Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AromiErotici

Default Re: 1980s Style "Powerscents" - the bad rap and a comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    One or the reasons I posted this thread was that because some fragrances have gotten a lot of attention on Basenotes that are heavy and strong like the 80s powerscents were. I'm talking about scents like A*Men, B*Men, and Mazzolari Lui and Patchouly. Are these the powerscents of the future?
    The term powerscents can be misleading. I use it incorrectly at times to describe a frag with maybe even borderline strength from the 1980's. "Powerscents" to me almost mean anything from the late 70's to 1990. It's a time, not necessarily a sillage monster if you know what I mean.

A*Men and Lui are strong ones. B*Men is moderate at least to me and I haven't sampled Patchouli.

I think powerful frags that are recent and not yet created will be from niche houses exclusively. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I'm talking about scents like A*Men, B*Men, and Mazzolari Lui and Patchouly. Are these the powerscents of the future?
    Actually, they're the "powerscents" of today. Power scents never went away, especially for women. Amariage, Rush, Insolence have kept the tradition alive. I agree with you about the Muglers being neo-power scents, not the Mazzolaris though - too many identifiable ingredients. I think the other "powerscent" company is Jean-Paul Gaultier.

[QUOTE=AromiErotici;1590846}
    I think powerful frags that are recent and not yet created will be from niche houses exclusively. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about the strong frags coming from the niche companies. I think it's because the larger designer firms seem to be the ones reformulating everything, and in the process watering down their fragrances (though not in all cases). Considering the relatively low output and crushing prices, I certainly hope that the niche firms will be putting out scents that have some muscle!

By the way, you gotta try the Mazz Patchouly. It's the best patchouli-based fragrance I've ever smelled, though you need a second mortgage to buy a bottle.
    Last edited by shamu1; 16th August 2009 at 02:44 AM.

One nice thing about the 1980s powerscents is that some of them (e.g., GF and Quorum) are now quite inexpensive. If the fragrance doesn't work, there's no loss in tossing it. Another is the built-in fogcutter function - they were meant to be smelled over and beyond smokes and sweat, and still perform even if one doesn't bathe in them. Some are even very good fragrances in their own right!

And on top of all that, it really screws with a former yuppie's head to smell what they'd originally associated with a 30-something Wall Streeter on a 40-something techie.