Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Tubereuse Couture - wow!

This one sure is a sleeper. Here on Basenotes we have a whole bunch of tuberose fans and whole bunch of Parfumerie Generale fans, yet Tubereuse Couture is rarely mentioned. That needs changing!

The top notes are delightful as they are unexpected, ginger rather than tuberose being the first thing I smell - I'm reminded of ginger beer. Quickly, the floral side emerges, ylang-ylang and a greenish jasmine, together with the defining "it" note that really sets this apart from other fragrances: sugar cane juice.

If I'd tried this fragrance last month, the sugar cane juice note would be one I couldn't identify. In Miami I had some for the first time, and found it quite delicious, in an odd way. It's not at all like rum or sugar syrup. It's probably closest in smell and taste to molasses, but far lighter, cleaner, and fresher and without any of the burnt heaviness I associate with the latter. Tubereuse Couture captures it remarkably well, and so true to life I can practically taste it.

To my nose, the heart of the fragrance is an exquisite balance between the sugar cane note and the florals, the persistent ylang-ylang and jasmine being joined by a creamy, Fracas-esque tuberose in the heart. This is certainly not a big tuberose, nor is the fragrance particularly dominated by the tuberose note, but it's the star as well as a team player.

In the base, a coconuty benzoin note joins the softly fading florals, perhaps an infinitissimal drop of musk showing up, too.

This fragrance is a nice balance of contrasts, managing to be sweet but never cloying, strange but never discordant, and complex without any heaviness. It's very much in the style of PG, too, though I have not been able to identify the certain something that makes his fragrances so identifiable.

The sillage and longevity are not as big as some other tuberose fragrances - Fracas, I'm looking at you - but it is quite expansive in it's own transparent way. I'm almost reminded of Chanel's Beige, which manages to be so calm and sheer yet complex just under the surface.

A new found-favorite of mine has arrived!
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 17th August 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: Tubereuse Couture - wow!

I've been praising this scent for sooo long and FINALLY someone has recognized its "wOw-ness"! I too have been dumbfounded on why it hasn't recieved much recognition as a great tuberose scent. In a world filled with tuberose frags, this one certainly stands out. I find the topnotes have a slight wintergreen note (not as severe or beautiful as Tubereuse Criminelle) that is similiar to Carnal Flower (but not as indolic), and sweet due to the sugarcane (not as sweet as Fracas). I also find Tuberuese Couture unique because it's not that creamy (which is common in tuberose frags), and is quite trasnparent unlike other heavier frags (ehm...L'artisan's Tubereuse). I'm so happy for you Galamb!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh God... I feel a lemming coming on !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds delicious.

The name sounds ridiculous, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I considered buying a bottle of Tubereuse Couture last year but it was far down on my list. It's been months since I wore it last but my initial impression is still the same. It opens with a tarry accord that I find intriguing and surreal as opposed to offensive. The oily, tarry note fades to obscurity after about an hour and ylang-ylang and tuberose become more evident. The tuberose is creamy but not as buttery as others I have smelled. Later, a sugar cane note provides a natural sweetness that blends beautifully with the creamy tuberose. A brilliant balancing act and choice of notes. Tubereuse Couture ranks alongside Querelle and Aomassai as my favorite offerings from Parfumerie Generale. Notes: kalamanzi oil, green jasmin shoots, ylang-ylang, sugar cane, Indian tuberose, Sumatra benzoin and papyrus.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I'm lemmed too. This sounds too wonderful.

Tubereuse Couture is just delicious!
    In fact one of my favorites!
    Every time I wear it, hubby declares
    I smell like wild strawberries! hehe
    It never fails
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

This one sounds like it's perfect for me, your description has me drooling G_B! (my checkbook is cursing you )
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 18th August 2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh So Do I!
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

I've had Tubereuse Couture in my wardrobe for a while now and it is one of my favourites. It's sophisticated and elegant in an understated way like Tubereuse Criminelle, quite different from the overt headiness of many tuberose fragrances.

I rather like the name.

Tubereuse Couture Torture!

Post Thanks / Like

Another lemmed one here. Will add this to my sample order next time. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Tubereuse Couture Torture!
    LOL oh dear! Why torture?

Hey Galamb_B,

Nice to see this one get a shout-out. I own and wear and adore Tubereuse Couture - it was the first Parfumerie Generale scent I purchased.

The combination of fresh-cut sugarcane and green jasmine shoots is, imo, what sets off the tuberose so perfectly and uniquely here. This fragrance is one of those that reacts very well in damp weather - I tested it first on a cool and foggy day and it snared me in its trap right off.

In comparison to a drop-dead sexy tuberose like Fracas, it does have an aura of more restrained elegance - hence, maybe the "Couture". But what I love is the impression of sap and juice and dewy greenery - without a single cliche "tropical" reference.
    Last edited by Jardanel; 18th August 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckyscent added this as a sample to my order- WOW - Galamb is right. It's fantastic- not wholly a tuberose scent but incredibly gorgeous. Juicy ,restrained sweetness ,elegant and as Jardanel said - not a cliche tropical .Just understated ,well crafted beauty. The opening is wonderful .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th August 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses - nice to see there are a few more fans out here, and that my review got some folks interested.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Tubereuse Couture ranks alongside Querelle and Aomassai as my favorite offerings from Parfumerie Generale.
    I haven't tried Aomassi, but your mention of Querelle triggered something in my olfactory memory - they both share a curious satiny note I can't identify. I wonder what it is. They're certainly nothing alike otherwise.

Luckyscent added this as a sample to my order- WOW - Galamb is right. It's fantastic- not wholly a tuberose scent but incredibly gorgeous. Juicy ,restrained sweetness ,elegant and as Jardanel said - not a cliche tropical .Just understated ,well crafted beauty. The opening is wonderful.
    Glad to see another discovering this one! After seeing this thread pop up again, I decided to wear this again today. Seemed like the right choice for a day where I'll be trying out a bunch of Cuban recipes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying Tubereuse Couture right now (thank you for the sample Mysticknot!), and it's interesting. I don't get ginger on top so much as a quick impression of some kind of mint or wintergreen (but maybe it's ginger, or maybe it's just really good tuberose - I'm not good at precise identifications). The sugar cane syrup makes it edible and sweet. The drydown is like a tropical cocktail. Interesting gourmand. I never imagined tuberose in this way, but I like it! I can definitely see it working with your Cuban recipes, Galamb_Borong.

Just wanted to top up this thread with a good recent experience. This weekend brought the first autumn rain, brushing us with the wispy tail end of a hurricane far to the south. Bit of drama in the sky with crashing thunder and lightning, sultry for a brief time and then rapid cooling as the cold front moved through. There was something about the way the air was charged that urged me to pick up the bottle of Tubereuse Couture (I know you know that urge) and spray a good dose. Wow - was it ever the right move for the right weather. I picked up on every nuance of this fragrance as never before - especially the supporting players to the tuberose. Nose to wrist, I looked out the window at the leaves glistening with moisture and I was really in the moment. All was right with my world, amen.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your insights, Jardanel. The right fragrance can really amp the atmosphere or ambience of a special time /moment.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wore this today: Love it!! I cannot add anything that hasn't already been mentioned except to say that I usually detest ylang ylang notes and yet the ylang ylang in this blends exquisitely with the florals and sugar cane (I used to eat this a lot when I was a kid...it grows everywhere here, in fact I have some growing on the side of my house). It's transparent yet persistent tropical aura captivated me. I need to get more of this.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I ate sugar cane when I was a kid, too, Mike. You just chew it to get all of the juice out of it. It's too fibrous to actually swallow it. And there is a Vietnamese dish that uses it: shrimp paste wrapped around skewers of sugar cane and grilled - it's delicious. I don't know what it's called. I've kinda gone off Tuberose lately, however, as a note. I don't know why. Hormones, I suppose. It depends on how it's handled. I remember really liking Tubereuse Couture.