Code of Conduct

Default Info needed - Montale fragrances

I've read reviews, but more descriptions would be appreciated.

I have a sample labelled 'Royal Aoud' and it smells flowery/ powdery to me. Any opinions on this one? Info on notes?

Aoud Flowers: Is it strong? Are there obvious floral or pepper notes?

Cuir D'Arabie: Can this be compared to a more mainstream leather scent? Or even a niche one.

Thanks.

Default Re: Info needed - Montale fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by lodz View Post
    I've read reviews, but more descriptions would be appreciated.

I have a sample labelled 'Royal Aoud' and it smells flowery/ powdery to me. Any opinions on this one? Info on notes?

Aoud Flowers: Is it strong? Are there obvious floral or pepper notes?

Cuir D'Arabie: Can this be compared to a more mainstream leather scent? Or even a niche one.

Thanks.
    I found Royal Aoud to be the standard Montale-Aoud + fruit in the topnotes. I found Aoud Flowers to be a slight variant of Black Aoud (to my nose anyway)...strong: yes.

Cuir d'Arabie is great. It has a strong, bitter opening that can be a bit jarring, but the leather+aoud combo seems to work beautifully together after that. Can't say I can compare it to any other leathers, it's more aoud than leather to me. Pretty much exactly what you'd think it would smell like.

After testing many of the Montale's (the aoud-based Montales I should say), I have to say that most of them smell like slight variations on each other (which I'm sure everyone else would agree with). A few of them stand out a bit, but otherwise I'd never need more than one or two of them. If you want something really strong, Black Aoud or Aoud Lime are the way to go. Softer interpretations might be Original Aouds, which is my fav.

Of these I've tried Royal Aoud. It's briefly fruity (refreshing and interesting) on top and the rest is pretty leathery.
    I own full bottles of Black Aoud and Aoud Lime. I've tried numerous other titles but didn't find them full bottle worthy or masculine enough--for me--to be able to pull off. However, I have to say White Aoud (too feminine for me) and Golden Aoud are also great. Aoud Roses Petals is outstanding and utterly feminine--just breathtaking.

To me, Royal Aoud is fruity, not really floral.

Royal Auod to me smell almost like Nicole Miller for Men. Kinda boozy.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    To me, Royal Aoud is fruity, not really floral.
    Agree

Off-Scenter

I haven't tried Aoud Flowers, and I don't have much to add the the extensive reviews I've already written on Royal Aoud and Oud Cuir d'Arabie. The "flowery" element you're smelling in Royal Aoud is probably the rose, which dominates many of the Montale oudh scents. (Though not Oud Cuir d'Arabie.) I can't think of many "mainstream" scents that compare closely to Oud Cuir d'Arabie - perhaps Bandit eau de parfum in the uncompromising boldness of its smoky, animalic leather note, but the two do not otherwise smell much alike. (Oudh, leather, smoke, and tobacco vs. leather, bitter green accord, and floral notes.) Cumming has some of Oud Cuir d'Arabie's smoke and animalic leather, but it's a good deal more subtle, and Cumming isn't exactly the kind of "mainstream" fragrance you're going to get your hands on easily anyway.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 18th August 2009 at 01:03 AM.

If you haven't read it, purplebird's thread is a must read for Montale reviews and comments: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=193406.

Thank you all. Reviews & links were of great help.
    Le Mentaliste Magnifique