feel young! There are many members here in their 40's, 50's, 60's... and I think that's a great thing, it keeps the quality of discussion high with less nonsense than some other forums. But anyway, my point is, I feel fortunate in a way to have been only three years old at the close of the 80's. Since I don't really have any memories, good or bad, of that decade, I have a certain freedom to judge scents from that era without the burden of potentially negative associations interfering with my appreciation of the scent. I will admit though, that my experience with this type of scent is still very limited, so I look forward to trying some of these very loved/hated/controversial scents!
    I was basically as old then as you are now.

    None of us can take credit or blame when we're born. Our generation is our generation and it exposes us to the good and not so good of its time.

    I don't have the "freedom" of association you speak of, but am free to try current frags as well as classics I missed back in the day. I think our sense of smell gets attuned to what we are exposed to in formative years and then without realizing, we use it as a measuring stick. I know I do.

    I do lament the ingredient changes in today's offerings, however, if I was growing up today, current releases would be the norm. In the end, it's all good. You don't miss what you never had...and in my case, there's always vintage sellers.

  16. #46
    jbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Michigan, The Great Lakes State
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I was basically as old then as you are now.

    None of us can take credit or blame when we're born. Our generation is our generation and it exposes us to the good and not so good of its time.

    I don't have the "freedom" of association you speak of, but am free to try current frags as well as classics I missed back in the day. I think our sense of smell gets attuned to what we are exposed to in formative years and then without realizing, we use it as a measuring stick. I know I do.

    I do lament the ingredient changes in today's offerings, however, if I was growing up today, current releases would be the norm. In the end, it's all good. You don't miss what you never had...and in my case, there's always vintage sellers.
    Very true! All good points and well taken.

    Anyway, I would like to address one of the initial questions posed by shamu, regarding a possible resurgence in popularity of these kinds of fragrances. While I have not specifically noticed such a phenomenon, I think it's certainly possible. During this past decade music, fashion, etc. inspired by the 80's has at various times become popular with the younger generation, so why not fragrance? To some younger people I think these scents can be refreshing and a little exotic, because, even if some of them may have been ubiquitous when they first came out, they are often considerably less popular these days, and compositionally they are very different from the mainstream scents of today. And since many of them are also quite affordable nowadays it gives people an opportunity to smell a bit different without spending too much.

  17. #47
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,330

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    It is entirely possible and even probable that 80's scents would make some sort of comeback. However keep in mind that whenever a retro style is brought back to the forefront (whether it is scents or fashion), it is always done with a modern twist. So while some of those famous notes and accords may return, maybe they're not quite as potent as the real thing. Another possibility would be to bring the strength back, but with more modern notes and accords...
    Last edited by KMF; 16th August 2009 at 01:52 AM.

  18. #48

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I tend to view history as cyclical or, more precisely, a spiral. A part from sheer technical progress I don't see much evidence of human evolution. There is no greater beauty than in the cave paintings of Lascaux etc. Has any perfume improved on Jicky or Shalimar? Fashions come, go, return. In twenty years nouveau-power scent wearers (with shoulderpads ) may be bitching about the dark ages of the aquatic era.
    So in your view we are just the same old bruts with more complex machines to hide behind? I like that. My view on humanity is that it isn't always necessarily moving forward, I also believe in 'devolution'. Things move back and forth, get stuck, make huge leaps and then for some reason we sometimes enter a dark age.
    I agree that in the pantheon of good things we will always find the Lascaux cave paintings and Beethoven's symphonies, but do you honestly think we'll find a bottle of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui sitting on high? I find it amazing that Annick Goutal, Jean Laporte and Diptyque were producing their subtle and amazing works at the same time things like Giorgio and Drakkar Noir were being concocted. Talk about a cultural war!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th August 2009 at 01:29 AM.

  19. #49

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    If there is a resurgance of 80s powerscent, maybe because some of us are sick of the anemic light aquatic scents that my teenage-hood was dominated by (I'm on the tail-end of Gen. X).

    Or maybe, like Luca Turin's review of "Coco" - it is really a beautiful fragrance with negative association.

    Or perhaps because there are people who wear a 1980s "marketed-as-feminine" power scent to ensure they will not smell like any other guy within 20 miles...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

  20. #50
    SoGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    EXCELLENT post .... didn't grown up in the 80's but grew into manhood then.
    Fantasticly relative explanation Weylin.


    Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    Many of us who grew up during the 80's look at that time as Happy Days. You have to remember that we were coming out of the dreadful 70's and it's misery index.
    In the 80's, there was an optimism in the country. New kinds of music. Cable. MTV. Live Aid. Pee-wees- Playhouse. Back to the Future. Fun. Silliness.
    People wanted to smell good, and wanted others to know it. Scents had to compete against each other to get noticed. My friend used to wear Azzaro Homme like crazy until I wore my Giorgio Beverly Hills. It took him a while before he found out what it was and switched. People wanted to get noticed, and that included fragrance.

    Now we live in the age of the offended. If I don't like your fragrance, you don't have the right to offend me. I'll complain. File charges. This is a fragrance-free building on smoke-free property in a gun-free zone. Don't offend me.
    We went from big hair to no hair. Silly music to bland music. Strong fragrances to no fragrance. Skinny ties to dirty jeans. Men and women to androgyny.

    I hate to break this to you but there are still many "power scents" made. Le Male? Black Aoud? Body Kouros? A*men? Tom Ford.. anything?

    P.S. Cocaine still exists and is as common it was in the 80's, but people have to smoke cigarettes outdoors now.
    And now we have Oxy, Ecstasy, and Meth... goody!

    Wear what you like and enjoy it!

  21. #51
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    4,204

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Don't you think RL and RG are referencing 70's and 60's frags more than the 80's beasts? BTW, I love them both.
    You are right in your observation, but in terms of sillage or "strength" it does remind me of the scents discussed in this thread.

  22. #52

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    So in your view we are just the same old bruts with more complex machines to hide behind? I like that. My view on humanity is that it isn't always necessarily moving forward, I also believe in 'devolution'. Things move back and forth, get stuck, make huge leaps and then for some reason we sometimes enter a dark age.
    I agree that in the pantheon of good things we will always find the Lascaux cave paintings and Beethoven's symphonies, but do you honestly think we'll find a bottle of Oscar de la Renta pour Lui sitting on high? I find it amazing that Annick Goutal was producing her subtle and amazing work at the same time things like Giorgio were being concocted.
    I've got to go and put on my wide shoulder suit and flip that Huey Lewis LP over!
    Not a fan of Oscar myself, but what about Versailles pour homme, Or Black, Sander Man Pure, Leonard pour homme, V&A, Antaeus, Yatagan or even the Ur-Power scent of them all, Knize Ten?

    As to Huey :

    "Patrick Bateman: Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
    Paul Allen: They're OK.
    Patrick Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
    Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
    Patrick Bateman: Yes, Allen?
    Paul Allen: Why are there copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
    Patrick Bateman: No, Allen.
    Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
    Patrick Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
    [raises axe above head]
    Patrick Bateman: Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Patrick Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FU..ING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FU..ING BASTARD!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI (viewer discretion advised)

    So yeah, that'sa part of the 80s (and the human condition), but there's always also The Pixies.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 15th August 2009 at 01:47 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  23. #53

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Not a fan of Oscar myself, but what about Versailles pour homme, Or Black, Sander Man Pure, Leonard pour homme, V&A, Antaeus, Yatagan or even the Ur-Power scent of them all, Knize Ten?

    As to Huey :

    "Patrick Bateman: Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
    Paul Allen: They're OK.
    Patrick Bateman: Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
    Paul Allen: Hey Halberstram.
    Patrick Bateman: Yes, Allen?
    Paul Allen: Why are there copies of the style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?
    Patrick Bateman: No, Allen.
    Paul Allen: Is that a rain coat?
    Patrick Bateman: Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.
    [raises axe above head]
    Patrick Bateman: Hey Paul!
    [he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
    Patrick Bateman: TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU FU..ING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FU..ING BASTARD!"
    Now I have to break out my Bret Easton Ellis? I'm too square to be square and therefore, I'll never be hip.
    Yes, the ones you mention are all great works of perfumery, but isn't Knize from the paleolithic era?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th August 2009 at 01:35 AM.

  24. #54
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I find it amazing that Annick Goutal, Jean Laporte and Diptyque were producing their subtle and amazing works at the same time things like Giorgio and Drakkar Noir were being concocted. Talk about a cultural war!
    Ruggles, you just inadvertently raised an issue I've been wondering about: even though many or all of the "powerscents" were created in Europe, was the whole trend focused primarily in the U.S.?

    Your mention of Annick Goutal caught my interest because that's overall my favorite fragrance house and I consider her scents to be of the classic French style of perfumery, so I too find in amazing that she was creating marvels like Eau de Monsieur and Sables around the same time stuff like Roberto Cappucci and Fendi Per Uomo were being released. Again, it makes me wonder if we're merely talking about an American 80s trend.

  25. #55

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Ruggles, you just inadvertently raised an issue I've been wondering about: even though many or all of the "powerscents" were created in Europe, was the whole trend focused primarily in the U.S.?

    Your mention of Annick Goutal caught my interest because that's overall my favorite fragrance house and I consider her scents to be of the classic French style of perfumery, so I too find in amazing that she was creating marvels like Eau de Monsieur and Sables around the same time stuff like Roberto Cappucci and Fendi Per Uomo were being released. Again, it makes me wonder if we're merely talking about an American 80s trend.
    I worked for Valentino in the 80's and the US was his biggest market. This was true of all the French and Italian designer companies during that time. American was eventually replaced by Russia and the Middle East, but that has now gone bust. China and India, the two anticipated big markets for luxury goods never delivered on their expectations.
    So, yes - I do think that the US was a huge target for all those big hair fragrances. I hung out with a lot Parisians and exiled Persians in the 80's and they all wore things like Equipage, Vetiver and Eau Sauvage, total class.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th August 2009 at 01:48 AM.

  26. #56

    Ron199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The great MidWest....
    Posts
    2,904

    Post Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    T o give you the short version of a long story. The fragrances from that era were made with panache! They demanded a certain sense of class, and style. Which is why so many have stood the test of time. IMHO
    Last edited by Ron199; 15th August 2009 at 01:54 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

  27. #57

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Yes, the ones you mention are all great works of perfumery, but isn't Knize from the paleolithic era?
    1924. But all those leathery chypre powerballs have a Knize gene in 'em somewhere.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  28. #58
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I hung out with a lot Parisians and exiled Persians in the 80's and they all wore things like Equipage, Vetiver and Eau Sauvage, total class.
    Glad you clarified the mention of Equipage! I can't remember if it was you or another member who wrote earlier in this thread that Equipage was an 80s powerscent, or something like that. I thought, huh?! Equipage is the antithesis of a powerscent, and I love it, though not for that reason. If you've read my other posts, you'll know I get defensive about Equipage!

  29. #59
    DustB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    9,211

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I was basically as old then as you are now.

    None of us can take credit or blame when we're born. Our generation is our generation and it exposes us to the good and not so good of its time.

    I don't have the "freedom" of association you speak of, but am free to try current frags as well as classics I missed back in the day. I think our sense of smell gets attuned to what we are exposed to in formative years and then without realizing, we use it as a measuring stick. I know I do.

    I do lament the ingredient changes in today's offerings, however, if I was growing up today, current releases would be the norm. In the end, it's all good. You don't miss what you never had...and in my case, there's always vintage sellers.
    Whoa! Got that right. Plus one, Word!, and keep on truckin' right there, bro.

    Could not be said better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  30. #60
    shamu1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North Shore, Mass.
    Posts
    2,356

    Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

    One or the reasons I posted this thread was that because some fragrances have gotten a lot of attention on Basenotes that are heavy and strong like the 80s powerscents were. I'm talking about scents like A*Men, B*Men, and Mazzolari Lui and Patchouly. Are these the powerscents of the future?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000