Code of Conduct

Default Layering to cut a frag's sweetness? Odd question.

Hi all,

Well I recently purchased a few scents that I really like, but sometimes they also have the effect of making me a bit nauseous or giving me a headache. It happens with a certain type of sweet, powdery fragrance (although those may be completely inaccurate words to describe what I'm smelling) - specifically Lolita Lempicka and Amour by Kenzo. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the scents, but when I wear them I feel the urge to cut the sweet/powdery smell with something citrusy or spicy. Since I now own these frags and want to be able to wear them, does anyone have any suggestions for other frags or lotions that I could layer with them?

It's also a shame that they're both sprays as even just one spray lets out a lot of juice. Would it be better to spray a cotton ball and dab that on my skin?

Thanks again!
    Jenny

Default Re: Layering to cut a frag's sweetness? Odd question.

I have an un-named "women's" frag that seems to be amber, sandalwood, vanilla, iris/orris, possibly with some heliotrope. It's a bit flat for me (though not super-sweet), so I added some Aoud Lime and I really like the way it's not as sweet now and has more dimensionality. Hope that helps.

I had a similar problem with a green chypre fragrance that I thought was too sharp. My solution was to layer it with a jasmine floral, and the floral scent amplified the floral notes in the green scent (coincidentally, the floral had many of the same heart notes as the green chypre, but not the galbanum or oakmoss). So something similar might work with your oriental scents: find something that coordinates with the heart notes, and layer that with it.
    Last edited by Perfume_Addict; 16th August 2009 at 05:32 AM.

To cut sweetness I like to add a dry linear wood scent,such as Tam Dao f.ex.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    To cut sweetness I like to add a dry linear wood scent,such as Tam Dao f.ex.
    I was thinking the same -- or you could try a dry incense scent
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Blog Entries

I go with Bigsly on this - Aoud Lime is great for layering. I use it with Cuir de Russie, sometimes to give it a more citrus/leather base.

Amber Extreme and Ambre Sultan are great layering scents....I especially like how they increase the longevity of the overall effect.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*