Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AromiErotici

Default Is there a better citrus chypre than Eau De Patou?

I have been revisiting with Eau De Patou. It's been since last year sometime and I had forgotten how good and smooth this juice really is.

I have the masculine version, but also samples of the feminine to compare. They are both excellent and to me, neither lean one way or the other gender-wise.

What other top shelf citrus chypres could you folks recommend? Is there one better than Patou?

Default Re: Is there a better citrus chypre than Eau De Patou?

Hm. Balenciaga Quadrille is a deep chypre with lemon topnotes. Incredible skin scent. Yohji Feminine tingles with lime- I find this one quite interesting. Rochas Femme with both lemon and lime is amazing, although challenging for me. A real heavy hitter but loved by many. And Ma Griffe is zingy and citrusy for sure.

Is Eau de Patou really a chypre? I would have thought it was more of a citrus/floral ....and in that vein I adore Creed Aubepine Acacia which is surely unisex, although I think it is marketed as a feminine.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I have been wearing the sh!t out of Asprey Purple Water this summer. Starts out with a soul elevating citrus blast and cools down to a wonderful indolic floral. Makes me smile whenever I put it on
    At your service

Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    I have been wearing the sh!t out of Asprey Purple Water this summer. Starts out with a soul elevating citrus blast and cools down to a wonderful indolic floral. Makes me smile whenever I put it on
    This one is gorgeous. Went through a big bottle when it was launched. So many perfumes, I forget about some. Would be perfect in the heat.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Hm. Balenciaga Quadrille is a deep chypre with lemon topnotes. Incredible skin scent. Yohji Feminine tingles with lime- I find this one quite interesting. Rochas Femme with both lemon and lime is amazing, although challenging for me. A real heavy hitter but loved by many. And Ma Griffe is zingy and citrusy for sure.

Is Eau de Patou really a chypre? I would have thought it was more of a citrus/floral ....and in that vein I adore Creed Aubepine Acacia which is surely unisex, although I think it is marketed as a feminine.
    It's classified as a chypre, but I get what you mean. It smells more floral to me as well. The accords don't unfold on my skin the same way I see them listed.

The Balenciaga sounds interesting.

Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    -

The ones mentioned that I know are very good: Quadrille, Eau de Rochas, Chanel PM, but I don't think they are as smooth as Eau de Patou, but then again, I love that stuff.
    Evenstar

I don't mean to derail the thread but since we are talking about Eau de Patou can someone elaborate what is the difference between the Eau de patou for men and Eau de patou for women...I recently procured a bottle of the men's version *ofcourse from Henry* and am thinking of buying the woman's version if it is comparable to the men's version since Eau de Patou for men is sold out.. Thanks

I've never smelled Eau De Patou, but as citrus chypres go, I think Philtre D'Amour from Guerlain is really really great! Warm, sparkling, luxurious citrus starting off, like a kind of magical soap blend...it develops into a deep herbal patchouli drydown that is so well done...I just love it and I would definitely get a bottle if I could spring for it. It's my second favorite scent from Guerlain, close behind Heritage.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Diorella esp. the parfum. Don't want to say it's better than Eau De Patou but.. it's damn good.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    +1.

I wouldn't say better because I've never tried the Patou but I have to second Chanel pour Monsieur and add L'Eau Neuve by Lubin as worthwhile products in that category
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I have been revisiting with Eau De Patou. It's been since last year sometime and I had forgotten how good and smooth this juice really is.

I have the masculine version, but also samples of the feminine to compare. They are both excellent and to me, neither lean one way or the other gender-wise.

What other top shelf citrus chypres could you folks recommend? Is there one better than Patou?
    It's a damn good fragrance. Hard to beat it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like Patou 1000 --- a lush floral chypre designated "feminine" but easily worn by the fellas.

I have both the femenine and masculine versions of Eau de Patou and I can hardly tell them apart. The female version has more flowers, I think Ylang-Ylang.
    The notes for the masculine version on the box are: honeysuckle, nasturtium, ylang-ylang, petitgrain, lemon and oranges.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Yes.

Chanel pour monsieur.
    +2. Also, Eau Sauvage (not a chypre) and Monsieur de Givenchy (a near-chypre — no patchouli) are very nice. Ever tried Guerlain Eau du Coq and Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat? The first one is a true chypre; the second, a woody citrus, but fairly deep.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Last edited by Gerald; 16th August 2009 at 08:57 AM.

How about Tom Ford Italian Cypress (no incense though) or Halston Z-14? Both a aromatic woody citrusses, but nudge in the direction of chypres.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Plus

I quite like Coriolan as a citrus chypre.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I don't know if Iskander would be considered a chypre, but it is the perfume I find comparable with Eau de Patou, although not as good.
    Evenstar

"L" de Lubin might be an interesting choice to check out in this genre. I recently acquired the "new" version of this scent by the re-established house of Lubin and was pleasantly surprised. It's a bit darker and dryer than the Eau de Patou, but I can see someone who likes one going for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    I've never smelled Eau De Patou, but as citrus chypres go, I think Philtre D'Amour from Guerlain is really really great! Warm, sparkling, luxurious citrus starting off, like a kind of magical soap blend...it develops into a deep herbal patchouli drydown that is so well done...I just love it and I would definitely get a bottle if I could spring for it. It's my second favorite scent from Guerlain, close behind Heritage.
    Magical soap blend? Oh my, Philtre d'Amour sounds delightful from beginning to end. Must try.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Magical soap blend? Oh my, Philtre d'Amour sounds delightful from beginning to end. Must try.
    Will send you some. :wave:

Goutal's Eau du Sud is great chypre if you like lemon.

Masculine Eau de Patou?
    Could you make a picture of the bottle, please?
    I need to try it, at least. As I like Patou creations.

As for citrus chypres - Tactics by Shiseido fits the bill perfectly.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Masculine Eau de Patou?
    Could you make a picture of the bottle, please?
    I need to try it, at least. As I like Patou creations.

As for citrus chypres - Tactics by Shiseido fits the bill perfectly.
    Here is the picture of Eau de Patou for men

I've got a 150ml or so bottle like the one Gupts shows in the picture. It's not marked for me or pour homme or hombre or herren or nothin' like any of those. There might be a bottle shape that was once made to suggest appeal to the women's market, as Annick Goutal does with Eau d'Hadrien, but I strongly suspect that it's the same juice as I've got. I'm ready to be wrong here, as other members probably know better than I do, but I strongly suspect that EdP was mostly made for the damsel side of things and became unisex to some degree. For evidence I point to the lack of terms suggesting "pour homme" on the bottle/box that Gupts shows, which is the case for the bottle and box that I have.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Rochas Moustache might be another candidate for superior citrus chypre, but I think Eau de Patou beats it pretty easily.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Rochas?
    Eau de Rochas (femin and masc colognes) with oakmoss, patchouly and sandalwood in sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Here is the picture of Eau de Patou for men

Thank you, gupts!
    I`ve never seen this kind of bottle on e-bay (I would not mention that there was no Patou this side of Iron Curtain). It definitely looks more simple than usual bottle I`ve met.
    Simple = masculine, I suppose, that`s the reason the bottle gets masculine definition.

I failed to find any masculine words (men, uomo, homme, herren) also as DustB pointed out.
    Vetiver The Great!!!