Code of Conduct

Default Do I risk buying a small Chanel No 5 on eBay?

Ok, I know buying perfumes on eBay is risky and you basically get what you pay for. However, that said, I'd really like to have a small bottle of the vintage Chanel No. 5 and there are a few that look like they might just be the real thing. There's one for sale that has parchment around the neck and appears not to have been opened. It came from an estate sale, supposedly. I guess my question is, how far do people go to fake these? I know the ones that are sealed and new in box are iffy, but doesn't it get kind of tough to fake the vintage bottles? Maybe I'm just wishing for that perfect find on eBay. But honestly, I would like to smell the vintage before I buy the new stuff.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Do I risk buying a small Chanel No 5 on eBay?

I tend to look at the price on ebay. if someone is selling chanel no. 5 parfum for 10 dollars you know it is going to be a fake; whereas if the retail price is say 100 and they're selling for like 70 odd that would be okay imho; also check the seller's rating.

i ordered a v small (7.5 ml/0.25 oz) bottle of joy parfum from ebay a few days ago for about 80 euros; it hasnt arrived yet but the bottle and the seller looked reputable and so did the price. i tend to find things from europe are usually genuine. i guess it is a gamble at the end of the day...but you can minimize risk with a bit of common sense.
    Last edited by naqshbandi; 15th August 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Yes, I look at the price as well as an indicator. But when they do it as an auction with a low or no starting price, then that no longer gives you any clues. The ones I'm looking at usually are a one off thing, where they've inherited the bottle from their mother or a relative. So they might have a high seller score but they've not sold fragrances much or at all. Or it's supposedly a bottle that came from an estate sale.

At least pay for it through PayPal... if it's a fake, then you know you'll get your money back.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

A while back there was someone on Ebay buying empty vintage bottles and then selling them with a different user name filled with, you guessed it, FAKE juice. So, to answer your question, people do go very far to fake the perfumes they are selling. Anyone can make up a story about finding this rare stuff at an estate sale, or inheriting from a relative. Do a search by seller and by completed items. See if they have a history of selling these rare or vintage frags one or two at a time.

That being said, there are plenty of honest sellers on Ebay too. Using PayPal is a very good suggestion. Best of luck with your search!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Simply - yes you DO. I would avoid buying Chanel, Dior, Escada on Ebay.

Basenotes Institution

I would not buy the Chanel because I believe it is one of the most faked perfumes on Ebay .
    Also Opium EDT- beware the seller with mutliple auctions starting at .99 cents - it's fake juice.
    Even if you go through Paypal ,it can be a headache getting the money back .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't realize people went to such lengths to fake these things. But I guess it's not that hard to buy vintage bottles and fill them with fake juice. I will heed the advice of my fellow Basenoters and steer clear of the Chanels and Diors (some vintage Miss Diors just went for over $200! I hope for the buyers sake they got the real thing.)

It's too bad really, because short of going to estate sales, eBay is the best and easiest place to find vintage or discontinued frags. Besides Chanel, Dior, and Escada, are there other brands that you know are faked a lot that I should watch out for?

And I guess in that same vein, where does one go to buy say a vintage Coco or No. 5 or classic Dior?

Thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by JitterpigJen; 15th August 2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add text

Avoid also Dolce Gabanna Light Blue and Femme (red cap)

Basenotes Institution

Saying all that, I have bought some fabulous vintage juice on Ebay -you have to be savvy - check feedback ,check other items on sale on thier Ebay . If the seller is from NY , there seems to be a higher risk of faking.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th August 2009 at 08:09 PM.

I've got some vintage Chanel No. 5 EdC that I know is fine. I tested it, and it's been sitting on my grandmother's dresser since the 1960s (not in direct light). She gave it to me when she learned about my fragrance interests. If anyone is interested in swaps, let me know. I'd say there is at least half an ounce remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by JitterpigJen View Post
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't realize people went to such lengths to fake these things. But I guess it's not that hard to buy vintage bottles and fill them with fake juice. I will heed the advice of my fellow Basenoters and steer clear of the Chanels and Diors (some vintage Miss Diors just went for over $200! I hope for the buyers sake they got the real thing.)

It's too bad really, because short of going to estate sales, eBay is the best and easiest place to find vintage or discontinued frags. Besides Chanel, Dior, and Escada, are there other brands that you know are faked a lot that I should watch out for?

And I guess in that same vein, where does one go to buy say a vintage Coco or No. 5 or classic Dior?

Thanks for your advice!
    Look for old, generic perfume shops. If you are in the Bay area, I'm guessing there are some around. (There are certainly a lot in L.A.) Of course, sealed bottles and boxes are preferable. Also, estate sales, as you mentioned. I can't stand them, but once in a while I venture forth and have had some interesting finds.

I'm not a fan of ebay, unless you know the seller or have someone who can vouch for them. You could also purchase a small sample or decant from the trusty, but overpriced Perfumed Court just to educate your nose for when you do find something.

People sell or swap vintage fragrance here on Basenotes sometimes, too. HTH.

I used to stick with sellers I had used in the past, until I bought a fake that the seller, who dealt in bulk, wasn't aware of. I have been unable to sell Chanel or Creed on there, and I now even worry about the small seller who might have unknowingly and some time earlier purchased a fake.

The large number of Lutenses on there now, with their identical commercial pictures, sets off warning bells.

However, a friend of mine did purchase some No. 5 parfum and was quite happy with it--luck of the draw. Pay no more than you can afford to lose.

With Chanel, you almost never get a "deal". However, I have bought Chanel cosmetics on eBay--they were authentic, lower than retail price, but still not cheap.

Basenotes Institution

Do you think the Lutens are fake ?

I think buying vintage perfume on Ebay is OK if the bottle is sealed ,there is some evaporation ot the perfume. I am always suspicious of supposedly vintage bottles that are filled to the brim .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th August 2009 at 05:57 PM.

I have noticed the Lutens, it's very worrying. I can hardly believe they are all legit. Too many and too cheap. Guys.........it's not going to end good.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I have noticed the Lutens, it's very worrying. I can hardly believe they are all legit. Too many and too cheap. Guys.........it's not going to end good.
    Too good to be true ! I have seen a couple of Tubereuse Criminelles for sale in their bell jars which I think are legit but too expensive unless you're desperate for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Do you think the Lutens are fake ?
    For one particular seller in Ontario, no I actually don't think they're fake. The inventory is too large and varied. Also, they are selling Lutens at about 30-35% off the cost of the brick and mortar stores, who are paying premium rent and expenses to maintain their very premium locations. I don't know what the wholesale cost of SL is, but if this seller is avoiding b&m overhead costs, I think they can afford to sell at this price on ebay and still make some profit.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 16th August 2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I just can't believe this one is up for sale...AGAIN. I think I've seen the exact same bottle and box go up for auction 5 times now from different sellers, all of whom sell lots of vintage scents....makes me wonder if the juice is any good or what?! It's not going for any more in subsequent auctions, after all....why keep trading around...paying $200 for a bottle of perfume and then selling it again for the same amount, over and over and over?

Vintage Cuir de Russie in box
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*