Code of Conduct

Default Ugliest perfume bottle in your collection?

Do you have any "shockers" in your bottle collection.
    Mine has to be CINNABAR - boring and uninspired.

Default Re: Ugliest perfume bottle in your collection?

Chamade. I have the refill bottle and it is best kept in the back of the drawer. Seriously boring.

LouLou - for the cheap plastic look,

Eden - for the out of shape and misproportioned botle

Azzaro Now Woman/Man - gigantic glass sanitary towel...

None of these in my collection. I haven't been using LouLou or Eden since late secondary school and Azzaro never made it to the collection - I just find the bottle hideous.
    Last edited by Darwinia; 18th August 2009 at 12:06 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

Hm. Really ugly might actually influence how I felt about the perfume. Bottles are pretty important to me.

I like Luca Turin's description of my beloved Ivoire de Balmain as "pleasantly dowdy"

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

This one's pretty ugly, imo. I love the remark Tania Sanchez made about the bit under the cap looking like a Confederate flag on the back of a redneck's truck. I do love this bottle, though, probably because it is so tacky.

Now here's one that isn't really ugly, some people might think it's beautiful as DK's husband designed it and he's an accomplished sculptor. But it really bugs me. I just hate this bottle...

(And I really hate that the cap won't stay on!) This bottle just turns me off. It took me years to try this fragrance because the bottle repelled me. It looks like a Mary Kay bottle to me.

p.s. There go my good intentions of saying nothing if I can't be positive. Apologies to DK's husband!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 18th August 2009 at 01:34 PM.

I dislike black opaque bottles, as well as bottles that lie on their sides. Black Cashmere is both.
    I also dislike the Idole bottle, love the juice, but oh, the bottle.

Dependent

This is the ugliest bottle in my collection:

I only have the smaller bottle...I just couldn't bear the thought of looking at this everyday.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I hide the Lily canister. I like its function, but not its form.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

^ I really like those bottles! Wasn't as crazy about the labels always peeling off though...which I guess they improved when the came out with the Red Series.

Moschino Cheap and Chic I Love Love:

Gucci Rush:

Uninspired: Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Piment et Chocolat
    (the packaging was nice; which made the bottle even more disappointing)

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Moschino Cheap and Chic I Love Love:

Gucci Rush:
    I couldn't agree more!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Dependent

^ Gucci Rush looks like a cassette case

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    ^ I really like those bottles! Wasn't as crazy about the labels always peeling off though...which I guess they improved when the came out with the Red Series.
    I get what you're saying, sofresh. I'd love 'em for any other purpose, but my one girly-girl moment occurs in my powder room, and I need props to support that g-g illusion.
    Last edited by Quarry; 18th August 2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: replaced "your" with "you're"
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I get what your saying, sofresh. I'd love 'em for any other purpose, but my one girly-girl moment occurs in my powder room, and I need props to support that g-g illusion.
    Oh so true!

I *hate* that Gucci Rush bottle...one of the worst ever.

YSL's Nu bottle is truly ugly, looks a bit like an automotive replacement part. It deserved better and I blame the bottle for its poor commercial showing.

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Rush - a horrible bottle- I have often thought that when browsing Sephora. Not fond of the Donna Karan Cashmere Mist either. I don't like Silver Rain's bottle- it looks dangerous !
    Lancome's Magie Noire- the new square bottle is horrid too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Agree on YSL Nu - speaking of the EDT here, which is a boring blue cylinder.

Also EL Private Collection (dull), Bal a Versailles (plasticky) and if I am honest, the Opium Fleur de Shanghai (dull and plasticky!).
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I used the original Fendi as a signature scent for years....I loved the fragrance but always felt a little sad at how dull and bleh the bottle was.

My bottle of Givenchy III is kind of boring, too.

That said, I don't think I have anything that's aggressively ugly...although most of my collection does reside in decant bottles, lol. My prettiest is probably my Feminite de Bois (old Shiseido version) or Mitsouko miniature.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    YSL's Nu bottle is truly ugly, looks a bit like an automotive replacement part. It deserved better and I blame the bottle for its poor commercial showing.
    I actually like that and I would also give it points for practicality - you just can't break that bottle (at least as easily as the "regular' perfume bottles).

The packaging of CdG synthetic series ... yuck!

Really do not like the MDCI bust bottles--so reminiscent of over-confident lawn statuary. In that same regard (and this is going very much against the popular grain), the abstraction that is Organza Indecence, the cap of which (in pre-Alien days) reminded me of the headwear of a sci-fi monster as rendered in a cartoon and the bottle of which again strikes a statuary chord, perhaps this time set in the middle of a fountain in a suburban lawn.

Yes, I think the Organza Indecence bottle is fairly fugly, too. And I agree with you, Orion, about the MDCI bottles, too. I've only ever seen them in pics, but your description..."over-confident lawn statuary", is funny and apt! At least some bottles are ugly because they're meant to be tacky or purely functional. But the pseudo-arty ones are kinda funny.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 18th August 2009 at 07:39 PM.

Yeah, Organza Indecence is my ugliest bottle. I keep it tucked away and out of sight.

I also find my bottle of Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka really ugly. It's not outrageously ugly like Organza Indecence, but it's just ugly in a sad way because the PdN packaging makes the fragrances look so cheap and undesirable when they're really very high-quality. I think that if PdN had very slick modern packaging the brand would be noticed a lot more. Of course, then they'd be priced a lot higher, so maybe I should appreciate the bottle!

I'm glad someone brought up MDCI. The amazing thing is that they actually charge hundreds of dollars extra to have a tacky bust stuck on the bottle! I just cannot fathom that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post

The packaging of CdG synthetic series ... yuck!
    I don't know. The bottle kind of fits the theme. What would be horrid for Carnal Flower works well for Garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I don't know. The bottle kind of fits the theme. What would be horrid for Carnal Flower works well for Garage.
    It does fit, I agree. Nevertheless, ugly.
    Another contender (mercifully gone from my collection)

A true Versace - most of their bottles look just as bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    LOL! I totally agree! It's very difficult to d*cant from and dribbles down the front even when I'm just spraying myself. I also dislike the plastic frame it's supposed to fit into, and one of the short flaps on the plastic box snapped off almost immediately. And why so much plastic? A transparent, plastic box? Seriously? Heavenly juice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I dislike black opaque bottles, as well as bottles that lie on their sides. Black Cashmere is both.
    Yes to both of these points. The worst came when I noticed this similarity one day:

Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Really do not like the MDCI bust bottles--so reminiscent of over-confident lawn statuary. In that same regard (and this is going very much against the popular grain), the abstraction that is Organza Indecence, the cap of which (in pre-Alien days) reminded me of the headwear of a sci-fi monster as rendered in a cartoon and the bottle of which again strikes a statuary chord, perhaps this time set in the middle of a fountain in a suburban lawn.
    Yes, the bottles are so OTT and top heavy - much like the Sisley Eau De Soir bottle which I do not have much love for despite how beautiful the SAs tell me they are and how collectible. I don't particularly like MPG bottles which seem to be the same kind Eau de Soir comes in minus the cap .

Darwinia - the Versace is so very ugly - no proportion at all .
    An Oud Girl - I really thought I was looking at 2 'mouses' !!!!!!! I see now that one is minus the cord and is a perfume bottle ???
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th August 2009 at 10:13 PM.

I am stuck on this one:

Whenever I hear "ugly bottle" I think this. It looks dangerous too. Like it could poke someone's eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I am stuck on this one:

Whenever I hear "ugly bottle" I think this. It looks dangerous too. Like it could poke someone's eye out.
    MWAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry but it just looks hilarious! LMAO!

Basenotes Institution

MWAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry but it just looks hilarious! LMAO!

I have to agree with Darwinia - whoever OK'ed that design needs to be shot .

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post

Yes to both of these points. The worst came when I noticed this similarity one day:

that's hilarious!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I don't have it and have never seen it up close but I remember reading it is considered almost "kult" these days. I'd buy one!

There are some funny ones here:

http://www.peredepierre.com/2009/08/fugly-bottles.html

I had not seen the Deisel bottle, hideous
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    There are some funny ones here:

http://www.peredepierre.com/2009/08/fugly-bottles.html

I had not seen the Deisel bottle, hideous
    Speaking of Diesel...

Toxic? Window cleaner? Bug spray?

Basenotes Institution

http://www.bellasugar.com/1501028 - their ugly perfume bottle picture collection. I don't think ALL of the bottles in the article are that ugly.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th August 2009 at 10:52 PM.

Speaking of Diesel...

Toxic? Window cleaner? Bug spray?
    WAT were they thinking??

Love your Dune quote btw
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    http://www.bellasugar.com/1501028 - their ugly perfume bottle picture collection. I don't think ALL of the bottles in the article are that ugly.
    Hilarious! I love the furry one, as well as the depressed little girl.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    The MJ hologram *facepalm* - IMO beats Bond's sparkly bling hands down in "tacky"
    The one on the left of Lempicka (Cotton Blossom) and the last bottle of the whole selection (Lambada slugs) - poor, misshapen Quasimodos, absolutely vile.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Love your Dune quote btw
    Thank you BTW I bought DUNE and Secret Melange just for their name...
    EOOT
    Last edited by Darwinia; 18th August 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    over-confident lawn statuary.

Basenotes Institution

Chapeau Bleu by Marina Picasso - thankfully not in my wardrobe. It's enough to give you nightmares !

Quick question - how do you all insert images into your posts? I still don't know how to do that. Hilarious thread btw.

Thanks!
    Jenny
    Last edited by JitterpigJen; 19th August 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Oh, dear LORD. There are some UGLY bottles out there! The moral of the story? Either go very minimalist (Classic Chanel, New Lutens, etc...) or get a powerhouse to design for you (Baccarat or Lalique for Guerlain, for example)

Has Simon Pearce ever designed a mass market bottle? Come the Revolution, when I am named Philosopher Queen, I'll have him design the bottle for L'Eau de Mo.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by JitterpigJen View Post
    Quick question - how do you all insert images into your posts? I still don't know how to do that. Hilarious thread btw.

Thanks!
    Jenny

You go to tinypic.com or another similar site, upload the pic there, copy the image code [IMG]....[/IMG], paste it here.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Oh, dear LORD. There are some UGLY bottles out there! The moral of the story? Either go very minimalist (Classic Chanel, New Lutens, etc...) or get a powerhouse to design for you (Baccarat or Lalique for Guerlain, for example)

Has Simon Pearce ever designed a mass market bottle? Come the Revolution, when I am named Philosopher Queen, I'll have him design the bottle for L'Eau de Mo
    L'Eau de Mo has a great ring to it !

LouLou - for the cheap plastic look,

Don't judge LouLou based on the EDP spray - I think the parfum bottle is wonderful, an homage to Hudnut's Le Debut

There's a fine line between cute/quirky/unique and tacky/sappy/ugly! I actually like quite a few of the examples posted as members of the former category (quirky). I also think quite a few of them worked in the parfum incarnation, but didn't work as well in the cheaper EDT or EDP version. The Donna Karan Femme is a good example. The EDP looks like a duck, while the parfum reminds me of a regal African Queen.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    There's a fine line between cute/quirky/unique and tacky/sappy/ugly! I actually like quite a few of the examples posted as members of the former category (quirky). I also think quite a few of them worked in the parfum incarnation, but didn't work as well in the cheaper EDT or EDP version. The Donna Karan Femme is a good example. The EDP looks like a duck, while the parfum reminds me of a regal African Queen.

I agree with you there - the parfum version is like sculpture- it's quite beautiful .

Don't judge LouLou based on the EDP spray - I think the parfum bottle is wonderful, an homage to Hudnut's Le Debut
    However an homage in plastic ... - seriously I hope it's not.
    I don't mind the shape per se but a simple shape combined with cheap-looking plastic makes one ugly bottle.
    Last edited by Darwinia; 19th August 2009 at 05:20 AM.

Dependent

The worst came when I noticed this similarity one day:

:toppie:

However an homage in plastic ... - seriously I hope it's not.
    I don't mind the shape per se but a simple shape combined with cheap-looking plastic makes one ugly bottle.
    No, its not plastic. The bottle is glass and the top is metal.

No, its not plastic. The bottle is glass and the top is metal.
    Then I take back what I've said

I actually really like the LouLou edp spray...more so than the parfum. I think it may have been the inspiration for some of the Mugler Alien packaging.

Any bottle that won't stand upright is a pet peeve of mine. Won't stop me from buying/wearing, but how the hell do you store them? In particular, some of the CDG's and Azzaro Woman Now. YSL Nu is a little strange..
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    I actually really like the LouLou edp spray...more so than the parfum. I think it may have been the inspiration for some of the Mugler Alien packaging.

I love both of those, I must confess, and also the Alien citrine colored bottle:

I can see how some might think it's ugly, but I can't tear my eyes away and I want to hold it in my hand.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 19th August 2009 at 08:05 PM.

My Eau d'Italie bottle really stands out, and not in a good way. I guess it's unique, and the bottle is actually high quality glass, but it just doesn't look nice next to the others in my collection. Confirms that I'm more drawn to a fragrance in a nice bottle/box.

I think it would be Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane - the bottle is in old-fasioned style, very heavy. I don't like it, so I keep it hidden

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie125 View Post
    I think it would be Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane - the bottle is in old-fasioned style, very heavy. I don't like it, so I keep it hidden
    Aggie! :wave: Good to see you love!

Aggie! :wave: Good to see you love!
    :wave: You too!