Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOTD: Friday 14th August 2009

Today I am wearing Guerlian's Heritage and Small is wearing Eau de Tweety Pie. She bought it for herself on holiday in France, along with some Fragonard Fleurs d'Oranger, which impressed me WAY more.

Hope you're all having a funky Friday - weekend almost here!
    xxx
    Last edited by Wordbird; 14th August 2009 at 09:21 AM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: SOTD: Friday 14th August 2009

Lillie- Herzenstaubchen !
    Perfumenut !
    Happy Birthdays, you two ;-)

Such a joy to see all the outpouring for ComDiva yesterday...
    So many bunnies love her.
    And somebunny may have a package- today or tomorrow, I think ;-)

Had a marvellous day at the MFA yesterday w/ Vetivresse; he Fung Wah'd up here, and we celebrated his birthday, too.

Wordie- kisses to you two sillies !

Off to work, in EL PC JWM.
    Ummmm.
    This augurs well.

Shoutout for our SMM, who now will write reviews for Fragrantica !
    Well done, boyo ;-)

May your Friday be suave.....

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Parfums DelRae Eau Illuminee.

Notes include bergamot, basil, French lavender, wild aromatic herbs, vanilla, tonka bean, and orris.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Spiritueuse Double Vanille
    one spray under my shirt, cause I guess it´s going to be a warm day today.
    ... since I´m back from holiday I´ve been craving to wear it.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Friday 14th August 2009

COLONIA ASSOLUTA for another very hot day in Lisbon

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

TGI Friday! :bounce:
    I'm in Eau de Shalimar.

Still pumped about the Summer Blind Sniff and wearing Eau des Merveilles today. I can pretend it's summer can't I?

Good morning all Today is a rather nice day ,with less grey clouds than what has been the case lately.Was in the mood for Nu edp, so that is my scent of choice for today.

Good morning
    I am in Marc Jacobs Blush
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

It's foggy this morning, and I'm drenched in Gardenia Musk by Ava Luxe . Not that the one has anything to do with the other, but oh well. I can smell no musk in this at all, but the gardenia is very pretty and true smelling, too. Going down into the city today to meet my husband and his boss for lunch. That's always fun.

TGIF! ♥

Inouï by Shiseido

Thank you chaya for the support. It is definitely nice to have someone ask me to write for them.
    As opposed to annoying everyone with my daily musings.
    Never fear I'll still be here Monday through Friday with my continued stream of consciousness.

Today I am wearing a discovery that chaya opened my eyes to.

Molinard Habanita

I have pretty much set foot in every country in the Western Hemisphere, but one, Cuba. What is funny is that for a country that I have never set foot in and only seen from the deck of a sailboat in passing I have a vivid picture of what it must be like. That mental picture comes from the Cuban ex-patriates that moved to Miami in the 60's. As a kid I would listen to the stories of Havana and the countryside of Cuba and soak it all in. While many people would focus on tobacco and rum as the scents they most associate with Cuba there is one other scent I also associate with Cuba, flowers. One of our neighbors, Sra. Menendez, grew a garden in her yard, full of tropical flowers. She would tell me the story of how, in her home in Havana, she had the most beautiful garden. She took the time to teach a young man about the different flowers in her garden and to identify them and they all had a distinct smell. I am reminded of Sra. Menendez's garden everytime I wear the scent created in 1921 for Molinard, Habanita. While there is tobacco present in this scent, this is more like a stroll in a tropical garden and what makes this a stand-out scent for me is that it is like a walk in a garden as each floral note seems to appear very distinctly only to be replaced by the next one. The top of Habanita starts off with a light breeze of bergamot and cedar and then I enter the olfactory garden and the first floral note I get is lavender. Thisi is a very powdery lavender and it might be too powdery for some but it doesn't last long before I get a hint of orange blossom then comes jasmine, rose, heliotrope, and ylang ylang all in succession. underneath all of this is an earthy accord which really brings to mind the garden milieu of cedar mulch and dirt underneath lush florals. As Habanita progresses into the base the florals fade to the background and amber, leather, vanilla, and tobacco come to the fore. These four notes combine to create a divine drydown in Habanita that smells great. Habanita is a long lasting scent with a lot of projection. If you are not a fan of florals this is not the scent for you. If you are a fan of florals this is a scent which allows everyone of them present to have their moment in the spotlight and shine. For me Habanita is like a walk in Sra. Menendez's garden all over again.

Have a Funky Friday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Today is our 10th wedding anniversary :-) We celebrated yesterday as i have to work tonight :-( I wore Isabey Gardenia and felt amazing in it. Today? Not sure...feeling a tad hungover so might just do a little Monyette Paris Cashmere Mist by the pool then possibly Ajne's Fleur Blanche (thank you, kumquat!)

VM, re: Amande Honorable, not for me at all. Thin and pale almonds, drained of all creaminess, and washed over with detergent
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Thank you chaya for the support. It is definitely nice to have someone ask me to write for them.
    As opposed to annoying everyone with my daily musings.
    Never fear I'll still be here Monday through Friday with my continued stream of consciousness.
    Good thing, we'd hate to lose you! You're not going anywhere, Mister! Congratulations, by the way. We all enjoy your reviews, seriously SMM.

And I LOVE Habanita! Taolady kindly sent me a decant and I've been in love with it. It's full bottle worthy for sure. Isn't L'Artisan soon coming out with something that sounds very similar? Maybe an hommage or inspired by Habanita? Correct me please, somebody, if I'm mistaken.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 14th August 2009 at 01:26 PM.

Happy Wedding Anniversary, Lovethescents!

I am sure the hangover was worth it. Those perfumes will act as lovely pick me ups!

I just got the news from the doc today that my thyroid has flipped into overactive mode again (I am naturally underactive) and I have been told to halve the medication that speeds up my metabolism with immediate effect. This result explains how I have been able to stay up till 1.30am following posts from West Coast Americans, but not for much longer it seems. If you don't hear from me soon, I may have become too sluggish to even turn on the computer!

Anyway, I am still quite wired for the moment, and wearing the following:

Upper torso - Balenciaga Le Dix

Arm area -

Gianni Campagna Vento Canale - I think it was Hirsch Duckfinder who once described this scent as having the ambience of a library, where a gentleman is wearing twill trousers and sipping a liqueur. I am paraphrasing badly here, but he is spot on with this assessment. There is categorically no canal and no wind in this one - well, not of the sort I believe the perfumer intended, certainly.

By Kilian Cruel Intentions - I don't get this line, though I have persevered with testing and retesting it about six times. This is like a thinner Cuir Venenum from yesterday: manly, musty - not what I am feeling like on an August afternoon, or probably ever.

Histoires des Parfums 1826 - today's star. Gorgeous, sheer floral woody musk. Elegant and refined and not at all powdery in a bad way, as I half expect with this line for some reason. Probably my less than positive experience with Noir Patchouli.

Histoires des Parfums 1740 - LT gives five stars to this leather scent but it is doing a sour number on me - not quite of Cabochard proportions but it is having a jolly good go.

Creed Irisia - I put this on specially because of Rogalal's review and it takes the prize as today's out and out scrubber, sorry to report. It must be the oakmoss or the patchouli but it is unbelievable rancid - it is definitely up there with Cabochard or possibly breaking all known records for sourness amongst chypres most prone to curdle on me.

There again, the sample may just be off. It could conceivably be 41 years old, but I think my source was reliable.

L'Occitane The Vert au Jasmin - Well, if I wasn't having such a bad time on this arm I would say the L'Occitane scent was a bit simple, lightly sweet and inoffensive. But compared to what it is up against, it is easy for it to be a shining beacon of pleasantness, of which I am sorely in need.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 14th August 2009 at 01:37 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Wearing my newly aquired Caron Montaigne today...yeh, its the new version, and I love it !!I don't want to even think about what this once was *sigh*...

Happy Friday to everyone! Nothing worse than being stuck in the city when everyone else went to the beach! So I do all that I can by wearing Creed Virgin Island Water!

Basenotes Plus

I am in love.....aaaahhhhh!
    Wearing a tiny "dot" from Twolf's traveling La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty. A rose chypre to end all desires for rose chypres. This is IT!
    I'll write more about the re-issue & the original on the traveling thread.
    In the meanwhile my wrist is attached to my nose.

Rive Gauche pour Homme (YSL). Goes well with a certain allure.

Happy Anniversary, Lovethescents!

Today's my second day in Theorema.

Happy Friday everyone!

It's TDC Charmes et Feuille for me during this heatwave...the peppermint note is perfect in the heat.

I'm gettin' BEACHY with it (big thank you hug going out to Taolady!). This is darn purty on me. I'm impressed!!!

Congrats to Mrs. and Mr. lovethescents. Here's to many more happy years!
    Last edited by Haunani; 14th August 2009 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks to LeeSee ....Andy Tauer's marvelously evocative Lonestar Memories...an evening campfire of tarry logs in a grove of jasmine, head pillowed on a worn saddle. Just LUV it.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

LA Fleur d'Oranger 2007
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th August 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: tags

Basenotes Institution

Lilybelle- I love gardenia musk ! You smell good !
    This morning I am wearing Beyond Love By Kilian . It's Friday - yay !!!!!!!!!
    Have a good one !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Happy anniversary, Lovethescents!
    VM, I hope the change in dosage of the med gets you feeling better.

Schiaparelli Zut. I love this floriental with its fun, delicious touch of (sticky/dried, not watery) fruit.

top notes: bergamot, ylang ylang, cyclamen, tagetes, blackcurrant, linden
    middle notes: jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, iris, incense
    base notes: dried fruits, tonka bean, vanilla, musk, cedarwood, sandalwood

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by The Fragrant Zebra View Post
    Wearing my newly aquired Caron Montaigne today...yeh, its the new version, and I love it !!I don't want to even think about what this once was *sigh*...

I love the new version too, though I haven't smelled the old either.

I'm enjoying La Mome from Balmain again today. This one took me quite by surprise, with the almost too sweet beginning, but now I'm really enjoying it.

Hope all who are celebrating birthdays & anniversaries are having a fabulous time! And Happy Friday to everyone else

Happy Anniversary, Lovethescents!

I didn't go to work today. I went shopping with my daughters.

I was wearing Coconut milk lotion and Vanilla-vanillaby the Body Shop. Not bad at all!

I will continue with a more 'grown up' vanilla perfume, Habanita,
    inspired by SMM's post!

Have a nice Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
    I love the new version too, though I haven't smelled the old either.

I'm enjoying La Mome from Balmain again today. This one took me quite by surprise, with the almost too sweet beginning, but now I'm really enjoying it.

Hope all who are celebrating birthdays & anniversaries are having a fabulous time! And Happy Friday to everyone else
    I have been so curious about La Mome but there is so little chatter about this one. Tell me more

Chanel Beige for me on this hot sunny Friday- what more could I ask for...
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Parfum Sacre on a wonderfully gray, rainy day

Basenotes Institution

Agrumi Amari di Sicilia by Bois 1920 (the last drops from my decant)

I stand by my assessment: both Bois 1920 scents I have worn for considerable amounts of time, feature a noseful of aldehydes. I wish my nose didn't zero in on them so closely, but it does. It's annoying. I love the citrus in this one, but it just feels like it's laid atop a dog whistle screechy aldehyde and while I understand this gives it a depth and longevity that allows it to extend it's life the sacrifice is a kind of air horn citrus.

Wordbird: I want a sample of Small's scent of the day. Eau de Tweety Pie sounds fabulous.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 14th August 2009 at 03:21 PM.

A raised coffee cup from me, to say "cheers" for anyone celebrating a special day today!

Just got back from a killer fitness class, so it's a shower and some Aria di Capri by Carthusia!

Dependent

My SotE is:

Bond No 9 Saks 5th Ave for Her on me this rainy day. Big, sweet creamy tropical white flowers...love love love it!

Happy friday all and Best Anniversary wishes to Mr and Mrs "Lovethescents" have a wonderfully celebratory weekend.

SMM, loved the review, you make everything sound so enticing, thank goodness you are not doing food reviews, especially cakes and pastry...i would not be able to contain myself.

Today i put on a little bit of Chanel Eau de Cologne, thanks to a lovely BNer and it is just fabu. It is fresh, clean, soft, green, overall it just feels bright. This truly is EdC taken to the next level. Truly superb.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Felicitous Salutations to all today's celebrants!

The last drops of an Aramis Devin sample vial today. But..more on the way--Delicious!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Anniversary to Lovethescents!

Today I am in need of a confort scent, so I pull out of the sample box Chocolate Amere.
    Evenstar

SMM, I love your reviews!

Happy Anniversary, lovethescents.

mysticknot, you're making jealous with your Beyond Love. Both my samples are empty, it's been on my wishlist since the beginning - I really just need to 'bite the bullet' and buy it! (but I want the boxed bottle, even thought the travel atomizer is a beauty and more affordable).

Speaking of the wishlist... sigh... just as it was starting go down with recent purchaes, I've added another item. "Dat'sa da way go" as my Lithuanian grandmother would say. That's the way it goes, right?

This one, what I'm wearing today, second time from a sample, thanks to a lovely Basenoter:

Cuir de Lancôme

Habanita parfum again. Perfect.

thanks to everyone for all the wonderful wishes! So lovely and touching :-) Hangover's gone and am now testing a few things in a swap.....Dzing! which is still not a love no matter how hard I try---looks like it's coming your way, VM!

A new love, sorry Mr. Lovethescents, is Guerlain's Cuir Beluga. How did I let this one pass after all these years?? What a creamy and gorgeous stunner. The lasting power is fantastic.

Unfortunately have to work tonight :-( Ordered some Trini doubles (extra spicy) since it's a colleague's last shift in that H**l-hole hospital. We'll be eating well, for sure :-)

Sunnyfunny, you smell divine! Theorema is a favorite

Haunani, the Beachy bit is a Lily Pulitzer number?

Dora, your scent recipe sounds delicious! I'm curious what Habanita does layered on the former?
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Wearing Sensous today.

Did not get a chance to post yesterday but I wore Miss Dior Cherie from a sample I got last Saturday at Macy's. Upon first applying, I found it to be an explosion of sweet fruits which then settled down to a pretty floral. Can't say that I could detect individual flower notes or the chypre that it's supposed to have but, overall, an innocuous pretty fragrance with nice lasting power.

Still in the narcotic haze of the Opium summer editions, this time in Poesie de Chine. This one is markedly less Opium than Fleur de Shanghai and it is also softer. Although the core of Opium is maintained (carnation, myrrh), both of these notes are very much muted. Poesie is sweeter with mandarin, but only slightly.

Additional vanilla in this edition does not smell so much like vanilla as it does licorice root, or, to be exact, the Japanese salted plum. I'd not call this a sweet-spicy scent, because the spice is not typical and the sweetness is not something that would satisfy a gourmand's taste. And yet, Poesie is foody in the way that an Asian market with its barrels brimming with minuscule dried shrimp, gnarled lychees, and chicken feet is foody: simultaneously briny, pungent, sweet, sour, and bitter, with the smell of resinous incense slipping wispily out of a back room.

I find myself reaching for this more than I do the wonderful Fleur de Shanghai. It is Opium for people who need a fresh slate upon which Opium has not exacted an atavistic score. Poesie can stand on its own apart from Opium, where Shanghai is very clearly related to it and separated mainly by less aggression and a creamier treatment of magnolia.

Happy wedding anniversary to Lovethescents!

And VM, I do hope that you are feeling okay .... and that the meds will not wipe you out. Hugs.

Wore Soir de Lune to work today. My faithful old stalwart. She made me and others who love me happy. And now, nearly 9 hours after application, she's still smelling good. She's MY interpretation of a 'modern chypre'!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Still in the narcotic haze of the Opium summer editions, this time in Poesie de Chine. This one is markedly less Opium than Fleur de Shanghai and it is also softer. Although the core of Opium is maintained (carnation, myrrh), both of these notes are very much muted. Poesie is sweeter with mandarin, but only slightly.

Additional vanilla in this edition does not smell so much like vanilla as it does licorice root, or, to be exact, the Japanese salted plum. I'd not call this a sweet-spicy scent, because the spice is not typical and the sweetness is not something that would satisfy a gourmand's taste. And yet, Poesie is foody in the way that an Asian market with its barrels brimming with minuscule dried shrimp, gnarled lychees, and chicken feet is foody: simultaneously briny, pungent, sweet, sour, and bitter, with the smell of resinous incense slipping wispily out of a back room.

I find myself reaching for this more than I do the wonderful Fleur de Shanghai. It is Opium for people who need a fresh slate upon which Opium has not exacted an atavistic score. Poesie can stand on its own apart from Opium, where Shanghai is very clearly related to it and separated mainly by less aggression and a creamier treatment of magnolia.

I just organised a swap for a bottle of Fleur de Shanghai. Am now salivating after Poesie - I don't want to miss out on the minuscule dried shrimp, let alone the gnarled lychees (you encounter quite a few gnarled things, I note!) and chicken feet. Actually, I can probably lose the chicken feet quite happily.

Never mind, the deed is done!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Hi, folks!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, LOVETHESCENTS!!!

Also sending lots of cheer and general fun to all others who are celebrating today...

And congrats also to my ScentSon SMM on the Fragrantica gig! A highly deserved honor. Looking forward to reading more of your wonderful reviews both here on BN and elsewhere.

What a GREAT smelling bunch you all are today!

Continuing my own birthday celebrations here with another festive lunch (sushi!), and heading out to visit my Dad over the weekend...

SoTD is Hermes Vetiver Tonka, with a little dab of Miller Harris Fleurs du Bois on the back of one hand just for fun.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Hope you'll start feeling better soon, VM!

In Beyond Paradise today. I wore it ironically as I drowned myself in a mountain of documents to edit and fact-check. Also for the scent, which today smelled like real honeysuckle to me more than it ever has before (don't know why).

Our work was buzzing with this quirky film today http://www.bheroes.co.uk/
    Last edited by Nukapai; 14th August 2009 at 07:34 PM.

Basenotes Institution

VM -get better soon and Happy Anniversary to Lovethescents !!!!!!!

Back from the gym surrounded by the wafts of my comforting Fracas !

Happy Anniversary to Lovethescents

Today it is A la Nuit de SL and what a wonderful fragrance!! I just jump from a surprise to another one!!

Sur la Plage

My SOTE is Creed Virgin Island Water.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Hi all!

My SOTE yesterday was Diptyque Eau de Lierre.

I've really enjoyed its super-greenness before, but I had issues last night. I really shouldn't have sprayed it on late in the day, after walking home and sweating on a hot day. A sour spoiled lettuce note as well as a sharp petitgrain had been subtle on previous tries, adding nuance but not bothering anyone - this time, that's all I got. I was pretty sure this was going to be a full bottle purchase for me, but I'm rethinking it now. I'll have to give it another try on fresh, clean skin on a milder day before I write it off, though.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Old Spice After Shave Original tonight. Ghosts of family gatherings past float in the room with me..uncle B amd dad.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Anniversary Lovethescents!! My folks are coming right behind ya tomorrow celebrating 52 years of getting on each others last nerves and loving every minute of it lol..

I'm in my fav Lolita Lempicka with a splash of VS's Love Spell. Mmmmm I smells gooooood.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Max Mara today.

Happy anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. Lovethescents.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Diva- have a good weekend ! Sounds like fun !

This evening ,it's Jicky extrait !

Happy Anniversary, Lovethescents !

SotE is Mystery Sample A from the Summer Fun Blind Sniff hosted by whisperingleaves. This will be fun... come help us, please!

Good evening all,
    VM sweety hope you will be yourself soon, mama had thyroid problems also so i know how troublesome the are. they finally just zapped her thyroid and things have been well, thank goodness, since then.

Tonight i am wearing Orval by Molinard, sumptuous floral with a warm vanilla touch to it, heavenly.

Be well all, love and hugs
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source