Code of Conduct

Default Why buy creed ... when you can get... cheaper

The timing on this may not be the best, but last week I read a thread that made me think? I read so many times why buy OS its a joop rip off, GIT same as cool water and so on! Like joop is the first to put vanilla and cinnamon together. I wonder if this should be taken farther, the dollar store sells a version of cool water for a buck. Why make home made sauce when spaghetti O's are a buck. I guess all luxury cars are a big no no. I have nothing against joop, cool water, spaghetti o's or any cars.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why buy creed ... when you can get... cheaper

Oh boy....here we go again.

lol

Post Thanks / Like

I think this type of topic has been discussed ad nauseum. If you do some searching, I think you'll find more than plenty opinions and thoughts.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I could have bought Mugler Cologne over Original Vetiver but I purchased a used bottle in the marketplace for cheap. To me, the extra $30-40 was well worth it, even though it's just a slightly better version.

Sorry, I didnt search. Just had some free time and made the post.

Someone recently let me try a dollar store frag, and it wasn't terrible, but it didn't last long at all. So, I'd rather pay a little more for a frag with quality control and longevity. That said, I have yet to find a Creed frag that I'd pay a lot of money for. The vegetal ginger in the top notes of the new Tabaorme might be worth it to me, but it doesn't last long enough. If you can find me a cheap frag that reproduces that kind of scent and that lasts for at least 4-5 hours, you've got a sale! And I'll even pay a bit more than a dollar for a 50 ml bottle. LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th August 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's like comparing Shasta to real Coca Cola. You can tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

None of the fragrances that are claimed to be cheap Creed clones, are.

All the alleged Creed clones should be evaluated on their own, and not as a cheap Creed substitute.

CW for example has some similarities for the first 20-30 minutes, but the dry down is nothing like GIT. Again, whether YOU think the difference in the dry downs are worth the extra $$, is up to you.

I happen to feel there's no comparison. I'd pay retail (lucky I don't have to) for GIT any day, than get CW.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 17th August 2009 at 10:51 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Post Thanks / Like

I probably have the most unsophisticated nose around and I can tell Creed uses more natural better smelling ingredients than their "clones." I'm pretty sure this results in less longevity and easier to spoil, however. I do love the sticky sweet drydown of most Creeds I've tried (must be the ambergris).

Basically, if you really love colognes and have the spare cash, definetely opt for what you think smells the best, not best value. Sadly I can;t do this ATM.

Post Thanks / Like

why buy armani (or any designer) ... when you can get ... cheaper (Axe or anything similar)
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The timing on this may not be the best, but last week I read a thread that made me think? I read so many times why buy OS its a joop rip off, GIT same as cool water and so on! Like joop is the first to put vanilla and cinnamon together. I wonder if this should be taken farther, the dollar store sells a version of cool water for a buck. Why make home made sauce when spaghetti O's are a buck. I guess all luxury cars are a big no no. I have nothing against joop, cool water, spaghetti o's or any cars.
    Unfortunately Jack, this just demonstrates that you have a very inexperienced nose - and I'm not trying to put you or your nose down by saying this - because I went through exactly the same phase, and had exactly the same questions as you.

Once your nose gets more experienced you'll wonder how you ever wrote the above ( just like I wonder how I ever wrote that GIT smelled too much like Cool Water, when now I think they're nothing alike).

One may be tempted to think - well, most everyone's nose is inexperienced, so what does it matter if I use cheaper a clone or smell-alike instead of the real thing? The error in that train of thought is that women generally have a much better sense of smell than men - they'll smell "cheap" instantly.
    Regards,
    Renato

I kinda think he was being sarcastic. Spaghetti O's, really?

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So 3 question to the OP:

What do you prefer: home made sauce or spaghetti Os?

GIT or Cool Water?

OS or Joop?

I like GIT,OS,VIW, and spaghetti Os.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like GIT,OS,VIW, and spaghetti O’s.
    Good answer.

Homemade sauce is good too. Assuming someone else is making it!
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 18th August 2009 at 01:17 AM.

just so that someone else isnt my wife

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch.
    Spray it, dont say it
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

To my nose, the only Creed scent which didn't surpass it's similar designer scent is Paco XS>Himalaya. Every other Creed surpasses it's counterpart, OV & GIT by the widest margins.

Okay, now I have an idea about what you're looking for, and I suggest Tristano. Here are the notes:

Neroli, Lavender
    Cedar, Sandalwood, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Heliotrope
    Ambergris, Oakmoss, Vanilla.

If you do some "legwork" you can probably find a very good deal (relative to the price of BdP).

EDIT: Posted this to the wrong thread! LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th August 2009 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    To my nose, the only Creed scent which didn't surpass it's similar designer scent is Paco XS>Himalaya.
    In this particular case, Himalaya is the one similar to XS as according to the directory, XS came out in 1993, much earlier than Himalaya (2002).

Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason for the increased prices, it's not just marketing. You remind me of the kind of guy that would say, "Why buy Band of Outsiders when I can just get tailored J. Crew?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Greed er Creed thread again
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it is very different with the Creed feminine scents, because they are pretty unique and smell not like any others. Well at least i think so and i am not a big spender at all, well at least not anymore.
    I always make a homemade sauce, but i just use San Marzano tomatoes, fresh basil and some salt & pepper; quick, easy, simple. But there is much to be said for a can of Trader Joe's Pasta O's, a simple pleasure
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Why read this thread when you can read the countless other ones, posted by inexperience Creed users, that have asked this question already?
    Last edited by Maz24; 18th August 2009 at 05:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently you haven't tasted my homemade spaghetti sauce!!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Why read this thread when you can read the countless other ones, posted by inexperience Creed users, that have asked this question already?
    Ah, but did the other threads mention Spaghetti O's ?
    We don't have them in Australia. Maybe that's a 'good thing'

Seriously though, I never get upset when someone digs up a tired old topic in a new thread. If we all had to check and cross-check that something we want to mention hasn't been dealt with already, this would be a pretty boring old place to visit. Usually each resurrection of an old topic takes a slightly different slant eventually, and keeps everything alive and vibrant.

But that's just me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post

Seriously though, I never get upset when someone digs up a tired old topic in a new thread. If we all had to check and cross-check that something we want to mention hasn't been dealt with already, this would be a pretty boring old place to visit. Usually each resurrection of an old topic takes a slightly different slant eventually, and keeps everything alive and vibrant.

But that's just me
    Well done trufflehunter for your easy going attitude. It made me assess my initial response to the OP and it was found wanting, so here's my second go:

Perfumes are luxury items for which the price value equation is totally subjective. Further, one must consider disposable income with regards to the product in question. A uni student working part time will judge the price of Creed differently to a successful professional.

At the end of the day people buy Creed for the same reasons they'll buy a BMW, a Tag Heuer, or any other niche perfume. They like it, and they can afford it.
    Last edited by jathanas; 18th August 2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    That's a good point! Now if only they can make a Spaghetti O's fragrance.......
    Last edited by Maz24; 18th August 2009 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of the Coke thing:
    There is Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and every local supermarket has it's own concoction of their coke interpretation.
    Light variations or lemon coke and so on and so on. Some are better, some can't be drunk, they taste diluted, less sweet and even horrible.
    Some think Pepsi and Coca Cola are the best and their formulas are ohhh sooo secret and that guarantees that every Coke or Pepsi tastes exactly the same on the whole planet.
    Well, that is just not true! Even here in one and the same supermarket there are differences which can be told by a mile. Just take a Coca Cola can and it most certainly tastes different in terms of sugar or concentration from a glass bottle of Coca Cola. Happens all the time! Then there is Coke Zero, which probably tastes slightly different because of marketing strategies. That being said, the best Coke I ever drunk was a Coca Cola glass bottle on the Maldives in the year 2000. Isn't that crazy?? One should contact Coca Cola and ask for another "best" bottle. Probably they will tell that every bottle tastes exactly the same on the whole planet. LOL.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 18th August 2009 at 07:00 AM.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    A uni student working part time will judge the price of Creed differently to a successful professional.
    On another note mate, imagine the troubles a uni student will get into if he starts judging Creeds like a successful professional .

Basenotes does make you do that

Post Thanks / Like

Why buy oriental... when you can get... chypre?

*rimshot*

I'll be here all night folks!

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, I just buy Creed because I want to, I can get it significantly cheaper than retail, and I think they are well worth the dollars this way.
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th August 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    This reminds me of the Coke thing:
    There is Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and every local supermarket has it's own concoction of their coke interpretation.
    Dr Pepper was a miserable failure in Australia - I loved it, but apart from me, I only ever met two other people who liked it. So I haven't been able to get it in years.

I was in Prague two years ago, and I found that the grocery store across the road sold Dr.Pepper. I bought a big bottle and was in heaven. In fact, that was my favourite memory of Prague.

I think of Dr. Pepper as the Creed of soft drinks.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th August 2009 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sno Drop is so much better than Coke hahaha. (Nah, a bit better hahaha, i love Sno drop)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I already said sorry for posting an old subject. Hope I didn't take anyone away from there cancer research for nothing.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

I already said sorry for posting an old subject. Hope I didn't take anyone away from there cancer research for nothing.
    Nah, don't worry about it, just enjoy the humor, if people really didn't care for the topic, they won't post

Thanks, I was just in the mood for a little fun. Some people got it some didn't. I can't recieve PM's from my I phone. I enjoy this site and love the reviews, true experts here!

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I was just in the mood for a little fun. Some people got it some didn't. I can't recieve PM's from my I phone. I enjoy this site and love the reviews, true experts here!
    No worries, I just PMed to say that the sarcasm here isn't meant to be directed at you, it is just a common happening with Creed threads in general

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    why buy armani (or any designer) ... when you can get ... cheaper (Axe or anything similar)
    I actually had a former friend tell me this. I couldn't come up with a constructive answer without calling him an imbecile.

Soon as the first few comments and the moderator comment. I wished I could have taken the post back. Kinda the same feeling as oops hit reply all.