Code of Conduct

Thread: Bourbon French

Default Bourbon French

Hello, I was looking at the Bourbon French Parfums website (based in New Orleans) today. What do you think of their men's fragrances?
    How does the Eau de Cologne compare to others like 4711, Jean Marie Farina, etc?
    I was also looking at their single note fragrances "Sandlewood" and "Vetivert". Thank you.
    Last edited by Lancette; 15th August 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Default Re: Bourbon French

I know the site offers a men's sampler, which you might consider. That way you can sample all their offerings.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had never heard of this line before. The claims to be a Victorian-era perfumery perhaps should be taken with a grain of salt. The prices of the men's scents are quite inexpensive. There are a couple of reviews of women's scents here on BN, with positive comments. These might fall into the "charming souvenir of a trip" category. Thanks for posting this information.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 15th August 2009 at 06:20 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I had never heard of this line before. The claims to be a Victorian-era perfumery perhaps should be taken with a grain of salt. The prices of the men's scents are quite inexpensive. There are a couple of reviews of women's scents here on BN, with positive comments. These might fall into the "charming souvenir of a trip" category. Thanks for posting this information.
    I believe Anne Rice commissioned them to make a fragrance for her that is called "Dark Gift", which they can blend if the customer wants it.
    Last edited by Lancette; 15th August 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancette View Post
    I believe Anne Rice commissioned them to make a fragrance for her that is called "Dark Gift", which they can blend if the customer wants it.
    That is an interesting celebrity endorsement, and a nice literary connection to be made.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

The ordinary men's sampler doesn't have all of the selections--the entire lineup is pretty extensive, and there are several crossovers, like the Vetivert. I love Guerlain vetiver, but this one was to earthy for me--not really unpleasant, but it didn't create the sensation of fragrance. ! I ended up just buying four of the travel size--one ounce--of the ones that appealed the most to me: 525--a bit like no. 88, but sweeter and recalling the famous Nag Champa incense (older version?). The 'Eau de Cologne' is very pleasant, but I haven't tested it for longevity. I also bought the 'Sandlewood' which impressed me in the shop--I haven't given it a proper test yet. My last purchase was 'WJL' which starts off very civetty--I think it could be a relative of Kouros! By the way, these four travel sprays were only $8.50 apiece!