Code of Conduct

Default A question for the ladies...

Ladies, what would you think if you walked past a man and you smelt Chanel No. 5/Joy Jean Patou/Fracas de Robert Piguet or if you smelt it on one of your male work colleagues?!

Default Re: A question for the ladies...

I'd think he has INCREDIBLE taste!

I would also bet that the man is secure in his masculinity.

I would think that he is secure in his masculinity AND that he likes perfume. (Check my avatar, please.)

Just as Coco Chanel said that a woman should wear perfume anywhere she wants to be kissed, so should a man! I am of the opinion that a man wears scent to please his lady. A man who does not is showing he has no interest in pleasing a woman.

It has been said that a man can seduce a woman by "using her own weapons"--i.e. grooming himself, dressing attractively and wearing scent. These things are usu. associated with women.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Re: A question for the ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by naqshbandi View Post
    Ladies, what would you think if you walked past a man and you smelt Chanel No. 5/Joy Jean Patou/Fracas de Robert Piguet or if you smelt it on one of your male work colleagues?!
    I second ALL of the above, there's nothing like a man with all of these attributes, and he smells really great TOO ! VERY SEXY !!!

thanks for the feedback; i'm very a dab of joy right now. i was worried wearing the parfum to work would be overdoing it.

I wouldn't think anything, I would follow the guy!

I smelled No. 5 for the first time today. I think it's a great choice for men. Go for it. Fracas too if I recall correctly.

Off-Scenter

thanks for the feedback; i'm very a dab of joy right now. i was worried wearing the parfum to work would be overdoing it.
    That's the spirit!

And by the way, a parfum often wears closer to the skin than an EdT or EdP (less alcohol, less volatility), making it easier to "pull off." (This is true of Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, and Mitsouko for me.)

Basenotes Institution

Well, I would very pleased to smell these on a man - I would think - 'at last... a man who follows the road less travelled ! " An individualist.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

I agree with the above but I might also wonder (if the scent wasn't strong) if he had been in contact with a woman wearing the perfume.

2nd this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    I'd think he has INCREDIBLE taste!
    And 2nd this:

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I would also bet that the man is secure in his masculinity.
    And, what Primrose said
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

More power to him!

I'd think he has not own taste and just copy something popular!
    Last edited by olla86; 31st August 2009 at 08:03 AM.
    Life is good!

Not that unique; most of us could readily identify all three at 100 paces. Also, those strong florals can be annoying on anyone, man or woman, same with heavy orientals.

If you're asking about great "feminine" frags for a man to wear, there are some fantastic choices out there - these would not be my top 3, but to each his own, as they say.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I agree with the above but I might also wonder (if the scent wasn't strong) if he had been in contact with a woman wearing the perfume.
    THAT has been my fear. Great spot.

The socially conscious female outlook would congratulate you (and herself) for accepting that which is sexually progressive, but despite this surface stance, she wouldn't dig you as a Man.

I can't help but think Frip's response was the least pleasant but most accurate! I've had plenty of guys at my job stroll past me and have me think "wow he smells great" but I'd NEVER want my wife smelling like any of those fellas. She can be as secure in her womanhood as she wants,but she would still smell great and very unsexy all at once.

However I won't pretend to know if that works in reverse for women or not. Maybe women find guys who smell like them attractive? While its impossible to group what women like into one huge group as everyone is their own person with their own taste, I would guess women mostly like a man smelling anywhere from nuetral to manly. I can't picture the words "I was instantly attracted to his good looks, charm, and the smell of his Juicy couture" being uttered by a woman. That said if you just wanna smell good and are not concerned with the rest wear whatever you like. It would certainly put you on another level from cavemen such as myself!

Hmmm. The Juicy Couture example is interesting.

A man wearing Joy or one of the other classics is a man who isn't hampered by silly marketing and labelling decisions that tell him that a scent is "supposed" to be feminine, and who has the courage to go ahead and wear a very fine fragrance, anyway.

On the other hand, a man wearing RandomGirlySicklySweetThingThatIHate (I've never smelled Juicy Couture so I don't know if it's in this category) is a man who isn't hampered by silly marketing and labelling decisions that tell him that a scent is "supposed" to be feminine, and who has the courage to go ahead and wear a lousy fragrance anyway.

I guess that bravery in the name of what I consider good taste, and bravery in the name of what I consider bad taste, might affect me differently. That's not fair, but there it is.

Crayfish

I'd say it would totally depend on the scent in question, and my relationship with male in question. An identifiable female classic like No 5 or an uber girlie modern scent like Pink Sugar would probably just confuse the heck out of the ladies around you. I know we have gentlemen here who wear Fracas and love it, but that is an example of a fragrance that smells aggressively feminine to me. (But, who knows, perhaps a man wearing it would bring out different notes.)

Then, there are the little known scents out there, sold as "feminine," but passably unisex in this day and age, where most women's popular scents are ultra sweet, and almost all the men's are sharp and acquatic. I don't think anyone would pass a man in Jicky and think "oooh, cross dresser!" or think that a man in Cuir de Russie or Feminite de Bois was just back from an assignation with a heavily perfumed paramour.....

If you are looking to meet new ladies with a potential for dating, I'd stick to masculines or unisex/feminine scents with ambiguous names. Because, when a flirting lady asks what you are wearing and you say "Ormond Jayne Woman," she might think it questionable.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*