Code of Conduct

Default Which men's frags do you wear?

Hi gals,

I've been sniffing a lot of fragrances lately and after many floral and sweet smelling things, my nose is itching for something a little different. So I'm curious as to which men's (or unisex) scents work well for women? (I bought my husband a small Halston Z-14 the other day and I really liked the smell of it (probably more than he did, lol).

So, gals, what are your favorite men's colognes (or unisex scents) that you personally like to wear? And guys, which men's (or unisex) frags do you like to smell on a woman?

Thanks!

Default Re: Which men's frags do you wear?

I actually have very few feminine favorites. A list of my favorite unisex or masculines, narrowed to ones that I wear and own at least a decant of:

Unisex:
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Tea for Two
    Hermessence Vetiver Tonka
    Parfumerie Generale Cedre Sandaraque
    Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale
    Parfumerie Generale Cuir Venenum
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte

Masculines:
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    Creed Original Vetiver
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Navegar
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes

Crayfish

Chanel Egoiste, Cartier Declaration Essence, Dior Homme, Guerlain Homme, Rocabar, Eau de Baux, Histoires de Parfums Casanova, Bond No. 9 New Haarlem, Chanel Allure and Allure Edition Blanche, Eau de Patou, Iskander, Avignon, Serge Noire, Encens Flamboyant, the three Kapsules, Woody, Floriental, and Light.
    Evenstar

Off the top of my head...

Chanel Egoiste
    Dior Homme
    Divine L'Homme Sage
    Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger
    Miller Harris Tangerine Vert
    Bois 1920 Sandalo e The
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouly
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC and EDP
    Mazzolari Lui
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Institute Tres Bien Cologne a L'Italienne
    Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
    Profumo Hindu Kush
    Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve
    Tierry Mugler A*Men
    Last edited by Asha; 14th August 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks Crayfish and Arwen - I'll have to look into those that you've listed.

Crayfish, why on the whole do you prefer men's/unisex? For me, I'm still trying to learn my way around perfumes, but I would say I'm not good with certain overpowering flowers or extremely sweet fragrances. That said, I do like sweet, but it has to be a certain kind of sweet. I don't really have the vocabulary yet to describe it.

Thanks again for your replies. Anyone else want to add their faves?

Basenotes Institution

My fave has to be Guerlain Vetiver- magical . I would wear that everyday if I wasn't addicted so many others .
    I also like Encre Noire for men but there's also a ladies' version now .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th August 2009 at 04:57 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by JitterpigJen View Post
    Crayfish, why on the whole do you prefer men's/unisex?
    Hmmm. I tend to dislike powdery, or aggressively sweet-floral or sweet-fruity, or aggressively aldehydic notes, and women's fragrances seem to emphasize those notes more frequently. I also dislike very "girly" fragrances, which eliminates a number of women's fragrances. And while I often admire them, I'm not comfortable wearing sexy vampy fragrances, which eliminates more.

So that means that my general dislikes have the result of eliminating more women's fragrances than unisex or male fragrances.

There may also be notes that I like that are slightly more often found in men's fragrances, but I'm less clear on that. (Sandalwood and vetiver and cedar, maybe?) And, come to think of it, tobacco and leather and coffee, which I like, seem to tend more toward the vampy in women's fragrances and less so in men's and unisex, so that could be part of it.

I do realize that every single generalization I'm making may be wrong.

Looking at my wardrobe, I realize that two out of the three women's fragrances that I've given four or five stars to have a strong galbanum note, and the other has a non-indolic jasmine as a primary note. So I seem to like the sharp green women's fragrances, and less often like the others.

Crayfish

Blog Entries

Many great scents listed here that I love to wear myself. I'll add another favorite of mine: Dior Eau Sauvage.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I wear loads of men's fragrances always have. Started with my big brother's Old Spice as a child.

Chanel
    Egoiste
    Pour Mouchoir

Guerlian
    Hertiage
    Mouchchoir de Monsieur

Creed
    Bois du Portigual
    Santal Imperial
    Royal Delight

MPG
    Eau de Illes
    Iris Blu Gris

Penhaligions
    LP no9 Men
    Hamman Bouquet

Di Nicolai
    New York
    Baladin

Dior
    Homme

I consider all the SL's to be unisex.
    DONNA

I agree with Donna on the Serge Lutens range. In fact, I think of most 'niche' perfumes as unisex.
    I like leather, incense and woods far more than I like flowers and fruit, so I too find myself attracted to fragrances that might easily be worn by men.

Funnily enough, I am wearing Guerlain's Heritage today. It's a belter, so is Habit Rouge.
    Jicky is marketed to women but worn by Sean Connery, so I guess that's unisex
    Dzing! is unisex and fabulous, as is Bulgari Black (both leathers and with a twist of 'odd' that makes them really good. The Bulgari is very very wearable by either sex).

I love eaux de Cologne and fresh citrussy fragrances in the summer, so that takes in everything from O de Lancome to Eau de Guerlain via Cartier Declaration and Eau d' Hermes.

And then of course there are some feminine fragrances that are deeply butch - Bandit, I'm looking at you! But I think Jolie Madame and Miss Balmain are pretty strict too. And don't get me started on Cabochard!

to be honest, I think that a lot of the time the difference is only in the marketing. Dior Homme is a beautiful fragrance for a woman, as is Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. And anyone - man, woman or alien - would smell divine IMHO in Chanel's Cuir de Russie.

You might well enjoy the next Speak and Sniff on the first saturday of September - that's when we do 'gender benders' - last year it really opened my eyes to male fragrance and encouraged me to break my stereotyped attitude to scents. I've had so much more fun now I'm sniffing both sides of the perfumery!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I actually agree on all the suggestions so far To add a few more,I particularly love L'ombre dans l'eau, Czech and Speake # 88,Musc Ravageur, Serge Lutens Chene and Chergui.All these are unisex. You should also try to seek out Chanel's Cuir de russie.It's aimed towards women,but very unisex in my opinion.
    Last edited by ineespenes; 14th August 2009 at 09:40 AM.

I don't wear masculine fragrances on a regular basis, but a few I've worn and enjoyed include Givenchy Gentleman (years ago, I don't know if it's still the same), Dior Eau Sauvage, Terre d'Hermes, Equipage by Hermes, Grey Flannel. I have a bottle of Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, which I like but almost never wear. Maybe I will wear it in cool weather. Can't convince my husband to wear scent, I think I've burned out his nose with all my own fragrance wearing. I'm sure there're a couple of others, but can't think of them at the moment. I agree that a lot of the niche ones seem meant for either gender.

Great thread. I'm enjoying reading all the responses. I have recently discovered ADP Colonia Intensa
    and have purchased a full bottle of it--it's the only fragrance I have worn the past couple of weeks- I'm in love with it. Dior Eau Sauvage and Penhaligon's Castile are other favourites of mine.

Love and Light
    Sheglows.

Let's see... There are made "just for the boys."

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier: Parfum d'Habit, Jardin du Nil

Crown Perfumery: Crown Park Royal, Sandringham

Chanel Allure Homme

YSL L'Homme

Guerlain Habit Rouge

D'Orsay: Le Dandy, Arome Trois

Penahaligon's: Blenheim Bouquet, Hammam Bouquet

Truefitt and Hill: 1805
    Last edited by Primrose; 14th August 2009 at 02:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Bulgari Black is stunning too - unisex .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yatagan, Le 3e homme, L'Anarchiste, Philippe Venet Couture pour liu

็Here we go..

Platinum Egoiste
    L'Air du desert Marocain (I think this one is unisex?)
    Hanae Mori HM for Men
    Kiton Men
    Kiton Black
    L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Romance Silver
    Rive Gauche
    Green Iris Tweed
    Bond no.9 Wall street
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Azzaro pour homme
    Baldessarini Ambre
    Habit Rouge
    Dior Homme
    Encre Noir
    Canali Prestige
    D&G By
    Dior Higher Energy

Those are the ones I really really love, some new crush and some old flame.

These are male/unisex ones that I love, and several have already been mentioned.
    Bond No 9 New Haarlem
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain SDV
    Sonoma Scent Studios Fireside and Fireside Intense

I have been venturing into the mens' aisle more and more lately. I have allergies to many florals and so a large portion of fragrances marketed for women don't work for me. I love several Serge Lutens, including
    Chene,
    Chergui,
    Daim Blond,
    Amber Sultan,
    Arabie

I also wear:
    Rochas Men,
    Bvlgari Black,
    A*men,
    New Haarlem,
    Tumulte PH,
    Heeley Cardinal,
    Etro Ambra
    Frapin 1270

I have tested and enjoyed some others including:
    Musc Ravageur, I really need a bottle of this.
    Gucci Envy PH
    Le Dandy
    Varvatos Vintage
    Terre d'Hermes

Sometimes I buy them for my husband and wear them myself, but since he is not into fragrance I am fooling no one.

Fabulous suggestions everyone! I think I'm going to go armed with a print out of all your lists and start sniffing

I officially own only one men's frag so far - Habit Rouge - which I bought unsniffed while buying some other Guerlain decants. In the end I decided to get 2 oz - so glad I did!

Btw, I. too, am one who doesn't like to be constantly hounded while testing fragrances. Are the SA's more laid back at the men's frag counter?

Thanks all for your suggestions,

Jenny

I go for the colognes, vetivers and citrus brights, which are resolutely unisex to my mind: Mugler Cologne, Penhaligon's Douro, Chanel Cologne, Carthusier Mediterraneo (enjoyed by George Clooney, apparently!), Creed's GIT and Original Vetiver.

For those scents marketed as 'masculines', I favour Penhaligon's Opus 1870 and Czech and Speake No. 88.

Frankly, some of my 'feminine' leathers have got bigger balls than most of these.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Lutens:
    Ambre Sultan
    Daim Blond

L'Artisan:
    Dzongkha

B Never:
    Dear John
    Breath of God

Guerlain:
    Vetiver

Miller Harris:
    Terre de Bois

(Used to dabble with Egoiste as well, but have never owned any!)

Another vote for Dior Eau Sauvage.

Basenotes Plus

Many of my favorites have already been mentioned:

Habit Rouge
    Heritage (my husband recently discovered this one and nicked it off me, so now we share )
    Santal Imperial
    Envy pour Homme
    Le 3eme Homme
    Egoiste
    Le Dandy

I'll add

Boucheron Jaipur Homme
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Hermes Rocabar
    Sables
    Ambre Precieux
    Penhaligon's Endymion

Love them all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Another vote for Guerlain Vetiver....it's wonderful. I've been meaning to try Dior Eau Savage.....
    Last edited by pomander; 15th August 2009 at 02:40 AM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

I'm suprised that none of the ladies have mentioned Versace The Dreamer. I have read many reviews that say it could easily be worn by a woman. I recently smelled it again and I agree. Any thoughts, ladies?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    I'm suprised that none of the ladies have mentioned Versace The Dreamer. I have read many reviews that say it could easily be worn by a woman. I recently smelled it again and I agree. Any thoughts, ladies?
    Oh how did I forget this one?! I have a mini and have been meaning to get a full bottle. It is wonderful and yes, a woman could wear it with ease.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I don't think there is any masc that I won't at least try on myself, especially ambers and leathers. One of my favorite newest masculines that I love and share with DH is Ormonde Jayne Man. Also really love New York as well. Anything I buy for my hubby I make sure I love for myself as well, and is fair game for either of us.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Yatagan (there's nothing like it)
    Some of the Guerlain Eaux
    Grey Flannel

Interesting to see the thread. After hangin' at Basenotes for a bit, it's really warped my sense of "masculine" vs. "feminine"

Unless it says "Homme" or "for men" or "massive boy juice" or something on the bottle.

That said, the "traditionally" masculine scents I find myself grabbing are:
    - Knize Ten
    - C&S No. 88
    - vetiver anything.....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Along with Wordbird, I sneak a spritz of the husbands' Heritage (by Guerlain) every now & again!

I just posted a poll about this, and started a thread about whether fragrance "gender" choices change with age, and why.

Me? I wear Angel Men, Avon Mesmerize for Men, and a couple of "dark" patchouli- or vetiver-led blends of my own.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Pi
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men

I wear Habit Rouge and Caron Pour Une Homme often. I love M7 but only wear it going to bed. I think the SLs are unisex but for what it's worth, I wear 5'o clock.